• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Eight even has a small partner to support him, which is also cool.
Sword users should get more love, honestly.
interesting avatar. dividing one like that doesnt look as bad as i had in mind. maybe i should just put jane and girl erdrick in one and then i wont have to draw it myself XD
eh we'll see :p

we've got plenty of normal sword users. thankfully we got room for some heroes :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Sword boys are best boys especially If there not from fire emblem
Eight even has a small partner to support him, which is also cool.
Sword users should get more love, honestly.
I agree. Most people kind of have to realize that just because you have a sword doesn't mean you can't be unique. Every sword character requested has a quirk entirely their own.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Like with swordsmen, the issue with stages is that so many themes have been scooped up already. Zoma's castle is the obvious choice, with appearances from some bosses and other monsters, but we just got Dracula's Castle, and there's no competing with the Castlevania. That's the way it goes for a lot of options.

I personally hope we don't end up with a Dream Land GB or Duck Hunt type retro stage. That would sidestep the issue of having yet another plain castle or tower or flying palace, but I'm just not crazy about that style. G&W is one thing, but seeing characters like Duck Hunt or Pac updated to fit with the rest of the cast but then clash visually with their own stage is deeply weird.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like with swordsmen, the issue with stages is that so many themes have been scooped up already. Zoma's castle is the obvious choice, with appearances from some bosses and other monsters, but we just got Dracula's Castle, and there's no competing with the Castlevania. That's the way it goes for a lot of options.

I personally hope we don't end up with a Dream Land GB or Duck Hunt type retro stage. That would sidestep the issue of having yet another plain castle or tower or flying palace, but I'm just not crazy about that style. G&W is one thing, but seeing characters like Duck Hunt or Pac updated to fit with the rest of the cast but then clash visually with their own stage is deeply weird.
I really like what shinhed-echi shinhed-echi came up with:
So fellas. What's your ideal stage for your DQ rep if (s)he were to get in Smash? And I'm not talking about the most likely scenario. I mean, what would be your IDEAL stage like?

My ideal stages would be similar in concept. Basically, they'd be like the Pilotwings / Skyward Sword / Delfino style stages, where they tour around a particular location.

Alefgard
The playable characters would fight on top of Ramia (yeah... I know she technically doesn't fly through Alefgard, but bear with me) Stage would start in Tatangel castle. Ramia would soar above and around the castle, before flying above Tatengel town. Soars through the fields, and you can get a glimpse of the tower where Rubiss was/is imprisoned.
Kol appears in the background, Ramia soars above the mountains and canal that is connected by the dungeon (that in DQ1 was where Princess Gwaelyn was held captive) you can see the two workers cheering at the south entrance, since they finished digging the tunnel.
Then you float atop of Rimuldar. Ramia stops for a while, circling the town.

Then she flies down south to Caitlin, where Golem was finished and is now guarding the entrance.
Ramia carries on her tour, taking you to Damdara where she circles around and heads for Zoma's castle. There, we see Dragonlord on the castle roof, before he raises his scepter and transforms into his dragon self and chases you.
This part would be the most hazardous of the whole tour, where Dragonlord breathes fire (missing by a lot, managing to cover only both blastzones from the sides, one at a time). The real hazard here is Ramia's sharp tilting, which makes it harder to get back to the stage.

Ramia flies through the dungeon (north of Damdara) and loses Dragonlord, then makes it out through the other side, and flies over Tatengel castle, repeating the stage.

...phew... Well, that's my stage idea for Alefgard.

2) Dragon Quest
Same concept as before, you fight on top of Ramia, except she travels through different iconic scenarios of different DQ games.
Like... You witness Ortega's battle with the dragon on top of the volcano, and see how both fall inside.
You fly over the top of Zenithia tower and above the castle.
You fly through and endless ocean as Islands start materializing out of nowhere.
You fly around Trodain castle as it's being cursed with giant thorny vines.
You witness how a gigantic beam of red light shatters the earth and sky.

etc.
Aside that though, yeah Zoma's Castle does seem to be the obvious safe pick. At the very least I'd like for Zoma to appear as a stage boss as well.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hope they don't go by that. Much probably we will get Alefgard as stage and it have a excellent potential to be the best travelling Stage of all, there is a lot of place types it can go, and ending in Zoma's castle. And in all the way we can find a lot of monsters and some could even be hazards.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Thoughts?
Lloyd: Lloyd is one of the characters I think is the poster child of Nintendo bias. I'm almost positive that Nintendo is not going to add the character that the Nintendo/Smash fan wants. They are more concerned with getting new demographics into Smash and if they are aiming to get the Tales demographic then it'll likely be Yuri since that's the character the Tales fanbase cares more about.

Monster Hunter: I'm of the firm belief that if Monster Hunter was gonna be in Smash it would have been in base. The thing that MH fans like is the Monster battles, not necessarily the hunter you play as. We got an incredibly accurate Rathalos fight in Smash and I take that as Sakurai's attempt to be faithful to MH as a whole

Erdrick: Spoken enough about this. I agree with this one

Rayman: I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he's been eternally snuffed. As of now, the only western candidate for smash I think is likely is a Microsoft rep.

Steve: **** Steve. My gripe with Steve being chosen is that I don't think the Minecraft community cares about Steve. You can't toss Minecraft on something and think it'll succeed, as seen with Minecraft Story mode. Much like Monster Hunter, You can represent Minecraft far better in other ways than with a playable character to entice the Minecraft community. Still the most likely MS character much to my Dismay

Banjo & Kazooie: Smash Fan's wet dream which is why I think it's not happening. It doesn't bring in a new demographic. I don't Want Banjo either, but is a much more preferable choice over Steve

Crash: Very huge maybe. I simply don't think it'll happen.

Geno: lol no.

Dragon Born: No. The fact that Bethesda said they spoke to Nintendo about Smash tells me that the content they are getting, if any, is going to be very minimal at best.

In general, I think Delzethin is a bit too narrow minded in his predictions.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Lloyd: Lloyd is one of the characters I think is the poster child of Nintendo bias. I'm almost positive that Nintendo is not going to add the character that the Nintendo/Smash fan wants. They are more concerned with getting new demographics into Smash and if they are aiming to get the Tales demographic then it'll likely be Yuri since that's the character the Tales fanbase cares more about.

Monster Hunter: I'm of the firm belief that if Monster Hunter was gonna be in Smash it would have been in base. The thing that MH fans like is the Monster battles, not necessarily the hunter you play as. We got an incredibly accurate Rathalos fight in Smash and I take that as Sakurai's attempt to be faithful to MH as a whole

Erdrick: Spoken enough about this. I agree with this one

Rayman: I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he's been eternally snuffed. As of now, the only western candidate for smash I think is likely is a Microsoft rep.

Steve: **** Steve. My gripe with Steve being chosen is that I don't think the Minecraft community cares about Steve. You can't toss Minecraft on something and think it'll succeed, as seen with Minecraft Story mode. Much like Monster Hunter, You can represent Minecraft far better in other ways than with a playable character to entice the Minecraft community. Still the most likely MS character much to my Dismay

Banjo & Kazooie: Smash Fan's wet dream which is why I think it's not happening. It doesn't bring in a new demographic. I don't Want Banjo either, but is a much more preferable choice over Steve

Crash: Very huge maybe. I simply don't think it'll happen.

Geno: lol no.

Dragon Born: No. The fact that Bethesda said they spoke to Nintendo about Smash tells me that the content they are getting, if any, is going to be very minimal at best.

In general, I think Delzethin is a bit too narrow minded in his predictions.
I agree with pretty much everything you said although I do hope Banjo gets in. Dovahkiin is fun but unlikely. I do think if we do get a tales rep it would be either Lloyd, Yuri or Velvet

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts?
Sweet of Luceus to fill in for Erdrick there while he gets ready for his Smash debut.

Have we scraped the absolute bottom of the barrel and talked about Boxing Ring titles yet? I think I'd go with "Son/Daughter of Ortega" rather than anything too grandiose, since when DQ games give that kind of title to a character on the stats screen, it tends to be very basic, matter-of-fact stuff like that.

D

Deleted member

Thoughts?
Amazing how the image used for Erdrick is a costume for Luceus when he starts talking about him.

Also, Dragonborn as a playable character? Not interested
Dragonborn as a Mii Costume? Best possible outcome

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Thoughts?
Few things, I really like the 6 points that he makes regarding his choices but I feel he goes of the rails and starts using his own bias immediately afterwards regarding characters. The timing point is important, but he just discards it just as easily even when timing could very well apply to the negotiations regarding third parties as some relationships with companies could become stronger or weaker all the time. Plus considering Rex isn't in and was given a Mii costume as an apology, I could imagine that there's a possibility that XBC2 just came too late to be considered for DLC or even AT.

I feel that if he wanted to argue a Tales rep, he could have focused on it more broadly instead of just focusing on Lloyd. Pretty much with the exception of Erdrick and MH, the choices are pretty much just western-focused and for the plausible ones the choices are mostly from Western companies and which could've used a lot more balance.

I feel that he's just repeating a lot of **** that either we have heard before and I would argue that some of the honorable mentions could have a lot more chance than the actual plausible mentions he gave. I still think that a few characters in the pass are characters people are sleeping on.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Sweet of Luceus to fill in for Erdrick there while he gets ready for his Smash debut.

Have we scraped the absolute bottom of the barrel and talked about Boxing Ring titles yet? I think I'd go with "Son/Daughter of Ortega" rather than anything too grandiose, since when DQ games give that kind of title to a character on the stats screen, it tends to be very basic, matter-of-fact stuff like that.
Why not "Mightiest of Heroes"

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo usually embrace the memes, so "The Brave" is on the table. But if we got they only by the name Hero, then "Erdrick" could be the title. Other opinions of mine are: "The Questing Hero", "Hero of Alefgard", "Draconic Warrior", "The Demon King Slayer", "The Man, The Legend". If every alt get a title like the Koopalings, Eleven probably will be or "The Luminary" or ""The Darkspawn"".

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Nintendo usually embrace the memes, so "The Brave" is on the table. But if we got they only by the name Hero, then "Erdrick" could be the title. Other opinions of mine are: "The Questing Hero", "Hero of Alefgard", "Draconic Warrior", "The Demon King Slayer", "The Man, The Legend". If every alt get a title like the Koopalings, Eleven probably will be or "The Luminary" or ""The Darkspawn"".
Again, "Mightiest of heroes."

Although there are some that also call him simply as the legendary hero. Perhaps legendary hero of Alefgard/Aliahan

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Considering what happens at the end of Dragon Quest III, maybe "The Tragic Savior of Legend" could work as a Boxing Ring title.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Considering what happens at the end of Dragon Quest III, maybe "The Tragic Savior of Legend" could work as a Boxing Ring title.
i don't like the way tragic sounds why is it tragic what happens to him? (i've never played 3 so thats why i ask)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
i don't like the way tragic sounds why is it tragic what happens to him? (i've never played 3 so thats why i ask)
at the end of the game, Erdrick gets trapped in Alefgard. He can never get home to his original world which is Aliahan. That's the consequence for killing Zoma.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Some sad stuff happens in DQIII, but not really any more than usual for Dragon Quest (and nothing on the level of DQV, which really puts its hero through the meat grinder). I wouldn't describe Erdrick as a tragic character, and definitely not over characters already in Smash like Samus or Lucas.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Been playing some Dragon Quest 3. I'm really enjoying it so far but finals are also coming up. Oof.

Edit:

Been reading Dragon Quest Emblem of Roto too. It's really good so far.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm over persona. ..:p

not really, but cant forget that there's gotta be a character reveal soon too.
It feels like everything's been pushed up against each other, we been waiting for quite a bit. Maybe there's still a bit more waiting, but I cant imagine waiting super long to reveal the second one. This next month should be an interesting one, one way or another. :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

It feels like everything's been pushed up against each other, we been waiting for quite a bit. Maybe there's still a bit more waiting, but I cant imagine waiting super long to reveal the second one. This next month should be an interesting one, one way or another. :)
Honestly at this rate, even when the reveals happen, the wait wouldve been so long that the hype train slowed down tremendously.

D

Deleted member

I'm over Jane because we know so little about her (and because I probably wont play Persona 5 R at this rate. :urg:). Also female Erdrick is objectively better.

Onto the Smash Bros topic, I'm thinking since Joker is being released by the end of the month, we'll get a direct somewhere between April 17-24. I'm assuming the absolute latest for Joker's release date being April 30th. Better a week before expectations than a week after.

Honestly at this rate, even when the reveals happen, the wait wouldve been so long that the hype train slowed down tremendously.
True! I think Erdrick will remove the band-aid and we can start speculating intensely again, for better or worse. I'm most anxious about E3, because the difference between Banjo and Steve will decide where the hype train goes within the Smash community.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno, a lot of people are really looking for some news. Any cool announcement would be hype.
Really looking for the joker stuff. But if they do a smash direct that'll hype people up and it's a good time to reveal the next one. Unless they want to do it somewhere else again :/

I'm over Jane because we know so little about her (and because I probably wont play Persona 5 R at this rate. :urg:). Also female Erdrick is objectively better.

Onto the Smash Bros topic, I'm thinking since Joker is being released by the end of the month, we'll get a direct somewhere between April 17-24. I'm assuming the absolute latest for Joker's release date being April 30th.

True! I think Erdrick will remove the band-aid and we can start speculating intensely again, for better or worse. I'm most anxious about E3, because the difference between Banjo and Steve will decide where the hype train goes within the Smash community.
Both are really good ;) it's just we dont know much about jane so it's also the intrigue that's interesting. It's just.. not the only thing i'm looking to. XD
Nothing can beat girl erdrick, let's face it. But i still really want a new character to play in smash too. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Both are really good ;) it's just we dont know much about jane so it's also the intrigue that's interesting. It's just.. not the only thing i'm looking to. XD
Nothing can beat girl erdrick, let's face it. But i still really want a new character to play in smash too. :)
Yeah. Jane's hype comes from what we don't know right now, so I'll wait before I get my hopes up for her.

God this is such a hype month because it's going to answer so many questions that have been left on the bench for months

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah. Jane's hype comes from what we don't know right now, so I'll wait before I get my hopes up for her.

God this is such a hype month because it's going to answer so many questions that have been left on the bench for months
Yeh that's what im saying :)
The only thing is the back log of frustration from having to wait so long lol. Im sure it'll fade once we get a direct announcement XD

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I dunno, a lot of people are really looking for some news. Any cool announcement would be hype.
Really looking for the joker stuff. But if they do a smash direct that'll hype people up and it's a good time to reveal the next one. Unless they want to do it somewhere else again :/

I just want Erdrick already wrrrrry

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont want any microsoft rep ;p
Ive seen plenty of people here like banjo so it could be cool just for all them people, but what do people like about banjo at this point?

Bomberman would've been cool, tho im ok with him being an assist trophy.
Up to now i've only gotten one character i wanted in, and that's isabelle. but she's still basically an echo. I wouldnt mind seeing Impa even if she's an echo. Tho i guess the chances of getting echos might be low now, dunno. And then Krystal and Kumatora were soft deconfirmed, so that's +1 for isabelle and -2 for the others. Let's see if things can balance out :D

D

Deleted member

I dont want any microsoft rep ;p
Ive seen plenty of people here like banjo so it could be cool just for all them people, but what do people like about banjo at this point?

Bomberman would've been cool, tho im ok with him being an assist trophy.
Up to now i've only gotten one character i wanted in, and that's isabelle. but she's still basically an echo. I wouldnt mind seeing Impa even if she's an echo. Tho i guess the chances of getting echos might be low now, dunno. And then Krystal and Kumatora were soft deconfirmed, so that's +1 for isabelle and -2 for the others. Let's see if things can balance out :D
Speaking for myself, Banjo appeals heavily to the N64 era and could have still been a relevant mascot if not for cruddy business choices over a decade ago. Their games still hold up for what they are and are remembered fondly by a lot of people. Simply put, it'd be cool if they came back.

Glad to see Bomberman at all as an AT over not at all. Maybe one day.

I think Krystal has a lot of potential thanks to her assist trophy. The magic her staff can do from Starfox Adventures is unique and she looks acrobatic. I don't like her outfit but they can change it to her Assault design.

Kumatora is odd for me. I never played Mother 3 so I'm not sure how different she'd be over Ness or Lucas. I'm more a fan of Masked Man, Porky, or Giygas because of their unique outfits and villain status. Could just be me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom