• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

Novo

Smash Rookie
Hi fellas, it's been several months since I've stopped playing and recently I decided to get back into it. I've decided to make Yoshi my main, I'll start to contribute when I really get the hang on this goofy thing.

JOE!

Smash Hero
..could you throw an egg directly above yourself in melee? I know he could in brawl, but it seems to be missing now (again).

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Yep, but it's not easy (at least I find it tough). You have to hold up and juuuuust a little bit behind you. Holding straight up throws the egg at an arc.

Last edited:

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Hello Yoshi I boards, I am a Pit/ Zelda player who plays against a good (by my standards) Yoshi main. I am winning mostly, but I'm having trouble with his side-b. I know I sound like a moron, but I can't seem to be able to deal with it as pit. As Zelda I can just use naryu's to beat the move, but I have been shifting off of Zelda because of the rumored, incoming super-nerf. But how do I deal with the move that I have dubbed "the skill vacuum" (egg roll) as Pit?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
it's better that you can throw an egg behind you, especially when it doesn't break till it hits something. Literally a wall of eggs to keep you safe.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Hello Yoshi I boards, I am a Pit/ Zelda player who plays against a good (by my standards) Yoshi main. I am winning mostly, but I'm having trouble with his side-b. I know I sound like a moron, but I can't seem to be able to deal with it as pit. As Zelda I can just use naryu's to beat the move, but I have been shifting off of Zelda because of the rumored, incoming super-nerf. But how do I deal with the move that I have dubbed "the skill vacuum" (egg roll) as Pit?
Skill Vacuum? It's a fast hitting move that improves Yoshi's combo game. It's viable and good. Not a "Skill Vacuum".

Nail Yoshi that's egg rolling with an arrow. That should cancel Yoshi out of the egg roll.@ Kaysick Kaysick what do you think on the matter? The kid needs some viable counters, and that's all I've got on the matter.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Skill Vacuum? It's a fast hitting move that improves Yoshi's combo game. It's viable and good. Not a "Skill Vacuum".

Nail Yoshi that's egg rolling with an arrow. That should cancel Yoshi out of the egg roll.@ Kaysick Kaysick what do you think on the matter? The kid needs some viable counters, and that's all I've got on the matter.
Any move you use against Yoshi's side B will either hit him and break him out or clang, even if he rolls far enough that his egg starts shining. Easiest thing is just to use an arrow, really.

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Any move you use against Yoshi's side B will either hit him and break him out or clang, even if he rolls far enough that his egg starts shining. Easiest thing is just to use an arrow, really.
Thanks for the help!

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
How weak yoshi's side b is kind of irritates me. Just about anything beats it out.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
How weak yoshi's side b is kind of irritates me. Just about anything beats it out.
To be fair, its a crazy good combo starter. I completely accept how weak it is because if it had any kind of armor, it would be his best approach option like Kirby's dash attack. We're lucky they got rid of the animation of him popping out of his Side B.

Last edited:

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, its a crazy good combo starter. I completely accept how weak it is because if it had any kind of armor, it would be his best approach option like Kirby's dash attack. We're lucky they got rid of the animation of him popping out of his Side B.
I don't know, I wouldn't call it a combo starter from my recent experiences. I'd say it's more of a combo extender once you have the upper hand for tech chasing at times before they fully recover. Allows me to push that combo for a couple more hits than I normally would have.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, I wouldn't call it a combo starter from my recent experiences. I'd say it's more of a combo extender once you have the upper hand for tech chasing at times before they fully recover. Allows me to push that combo for a couple more hits than I normally would have.
SideB is amazing at tech chasing. If you actually hit them with your Side B you can pop out, easily do 1-3 u tilts depending on %, and continue with your combo since you already started it with his rolling egg. You might not just be applying it at the right times, except the safest and probably best option, which is tech chasing.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I've tried quite a few ways already, just the guys I play against know they can trade or beat it out. I only ever use it now during a tech chase or when I'm trying to move faster than running on the ground to extend a combo.

I just feel like it's really not that great outside of those instances. I definitely don't use it to start a combo. At least not hitting them with the egg roll itself. I've used it to trick people and bait a punish but that's about it.

pwnyclaus

Smash Ace
NNID
JackSand54
is dthrow -> upsmash a viable option at low percents, or is it always better to follow up with an aerial?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
It usually better to use an aerial. Anytime a usmash would be optimal (kill%), they're well out of range to be hit by it. I guess usmash does have a decent amount of range though, so at really low %s, it might cover a lot of things. I dunno, you'd just have to try it. I can see it being usable, but never very optimal, since it'd be harder to follow up after a usmash.

Last edited:

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
is dthrow -> upsmash a viable option at low percents, or is it always better to follow up with an aerial?
A couple u-air juggles ending in a Nair (if near the edge) or fair (if not near the edge, forcing a tech chase situation) is a better option I believe.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
A couple u-air juggles ending in a Nair (if near the edge) or fair (if not near the edge, forcing a tech chase situation) is a better option I believe.
The amount of combos I get with this is amazing. Gotten tons of kills by dthrow>Fair>Fsmash

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
The amount of combos I get with this is amazing. Gotten tons of kills by dthrow>Fair>Fsmash
The Uairs? I've gotten some nice juggling using Uairs. I've also found that dthrow i hard to follow up with anything but eggs or a nair if they jump out of it. What about that? Anticipate and Double jump (With a cancel, cuz yoshi's jump is much larger then theirs probably is) after them?

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
The Uairs? I've gotten some nice juggling using Uairs. I've also found that dthrow i hard to follow up with anything but eggs or a nair if they jump out of it. What about that? Anticipate and Double jump (With a cancel, cuz yoshi's jump is much larger then theirs probably is) after them?
There are times when the game basically says "nope" and it doesn't acknowledge my jump so I just do a dash attack or basically nothing. Just have to try and get the timing down.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
There are times when the game basically says "nope" and it doesn't acknowledge my jump so I just do a dash attack or basically nothing. Just have to try and get the timing down.
I know them feels. Do you mean timing for dthrow -> uair? Yeah, I'll work on that. :) Thanks for the tips.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I know them feels. Do you mean timing for dthrow -> uair? Yeah, I'll work on that. :) Thanks for the tips.
Just in general really. I'll try to do Dthrow>Fair and it'll sometimes do Dthrow>dash attack. The timing can be odd and not work with you, but other times it'll work flawlessly.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Just in general really. I'll try to do Dthrow>Fair and it'll sometimes do Dthrow>dash attack. The timing can be odd and not work with you, but other times it'll work flawlessly.
I get that. Are any of his other throws any good? I've experimented with some of the other throws and they just seem to me to be mix'er up'ers.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I get that. Are any of his other throws any good? I've experimented with some of the other throws and they just seem to me to be mix'er up'ers.
I personally only think Dthrow is good. I have gotten a kill before by doing Uthrow>Hair but that was once.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I got a kill by doing fthrow once. I caught him near the edge, and since he completely expected me to dthrow him ala usual, his DI was all kinds of bad, and he was in a pretty terrible position, which resulted in an easy fair.

Other than that, uthrow is pretty good on fast fallers at low %, since it's hard to get 'em up there with a dthrow at that point.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Hello~

Curious. Does anyone have any really good vs spacies technology? I remember when yoshi was first released, that he could chaingrab them with repeated pivot grab down throws, but i'm fairly certain that's not true.

Although, i'd like for something like that to exist. So yea. Anything broken we got against the space animals?

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
It looks like I have alot to catch up on.. I'll do my best ^^
There's quite a bit we've been discussing. :) You'll catch up quite fine. You got this.

BTW I heard you AZ guys did well at the SoCal tournament Mayhem last Saturday. Us down in SoCal were impressed (though I wasn't at the tourneys) Congrats! :)

Hello~

Curious. Does anyone have any really good vs spacies technology? I remember when yoshi was first released, that he could chaingrab them with repeated pivot grab down throws, but i'm fairly certain that's not true.

Although, i'd like for something like that to exist. So yea. Anything broken we got against the space animals?
I personally like dair -> FSmash as a finisher. If you can manage the sweet spot, it's around 48% and it combos into FSmash most of the time. Perhaps it's DI dependent, audino for sure. Someone check me. It worked for me. :p

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Alright, gonna have to see if you can still do it in pm later
Was messing with yoshi's egg toss, straight up is indeed possible, needs a lot of precision though, I'd say about 10 to 20 degrees behind Yoshi on the control stick.

edit: lol, just realized I mentioned precision and then gave a 10 degree range, sorry, I'm just not 100 percent sure

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Was messing with yoshi's egg toss, straight up is indeed possible, needs a lot of precision though, I'd say about 10 to 20 degrees behind Yoshi on the control stick.

edit: lol, just realized I mentioned precision and then gave a 10 degree range, sorry, I'm just not 100 percent sure
The angle is very precise. In TAS I got an angle of 16.12 to 16.53 degrees using two points. The range is larger but anywhere in or close to that range is what you want for a near perfectly vertical toss. I'll find a more general range maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom