• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
He got the moves :O n finally see the armor yeh.
That was high octane :p Is all of battle road victory like that?
This taught me two things, 1. Alef is a Chad 2. The Dragon Quest universe is underappreciated in terms of power.

And yes a lot of Battle Road Victory is like that:

D

Deleted member

This taught me two things, 1. Alef is a Chad 2. The Dragon Quest universe is underappreciated in terms of power.

And yes a lot of Battle Road Victory is like that:

Only shame of these videos is that there doesn't seem to be anything regarding Femdrick. But on the other hand, we got ones for each the 3 potential wives from V and from other minor characters in the series. This one is from one of the characters of Dragon Quest Swords on the Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Only shame of these videos is that there doesn't seem to be anything regarding Femdrick. But on the other hand, we got ones for each the 3 potential wives from V and from other minor characters in the series. This one is from one of the characters of Dragon Quest Swords on the Wii.
Is Dragon Quest Swords a good game? Never really had the interest to take a look.

At least Sofia is in Battle Road Victory

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That was awesome. My kind of character :D
I bet there's tons of characters that would be great to see besides the heroes.
I'd totally love a dragon quest fighting game XD

Is Dragon Quest Swords a good game? Never really had the interest to take a look.

Yes, I wouldnt mind seeing a lot more of her :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That was awesome. My kind of character :D
I bet there's tons of characters that would be great to see besides the heroes.
I'd totally love a dragon quest fighting game XD

Yes, I wouldnt mind seeing a lot more of her :)
I want a Dragon Quest fighting game too. Have all the heroes and not just the side characters this time around too. That would be incredible. I was actually talking to a friend on discord, for Dragon Ball Fighterz imagine characters outside of DB by Toriyama. So like Erdrick fighting Goku or Crono from Chrono Trigger.

D

Deleted member

Haven't taken a deep look to it honestly, it seems that it has a few issues to it like the focus in the use of wagglan (Wii game so, it's kinda their thing) and I'm told is a bit short. I'll try it later as I got it for about 6-8 bucks.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want a Dragon Quest fighting game too. Have all the heroes and not just the side characters this time around too. That would be incredible. I was actually talking to a friend on discord, for Dragon Ball Fighterz imagine characters outside of DB by Toriyama. So like Erdrick fighting Goku or Crono from Chrono Trigger.
Yes. Altho i dont want a crossover like that if it means less characters from each franchise. I want a good amount of party members and side characters in it :p
Also, more gals :), Anyway it's just a really cool idea, and I think it could be a hit in japan at least. I think it's worth it for SE to consider spin offs like that (so long as it's high quality)

In the meantime, we might have something cool for smash. If the news and info can start rolling ;p

D

Deleted member

Yes. Altho i dont want a crossover like that if it means less characters from each franchise. I want a good amount of party members and side characters in it :p
Also, more gals :), Anyway it's just a really cool idea, and I think it could be a hit in japan at least. I think it's worth it for SE to consider spin offs like that (so long as it's high quality)

In the meantime, we might have something cool for smash. If the news and info can start rolling ;p
Man now I want it too... There's a lot they could do with it, a 2D fighting game would probably be huge in Japan if done right. The Heroes games show that there's potential for lots of varied and unique movesets too.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Dragon Garow Lee continues to impress me.

Holy **** this man power-leveled way above what he needed for that fight.
Arguably the strongest hero in the entire franchise with the way he demolished that dragon with little effort.

I also found this person. Holy ****

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Saw the trailer last night.
I was completely blown away! I still am! I mean it came out of nowhere and it looks so good!
It eats me a little that they didn’t go for Toriyama’s artsyle, but maybe it’s because apparently it isn’t too appreciated in the west? I don’t even know if the movie’s focus is to have a workdwide screening (I hope I can go see it at a theatre! It’d be the closest to getting together with other DQ fans).

I don’t think it was a bad choice to go for DQV first. I mean, it has great storytelling! Remember FF went for its own standalone thing... and that turned out a little meh. Try could have skipped right down to AC.

But here? It’s great. Animation looks sick. I immediately thought “This looks like how to train your Dragon... Quest”. Which is far from a bad thing. I loved that movie.

You guys think they're going to try and tell all of 5's story in one movie? Or try turn it into 2 or 3 movies?

I think if they do break it up, the statue moment will probably be the endpoint of the movie.
I was just asking myself this this morning. Could they cram such story-heavy game into a single movie?
Also... give me Deborah dang it. Even if she’s there for comic relief only.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Dragon Quest Swords is awesome it's a underrated gem of a game and it deserves the love here's a good review of the game and how I was exposed to the game I encourage you to check it out it's a classic in my book not as good as the others but still good.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Dragon Quest Swords is awesome it's a underrated gem of a game and it deserves the love here's a good review of the game and how I was exposed to the game I encourage you to check it out it's a classic in my book not as good as the others but still good.
Well I found a copy at my local game trader so I'll think about picking it up when I get the chance (with money of course)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
DQ Swords is the last game in the series that I finished. I loved it. I really wish it were its own spinoff series parallel to the main series.
Why go the usual anime action rpg route when they can go on-rails like DQS did? It was amazing!

Little backstory, I needed a game to play with one hand while I held my newborn son with the other. Had to learn to play using small flicks of the wiimote.
Btw the music in the game is great! And other than the ones reused from 3 and 8, the originals were composed by a different person, and rocked hard!

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
hey however you get a copy just enjoy
Just watch the vid, while I'm not a huge fan of motion controls, i'll consider it since it still is a Dragon Quest story through and through.

Little backstory, I needed a game to play with one hand while I held my newborn son with the other. Had to learn to play using small flicks of the wiimote.
Btw the music in the game is great! And other than the ones reused from 3 and 8, the originals were composed by a different person, and rocked hard!
That's adorable!

D

Deleted member

I was wondering after watching the DQV movie trailer, maybe stupid question, but what do you think will happen when Toriyama stops doing the character designs?

Does he has alumni working with him that will take over when he stops? Or do you think they will bring over other artists to make the character designs?

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering after watching the DQV movie trailer, maybe stupid question, but what do you think will happen when Toriyama stops doing the character designs?

Does he has alumni working with him that will take over when he stops? Or do you think they will bring over other artists to make the character designs?
Its a mystery really, I think it will be people simulating it, but there is no doubt once the trio is out DQ will feel very different.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

IIRC he didn't do them at all for XI-- they instead got someone to mimic his style (it's close, but the shading is slightly different from Toriyama's art and there's more detailing than he usually bothers with).
...Reading up on it, Toriyama's technically the character designer but he only gave a few broad pointers: https://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/...yama-design-dragon-quest-xis-main-characters/

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I can possibly see the creators of DQ bringing in Toriyamas successor or someone that knows his style. Dragon Garow Lee for example or Toritaro. Perhaps they'll have a shift of artist that will go in a completely different direction. I'm indeed curious.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, Toriyama already has other, younger people that draw the manga for him now. If he stops, I assume DQ will just get one of them rather than try and change the art style(though, looking at this movie, I could be completely wrong).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m so glad this movie’s coming soon. I hope it comes to the west with a great dub!

So between DQXIs, DQ:YS and a hopeful Erdrick in Smash, I really hope this puts DQ high on everyone’s radar.

D

Deleted member

I’m so glad this movie’s coming soon. I hope it comes to the west with a great dub!

So between DQXIs, DQ:YS and a hopeful Erdrick in Smash, I really hope this puts DQ high on everyone’s radar.
The movie's first trailer has had tons of positive reception from even non fans, which makes me really happy. Even if we don't make it for Smash now is an amazing time to be a DQ fan.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Someone in the smash discord said that this might be the Dragon Quest golden age. I disagree, if anything it's more of a silver age if we are using comic terms.

D

Deleted member

Tansut has just reaffirmed what he's said in the past, that Erdrick is still coming but that he doesn't know when. He also got the info from the same source that told him Cloud was coming:
1554495992482.png

675467567.PNG

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Tansut has just reaffirmed what he's said in the past, that Erdrick is still coming but that he doesn't know when. He also got the info from the same source that told him Cloud was coming:
View attachment 204933
View attachment 204934
thx, that's cool. I think knowing the back story a little helps too. Some people thought he only found out right before cloud was gonna be dropped.
I wonder if his main source is still a good one for info, but in any case it makes me take tansut's side with a bit more weight.

I'm surprised it's taking this long to reveal the second dlc fighter, but at least we have some hope for who it could be for now ;p

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm surprised it's taking this long to reveal the second dlc fighter, but at least we have some hope for who it could be for now ;p
Why does it have to be like this, by the time I finish my finals the second dlc character is probably gonna be revealed, it's like some sick joke lol

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 204933
View attachment 204934
One funny, or at least curious, thing is how Cloud was pricy to be putted in Smash. Instead Erdrick is always presented as an active action by SE to put him in.
It interestingly shows the differences between Square and Enix.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One funny, or at least curious, thing is how Cloud was pricy to be putted in Smash. Instead Erdrick is always presented as an active action by SE to put him in.
It interestingly shows the differences between Square and Enix.
I've always heard about how Square and Enix still operate rather independently despite being merged, which is really interesting. There's a lot of DQ related promos done with other companies in Japan, which makes me think the main trio is a lot more flexible with the IP than the rest of their company would make you believe. They're protective, but not unwilling to work.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I've always heard about how Square and Enix still operate rather independently despite being merged, which is really interesting. There's a lot of DQ related promos done with other companies in Japan, which makes me think the main trio is a lot more flexible with the IP than the rest of their company would make you believe. They're protective, but not unwilling to work.
As I've once said. Square Enix is insanely bi-polar. Kind of realized that when you compare Final Fantasy 15, an incredibly flawed but enjoyable game, and Dragon Quest 11, an almost perfect game that was a celebration to the franchise (and my personal favourite game of all time along with several others).

This is hilarious

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

thx, that's cool. I think knowing the back story a little helps too. Some people thought he only found out right before cloud was gonna be dropped.
I wonder if his main source is still a good one for info, but in any case it makes me take tansut's side with a bit more weight.

Yeah. Realistically, Tansut was always an ambiguously credible leaker over the subject. The issue is that we never really came out to explain his conditions. His recent post answers questions a lot of people have over the context. I think him coming out and saying the same source that leaked Cloud is leaking Erdrick is the nail in the coffin. Out of every leaker, including Vergeben, this is practically 99%.

When he gets revealed is a crap shoot. I imagine since leakers know a lot about Erdrick but not about other potential DLC after a potential Microsoft character, Erdrick has to be next. Whether it's revealed this month or E3 remains a total mystery still.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As I've once said. Square Enix is insanely bi-polar. Kind of realized that when you compare Final Fantasy 15, an incredibly flawed but enjoyable game, and Dragon Quest 11, an almost perfect game that was a celebration to the franchise (and my personal favourite game of all time along with several others).

This is hilarious
Okay that was pretty cool. Especially seeing all the heroes coming together.
I laughed at the end when the inn zoomed, lol.

Currently in the process of creating a Erdrick moveset if you guys want to take a look:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oR6wfDGw8BrW_eCfeRkNn2iP27D_f1cELi_PfAG04cY/edit?usp=sharing
Keep it up! I'll check back later, but I saw you're using the multiple weapons approach, which I dont mind seeing and that can maybe make people not see the character as just another sword user. That said I still like them with just sword too. Let's see what sakurai thought up (if they really are in.) ;p

Yeah. Realistically, Tansut was always an ambiguously credible leaker over the subject. The issue is that we never really came out to explain his conditions. His recent post answers questions a lot of people have over the context. I think him coming out and saying the same source that leaked Cloud is leaking Erdrick is the nail in the coffin. Out of every leaker, including Vergeben, this is practically 99%.

When he gets revealed is a crap shoot. I imagine since leakers know a lot about Erdrick but not about other potential DLC after a potential Microsoft character, Erdrick has to be next. Whether it's revealed this month or E3 remains a total mystery still.
I get that people are taking it as giving erdrick a super high chance, but even with a backstory, it still doesn't give him more credibility as he's only had one claim (cloud) before that, and we dont know much about his main source. We do know it was good enough to get cloud when no one else did, so yeah it's a big boost. I'm maybe at 70%. Which is still really good. I just really need for info to be rolling in i think. Dont let that stop you or others from being happy about high chances tho ;p

Erdrick is most likely next, just especially because the character makes most sense with 'brave'. And I think it'll definitely take less time from the reveal to being downloadable than joker because they have to work on multiple characters at a time to meet the 2020 timeline. ;)

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The thing about Female Erdrick, I just realized, is that her looks as we know it comes from the SNES and GBC versions, yet she is also in the NES version, though her sprite is the same as that of male Erdrick, and this aligns with the text that never seems to realize she is a girl. So you never know, every time you see 'normal' Erdrick you could just be seeing NES version female Erdrick. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom