• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking for myself, Banjo appeals heavily to the N64 era and could have still been a relevant mascot if not for cruddy business choices over a decade ago. Their games still hold up for what they are and are remembered fondly by a lot of people. Simply put, it'd be cool if they came back.

Glad to see Bomberman at all as an AT over not at all. Maybe one day.

I think Krystal has a lot of potential thanks to her assist trophy. The magic her staff can do from Starfox Adventures is unique and she looks acrobatic. I don't like her outfit but they can change it to her Assault design.

Kumatora is odd for me. I never played Mother 3 so I'm not sure how different she'd be over Ness or Lucas. I'm more a fan of Masked Man, Porky, or Giygas because of their unique outfits and villain status. Could just be me though.
We all have our tastes. I like Krystal how she is but I'd love the option to have either outfit if she were a fighter :)
Unfortunately, unless they bring her back in the new star fox game i dont have that much optimism for her. But people still love her and i hope she's considered for the future at least.

Kumatora could be either an echo or original. She's taller so she couldnt just be a costume.
This is a list of the skills she can learn (it looks weird cuz i copy pasted a grid):
Level Move name Start

PK Fireα
alpha

Start

PK Freezeα
alpha

Lifeupα
alpha

PK Thunderα
alpha

Healingα
alpha

Offense Downα
alpha

Paralysisα
alpha

Defense Downα
alpha

Hypnosisα
alpha

PK Fireβ
beta

Brainshockα
alpha

PSI Magnetα
alpha

PK Freezeβ
beta

ParalysisΩ
omega

Lifeupβ
beta

PK Thunderβ
beta

HypnosisΩ
omega

Offense DownΩ
omega

PK Freezeγ
gamma

Defense DownΩ
omega

PK Fireγ
gamma

PSI MagnetΩ
omega

BrainshockΩ
omega

PK Thunderγ
gamma

PK FreezeΩ
omega

PK FireΩ
omega

PK ThunderΩ
omega

It's not like I expected her anyway, I just would like her :)
It's cool at least that she's in a final smash, but it was also disappointing seeing her there.

Impa too could be original or an echo. Original would be better, especially to see more weapons with her.
Anyway, there's plenty of characters I'd want in smash. I hope they have some cool 1st party character. Wouldn't mind seeing warioware, Still surprised ashley didnt make it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We all have our tastes. I like Krystal how she is but I'd love the option to have either outfit if she were a fighter :)
Unfortunately, unless they bring her back in the new star fox game i dont have that much optimism for her. But people still love her and i hope she's considered for the future at least.

Kumatora could be either an echo or original. She's taller so she couldnt just be a costume.
This is a list of the skills she can learn (it looks weird cuz i copy pasted a grid):
Level Move name Start

PK Fireα
alpha

Start

PK Freezeα
alpha

Lifeupα
alpha

PK Thunderα
alpha

Healingα
alpha

Offense Downα
alpha

Paralysisα
alpha

Defense Downα
alpha

Hypnosisα
alpha

PK Fireβ
beta

Brainshockα
alpha

PSI Magnetα
alpha

PK Freezeβ
beta

ParalysisΩ
omega

Lifeupβ
beta

PK Thunderβ
beta

HypnosisΩ
omega

Offense DownΩ
omega

PK Freezeγ
gamma

Defense DownΩ
omega

PK Fireγ
gamma

PSI MagnetΩ
omega

BrainshockΩ
omega

PK Thunderγ
gamma

PK FreezeΩ
omega

PK FireΩ
omega

PK ThunderΩ
omega

It's not like I expected her anyway, I just would like her :)
It's cool at least that she's in a final smash, but it was also disappointing seeing her there.

Impa too could be original or an echo. Original would be better, especially to see more weapons with her.
Anyway, there's plenty of characters I'd want in smash. I hope they have some cool 1st party character. Wouldn't mind seeing warioware, Still surprised ashley didnt make it.
Krystal:
Yeah like how Zero Suit Samus has the work out wear? That'd be fine. I think both fits both crowds. Whether Star Fox has a future beyond Zero is a mystery, though. I'll say the series isn't dead because it's doing way better than F-Zero at the very least.

Kumatora:
That's a lot of moves. Okay she has the potential at the very least. Can't say much else though. I think any Mother newcomer would be sweet given how the series is finished and all. It'd be a miracle, you know? I wont say final smash is as damning as you'd think, though, because Chrom is still in Robin's final smash.

Impa:
She's interesting. So I liked her in Hyrule Warriors, but I feel that's when she gained a lot of traction. Might hurt her chances when it's a spinoff. I want Hyrule Warriors represented in Smash because they did more with the Zelda series than Smash Bros ever could. Either alt costumes, Impa, Lana, or Cia. Something!

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Krystal:
Yeah like how Zero Suit Samus has the work out wear? That'd be fine. I think both fits both crowds. Whether Star Fox has a future beyond Zero is a mystery, though. I'll say the series isn't dead because it's doing way better than F-Zero at the very least.

Kumatora:
That's a lot of moves. Okay she has the potential at the very least. Can't say much else though. I think any Mother newcomer would be sweet given how the series is finished and all. It'd be a miracle, you know? I wont say final smash is as damning as you'd think, though, because Chrom is still in Robin's final smash.

Impa:
She's interesting. So I liked her in Hyrule Warriors, but I feel that's when she gained a lot of traction. I want Hyrule Warriors represented in Smash because they did more with the Zelda series than Smash Bros ever could. Either alt costumes, Impa, Lana, or Cia. Something!
"I'll say the series isn't dead because it's doing way better than F-Zero at the very least. "
-I'm not sure that's the best benchmark to say if a series is dead or not XD And I'm sure Star Fox will keep on going, it's just they rebooted it and Krystal is nowhere in sight. There's some other girls at least but it's just not the same.

I think Earthbound is popular enough to warrant more. Someone else just needs to take over. ;p

That's not a bad idea for impa, she could have some stuff that feels like hyrule warriors to rep it. I dont know how popular Lana is but I would love her :D There's also Linkle, but that i dont think a lot of people even know about her :p

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Speaking for myself, Banjo appeals heavily to the N64 era and could have still been a relevant mascot if not for cruddy business choices over a decade ago. Their games still hold up for what they are and are remembered fondly by a lot of people. Simply put, it'd be cool if they came back.

Glad to see Bomberman at all as an AT over not at all. Maybe one day.

I think Krystal has a lot of potential thanks to her assist trophy. The magic her staff can do from Starfox Adventures is unique and she looks acrobatic. I don't like her outfit but they can change it to her Assault design.

Kumatora is odd for me. I never played Mother 3 so I'm not sure how different she'd be over Ness or Lucas. I'm more a fan of Masked Man, Porky, or Giygas because of their unique outfits and villain status. Could just be me though.
Giygas would be cool, but it's a question on how you would do his moveset. I believe I've seen one where he is kind of like a Mewtwo echo?

Also just for you Teeb147 Teeb147

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
In Smash 4, I was kind of peeved that they brought back Sheik when they took away transformations instead of taking the opportunity to give that moveset to Skyward Sword Impa. I still kind of feel that way, honestly. She's my most-wanted echo fighter after Jeanne, anyway; I think that's a fair way to do it when the character's so different between appearances, and usually not much of a fighter.

...I also kind of hoped that they'd give Snake's moveset to Sami from Advance Wars if they couldn't get him back. That one's off the table now, I guess, though if cross-series echoes were a thing I think it could still work. Maybe a Ganondorf-like semi-clone?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Giygas would be cool, but it's a question on how you would do his moveset. I believe I've seen one where he is kind of like a Mewtwo echo?

Also just for you Teeb147 Teeb147
Thanks I appreciate it :D
Whoever made it definitely got the dragon ball style for the eyes. :)
I could see some improvements but i actually really like the pic.

I found something of her, im not sure if it' just a custom creation someone made, but it does make me want a figurine or something

D

Deleted member

Huh. That actually works for what he is. Not sure how much I like it yet, but it exists. They really gotta play up the whole evil gimmick with him.

Alternatively, one of Giyga's big things was that he influenced the world of Earthbound to act evil and strange. So maybe he could summon sentient cars or vases, or maybe do PSI Rockin' like the Mani Mani Statue because Ness doesn't do that for some reason when it's his signature move. He should definitely take from the enemies of Earthbound and Mother 1.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I found something of her, im not sure if it' just a custom creation someone made, but it does make me want a figurine or something
What baffles me is that Dragon Quest, as far as I'm aware, never do statues. I would love a 12 inch statue with both Erdrick and Solo with their respective swords. I hope so anyways.

Huh. That actually works for what he is. Not sure how much I like it yet, but it exists. They really gotta play up the whole evil gimmick with him.

Alternatively, one of Giyga's big things was that he influenced the world of Earthbound to act evil and strange. So maybe he could summon sentient cars or vases, or maybe do PSI Rockin' like the Mani Mani Statue because Ness doesn't do that for some reason when it's his signature move. He should definitely take from the enemies of Earthbound and Mother 1.
We definitely just need more Earthbound representation in general. Like have Poo be a mixture of Ryu and Ness.

D

Deleted member

It's from a line of blind box DQ4 figures, but with the generic sword on it replaced with the Zenithian sword from the Legend Items Gallery line of weapon replicas I think.
DQ4figures.jpeg
1554233334442.png

D

Deleted member

wow :)
Any way to get them?
Ebay is your best bet, or there's also Mandarake, an online import shop that mainly has used items. They're out of print so you can't get them firsthand from SE's shop anymore.

D

Deleted member

The N64 era is a bad era and doesn't deserve to be appealed to.
What's bad about it? It signaled Nintendo's official turn to 3D and created a lot of classics like Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, etc.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
What's bad about it? It signaled Nintendo's official turn to 3D and created a lot of classics like Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, etc.
And Perfect Dark

Also for echoes, I'd love the Luminary since he's my boy. I'd love Solo and Sofia too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What do y'all think are the chances of Luminary coming in as an Echo of Erdrick, btw?
I don't want him as an echo. It'd make more sense for him to just be an alternate.

I know the reveal. He's Erdrick, or Erdrick's descendant. One of the two. Point is, dude's conceptually made to be similar to Erdrick anyways, like Marth and Lucina.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And Perfect Dark

I played that lots :), including with friends and it was really fun.

Hey, I'm namedropped in this!

But, yeah, if we're still talking Earthbound echoes, Ninten's my number one choice.

What do y'all think are the chances of Luminary coming in as an Echo of Erdrick, btw?
I dont think there'll be any echos, but maybe 1%?
50/50 on a costume :p

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I played that lots :), including with friends and it was really fun.

I dont think there'll be any echos, but maybe 1%?
50/50 on a costume :p
I think the coolest thing for Erdrick aside from an echo is to have him get skins from his different descendants. Give him a skin of Alef and Allen respectively

Or if we are really gonna stretch the idea,

Arus

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I consider the N64/PS1 era to be the only console generation that was actively worse that the generation that preceded it. As early polygon games generally looked WORSE than 16-bit sprite games, and often played worse as well due to insufficient controls inputs/3d navigation being not quite figured out yet.

I mean, yeah, there's a handful of good games, almost none of which I would consider superior to their SNES counterparts.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I consider the N64/PS1 era to be the only console generation that was actively worse that the generation that preceded it. As early polygon games generally looked WORSE than 16-bit sprite games, and often played worse as well due to insufficient controls inputs/3d navigation being not quite figured out yet.

I mean, yeah, there's a handful of good game, almost none of which I would consider superior to their SNES counterparts.
That is true when it comes to the SNES, RPGs during that generation were absolutely unparalleled. Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Dragon Quest 1-5 (Super Famicom though), Final Fantasy 6. Then you have games like Legend of Zelda A Link to the past which is arguably better than Ocarina of Time (no opinion on LttP since I never played it. But I do love Ocarina).

However, there are games that I'd argue was better sequels in the 64/PS1 generation then the SNES, a notable example is Breath of Fire 3. And in terms of singular titles, there aren't games quite like Suikoden 2 which I personally prefer over a vast majority of SNES titles.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm not crazy about most early 3D games either, but that learning-the-ropes phase had to happen at some point. There were still plenty of sprite-based games that generation too, at least on PS1 and (Japanese) Saturn, and the stronger hardware made some pretty impressive stuff possible in those.

Most N64 games look pretty ugly to me these days, but I do kind of like the chunky, grainy look a lot of PS1 and Saturn games had, and there's some real charm in the eclectic mixes of primitive 3D, pixel art and pre-rendered elements you got from some games back then. As a sort of on topic example, I really like the 2D-character-sprites-in-a-3D-world look of Dragon Quest VII, though I think IV/V/VI on DS pulled it off better.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
5th gen is legit the most underrated gen. I understand preferring the SNES era or whatever, sure, you do you, but actively trying to erase the era and say that just because the games didn't age well (which to me is a bad meme) it doesn't deserve any representation? Those are some harsh opinions, which sadly I know many share, and it always feels like revanchism due to reviewers in the era snubbing 2D games, leading to some incredibly harmful attitudes in the retro community that grew up with that.

megaManLegends2-1.png

__spyro_the_dragon_gif___icy_peak__5_by_krazykari-d8npau4.gif

s44cfb3ff5daf0d9a738a6a75e81fb099.jpg

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
5th gen is legit the most underrated gen. I understand preferring the SNES era or whatever, sure, you do you, but actively trying to erase the era and say that just because the games didn't age well (which to me is a bad meme) it doesn't deserve any representation? Those are some harsh opinions, which sadly I know many share, and it always feels like revanchism due to reviewers in the era snubbing 2D games, leading to some incredibly harmful attitudes in the retro community that grew up with that.

See the thing with that, sure the graphics are clearly dated and so are the mechanics, but that should not deserve harsh criticism. After all at the time that's all you had. It actually makes me appreciate them even more for what they are.

D

Deleted member

I don't dislike the 5th gen, but looking back its probably one of my least liked eras from Nintendo console-wise given that I feel it didn't have the same quality output that they had during the SNES era. Plus outside of Smash, the newer franchises from Nintendo on the N64 didn't make as much of an impact aside from probably Goldeneye.

In general the era come out with a rough start, the PS1 didn't even have analog sticks when it came out which made the early games a bit awkward to control after playing titles on the N64. Plus a lot of developers didn't had any idea regarding how to do 3D games, one example is the story behind Bubsy 3D and the reaction of the developers when Super Mario 64 were revealed.

I personally like the 5th era representation already, especially since you have Ganondorf, Y. Link, Snake, Cloud, and most important of all Pokemon. The only other characters that I can think that represent the era well are: Lara Croft whom I feel sometimes is sad comparing her fame back then to now; Crash as he was depicted as Mario's rival of sorts and a mascot of Sony (Spyro to a minor degree); and Gordon Freeman which makes me feel for the fanbase since Valve can't count to 3.

A lot of these can be attributed to problems with Nintendo management regarding deciding to go with cartridges, having conflicts with some of the third parties, MS not knowing what to do with Rare franchises introduced during this era (which is frustrating considering even Perfect Dark, a series which targeted MS demographics and successor to Goldeneye, died), and I feel that Pokemon success in general ad the multiple Mario spinoffs made them a little bit sloppy in the internal development of new franchises.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I mean, yeah, there's a handful of good games, almost none of which I would consider superior to their SNES counterparts.
I disagree. The main reason some of them dont stand up as well in modern times is because it was the start of 3d. Some are still good, and at the time a lot were awesome ,..maybe fewer classics stand the test of time than snes, but there were a lot more games too. NES had a **** ton , including of crappy games too. I find that's probably the one generation that aged the least well maybe except for the mario games.

Playstation was great. There were so many good RPGs. Not just Suikoden, but Xenogears, and a lot of the SE games on it. I feel like FFTactics really pushed srpg genre forward. DQ7 was awesome (even if some think of it a little slow) and brought some 2d+3d ideas. There were also the Tales games, and we didnt get tales of phantasia in the west so it was our first proper exposure. There were some great platformers too like Symphony of the Night which is still a cult classic.
Not to mention the birth of many 3d good platformers like spyro, klonoa and all that. And just a bunch of cool japanese games too. We got more of them than on snes.

As for N64, I feel it really birthed the great platformers like mario 64 which is still good to this day and really ahead of its time compared to the other games of the time. But Banjo was good too, along with Gex and Silicon Valley, Glover, Chameleon, and a lot of them were really fun and there still isn't really a lot quite like them besides the 3d mario games. There were the rare gems like Mischief Makers and Bomberman 64 which blew me away by how fun they were and again not really other games like them even to this day.

The great classics like Ocarina of Time were the most notable games that i think blew everyone out of the water and are still good. I would say that even though Golden Eye aged quite a bit, it's still pretty neat and people still speed run that stuff. The sportive games for snowboarding and stuff like that were good, and party games had some really cool stuff too. Like, we still dont have something that's like Snowboard kids and Road Rash 64. Personally my favorite F-Zero is still on the 64 :p. The best Mario Party games are 2 and 3 which were on 64.
Oh yeah and Kirby 64 had complexity for mixing powers, which is fun.

That's the most notable ones i can think of right off the bat. There's definitely more :D

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I disagree. The main reason some of them dont stand up as well in modern times is because it was the start of 3d.
Personally, I thought it was a step down AT THE TIME.

Like, it was impressive that things were IN 3D, but even then I would play Ocarina and be like "This doesn't look or play as well as LttP". Same with Mario 64 vs. Mario World. Same with Castlevania 64 vs. Dracula X(and that's not even the GOOD Rondo). Same with Mega Man Legends and any of the Mega Man X games.

The only series I felt were immediate and massive improvements on N64 were Mario Kart, StarFox, F-Zero, and Pilotwings. But those games were all trying to BE 3D on the SNES anyway.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally, I thought it was a step down AT THE TIME.

Like, it was impressive that things were IN 3D, but even then I would play Ocarina and be like "This doesn't look or play as well as LttP". Same with Mario 64 vs. Mario World. Same with Castlevania 64 vs. Dracula X(and that's not even the GOOD Rondo). Same with Mega Man Legends and any of the Mega Man X games.

The only series I felt were immediate and massive improvements on N64 were Mario Kart, StarFox, F-Zero, and Pilotwings. But those games were all trying to BE 3D on the SNES anyway.
Not sure what to say to that. I can be picky on controls too and i find they played fine. It improved over time but not to the point where I would say the 64 ones hamper the gameplay. Mario 64 in particular had great ones, even if it took a bit of time to controlling the camera. I think the 3d graphics were charming, and there's probably just ff7 that i would say it looks kinda ugly because of the 3d proportions. Other than that, they played good enough and I could see someone comparing 3d and 2d, not n64 vs snes. In which cases it's just about conditioning, like being too conditioned to the way 2d controls and having trouble getting into the new dimension.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mario 64 in particular had great ones, even if it took a bit of time to controlling the camera.
I'm not saying that Mario 64 was BAD, just that it wasn't as good as Mario World. And I'd say that about MOST games from that generation, that the ones that were actually good, still weren't as good as their previous generation installments, which I don't think I can say about any other console generation.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not saying that Mario 64 was BAD, just that it wasn't as good as Mario World. And I'd say that about MOST games from that generation, that the ones that were actually good, still weren't as good as their previous generation installments, which I don't think I can say about any other console generation.
Mario 64 was way better than mario world. And I'm sure a lot of people would agree. but see i dont see the point of comparing a 2d and a 3d game, because they play totally different. And i dont get why you compare them

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I couldn't really choose between Mario World and Mario 64, they are great in their own rights. I do prefer the original DKC games over DK64, but basically everyone does. I also prefer Ocarina of Time over A Link to the Past. So it's hit-or-miss for me honestly.

Still haven't finished the original game on my mobile however. But at least I'm in the final castle.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mario 64 was way better than mario world. And I'm sure a lot of people would agree.
Those people can eat pants.

And i dont get why you compare them
Because it was the next game in the series?

If Mario 64 had been a completely new franchise that PLAYED exactly the same, but wasn't the next Mario game, I wouldn't compare it to the previous Mario game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Because it was the next game in the series?

If Mario 64 had been a completely new franchise that PLAYED exactly the same, but wasn't the next Mario game, I wouldn't compare it to the previous Mario game.
Well like I said, as far as a whole series, mario 64 took the freakin cake at that point, it had so much to it and did it so well especially for the time. . I do think mario world was a good 2d platformer, but mario 64 was a great 3d one. Obviously there's a difference of opinion here :p It'd be interesting to make a poll somewhere and ask which one people consider the better. But it feels to me like this is more about not enjoying the transition from 2d to 3d in your case.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm allergic to pants :p

Joking aside, I was raised during the GameCube/PS2 era, so I have nothing but respect for everything that came before it.

I think the best example of a 3d game that helped pushed what came before in 2d sprites is the original Metal Gear Solid.

EDIT:

Pick your favorite

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm allergic to pants :p

Joking aside, I was raised during the GameCube/PS2 era, so I have nothing but respect for everything that came before it.

I think the best example of a 3d game that helped pushed what came before in 2d sprites is the original Metal Gear Solid.

EDIT:

Pick your favorite
Is the first one supposed to be the DQ1 hero? And actually, is the last one supposed to be luminary?
Other than that i can recognize :p

Also, i dont want to stick on the mario 64 stuff, but i was just trying to see if there were polls but i only found one pitting those 2 games together, and there's only around 25 votes, but that one was 65% for mario 64.
https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/...uper-mario-world-vs-super-mario-64.453831993/

D

Deleted member

Is the first one supposed to be the DQ1 hero? And actually, is the last one supposed to be luminary?
Other than that i can recognize :p

Also, i dont want to stick on the mario 64 stuff, but i was just trying to see if there were polls but i only found one pitting those 2 games together, and there's only around 25 votes, but that one was 65% for mario 64.
https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/...uper-mario-world-vs-super-mario-64.453831993/
Yup. 1's Hero is supposed to be him without the armor, the design is from Monster Battle Road.
1554317816573.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom