• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

didds

Smash Lord
Yoshi seems to have a lot more control of his egg toss than it previously seemed to me.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi seems to have a lot more control of his egg toss than it previously seemed to me.
Yeah, he's got a ton of control over his *ahem* offspring. It's very useful for zoning and edgeguarding and such. I also like to use it sometimes to support a partner, throwing in eggs to keep the enemy at bay. But I don't recommend that because it could be a hassle for your partner.

didds

Smash Lord
Yeah, he's got a ton of control over his *ahem* offspring. It's very useful for zoning and edgeguarding and such. I also like to use it sometimes to support a partner, throwing in eggs to keep the enemy at bay. But I don't recommend that because it could be a hassle for your partner.
I always manage to somehow only hit my partner :/

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Note to my future self: in TAS input, if the analog stick is outside the circle's radius the game interprets it as the same position vertically translated to the circle's edge (eg. with a TAS position of (0, 256) the game interprets it as (0, 128)). That caused a lot of headache, the last numbers fit only by coincidence.

I got a range of 16.02 to 23.07 degrees, all max range egg tosses within this range will either hit Yoshi or the explosion hitbox will hit Yoshi.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I was just fighting a Lucas CPU and used down smash and the first hit knocked him into the second one.

I'm feeling so many emotions right now.

Scatz

Smash Champion
So. I feel like putting some time to getting my Yoshi up to par with my Mario. I'm going to see if I can get any matches on this Friday/Saturday uploaded.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
So I'm most likely bringing my Yoshi to the monthly over here in Chicago, EXPosure 8.

Sitting in the lab currently for Yoshi and I found out something. If you Dthrow the top fast fallers (i.e. Wolf) at early %s, you really can't do much to follow up for it. You can dthrow > utilt for a free 30% from 0%.

1) Wolf : 3.2
2) Falco: 3.1
3) Captain Falcon: 2.9
4) Fox : 2.8
5) Diddy Kong : 2.55
6) Meta Knight : 2.45
7-8) DK, Roy : 2.4

Top 8 fast fallers you can do this to, Dthrow > Fair isn't an option until higher %s so you can get an easy Dthrow > utilt > Nair at low %s for an easy combo.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Ok so.... copy/pasted from other thread

Sorry i'm still around, just been doing some research and studying... :) Ummmm I'll get to watching some videos. I promise... I admit, (and it's likely due to my lack of matchup knowledge) but is anyone having trouble dealing with Sonic? ran into my first sonic today... first time ever doing the MU.... Wasn't exactly easy... Games could've gone either way, all games were last stock last hit, but I honestly felt my options were rather limited... can't catch the blue guy ><; (if I'm wrong) and I might be.... I'm willing to hear/learn what you guys may have to say :p

Sorry but im very "unfamiliar" with character matchups knowledge, etc. It was a Sonic player named "Nazo?" First time ever playing a Sonic, and wow I was impressed. I'm unsure how he stacks up against the other Sonic's, but I imagine he's one of the best ones, (at least I hope he is, he was good >< (again my P.M. knowledge sucks) He used a nunchuk, and wiimote also, so I was like "WHOA" =D He's really good. Our games were fun and close too, but I wasn't having an easy time dealing with him, (but I suppose that's because I don't play, so I guess im the blame for that) but yeah our matches were fun. I'm glad I snuck in a win honestly. I felt overwhelmed, and I honestly don't feel like that too often... with many matchups.

TLDR, anyone have any specific Sonic anything? Was a "unique" experience for me. :p

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Ok so.... copy/pasted from other thread

Sorry i'm still around, just been doing some research and studying... :) Ummmm I'll get to watching some videos. I promise... I admit, (and it's likely due to my lack of matchup knowledge) but is anyone having trouble dealing with Sonic? ran into my first sonic today... first time ever doing the MU.... Wasn't exactly easy... Games could've gone either way, all games were last stock last hit, but I honestly felt my options were rather limited... can't catch the blue guy ><; (if I'm wrong) and I might be.... I'm willing to hear/learn what you guys may have to say :p

Sorry but im very "unfamiliar" with character matchups knowledge, etc. It was a Sonic player named "Nazo?" First time ever playing a Sonic, and wow I was impressed. I'm unsure how he stacks up against the other Sonic's, but I imagine he's one of the best ones, (at least I hope he is, he was good >< (again my P.M. knowledge sucks) He used a nunchuk, and wiimote also, so I was like "WHOA" =D He's really good. Our games were fun and close too, but I wasn't having an easy time dealing with him, (but I suppose that's because I don't play, so I guess im the blame for that) but yeah our matches were fun. I'm glad I snuck in a win honestly. I felt overwhelmed, and I honestly don't feel like that too often... with many matchups.

TLDR, anyone have any specific Sonic anything? Was a "unique" experience for me. :p
I put some bit of info to your post in the matches thread. Maybe that'll help. If not, I'd be happy to try and think of more things for ya to try out. I'll also go to the lab with Sonic to see what I can find if you'd like. (Though I'd only fight CPU's)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'm searching for my set vs Nazo if it was recorded.... but ummm here's my set vs Axe.. :) My first time ever playing Axe in P.M. it was fun. :)
Uhh I'll leave this here...

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/515518558 <----- match starts at 11:30, I don't know how to do timestamps.. so sorry I suck. :(

EDIT: and anything helps deviljho, again.. it was my first time playing Sonic, and I've asked around, and apparently Nazo, is one of best Sonics.. so I feel better, but I STILL wanna see if I can get a good enough grasp on that matchup..

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I'm searching for my set vs Nazo if it was recorded.... but ummm here's my set vs Axe.. :) My first time ever playing Axe in P.M. it was fun. :)
Uhh I'll leave this here...

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/515518558 <----- match starts at 11:30, I don't know how to do timestamps.. so sorry I suck. :(

EDIT: and anything helps deviljho, again.. it was my first time playing Sonic, and I've asked around, and apparently Nazo, is one of best Sonics.. so I feel better, but I STILL wanna see if I can get a good enough grasp on that matchup..
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/515518558?t=11m30s
Here's the format for adding twitch timestamps.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I'll go to the lab today and see what I can come up with against Sonic. I think Dthrow Fair/Nair could work for starts, depending on how they DI. BThrow(Lcancel)-> Ftilt works pretty well in most scenarios. But those aren't sonic exclusive. And egg roll is pretty good as well for most things. I've pulled off Eggroll -> Utilt/ftilt-> Utilt/Ftilt. It's pretty good, the egg roll. Sonic has no projectiles, so it could be hard for him to handle it.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I'll go to the lab today and see what I can come up with against Sonic. I think Dthrow Fair/Nair could work for starts, depending on how they DI. BThrow(Lcancel)-> Ftilt works pretty well in most scenarios. But those aren't sonic exclusive. And egg roll is pretty good as well for most things. I've pulled off Eggroll -> Utilt/ftilt-> Utilt/Ftilt. It's pretty good, the egg roll. Sonic has no projectiles, so it could be hard for him to handle it.
SonicSanic can travel the stage when he's in his "ball state", don't really know what to call it; Yoshi's egg roll beats it. If you see him approaching, you can easily just use that move and get a couple hits in.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
SonicSanic can travel the stage when he's in his "ball state", don't really know what to call it; Yoshi's egg roll beats it. If you see him approaching, you can easily just use that move and get a couple hits in.
Then that's an easy 20-68% right there. 68% if you can land a sweet spot dair out of the utilt from the egg roll.

And I approve of the Sanic use. :D

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Footstool>DJC Nair/Dair/Uair is so good

I don't know if this has been discussed but its worth taking a look at. Yoshi has a really good footstool game.You can footstool people out of their own shields and then get free combos/stocks with a DJC aerial. Its awkward timing at first because you have to know the footstool will hit first, but its worth it imo. I don't play yoshi but I was messing around with footstools (Diddy has free trips off of foot stools involving AGTs) and realized that some potential was there for yoshi's shield pressure game.

Footstools are broken.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Hey do you guys remember the ELFS(Egg Lay Footstool)? That's still present, though the spot you have to do it has changed.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I actually had that happen to me a couple times in friendlies I played months ago. Kinda cool they didn't change the tip of yoshi's tongue, but his length only.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
In brawl Yoshi's tongue has a needle like tip. You can sometimes not swallow the enemy when using Neutral B. So it sometimes gives you a chance to get a free move off when they're stuck for a couple frames.

Easiest character to get the ELFS on is wolf.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Footstool is a brawl mechanic. It's where you can jump on an opponent's head and cause them to stumble (not techable). It's very effective depending on the character. I expect that Yoshi has some disastrous combos with footstool included because of DJC.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Footstool? Really? I'll have to try it. I never really considered it.

Btw V3ctorman, default footstool is side taunt above/on top of your opponent.

I may change it to l button though. I never use that button.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'd have to contemplate what button I'd change. I already claw and use every button when playing Yoshi. I think my only true options for it being on a button would possibly be X. >_<

Scatz

Smash Champion
So, found out that AmSa plays Lucario in PM. Even though his Lucario is a beast, I hope to see what he does with Yoshi.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, he Lucarios. Ah well.

Goin to the lab with Sanic for V3cotrman, and with that footstool thing you guys talked about. What can I do with that?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Ok, so it looks like i'm "officially" playing this game now.. got a copy of p.m.

Got my box of motivation.

and yeah haha :)

so I think we need to start a topic, discussion of ideas/thoughts we all have relating to this character.. whether it's MU's or struggles... even learning curves. Whatever is clever, I'm 100% on board. :)

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so it looks like i'm "officially" playing this game now.. got a copy of p.m.

Got my box of motivation.

and yeah haha :)

so I think we need to start a topic, discussion of ideas/thoughts we all have relating to this character.. whether it's MU's or struggles... even learning curves. Whatever is clever, I'm 100% on board. :)
Vman I thought you was playing Project M already? or was you just trying it out.

Anyways i've been playing as yoshi from the start and i actually have some matches that i can share as well. Also Are you going to CEO. I play melee Yoshi as well and would love some tips from you.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Nah i've only played P.M a total of 3-4 times... (Still now it's only 3 times, but now I'm actually gonna try to play it and go out of my way etc)

Once, or twice with Calabrel, uhh months ago, when Yoshi became available
My 3rd time at Apex 2014
my 4th was at an AZ tourney.

But im gonna actually try and play it now :)

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Nah i've only played P.M a total of 3-4 times... (Still now it's only 3 times, but now I'm actually gonna try to play it and go out of my way etc)

My 3rd time at Apex 2014

Awesome! Speaking of your earlier posts... I went to the lab with Sanic for ya! :bee: Here's what I've got for ya:

Momentum is key in this MU. If Sanic get's the momentum he can combo you for days. However, if you get it first, you can combo him for just as long. And what's more, your moves do more damage, so your combos do more then Sanics combos of similar length. So you can get him to kill percents faster.

Horizontal kills are best from what I've seen. Down Smash and Forward Smash work great, so does nair to get him away. Fair can be used if you can read how he's gonna recover. Thankfully, Sanic seems pretty easy to do that with.

Bair is a good friend in this MU. It out-ranges Sanic 99% of the time. Heck, many of Yoshi's moves out reach Sanic. Bair can be used to combo into ground tilts, my favorites are f-tilt and u-tilt. Also, eggroll is good here. Eggroll->utilt-> whatever is a good one, on the level 9 CP's I fought to get this info, I could get 2-5 utilts off of the Sanic if they di wrong.

Mix up your recovery. Rising aerial fair works good for getting high, then come back down barraging them with well placed eggs could help ya out.

Let me know if I missed anything. Hope that helps! :)

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice

My 3rd time at Apex 2014

Glad you are joining the dark side as well vman. I'm still a little salty we couldn't run more diddy kong vs yoshi in tuscon.

Means AZ will continue to be stacked. Has some really good players for, pikachu, mk, d3, lucas, olimar, sonic, diddy kong, peach, zss and now yoshi that will actually sit down and play the game... jeezus. Let's not forget some really good falcons in tuscon.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Glad you are joining the dark side as well vman. I'm still a little salty we couldn't run more diddy kong vs yoshi in tuscon.

Means AZ will continue to be stacked. Has some really good players for, pikachu, mk, d3, lucas, olimar, sonic, diddy kong, peach, zss and now yoshi that will actually sit down and play the game... jeezus. Let's not forget some really good falcons in tuscon.
Hehehe... I'm a SoCal Yoshi... Still glad to see you in P:M V3ctorman. :)

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
When do you guys use eggs and what moves do you use to ledge guard?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I shield right on the ledge so if they're using a recovery that goes above the ledge, (Marth's comes to mind) you can let it hit your shield and DJC Nair them, good players will probably be more careful about this of course. You can also throw eggs behind you on the ledge for edgeguarding.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I like to crouch and Dtilt. Especally against marth and Spacies. It has a set knockback and puts pretty much any opponant into a VERY bad position. I'll huck eggs at em to make their recovery a bit harder.

afistfulofwasabi

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I am an Olimar/Wolf main but ive recently tried out Yoshi for a couple of days in different MU's and I love this dinosaur. There's just something about PM yoshi that I find amazing.

:yoshi2:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, I am an Olimar/Wolf main but ive recently tried out Yoshi for a couple of days in different MU's and I love this dinosaur. There's just something about PM yoshi that I find amazing.

:yoshi2:
P:M Yoshi is severely under-rated, everyone should have a pocket Yoshi, he's just so fun

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
ALSO. I'm thinking there's more to the Eggroll then we know. I play against a good number of different smashers on a regular basis and one is a Shiek main. I've noticed that sometimes needles beat Eggroll, sometimes we clang, and sometimes my eggroll eats the needles. I was thinking it had to do with percentages, but I think it has to do with how FAST your eggroll is moving. I use eggroll a ton in my mind games, and I found that if you start eggroll high in the air, then you hold back, hitting forward on landing, you roll faster than sonic. I haven't tested this, but I think it may do increased damage and knockup depending on the speed. Someone check that for me, I'm almost certain that it's a mechanic.

Last edited:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
the egg roll has an increased, action of speed whenever you "reverse" it's momentum upon startup.

Example: Say you Egg roll to the left, the instant your egg lands and hits the ground, change directions and go right. You will see a rather increased speed on the egg as well. The BEAUTIFUL thing about this option is that it covers 3 of the 4 options an opponent can do "assuming" you force a tech, and assuming your opponent doesn't CC upon get up.. This can further lead your combo games.. If you look at some of my archives or some of my matches that are up on youtube vs calabrel, you'll see this. :) BEAUTIFUL for mindgames as well. :)

Of course it does sadly have it's faults also, I will explain these in detail also when I have more time.. off to my 2nd job. :(

If not i'll just post some examples, when I stream again. :)

People will soon realize, and believe me when I've been saying all along, P.M. yoshi is really good. :)

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
the egg roll has an increased, action of speed whenever you "reverse" it's momentum upon startup.

Example: Say you Egg roll to the left, the instant your egg lands and hits the ground, change directions and go right. You will see a rather increased speed on the egg as well. The BEAUTIFUL thing about this option is that it covers 3 of the 4 options an opponent can do "assuming" you force a tech, and assuming your opponent doesn't CC upon get up.. This can further lead your combo games.. If you look at some of my archives or some of my matches that are up on youtube vs calabrel, you'll see this. :) BEAUTIFUL for mindgames as well. :)

Of course it does sadly have it's faults also, I will explain these in detail also when I have more time.. off to my 2nd job. :(

People will soon realize, and believe me when I've been saying all along, P.M. yoshi is really good. :)
I just do the faster thing by reflex. I didn't notice it before though. :p

Egg rolls weakness is that it's pretty easy to beat by projectiles or higher priority moves. Also, if you use it and don't touch the ground before you are hit, there goes your second jump.

Sorry if I rained on your parade by stating those @ V3ctorMan V3ctorMan . Thought I'd help ya out.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace

Yeah, I've noticed that it covers a ton of options. If you time it right, you can hop over Shiek's dash attack and her running grab. Then you just reverse momentum for a free knockup and punish. Even though there's a decent risk to using it, it does (like you said) cover so many options. I'll stand by what I said in another thread, Eggroll is by far, the most useful move in Yoshi's kit. Yoshi is underrated as hell. He does not belong in lower mid tier, at the very least, he's upper mid/high

Top Bottom