• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

Percon

Smash Lord
Majora's Mask: What a beautiful, beautiful game. Brilliant time mechanics, most difficult of the 3D zeldas (MQ aside, but this still had more difficult combat), ample side quests. Also, the sidequests were fun, meaningful and often added story. Bombers' notebook was handy for fining stuff out on your own, and the entire world is alive in this one. Also, best music. I replay this game once every year.

Link's Awakening: My first Zelda game, and a good one at that, though there may be some bias here. Great main quest/sidequest balance and pretty long for a gameboy game. Great dungeons and bosses (except for turtle rock boss... huge letdown), and I liked the occasional sidescrolling segments. Wart is in it.

Wind Waker: Best story, best effort to link (get it?) the games and still great music. Triforce hunting I didn't mind the first time through, though it makes replaying somewhat of a chore. Loved the visuals and the characters. I didn't mind the sailing, either, though I know that was a low point for some. Also, I loved the toybox feel and it had some unique sidequests (trophies, anyone?)

Ocarina of Time: Great length, sidequests, epic showdown, etc. You all know why this game is great. I never developed as much of an attachment to it as the ones above, though.

Twilight Princess: Liked the visual style, too easy though. Puzzles were ok, combat was a joke. Though, it becomes the most fun game to do a three heart run with (+ Zora armor!) because of the options you have (more sword techniques + wolf form). I thought the bow controls were good on wii. I liked the main theme and boss hurt music, as well as some remixes from older titles. Great length but few sidequests. Though I do like the fact that you can do all the sidequests on your own (hearts + bugs + other SQ's), except finding all of the poes because of the fortune teller and stuff. I like that mechanic, it was used well in the Paper Mario games too.

Phantom Hourglass: Pretty good, some puzzles were insanely clever, including my favorite puzzle ever (yes, I have a favorite puzzle). Combat was surprisingly decent too. Worst music though, IMO.

Minish Cap: Sill decent, but... the sidequests seemed really weird to me. The fusion/medallion thing seemed really random and the rewards usually sucked. I don't mind there only being 4 main dungeons, but I didn't like the "tiny" mechanic as much.

I still have to play Alltp...

Violent-nin

Smash Ace
Okay if were taking this on a larger scale and what's simply the best game, the first game that comes to mind is Chrono Trigger (SNES was too good).

pastaboy

Smash Champion
TP was too easym the strongest damage an enemy does to you is 1 heart.
in Lttp the most a enemy does was those centaurs on the death mountain, i think they did 8 hearts!!

edit: i am a G

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Majora's Mask: What a beautiful, beautiful game. Brilliant time mechanics, most difficult of the 3D zeldas (MQ aside, but this still had more difficult combat), ample side quests. Also, the sidequests were fun, meaningful and often added story. Bombers' notebook was handy for fining stuff out on your own, and the entire world is alive in this one. Also, best music. I replay this game once every year.
Percon gets it :laugh:

I'm so happy that it's on Virtual Console now. It's the first game I'll be playing through this summer.

Other games in my top 20 include Mario 64 and World, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3, Pokemon RBY, Resident Evil 4 and more that I can't remember right now :)

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody here played Dragon Force or Guardian Heroes for Sega Saturn? I miss those games. :(

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Anyone a Kingdom Hearts fan? I can't wait for the new one on DS. Played a bit of it in Japanese, but doesn't mean anything if I don't know the storyline...

Percon

Smash Lord
Anyone a Kingdom Hearts fan? I can't wait for the new one on DS. Played a bit of it in Japanese, but doesn't mean anything if I don't know the storyline...
Hmm... I got the first and second one both used and was really excited to play them... then I got to Peter Pan's area in the first one and kind of stopped playing.

I dunno what it is... something about the combat feels a little awkward to me, like there isn't enough feedback for hitting an enemy or something. There's very little satisfaction in landing hits...

But, I'm not going to give up on it. I'll finish playing it and probably play the second, but unless I'm blown away by the latter half of the game I probably won't keep them.

The story also seemed somewhat bland. I like the Disney themes but all the worlds are so disjointed and have their own story so there isn't a whole lot of focus. Of course, I haven't really gotten into the meat and potatoes of the story yet (all the KH fans at my school are like "yay Roxas" and I'm like "yay?").

Mikey7

Smash Lord
I like the Disney part...where else can I get away with going to see my old friend Pooh bear and not look like a psychopath except in a cool game that owns lol : p ...and Square was the best company ever until FF 11 lol

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
LOL see the game is such a gimmick...they slap on all these characters you know in the hopes that it will make you buy the game. It's just like Advent Children, if there were no FF7 chars in it people wouldn't care about it and would admit that it sucked.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Yeah its true about the slapping on the characters part, but its not like the story is dead weight like advent children lol. I find the KH storyline to be quite good...and thats all that I really care about in single player games lol - hence why I've pretty much played every RPG in the book

Gichan

Smash Champion
OMG, Advent Children, LOLOLOLOL. I can't believe I fell for that garbage.

Oh god, that gaaaayy *** part when they are throwing up CLoud and they all say ****, HOW THE **** DID THOSE MOFOS GET THERE FIRST? So much fail...

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
If Square was good and cared more, it wouldn't need to slap these chars on a game and would make all new chars who by themselves are interesting enough to make a good game with a captivating storyline, you know much like older games lol.

I think I've displayed enough KH hate for one day. :chuckle:

Mikey7

Smash Lord
That was a really good business move to combine the greatness that is Final Fantasy in video games with Disney movies though, kinda covers all audiences.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
True, I'm sure they've made tons of money on those games. As long as they make games like that and FF games business will be good for them. It's how Nintendo is still alive haha.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Gichan don't make me own your Nintendo fanboy dreams again...

Btw, I think every FF game sucks except for FF4, FF6 and FFT. Some were okay like FF7...the rest suck especially FF8 LOL.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Yo michelle don't start on the 8 man, I don't want to bring the pain, **** is too fail. I thought 9 looked cool, I stil wanna play that. And 10 looked awesome to, X2 was something else...jesus...

And if you proceed to talk **** about Nintendo I'll make your animal crossing character get bed hair, what ya gonna do now? owned.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to bother debating on that one lol. I respect other people's opinions no matter how fail they are. LOLOLOL :chuckle: <333

PND

Smash Champion
I hated FF10. But Bender was in it, so s'all good.
(Wakka was voiced by John DiMaggio, the voice of Bender from Futurama)

I just really, really hated Tidus. He was SO annoying, he made me want to reach through the screen and punch him. I enjoyed the Yuna / Wakka / Lulu dynamic, Kimahri and Auron were just meh, their "bad ***-ness" felt far too forced for my liking. And I never made up my opinion on Rikku. Some scenes she's awesome, others I hate her.

12 had no character development at all. Balthier was the only good character, and even he got annoying by the end. And the battle system was fail, IMO. If they give you the option to run around the enemy, at least make it DO something. Oh look, I flanked this T-Rex. Oh wait, he can instantly turn around, attack the empty air where I was, and I still took damage. Fun -_-. The environments and cities were pretty cool, though.

8 was okay, but I never beat it. I got to the last disc IIRC and it was scratched (I bought it used) and wouldn't work. . . and yet, I had no real desire to see it through. I'm sure if I had beaten it I'd have a higher opinion of it. I absolutely loved FF9. FF7 was good. Overrated, but a still a solid game. FF4, 5, and 6 are still the best in the series. And FF Tactics is amazing. It's SOO good.

But I've pretty much grown out of RPGs, or at least, most JRPG's anyway. I 100% beat KH1, but didn't really get into the plot, I just played through for the Disney aspect. Star Ocean 4 was pretty lame and failed to keep my interest, mostly because of subpar characters being forced down my throat. The cool characters were given the backseat to little 5 year old lolis and catgirls in far too revealing clothing. Tales of Symphonia was amazing, best JRPG I've played in a long time, but Vesperia was terrible. (Aside from Yuri and Repede. . . and Judith and Rita were tolerable before they got all "OMG FRIENDSHIP HAPPINESS & RAINBOWS" on me.

The World Ends With You was another incredible RPG, I recommend this game HIGHLY to everyone, even non RPG fans who are looking for a great plot with loads of social commentary about teenage culture and materialism. The battle system was mad fun, too.

But I'm slowly starting to migrate to WRPGs like Oblivion, Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Fallout 3. They just seem to hold my attention more, and they offer morally ambiguous choices, some of which I have even regretted and felt guilt for. I like the exploration of the morally gray area now, as opposed to saving the world with a ragtag group of misfits who believe in FRIENDSHIP!

But Fighting Games are still the best. [/rant]

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
So I'm a little late on this but I'll join in on it anyway...

TP > OoT (MQ) > MM > LttP > OoT > Oracle of Ages > The Legend of Zelda > Four Swords Adventure > Four Swords > Oracle of Seasons > Link's Awakening > Link's Adventure > Inui > Wind Waker

The only problem with TP was that it was too easy, but other than that it had no flaws. It was nearly the perfect game, other games in the Zelda series (MM and OoT included) have had more and worse flaws than TP. Wind Waker was horrible. I've never seen a game artificially pad its length worse than WW did.

Also Final Fantasy games go
6 > 4 > 1 > Legends 3 > Tactics > 5 > Legends 2 > Legends 1 > 3 > 2 > 10 > Tactics Advance > 7 > 8 > 9 > 12 and if you disagree with that order you are stupid (actually you can safely disagree with the order of any of them except for 6, 4, and 1). :)

Gichan

Smash Champion
I hated FF10. But Bender was in it, so s'all good.
(Wakka was voiced by John DiMaggio, the voice of Bender from Futurama)

I just really, really hated Tidus. He was SO annoying, he made me want to reach through the screen and punch him. I enjoyed the Yuna / Wakka / Lulu dynamic, Kimahri and Auron were just meh, their "bad ***-ness" felt far too forced for my liking. And I never made up my opinion on Rikku. Some scenes she's awesome, others I hate her.

12 had no character development at all. Balthier was the only good character, and even he got annoying by the end. And the battle system was fail, IMO. If they give you the option to run around the enemy, at least make it DO something. Oh look, I flanked this T-Rex. Oh wait, he can instantly turn around, attack the empty air where I was, and I still took damage. Fun -_-. The environments and cities were pretty cool, though.

8 was okay, but I never beat it. I got to the last disc IIRC and it was scratched (I bought it used) and wouldn't work. . . and yet, I had no real desire to see it through. I'm sure if I had beaten it I'd have a higher opinion of it. I absolutely loved FF9. FF7 was good. Overrated, but a still a solid game. FF4, 5, and 6 are still the best in the series. And FF Tactics is amazing. It's SOO good.

But I've pretty much grown out of RPGs, or at least, most JRPG's anyway. I 100% beat KH1, but didn't really get into the plot, I just played through for the Disney aspect. Star Ocean 4 was pretty lame and failed to keep my interest, mostly because of subpar characters being forced down my throat. The cool characters were given the backseat to little 5 year old lolis and catgirls in far too revealing clothing. Tales of Symphonia was amazing, best JRPG I've played in a long time, but Vesperia was terrible. (Aside from Yuri and Repede. . . and Judith and Rita were tolerable before they got all "OMG FRIENDSHIP HAPPINESS & RAINBOWS" on me.

The World Ends With You was another incredible RPG, I recommend this game HIGHLY to everyone, even non RPG fans who are looking for a great plot with loads of social commentary about teenage culture and materialism. The battle system was mad fun, too.

But I'm slowly starting to migrate to WRPGs like Oblivion, Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Fallout 3. They just seem to hold my attention more, and they offer morally ambiguous choices, some of which I have even regretted and felt guilt for. I like the exploration of the morally gray area now, as opposed to saving the world with a ragtag group of misfits who believe in FRIENDSHIP!

But Fighting Games are still the best. [/rant]

Wow, I cannot agree with you more, holy ****, you have almost the exact thoughts on the same games, LOL. Except for FF7 I liked it too much. This guy owns.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Legends 3
**** yes, that game is so made up of win its not funny.

Most epic **** ever, I ****ing loved those characters as a kid, and thought of Borgin as the ultimate cool character.

Maaan, Legends 3... now that is a journey down memory lane.

But really though FFT > all FF#'s.

What a game, amazing battle system, incredibly deep and rich character customization challenging levels (the first time through) that didn't hold your hand (like almost everygame released ever nowadays...). But aside from the gameplay itself the storyline, characters, music and everything adds up in to this amazing feel and atmosphere... I can't really think of another game I've ever played that has music so well fitted to its style. I've got the soundtrack on my mp3 player but there is almost no need for it as I pretty much know all the songs by memory. The **** intro scene/music still gives me chills to this day.

Which reminds me, anyone play Wild Arms? The intro to it almost overwhelms my senses with nostalgic emotion every time I see it.... Anyone else get that feeling with other games or know what I'm talking about?

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
I get that feeling with both the FFT intro and the Wild Arms intro lol. I also like the Chrono Cross intro music. I have a lot of video game soundtracks on my computer. :) I love all the songs in FFT, one of my favs is Ovelia's theme.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
I love tension! I also like Decisive Battle, Remnants, Antidote...dammit I love all of them XDD

Percon

Smash Lord

Agreed with all of this, especially TWEWY. It was a very, very well done RPG.

Though I did like Vesperia a lot... the story was the weakest out of ToS/ToA/ToV but it had the best battle system out of all of them and was the most welcoming for multiplayer.

PND

Smash Champion
I agree with the Wild Arms love. The intro to 1 is probably my favorite intro to any game I've ever played. I really love the Wild Arms series, though. I never played 2, but 1, 3, and 4 were all incredible.

Lufia 2 is still one of my favorite RPGs though. I'm replaying it now, for the first time it maybe 6-7 years. Either I've gotten a lot smarter with the puzzles, or I have an incredible memory. <3 that game.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Chrono Cross' Another World song is one of my favourite songs period. That **** was too **** good.

I've never gotten a chance to play Wild Arms, nor Tactics, I got owned, lol.

Oh man PND, I find that feeling hilarious when you go back to something and do it with ease and you think your cool for five seconds cause your smarter, lol.

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, there's that feeling of "alright! I'm awesome!" Because of how much difficulty you had with it before lol. I have the same feeling with certain bosses, or when playing platformers now.

Man, in first year university someone stole my copy of FF Tactics and Chrono Cross, my PS2, along with a whole bunch of other stuff. I still have disc 2 of Chrono Cross, though, because it was in my PS1 at the time.

I've been dying to replay them, but now I can't find any reasonably priced copies anywhere.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
**** yes, that game is so made up of win its not funny.

Most epic **** ever, I ****ing loved those characters as a kid, and thought of Borgin as the ultimate cool character.

Maaan, Legends 3... now that is a journey down memory lane.

But really though FFT > all FF#'s.

What a game, amazing battle system, incredibly deep and rich character customization challenging levels (the first time through) that didn't hold your hand (like almost everygame released ever nowadays...). But aside from the gameplay itself the storyline, characters, music and everything adds up in to this amazing feel and atmosphere... I can't really think of another game I've ever played that has music so well fitted to its style. I've got the soundtrack on my mp3 player but there is almost no need for it as I pretty much know all the songs by memory. The **** intro scene/music still gives me chills to this day.

Which reminds me, anyone play Wild Arms? The intro to it almost overwhelms my senses with nostalgic emotion every time I see it.... Anyone else get that feeling with other games or know what I'm talking about?
YES! THIS MAN GETS IT. amazing story, battle system, music, omg too good. Final Fantasy Tactics definitely top 5 on my list. So many memories indeed.

My faves are definitely:
under the stars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBiv-9yH14
tension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_OsdjIdSpw - The definition of epic.
battle on the bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49JZ9v79iM
and good old trisection, everyone loves trisection haha : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrQv36YFgg

Ahh the memories...
Under the stars...so that's the name of the song. I just called it Izlude's theme lol. He was pretty badass, so was Zalbag.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
my favorite game is Contra 3 Alien Wars, i know, i have a unique(aka bad) taste in games

i never really cared for RPGs

Top Bottom