• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm a fan of green hair so I really like the green tint version XD
I hope they go with that for the game.

How were those characters in DQ11? Was there anything hinting at that they can tame monsters?
(can put in spoilers if there's anything spoilery)
Nope. There were no mention of monster taming from what I noticed. But Erik is absolutely best boi

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nope. There were no mention of monster taming from what I noticed. But Erik is absolutely best boi
ah ok, thx. I wonder how they're going to tie that in. Or maybe it's just a part of their past they dont look back on :p
Either way I dont mind the character designs and being able to play a girl tamer :)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
How were those characters in DQ11? Was there anything hinting at that they can tame monsters?
(can put in spoilers if there's anything spoilery)
No, but in the DQXI S footage that's come out there are some shots of Erik hanging out with a healslime, which could mean they're going to use his new story scenes to tie things together. It's like, in spinoffs that have come out since the original DQM they usually mention Terry's affinity for monsters, though he's still a swordsman and not a monster tamer.

Like a lot of things in DQXI are spins on elements of older games in the series, Erik and Mia's story is similar in a lot of ways to Milly and Terry's in DQVI, with Erik mostly filling the Milly role. The choice to use those two characters is probably in reference to Terry and Milly as kids being the main characters of the first Monsters. Though it doesn't hurt that they're popular characters, of course.
Mia also turns into a monster at one point, but I don't think that exactly counts.

wimbearn

Smash Apprentice
I've heard, but never played Dragon Quest (almost typed ball). But would love to see him in Smash!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No, but in the DQXI S footage that's come out there are some shots of Erik hanging out with a healslime, which could mean they're going to use his new story scenes to tie things together. It's like, in spinoffs that have come out since the original DQM they usually mention Terry's affinity for monsters, though he's still a swordsman and not a monster tamer.

Like a lot of things in DQXI are spins on elements of older games in the series, Erik and Mia's story is similar in a lot of ways to Milly and Terry's in DQVI, with Erik mostly filling the Milly role. The choice to use those two characters is probably in reference to Terry and Milly as kids being the main characters of the first Monsters. Though it doesn't hurt that they're popular characters, of course.
Mia also turns into a monster at one point, but I don't think that exactly counts.
That helps get a sense of what's going on around the characters :)

I'm pretty glad they decided to go back to the original formula. Not that I didn't like the dqm joker series, cuz i did.
Can't wait to try it, even if it's a japan import. Honestly tho, with growing popularity it's likely to get an english release i think.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm surprised you two weren't already on the list. :O I might've missed a few others too.
I'll fix that right away (with you two at least) :)

Can do!

That's actually a really cute pic XD
(minus or not the nose picking)

Yes that's a good idea. I'm not sure where to put it, but there can definitely be a section for dragon quest in general, and maybe some info like TheYungLink TheYungLink 's post on the games for the entries.

It'll be the third thing I add, after the leak/datamine section and one for movesets. I can put it at the end or earlier in the post.
Weekend plans ;p
I found my post. Rather than link to it directly, I'll put it in a quote so I can adjust it later; it needs an update since I finished Dragon Quest 6 and all.

So I've noticed a trend with most (not all) people bouncing off of Dragon Quest in the past before trying a different game and ending up loving it. I'm going to chalk this up to how unfortunately hard it is to get into Dragon Quest without doing a little research first before diving into the series. You can't dive into any game in the series blindly since they each focus on different things.

I'll say that these are the ones you shouldn't start with:
  • Dragon Quest 1&2. The only reason you might want to start with these games is because you've heard that playing these games makes eventually playing Dragon Quest 3 way better. You heard right. However, I doubt a newcomer wants to make a 3 game commitment as their "first" foray into Dragon Quest, especially if they've already played tons of RPGs that have great stories and will be disappointed that these first couple of games merely have somewhat charming writing and tense resource management to complement the incredibly straightforward battle system.
  • Dragon Quest 7. I've actually heard okay things about this game, but it's loooooooooong. The story is apparently pretty good and it has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own. But it also has weird event flags on how to activate the next part of the story, which can be very frustrating if you're the kind of player that doesn't like looking at guides every step of the way.
  • Dragon Quest 9. It's completely different from the rest of the series, and whether you like it or not will have no bearing on your opinion of the other games. It's good for playing after getting familiar with the other games proper, especially since it has lots of callbacks, but it's not a proper first impression at all.
  • Dragon Quest 10. It's an MMO that's not even playable outside of Japan lol.
I'm iffy on these games as starters:
  • Dragon Quest 3. It stands on its own, and is a great RPG to play even today! But all your party members are customizable by the player, and while that's fun and affects the game on repeat playthroughs, if you're looking for cool interactions between party members you're out of luck. The exploration and battle tactics aspect of this game are timeless, however, if that's what you're into.
  • Dragon Quest 6. I played this one recently and had a good time. However, it isn't quite as impressive as the ones in the following section, and the story is neat but it isn't as thoroughly emotionally affecting as some people may want. It has a class system like Dragon Quest 3 and 7, however like in Dragon Quest 7 it takes a long time before you're even able to access it. Unlike Dragon Quest 3, however, all your party members are actual characters who develop lightly over the course of the story, so if that's giving you reservations about trying Dragon Quest 3 right away, perhaps this is a good compromise.
And these are all the best places to start for anyone interested:
  • Dragon Quest 4. Either the DS or the smartphone versions are greatly recommended, but this game has a unique hook most RPGs even today don't have: it has 5 chapters, the first 4 of which focus on a different set of party members as they each go through a little story that reveals more of the main plot. The 5th and final chapter introduces the main character proper who you finally get to control (you name them at the beginning of the game) as they find and recruit the party members of the first 4 chapters on their journey around the world to defeat the main villain. It's a super cool game. That said, you have to put a lot of time into the game to reach Chapter 5, so keep that in mind if you want to check it out. If you get the smartphone version, you won't get buttons like with the DS version, but you'll get a feature called "party chat," which is pressing the talk button to trigger a conversation with each of your party members reacting to the current situation. The writing is SUPER charming and funny and more than makes up for the fact that your finger is used for moving around rather than a D pad.
  • Dragon Quest 5. The one I started with. I'm currently replaying it and it's still my favorite game so far. You want a Dragon Quest game with a really good and gripping story? Here you go: you play as a child following around their father, and eventually learn that your mother is missing. Stuff happens, and now you're playing as an adult, and the entire world has changed, as you continue your search. The game handles themes of growing up and becoming an adult extremely well, and it helps make the "save the world" backdrop feel extremely personal. Saving the world is secondary to finding out answers about your family and friends, which you journey around the entire world to discover. Along with human party members, the hero can eventually learn to recruit monsters into their party, giving the game a great mix of customization (monsters) and character interaction (main character with the human party members). As the cherry on top, this game has party chat just like with DQ4. This game is so tender and warm, I love it with all my heart, and I'm extremely glad it's the first one I played.
  • Dragon Quest 8 and 11. I still haven't gotten around to these games, but I've heard nothing but good things about both of them. From what I know, Dragon Quest 11 is somehow even better than 8, so if anything 11 is the best modern game to try out as your first, and maybe check out 8 afterward since they're both gorgeous third person RPGs instead of the more classic top down ones like the earlier ones.
I hope this guide is of some use when it comes to anyone curious about Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I found my post. Rather than link to it directly, I'll put it in a quote so I can adjust it later; it needs an update since I finished Dragon Quest 6 and all.
Haven't seen this post before, but I gotta say that that opening statement is pretty accurate. I tried playing Dragon Quest 3 but couldn't get into it, so I'm currently playing through 5 instead. It's great.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
"
  • Dragon Quest 3. It stands on its own, and is a great RPG to play even today! But all your party members are customizable by the player, and while that's fun and affects the game on repeat playthroughs, if you're looking for cool interactions between party members you're out of luck. The exploration and battle tactics aspect of this game are timeless, however, if that's what you're into.
"

That is honestly the most accurate way I would describe Dragon Quest 3. I wouldn't be enjoying it nearly as much if I didn't play 11. Now that I have, this game becomes really fun because of the unique locales you go to and not necessarily the story since it's straightforward. Plus the Isis dungeon can suck it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
*I* was here BEFORE it was cool.
Yes you were. Thank you for your service :)

I didn't even know the thread existed for quite a long time. And also didn't think of Erdrick was as important as they are to the series. I like DQ3 because it started the class system (plus we can pick gender for the entire team), but other than that it felt a bit faded into gaming history. I'm glad Japan still strongly remembers, and other fans around :D

"
"

That is honestly the most accurate way I would describe Dragon Quest 3. I wouldn't be enjoying it nearly as much if I didn't play 11. Now that I have, this game becomes really fun because of the unique locales you go to and not necessarily the story since it's straightforward. Plus the Isis dungeon can suck it.
As a fan of the series in general, including a lot of the spin-offs, I like DQ3 because it maybe is a bit of an in-between DQ9 (customization, class system) and the core games in the series (story, character development, etc). And that makes it special, I find. Not the best to start with possibly, but definitely a gem.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You're on my cool people list, if that means anything.
Hey that Erdrick and Crono profile pic is pretty cool! Where did you get it from?

*I* was here BEFORE it was cool.
Yeah we were like 12 supporters before the rumors started spreading. To be fair I had to dig a few pages to find the thread.
Just goes to show how being in Smash (rumored) can help people get interested in a series/character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm wondering if anyone's played both DQ11 and DQ8, and would say how they feel about each compared to each other.
I feel like they're pretty similar at least in terms of being more on the end of 'personality' and story development, and a more straightforward team building, but there's gotta be some things that make them out more differently in some ways, and I'm curious about that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm wondering if anyone's played both DQ11 and DQ8, and would say how they feel about each compared to each other.
I feel like they're pretty similar at least in terms of being more on the end of 'personality' and story development, and a more straightforward team building, but there's gotta be some things that make them out more differently in some ways, and I'm curious about that.
Tension and Pep Powers are one, tension literally lets you build power for your next attack and Pep works increases your stats and lets you perform joint special attacks with your allies. Pep can also be used by enemies.

Also VIII the monster colisseum which is one of the cool features, recruiting monsters and have some of them fight for you.

Alchemy is more open in VIII being able to combine items you want instead of particular set combinations like XI.

There are only 4-6 party members in VIII (depending on the ver) including the protagonist and there is little overlap apart from swords and fisticups, but cant recall if this makes more easy or difficult the whole skill selection considering that until the endgame you have limited skillpoints.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Tension and Pep Powers are one, tension literally lets you build power for your next attack and Pep works increases your stats and lets you perform joint special attacks with your allies. Pep can also be used by enemies.

Also VIII the monster colisseum which is one of the cool features, recruiting monsters and have some of them fight for you.

Alchemy is more open in VIII being able to combine items you want instead of particular set combinations like XI.

There are only 4-6 party members in VIII (depending on the ver) including the protagonist and there is little overlap apart from swords and fisticups, but cant recall if this makes more easy or difficult the whole skill selection considering that until the endgame you have limited skillpoints.
Yeah. Is there much difference in the type of story there is though?
I'm just trying to get a sense of if someone might like going for one over the other. I suppose the monster recruitment might be the bigger difference for VIII, though it takes a while to get that in the game. I dont think I got far enough in the game to really make use of it. (I probably restarted the game 3 times tho :/)

I think the 3ds version is probably a lot more worth it, especially for the 2 extra members. DQ11 has 8 i think? And probably superior in other ways.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just trying to get a sense of if someone might like going for one over the other. I suppose the monster recruitment might be the bigger difference for VIII, though it takes a while to get that in the game. I dont think I got far enough in the game to really make use of it. (I probably restarted the game 3 times tho :/)

I think the 3ds version is probably a lot more worth it, especially for the 2 extra members. DQ11 has 8 i think? And probably superior in other ways.
I would think the type of story is different, VIII quest is a bit more personal regarding that the purpose of your journey is to lift the curse of your gf and her father while pursuing the Dark Lord to stop him from taking the world. XI is more about the journey to save the world from calamity because you're the chosen one and being pursued unjustly.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That’s a cool statue!
I love these kinds of monuments. I think there’s also a Captain America statue in Brooklyn.
Theres also a Kamen Rider statue. That's pretty cool.

While I haven't played 8, I will say from a story standpoint (from what I know of 8s narrative), 11 has a lot to it when it comes to the twists. I'd say its distinct enough to be very different from 8.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
VIII is a lot more laid-back than XI. There's no reincarnation, no great destiny, just a bunch of regular idiots trying to track down a serial killer. The world gets saved in the end, but overall the stakes are much lower. It's a gentle, easygoing adventure.

There's also a connection to III, though it doesn't take place in the same world, so if you want to squeeze everything you can out of the original trilogy it's a good next step.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Hey that Erdrick and Crono profile pic is pretty cool! Where did you get it from?
Hey, thanks! I made it myself from a few pieces of fanart, since I couldn't find any art of Crono and Erdrick together.

Erdrick comes from this piece of artwork (I can't find a source or artist, if anybody happens to know where this comes from please let me know):

Crono comes from this piece by Robaato:

The background was drawn by another unknown artist:

EDIT: None of the images seem to be working lmao. This is the Erdrick art, this is the Crono art, and this is the background.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey, thanks! I made it myself from a few pieces of fanart, since I couldn't find any art of Crono and Erdrick together.

Erdrick comes from this piece of artwork (I can't find a source or artist, if anybody happens to know where this comes from please let me know):

Crono comes from this piece by Robaato:

The background was drawn by another unknown artist:

EDIT: None of the images seem to be working lmao. This is the Erdrick art, this is the Crono art, and this is the background.
You have photoshop skills? :O
That'd make it so much simpler to make one with girl erdrick and jane. XD

I really like your avatar too. :4pacman:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Theres also a Kamen Rider statue. That's pretty cool.
There's two statues actually, but both of Ichigo(the first Rider), one of his first look, but I forgot where, and one of his Shin Ichigo form in front of Bandai Head Office. Also there's a Akaranger(the Red Ranger from the first Super Sentai) in front of Ishinomori Manga Museum.
I usually said that the 3 best franchises in different medias to understand a bit better the nowdays Japanese culture is: Dragon Quest, Kamen Rider and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
There's two statues actually, but both of Ichigo(the first Rider), one of his first look, but I forgot where, and one of his Shin Ichigo form in front of Bandai Head Office. Also there's a Akaranger(the Red Ranger from the first Super Sentai) in front of Ishinomori Manga Museum.
I usually said that the 3 best franchises in different medias to understand a bit better the nowdays Japanese culture is: Dragon Quest, Kamen Rider and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Sounds like the trifecta of Japanese culture. I should really watch kamen rider at some point

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
What about the OG Kamen Rider or shows like Decade?
The Showa era ones are pretty old and very low budget and some times hard to find, so it's better for people that are already in Tokusatsu in some form, but they have a bit more martial arts and are a bit more serious. From that era I recommend Black and Black RX.
Unlike Gokaiger that is a commemorative series for Super Sentai that is the best first SS to watch for beginners, Decade and Zi-O are the worst KR to start. Both have complicated plots that requires to watch every Heisei Era Riders before to fully understand. Also Decade end in two Movies.
Also Zi-O spoils every Heisei series.

Sorry, forgot to explain:
Showa era:
Kamen Rider(1971)-Kamen Rider Black RX(1989)+The Three Movie Riders(Shin 1992, ZO 1993, J 1994)
Heisei era, Phase 1&2:
Kuuga(2000)-Decade(2009), W(2009)-Zi-O(2018)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The Showa era ones are pretty old and very low budget and some times hard to find, so it's better for people that are already in Tokusatsu in some form, but they have a bit more martial arts and are a bit more serious. From that era I recommend Black and Black RX.
Unlike Gokaiger that is a commemorative series for Super Sentai that is the best first SS to watch for beginners, Decade and Zi-O are the worst KR to start. Both have complicated plots that requires to watch every Heisei Era Riders before to fully understand. Also Decade end in two Movies.
Also Zi-O spoils every Heisei series.

Sorry, forgot to explain:
Showa era:
Kamen Rider(1971)-Kamen Rider Black RX(1989)+The Three Movie Riders(Shin 1992, ZO 1993, J 1994)
Heisei era, Phase 1&2:
Kuuga(2000)-Decade(2009), W(2009)-Zi-O(2018)
I did a little research on the franchise. Japan anyways puts 555 at the top of the list with Den-O being consistently part of the top 5.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Time to share some art. Here's a cool one with girl erdrick. And notice she's using an axe-like sword (a reall badass one at that. I think it's the thunderbolt blade??)

dq3-03.jpg

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I did a little research on the franchise. Japan anyways puts 555 at the top of the list with Den-O being consistently part of the top 5.
Yes, 555 and Den-O are one of the best, but I usually recommend Build or Gaim first as they are from the 2nd Phase of Heisei era, so it's better to get used to the style of the series as it is currently and is easy to go back to the 1st Phase, winch have more quite trinkets, less forms and are a bit more dark. Also 555 got you too much hyped so it usually damage the enjoyment of the next series you watch, it's why Blade usually got treated a little lower, even been a great series.
Den-O is really great, I would recommend it too, but is a really light tone and humorous Rider so it's better to watch with this in mind.(Also, Momotaros best KR character)

Time to share some art. Here's a cool one with girl erdrick. And notice she's using an axe-like sword (a reall badass one at that. I think it's the thunderbolt blade??)

View attachment 207634
That's so cool! I'll do you anotherView attachment 207657
Those arts are really awesome.
Hope they got various versions of each weapon for each hero on the A button if they really do the multi-weapon treatment.
And love the pixelated Japanese text format from old DQ. Would love to put the Japanese version of one of my books in this font or similar when I release it.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I got bored and decided to scan some Miis for my Switch. There actually isn't a direct way to do this, so I decided to scan QR codes with my 3DS, examine my copies in Mii Maker, and carefully recreate all the settings on the Switch Mii Maker.

(Pro tip: make sure the Miis you scan have their setting set so you can copy them, as this is how you can examine their settings with your own copy. If they can't be copied then you'll have to guess your way through the Mii Maker on Switch)

I was curious, so I searched for our hero...

http://www.miicharacters.com/?_form=searchform&terms=Erdrick&search=Find+Miis&searchfields[]=n&searchfields[]=t

http://www.miicharacters.com/?_form=searchform&terms=Roto&search=Find+Miis&searchfields[]=n&searchfields[]=t

http://www.miicharacters.com/?_form=searchform&terms=Loto&search=Find+Miis&searchfields[]=n&searchfields[]=t

No dice :(

Ironically, if you search Dragon Quest, you just get a Slime Mii. Guess that proves the Slime is all most people know about the series :shrugemoji:

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Yes, 555 and Den-O are one of the best, but I usually recommend Build or Gaim first as they are from the 2nd Phase of Heisei era, so it's better to get used to the style of the series as it is currently and is easy to go back to the 1st Phase, winch have more quite trinkets, less forms and are a bit more dark. Also 555 got you too much hyped so it usually damage the enjoyment of the next series you watch, it's why Blade usually got treated a little lower, even been a great series.
Den-O is really great, I would recommend it too, but is a really light tone and humorous Rider so it's better to watch with this in mind.(Also, Momotaros best KR character)

Those arts are really awesome.
Hope they got various versions of each weapon for each hero on the A button if they really do the multi-weapon treatment.
And love the pixelated Japanese text format from old DQ. Would love to put the Japanese version of one of my books in this font or similar when I release it.

Just adding these because of the conversation ;) (Based on most popular in Japan)

I got bored and decided to scan some Miis for my Switch. There actually isn't a direct way to do this, so I decided to scan QR codes with my 3DS, examine my copies in Mii Maker, and carefully recreate all the settings on the Switch Mii Maker.

(Pro tip: make sure the Miis you scan have their setting set so you can copy them, as this is how you can examine their settings with your own copy. If they can't be copied then you'll have to guess your way through the Mii Maker on Switch)

I was curious, so I searched for our hero...

http://www.miicharacters.com/?_form=searchform&terms=Erdrick&search=Find+Miis&searchfields[]=n&searchfields[]=t

http://www.miicharacters.com/?_form=searchform&terms=Roto&search=Find+Miis&searchfields[]=n&searchfields[]=t

http://www.miicharacters.com/?_form=searchform&terms=Loto&search=Find+Miis&searchfields[]=n&searchfields[]=t

No dice :(

Ironically, if you search Dragon Quest, you just get a Slime Mii. Guess that proves the Slime is all most people know about the series :shrugemoji:
Yeah had a conversation about this in the Smash discord. Had to explain why I personally think a Hero is much better suited over a slime.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi y'all.
I'm gathering the info on the erdrick leaks. So far I've got Tansut, Xenother, and finishing getting the links for Vergeben.
Is Hitagi worth mentioning? I've heard that one being discredited.

Were there other leakers to mention?

Also, I'm wondering what exactly polar panda said and if there's anything to say there, but my assumption is that she's going off of the leakers we already know. I'm not sure tho.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hi y'all.
I'm gathering the info on the erdrick leaks. So far I've got Tansut, Xenother, and finishing getting the links for Vergeben.

Also, I'm wondering what exactly polar panda said and if there's anything to say there, but my assumption is that she's going off of the leakers we already know. I'm not sure tho.
Panda said to me on Twitter that the only person who hasn't heard about Erdrick till now that she had contacted is her main source.
Anyone got a chance to talk recently with someone of them?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Panda said to me on Twitter that the only person who hasn't heard about Erdrick till now that she had contacted is her main source.
Anyone got a chance to talk recently with someone of them?
Ok. Well, that's a roundabout way of saying something so I'm guessing they're the same ones we already know about.
I dont know if I should mention her hearing about erdrick, but i'll at least put up what she said about p5u being delayed.

D

Deleted member

Hi y'all.

Polar has no certain answer on whether Erdrick is in. Wouldn't use her as a source. Neither would I use Hitagi. Dude's lost his credibility on the subject.

Also nice job taking over the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Polar has no certain answer on whether Erdrick is in. Wouldn't use her as a source. Neither would I use Hitagi. Dude's lost his credibility on the subject.

Also nice job taking over the OP.
I'm just going to make a side mention of hitagi, nothing more.
And I'll just say that polar backs xenother and stuff like that. The main ones are still tansut an verge.

I have all the pieces now so I'm going to get to writing it soon. If someone knows or remembers someone else regarding the leaks lemme know.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to make a side mention of hitagi, nothing more.
And I'll just say that polar backs xenother and stuff like that. The main ones are still tansut an verge.

I have all the pieces now so I'm going to get to writing it soon. If someone knows or remembers someone else regarding the leaks lemme know.
What did you think about asking Polar here if she could help with any insider/leaker that we maybe forget to put on this recap list?
She answered a question recently for the Geno's board, maybe she answer here too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What did you think about asking Polar here if she could help with any insider/leaker that we maybe forget to put on this recap list?
She answered a question recently for the Geno's board, maybe she answer here too.
I think it'll be ok with what I have at least for now, but someone can ask if they want.

I'll let yous know when I'm done with the section. I'm more than half-way there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom