• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the best example of a 3d game that helped pushed what came before in 2d sprites is the original Metal Gear Solid.
Agreed.

Though, to be fair, there was never a 16-bit Metal Gear game to really push the limits of the 2d medium before the series transitioned into 3d.

Like...I might not think Ocarina is better than LttP, but I DO think it's better than Zelda 2...

Metal Gear is like a franchise that never had a Mario World or a LttP or a Mega Man X.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Agreed.

Though, to be fair, there was never a 16-bit Metal Gear game to really push the limits of the 2d medium before the series transitioned into 3d.

Like...I might not think Ocarina is better than LttP, but I DO think it's better than Zelda 2...

Metal Gear is like a franchise that never had a Mario World or a LttP or a Mega Man X.
Zelda 2 is a gem dude.

Yep! The first one is based on his Kenshin design

You both brough up an interesting point ;p I actually dont know much about the kenshin design. It doesnt seem to fit with the art from before. I wonder why blond hair? well at least it's a different hair color than the others.

D

Deleted member

My dream alt for Erdrick is Eight from Dragon Quest 8.

Having him in Smash even that way is enough to make me incredibly emotional.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Agreed.

That I can completely agree with. MG2 is just a really nice looking 8-bit game because of the MSX. Another example I'd argue was still good is Breath of Fire 3. Just a perfect transition

Like compare this

To this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm allergic to pants :p

Joking aside, I was raised during the GameCube/PS2 era, so I have nothing but respect for everything that came before it.

I think the best example of a 3d game that helped pushed what came before in 2d sprites is the original Metal Gear Solid.

EDIT:

Pick your favorite
I’ll do so, thanks!

Here’s my new avatar:
2CCEB7A0-BFA4-4C28-96FF-C0D25A120AA8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Zelda 2 is a gem dude.

You both brough up an interesting point ;p I actually dont know much about the kenshin design. It doesnt seem to fit with the art from before. I wonder why blond hair? well at least it's a different hair color than the others.
Perhaps to compensate for the lack of party members, the first hero is also a saiyan :p. Man I wish we had a Dragon Quest x Dragon Ball crossover.

My dream alt for Erdrick is Eight from Dragon Quest 8.

Having him in Smash even that way is enough to make me incredibly emotional.
I really need to get around to playing DQ8 one of these days. I'm obviously a fan of 11 and I'm having a blast with 3, so I'll get around to playing 8 eventually.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps to compensate for the lack of party members, the first hero is also a saiyan :p. Man I wish we had a Dragon Quest x Dragon Ball crossover.

I really need to get around to playing DQ8 one of these days. I'm obviously a fan of 11 and I'm having a blast with 3, so I'll get around to playing 8 eventually.
Pick the 3DS port.
As someone who has the heart close to the PS2 version, I feel like the 3DS port does complete justice to that gem of a game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pick the 3DS port.
As someone who has the heart close to the PS2 version, I feel like the 3DS port does complete justice to that gem of a game.
Definitely worth it for the 2 extra characters. I found it kinda lacking in the original. Probably will pick it up if i find it cheap.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Pick the 3DS port.
Dragon Quest 8 is actually the very first game I've ever bought in the series (ps2), I just wasn't really into it at the time, until 11 became cocaine to me lol.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I still feel like DQV was probably the wrong one to go for, but it does look nice. Mixed on the art style, but it's interesting to see a different take, I guess, and it doesn't look cheap like I was afraid it might.

I figured they'd leave out Debora, but I'm still pretty annoyed.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I still feel like DQV was probably the wrong one to go for, but it does look nice. Mixed on the art style, but it's interesting to see a different take, I guess, and it doesn't look cheap like I was afraid it might.

I figured they'd leave out Debora, but I'm still pretty annoyed.
Is that confirmed? This is only the first trailer

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Some of you were talking about how N64 games were generally worse than their SNES counterparts and cited RPGs as an example but have you heard of a little masterpiece some of you may recognize as "Paper Mario"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Some of you were talking about how N64 games were generally worse than their SNES counterparts and cited RPGs as an example but have you heard of a little masterpiece some of you may recognize as "Paper Mario"
Which was not as good as it's predecessor Super Mario RPG(except it's art style).

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
That's a highly debatable point, but you definitely wouldn't have wanted to have all your eggs in the N64 basket if you were an RPG fan. I wasn't in that position myself, but I did spend a couple of years with an OG Xbox as my main console, and lemme tell ya: golden age Bioware games were great, but they absolutely did not make up for not having a PS2.

I wonder why Dragon Quest ended up on PS1 over N64, actually. The issues between Square and Nintendo are well documented, but I've never looked into what Enix's deal was. They did release a couple of N64 games like Mischief Makers. Of course, the DQVII that actually released couldn't have worked as an N64 game, so if the plan was always to try something that ambitious I guess a cartridge console may have been off the table from page 1.

Is that confirmed? This is only the first trailer
Nobody's come out and said it, but I'm sure they'd have shown her off if she was present. They've announced the voice actors for a bunch of characters and she's not on the list. She's left out more often than she isn't; I'm not holding my breath.

D

Deleted member

That's a highly debatable point, but you definitely wouldn't have wanted to have all your eggs in the N64 basket if you were an RPG fan. I wasn't in that position myself, but I did spend a couple of years with an OG Xbox as my main console, and lemme tell ya: golden age Bioware games were great, but they absolutely did not make up for not having a PS2.

I wonder why Dragon Quest ended up on PS1 over N64, actually. The issues between Square and Nintendo are well documented, but I've never looked into what Enix's deal was. They did release a couple of N64 games like Mischief Makers. Of course, the DQVII that actually released couldn't have worked as an N64 game, so if the plan was always to try something that ambitious I guess a cartridge console may have been off the table from page 1.

Nobody's come out and said it, but I'm sure they'd have shown her off if she was present. They've announced the voice actors for a bunch of characters and she's not on the list. She's left out more often than she isn't; I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, I think they knew their limitations from the start. They wanted to go as big as they could for the next game, and a cartridge wouldn't be feasible.

D

Deleted member

This is wrong. Paper Mario is better than all SNES RPGs combined.

Yes, all of them.
Paper Mario is good, but wouldn't really call it better than most SNES RPGs though. Especially with great ones like Chrono Trigger, FFV and VI, Soul Blazer, SMRPG (which I would put at the same level), even the OG DQV come on it which is arguably one of the strongest in the franchise.

It's quite unique though and thats something to be recognized and, especially since after playing TTYD last December, I think that it is the best Paper Mario entry. Now remembering it, apart from PM, the Pokemon Stadium titles and Ogre Battle 64 from what I recall, the N64 was really lacking in the JRPG department.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Paper Mario is good, but wouldn't really call it better than most SNES RPGs though. Especially with great ones like Chrono Trigger, FFV and VI, Soul Blazer, SMRPG (which I would put at the same level), even the OG DQV come on it which is arguably one of the strongest in the franchise.

It's quite unique though and thats something to be recognized and, especially since after playing TTYD last December, I think that it is the best Paper Mario entry. Now remembering it, apart from PM, the Pokemon Stadium titles and Ogre Battle 64 from what I recall, the N64 was really lacking in the JRPG department.
Thousand Year Door is honestly the only PM game I have, and I still haven't played yet LOL. Honestly I haven't really played a proper SNES rpg (despite the rpgs during this era being considered the pinnacle/renaissance). I will thank the SNES/Super Famicom for having these games though, now Dragon Quest 1-6 is on that console (and hopefully translated) so it makes it even better. I do wish the 64 had rpgs, it would be interesting to see that genre on that console and no Quest 64 doesn't count ever.

Also Teeb147 Teeb147

Sofia.jpg

(I just realized that I'm playing DQ3 on SNES as we speak. Holy crap my memory is garbage)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

No Paper Mario is better than all of those games, especially the ones you listed that I haven't played yet.

In all seriousness I thought I was being clear that I was being partly facetious. I don't like DarthEnderX's absolutism in saying the N64 era was bad because "it was worse than the previous generation" so I similarly exaggerated. They're free to believe that but I disagree with them on that front.

Nonetheless Paper Mario is near and dear to my heart and I believe it has several things over Super Mario RPG so I like it more.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thousand Year Door is honestly the only PM game I have, and I still haven't played yet LOL. Honestly I haven't really played a proper SNES rpg (despite the rpgs during this era being considered the pinnacle/renaissance). I will thank the SNES/Super Famicom for having these games though, now Dragon Quest 1-6 is on that console (and hopefully translated) so it makes it even better. I do wish the 64 had rpgs, it would be interesting to see that genre on that console and no Quest 64 doesn't count ever.

Also Teeb147 Teeb147

View attachment 204463

(I just realized that I'm playing DQ3 on SNES as we speak. Holy crap my memory is garbage)
Ok I really like that one :) She jumped out at me.
I really like the artstyle, the gloss and how they did the hair; it looks simple but so cool at the same time.

As for Paper Mario, I think it's a great rpg and I would even say the n64 one was really well made. I had trouble getting into the other ones a bit, but i might give the gamecube one a chance sometime. Also, I wouldn't compare paper mario with mario rpg because they feel very different to me. If I had to choose one I like better I'd go with Mario RPG but would've liked to see both series be developped really. There's a different charm in smrpg. The N64 didn't really have a lot of other good rpgs, imo, but that's what the ps1 was for ;p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No Paper Mario is better than all of those games, especially the ones you listed that I haven't played yet.

In all seriousness I thought I was being clear that I was being partly facetious. I don't like DarthEnderX's absolutism in saying the N64 era was bad because "it was worse than the previous generation" so I similarly exaggerated. They're free to believe that but I disagree with them on that front.

Nonetheless Paper Mario is near and dear to my heart and I believe it has several things over Super Mario RPG so I like it more.
I see, I think I was being a bit biased myself as well before so sorry about that. I like the 5th generation and the N64 but not as much as other eras from Nintendo. I feel that overall while a lot Nintendo titles were great, a lot of the successes from milking Mario with multiple spinoffs and Pokemon becoming a Juggernaut of a franchise in an instant hampered a lot of the varied output that Nintendo had compared to the beginning of the N64 (which felt more noticeable with the lack of third party games when compared with the previous gen). I find that Nintendo's output was pretty good at the beginning but suddenly started to decrease, it reminds me a bit of how the Wii era ended.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The SNES was like the RPG Machine. So many classic RPGs came out of that system its impossible to count.

Drahon Quest and Final Fantasy is just scraping the surface, really.

D

Deleted member

The SNES was like the RPG Machine. So many classic RPGs came out of that system its impossible to count.

Drahon Quest and Final Fantasy is just scraping the surface, really.
Yup, we also have Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, Secret Of Mana, Zelda, etc...

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
wonder why Dragon Quest ended up on PS1 over N64, actually.
It's not hard to guess. The 64 was struggling hard on Japan, and the game would have to be released not on the console proper but on a peripheral which I think was the DD.

If they had stayed with Nintendo, however, I wonder how this would change things.

D

Deleted member

Damn.

I've been watching the trailers for the Joker and Dragon Quest V movies without a stop since yesterday.

I just loved them a lot.

D

Deleted member

What the ****? Why does this actually look good?
Because it has a lot of effort behind it, that’s for sure.

Even as someone who loves 2D animation more, I love how everything looked in the trailer.
I wish more 3D movies could look like this trailer, even if they have to release later because of it.

I hope I enjoy the Dragon Quest V movie as much as Into The Spider-Verse.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, Erdrick kinda looks like DBZ's Trunks weilding Marth's Falchion.
Alef you mean? (DQ1)
At least that's the name people use for him. I find Luminary looks more like trunks, but but it does kinda look like super saiyan hair ;p

What I dont know is why he doesn't have his Dragon Warrior armor in that design.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You guys think they're going to try and tell all of 5's story in one movie? Or try turn it into 2 or 3 movies?

I think if they do break it up, the statue moment will probably be the endpoint of the movie.

D

Deleted member

You guys think they're going to try and tell all of 5's story in one movie? Or try turn it into 2 or 3 movies?

I think if they do break it up, the statue moment will probably be the endpoint of the movie.
Assuming it's 2 hours long, I see it being divided into the first 30 minutes being the first generation, the next hour being the second generation, and the last 30 minutes being the third generation.
The first generation would be the opening followed mainly by the events at Coburg and its aftermath, the second would more or less be a condensed version of its entirety, mainly focusing on the most important events, and the third would mainly introduce the kids and see the journey to Mt. Zugzwang.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Alef you mean? (DQ1)
At least that's the name people use for him. I find Luminary looks more like trunks, but but it does kinda look like super saiyan hair ;p

What I dont know is why he doesn't have his Dragon Warrior armor in that design.

HOHOHOHOHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom