• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Footstool: Useless Gimmick or Powerful Weapon Discussion.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
On the dojo, I'm sure all of us looked at Footstools as simple harmless gimmicks that Sakurai put in just for giggles and would be useless in competitive play. When the game came out, this was generally the idea. However, some discoveries have been found that make Footstooling a potential out of shield option, and as a sure-spike with characters like Toon Link.

But is it really all worth it? Does Footstooling have any place in competitive play outside of "mindgames?" I'm curious as to how this discussion will turn out.

Interesting points that have been made so far about Footstooling:

God-is-my-Rock's video about Grounded-Footstool-Combos.

Always go for footstools vs characters with laggy up-airs and bad recoveries that normally fall and die if they attack. by not attacking them, you can try to punish their airdodge without suffering the lag from an attempted aerial off-stage.

idk. I do actively try to footstool characters like DK and ike whenever they are below stage level.
Footstool shine. Why? It's twice the insult, and slightly better than either by itself.

Nondamaging weak meteor smash + nerfed Melee staple = BARWL WIN.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Useless gimmick....

Well not really, there are many applications which are useful, and some are trash. The diddy hump to footstool combo that Ninjalink pulled off against M2K is awesome for example.

sam4

Smash Cadet
It's used to space certain aerials, like Marth's Dair.

And having a weak spike/meteor is always helpful in preventing your opponent's recovery, even if it is weak.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I footstool all the time, even in competative play. It's an AWESOME tool, and it's very important. Learning and knowing ALL your options is imperative to competing at the highest level. Footstooling is one of those important ones.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I use footstools more or less depending on what character I am using

Marth has a footstool dair-tipper spike that is pretty sweet, ZSS has her flipstool, TL has a footstool spike as well.

Others like ROB i don't seem to use them as much

Browny

Smash Hater
Always go for footstools vs characters with laggy up-airs and bad recoveries that normally fall and die if they attack. by not attacking them, you can try to punish their airdodge without suffering the lag from an attempted aerial off-stage.

idk. I do actively try to footstool characters like DK and ike whenever they are below stage level.

clowsui

Smash Legend
footstools are ridiculously useful, especially with characters that have hard to hit spikes (e.g. marth).

mastering footstooling successfully helps you destroy characters with bad vertical recoveries or have generally predictable options moving upwards

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Just to add another personal example to this thread, if you fail to sweetspot Zelda's dair, you can follow up with a footstools, so you basically get two downward pushes on the opponent. Very helpful, as it also gives me a guaranteed recovery with no Up B involved.

Mith_

Smash Champion
This is a powerful weapon. No where near useless.

I'm sure you've seen God-is-my-Rock's footstool combo video. And those have been discovered recently.

Like Pierce said nobody ever sees it coming. If I have an opponent running at me the last thing I'm gonna try and do is avoid his footstool.

It adds luck to the game too, like when you and your opponent are both under the level, and you keep mashing that jump button until something happens. Ah I love that xD

Teh Future

Smash Master
its random for everyone, which is why they are dumb and should never have been in the game in the first place.

Im not saying that they are always random, and they can be useful when used in the right situations. But im sure everyone here has been screwed over by a random footstool that makes no sense or vice versa against their opponent. imo that overrides any usefulness it has and automatically places it in the "gay" category.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
its random for everyone, which is why they are dumb and should never have been in the game in the first place.

Im not saying that they are always random, and they can be useful when used in the right situations. But im sure everyone here has been screwed over by a random footstool that makes no sense or vice versa against their opponent. imo that overrides any usefulness it has and automatically places it in the "gay" category.
Um, quite the oppisite. If it's gay, we probably allow it.

Teh Future

Smash Master
ummm lolwat?

Some things you can do with footstools can pretty pretty cool, but im just saying that because they can happen randomly off of the stage and cause someone to die makes it almost as dumb as tripping.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I love Footstools. I also can't say I've been "screwed over" by one. Then again, I DO have 5 jumps and Rising Pounds between 'em to recover...

ytv

Smash Apprentice
A very important tool for any character..Makes it harder for your opponent to recover back on to the stage

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The only safe way to use Toon Link's Dair.

Whoever thinks footstool jumps are dumb izzzz dumb =/

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
I always end up doing a combo with ROB involving footstools, without even trying! Stage spike bair> footstool. This helps so much at lower-percents for me too.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
It's an incredibly powerful tool for gimping horizontal recoveries. A footstooled Dk auto loses that stock for example. It's also devestating to characters with generally bad/predictable upBs, (fox/falco) since they rely on their double jump for saftey. It can be used to space aerials, like marths/TLs Dair. It can be used to recover if your opponent jumps off to gimp you. And it's completley unexpected as well. Also, some characters can combo out of it on the ground. Or provied an opportunity for a jab lock if they are falling on the stage and preparing to tech.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lvl9 comps seem to be able to space pretty well when it comes to footstooling U-airs.

>__>

it'd be kind of annoying to have to deal with that coming from a human player lol.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Footstools are pretty cool, but i can only do them randomely. Its funny when your on the ground and then randomly up high in the air

OverLade

Smash Hero
lvl9 comps seem to be able to space pretty well when it comes to footstooling U-airs.

>__>

it'd be kind of annoying to have to deal with that coming from a human player lol.
If humans knew how to use Footstooling like Level 9s edguarding with/against some characters would become a lot trickier.

But A lot of Pros use footstooling on the occasion with success so I dont think it's not viable. I think people are just too lazy to work on it and learn.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I destroy yoshis with this.
Your either playing online (where Yoshi significantly sucks)
Or playing incompetent people.

Since Footstools are so easy to break, and Yoshi can prevent you from getting one on him with ease.
By that, I mean simply doing an aerial or airdodging.

Now...

Foot stooling Multijump characters is the way to go especially Giggle puff.

Foot stool is cool on stage, since people are less on guard (from my perspective) for them, but off stage people generally are more aware of any gimp attempt coming at them, and try a lot harder to make sure they dont get hit.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I think I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a little bit to try to kick up some discussion instead of everyone agreeing with each other and to try to get more information about footstool's uses here. I personally find Footstools to be somewhat useful for some characters, but I'm a bit curious on everyone else's thoughts.

The only safe way to use Toon Link's Dair.

Whoever thinks footstool jumps are dumb izzzz dumb =/
However, to do the Dair-footstool, isn't the timing window so small that you basically have to already know that the footstool will hit before you Dair, meaning that if you miss, you die anyways? Also, since everyone knows that Toon Link's Dair spikes at the startup, why would an opponent let you get that close above him while you're Toon Link? Isn't that a death sentence even if they don't use the footstool and go directly for the Dair, like most people do? What makes the footstool Dair better than a regular Dair, since both have the same risk/reward, except one requires slightly more setup apparently?

I destroy yoshis with this.
Good Yoshis know how good their Uair and Egg Toss is. Getting above a Yoshi without an attack with more range than Lucario's Dair is generally a bad idea. <<
I footstool all the time, even in competative play. It's an AWESOME tool, and it's very important. Learning and knowing ALL your options is imperative to competing at the highest level. Footstooling is one of those important ones.
...Shouldn't your opponent be Uairing? Don't most of the characters in top/high tier have generally good Upwards-hitting aerials with more range than a footstool, which generally has none? Also, footstooling does not cancel any animation other than a neutral state, which means if they attack, airdodge or do anything other than just sit there like an idjit, then they're pretty much safe, and you're pretty screwed? How do you condition your foes to allow you to pull off footstools?

Interesting point. I think I'll add that to the first post.
Footstooling is also one of the LEAST telegraphed 'attacks' in the game, AND it helps recovery and to escape bad situations. It's both good on offense and defense.
It may be the least telegraphed attack in the game, but it's also the absolute easiest to punish/avoid move in the game because of this property, since characters coming into you from offstage usually are attempting to attack, and since the character being edgeguarded generally does not approve of this, they usually try to ward off the attack with either an attack of their own, or by airdodging. Sadly, both of these negate the footstool, as even if they miss their attack attempt, footstooling does not go through attack animations.
This is a powerful weapon. No where near useless.

I'm sure you've seen God-is-my-Rock's footstool combo video. And those have been discovered recently.

Like Pierce said nobody ever sees it coming. If I have an opponent running at me the last thing I'm gonna try and do is avoid his footstool.

It adds luck to the game too, like when you and your opponent are both under the level, and you keep mashing that jump button until something happens. Ah I love that xD
The problem with grounded footstool combos for most characters is the sad fact that many characters with options out of a footstool are sadly unable to create an opening to use it. Toon Link, DK, Pikachu, etc. can somewhat utilize a grounded footstool due to their ability to force trips, which can be footstooled, but most characters cannot force trips to utilize their grounded footstool, like DDD, Peach, Ganondorf, Lucario, etc. Also, many footstool combos aren't as useful as other potential followups. For example, Pikachu may be able to both get in a trip and footstool his opponent, which allows a free QAC to Nair, but he also has many other options rather than going for a footstool, like a running Usmash for an early KO, or Fsmash. Many characters have footstool combos, but the problem is that unless they can force a trip, the only way they can pull it off is by having their opponent horribly mess up their spacing, or that they're stupidly standing right next to them without doing anything, as even a shield will negate the footstool's lag.

If an opponent is running at you, chances are they're going to attack. What're the best ways to avoid attacks? Attacking with your own attack, and avoiding the attack by shielding, spotdodging, SHADing, or just getting out of the way. Footstooling cannot counter any of these options, sadly, which means that even though it's extremely unpredictable, it doesn't mean that you'll be able to pull it off any more than a more predictable move.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
kitamerby said:
...Shouldn't your opponent be Uairing? Don't most of the characters in top/high tier have generally good Upwards-hitting aerials with more range than a footstool, which generally has none? Also, footstooling does not cancel any animation other than a neutral state, which means if they attack, airdodge or do anything other than just sit there like an idjit, then they're pretty much safe, and you're pretty screwed? How do you condition your foes to allow you to pull off footstools?

Why is your opponent not uairing?
cuz you cannot grab the edge and attack at the same time.

You can bait an attack which will cause them to miss the ledge or they do not attack and get footstooled, assuming they are not recovering with their upb or are sonic or snake etc.

Also I double footstooled a kirby today, not to mention kirby has a dair to footstool which is nearly a guarenteed spike on every character including MK.

I vote awesome

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Footstool shine. Why? It's twice the insult, and slightly better than either by itself.

Nondamaging weak meteor smash + nerfed Melee staple = BARWL WIN.

Denzi

Smash Master
Footstool + Marth's/Tlink's Dair = awesomeness.

Either way, it's a powerful weapon of destruction.

BOP!

Smash Rookie
I can't ever get it to work, Either it just dosen't work for timing reasons or it gets cancled by upairs because they would be using them anyway.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Footstools are especially important for ICs because they're easier than most alt. grabs, inescapable, and they're a way to get around tourney-specific rules limiting the amount of regrabs ICs can do.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I barely even notice.
I so rarely even footstool anyone on purpose, it's usually by accident.
I don't care much for it.

POKE40

Smash Lord
1) Under certain characters and players-
Its powerful and unique tool for interferring of opponent's recovery and applies a recovery boost for your player so you don't have to up-b on some occasions. It can also help for a infinite

2) Under other players-
Its useless since it has been either: underrated, overlooked as gimmick, not mastered, not necessary.

I personally don't use footstooling although I should use it more for recovery and meteor smashing. So I have to master it.

Top Bottom