• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Empoleon's Nair

Raimundo

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it at the moment, most people that use Empoleon's Nair useless. Now that I have started getting more into the metagames business, I've started to look into more uses for Nair.

The Nair > Grab
I use this the most, so I guess it would only be wise if I know what I'm talking about. With this tactic at low %'s ranging from 0% - 60% depending on the character. Since this method is almost self-explanatory, or should be, I'm just going to provide a character list of testing I did recently.

Nair > Grab Character List *

:mario2: --------------- 0% ~ 44%
:luigi2: --------------- 0% ~ 41%
:peach: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:bowser2: --------------- 0% ~ 52%
:dk2: --------------- 0% ~ 55%
:diddy: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:yoshi2: --------------- 0% ~ 48%
:wario: --------------- 0% ~ 50%
:link2: --------------- 0% ~ 52%
:zelda: --------------- 0% ~ 36%
:shiek: --------------- 0% ~ 41%
:ganondorf: --------------- 0% ~ 52%
:toonlink: --------------- 0% ~ 42%
:samus2: --------------- 0% ~ 34%
:zerosuitsamus: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:pit: --------------- 0% ~ 42%
:popo:** --------------- 0% ~ 39%
:rob: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:kirby2: --------------- 0% ~ 34%
:metaknight: --------------- 0% ~ 38%
:dedede: --------------- 0% ~ 51%
:olimar: --------------- 0% ~ 38%
:fox: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:falco: --------------- 0% ~ 46%
:wolf: --------------- 0% ~ 48%
:falcon: --------------- 0% ~ 49%
:pikachu: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:jigglypuff: --------------- 0% ~ 26%
:squirtle: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:ivysaur: --------------- 0% ~ 43%
:charizard: --------------- 0% ~ 45%
:lucario: --------------- 0% ~ 36%
:marth: --------------- 0% ~ 36%
:ike: --------------- 0% ~ 47%
:ness2: --------------- 0% ~ 39%
:lucas: --------------- 0% ~ 40%
:gw: --------------- 0% ~ 39%
:snake: --------------- 0% ~ 48%
:sonic: --------------- 0% ~ 40%

*Done with approximate testing from lvl 3 CPUs on Training. With correct DI, this can be lowered to a certain degree.
**Without Nana​

The Nair > Aerial
This method is self-explanatory so there will be no chart to see what %'s end the possibility to do this. The Nair > Fair IMO is more than likely be used to build more damage than a single Bthrow and can gain far more knockback. To me, when I do this, this sets me up almost always to be proceded by an attempt Wall of Pain (if at the edge.) The only seen problem with this is that if you don't mindgame into the Nair, this is almost always punished with a grab/smash. The Nair > Nair is just a quicker roundup combo that tends to be quick after the landed Nair. Using this method gets you a quick 24%, but only gets you soo far than what you would expect in terms of damage.

Raimundo

Smash Apprentice
Also...do you mean by fast-falling the neutral > grab? That's what I imagined and that's the one that works, unless if not fastfalling the neutral air works too...
Both fastfalling and just Nair'ing works. It all just depends on whether or not your opponent Di's away from you or just takes the grab. And by grab, I mean a dashing grab.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
I used to do this, but landing a Nair requires you to be on top of your opponent, somewhere I really don't like to be. Also, are you referring to a sweetspotted or sourspotted Nair? I used the latter, only because the former seemed a bit iffy to do consistantly.

On a less serious note, if you scream "NAIR" while performing a Nair.....just do it, preferably in front of others.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Both fastfalling and just Nair'ing works. It all just depends on whether or not your opponent Di's away from you or just takes the grab. And by grab, I mean a dashing grab.
Oh, yeah dashing grab will catch them off guard, but it's not a guarenteed combo. Nice job with the list, just make sure to get percents from versus mode.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Also...do you mean by fast-falling the neutral > grab? That's what I imagined and that's the one that works, unless if not fastfalling the neutral air works too...
I've done this before on a Fox when he was at low %, he wasnt knocked back far enough out of D3's grab range. So after my D3 got out of a FF Nair animation delay, i immediately grabbed him. Didnt dash grab.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Here's your problem.

Never use training mode when testing for percents. The knockback and damage is very different from Versus mode.
Lemme clear this up.

The only thing that is changed is training mode (and all 1P modes, if I recall correctly) do not factor in damage decay. That's all.

So, your data is correct if you assume your nair is fresh.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Lol I've always used Nair to Grab.

I even mentioned it to Beefy couple months ago on AiM but he never learned.

Raimundo

Smash Apprentice
Lemme clear this up.

The only thing that is changed is training mode (and all 1P modes, if I recall correctly) do not factor in damage decay. That's all.

A Nair is 12% when fresh right? If so, then all of the data is correct

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Lemme clear this up.

IIRC Training mode and 1P modes are .95 of versus mode.

Jigglypuff boards seem to know a lot about this.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It depends, the face hump doesn't have that much of a vertical grab range. It is best straight ahead of Diddy. If you nair from the top or diagonal to Diddy, it may not work. Also Nair will probably out prioritize it, the kick is what has all the priority.

Buuman

Smash Ace
I normally fast fall nairs on people to hit with the weak part, which pops them up just a bit above me for an easy up tilt all the time. I do this at low percents, so that the up tilt doesn't knock them that far up, and I usually follow this up with a pivot grab before they hit the ground, although they could jump in some cases.

I feel that nairing while falling on someone to grab is impractical.
1. Theres decent lag if you don't cancel the nair
2. What happens when they shield the nair? A shield grab
3. They can footstool you after you nair them
4. Most characters have a quick aerial they can hit you in the face with before you can grab

Nair > grab isn't useful. Maybe situational, but not practical at all. Although the nair is a move that we all could incorporate more for our air dodging reading when someones coming back to the stage and they Fast fall air dodge into us. The nair is useful for that. Also if someone is hanging on the edge, and as dedede you're trying to hit them when there incinvibility runs out, jump, nair, jump, nair, jump nair...you'll hit them whether they like it or not because the hitbox stays out so long.

Fact: Fresh nair does 12% weak nair does 7%

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It's useful, just situational, and it is practical.

I think Raimundo's the only D3 I've played that's beaten me in all 92 of my matches? .... Let's see:

8 losses:
1 D3 (Rai)
5 Olimars (Olimar can go **** himself)
1 Yoshi/Mario (lolwut, I don't even know what happened here)
1 ROB (lucky *******, I SD'd twice)

He's also the only D3 to destroy me in friendlies (about 1/2 the time. He has his moments.... lol)

Rather then theorycraft and feel it's useless, try it. Also I think at certain %'s you guys have frame advantage by enough that you can grab without being hit in the face.

I swear, it's like the Link boards up in here.

Even if you don't use it 100% of the time, it doesn't mean it's not there and that doesn't mean its useless. This is probably one reason why D3's metagame is so stale. If it's new/looked over ages ago - it must be bad.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hahaha. No they don't. Someone said, Hey, ZSS has a chain grab, they all go, GTFO N00B.
I don't post on there because of the board.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
CRASHiC always rages against the ZSS boards for w/e reason.

It's in people's nature to be scepticle if someone finds a new CG a year after launch. We test our **** and see if it can be used, and in all of our recent discoveries we have found good uses for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're butt hurt because someone on our boards said something, give it up, cause this is like the third time I've randomly run across you trashing our forum, which IMO is one of the best and most productive ones on this site.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I feel that nairing while falling on someone to grab is impractical.
1. Theres decent lag if you don't cancel the nair
2. What happens when they shield the nair? A shield grab
3. They can footstool you after you nair them
4. Most characters have a quick aerial they can hit you in the face with before you can grab

Nair > grab isn't useful. Maybe situational, but not practical at all.
If your going to come in a criticize something before considering all possibilities, then don't say anything and just tell others it will never work avoid using it. Nair > grab is useful in most all situations IF you know what you are doing. And considering that I have used this for quite a long time gives me somewhat of the technical experience to do so and leave a post about. Footstooling us wont do **** to us if we haven't jumped (which I most likely will not) and getting us shieldgrabbed can be easily avoided by just jump mindgaming them into getting hit. If it should have to hit and they attemppt to attack us, shieldgrab them.
We've grabbed them! Now to follow up with a CG (or in my case, Bthrow, since I hardly ever CG).

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Nair is baaaaaaad.

Anyone can predict and hit you with an Utilt/Usmash cause of its super low priority.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
If someone hasn't said this, in training mode attacks don't degenerate in knockback and damage so it getting results from training mode may be a bit unreliable as reference for people who'd like to use this in competitive brawls

Miles.

Smash Champion
I Nair > grab when the oppurtunity presents itself(glad to see I am not the only one that does this) . It is a nice mix up. I like your thoughts on Nair > Fair for racking damage.

Top Bottom