• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Technically it's not actually Yoshi's shield that you hit (that would be a powershield). Yoshi couldn't jump out of a powershield, but could jump out of a parry as long as you jumped within the first two frames of your shielding animation.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So yeah, got to test 3.0 with resident yoshi main, yosiiscool. Its crazy seeing high end yoshi tech again, and I found his side b particularly interesting. I'm calling it now though, if he keeps jump Oos with his current shield stats, he will have the best shield in the game hands down. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but I'm sure no one cares lol.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
if he keeps jump Oos with his current shield stats, he will have the best shield in the game hands down.
well he's got normal shield stun now, but yeah it's still a no brainer that he's got the best shield, it's unpokeable + he still has the parry. It might even have a faster shield drop animation still too

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
since yoshi is finally coming out for 3.0 I can ask a question i wanted to ask for years. Does yoshi have a true up+B recovery jump or does he have a second chance for the hover jump under certain conditions?

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Not that I'm aware of, no. He can get good horizontal momentum from spamming his (less laggy) side-B, but doing so consumes his jump if he hasn't used it, IIRC.

(I am not PMBR. Everything is subject to change. Glory to Arstotzka.)

WyzDM

Smash Cadet
I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this comment... but I'm gonna say it.

I'm sure many of you are excited that Yoshi can now jump out of shield... but I feel like that's taking the easy way out to redesigning the character and helping it well... not suck as much. I love to play Yoshi in melee, and while that's a severe limitation and why he has so many problems in competitive play, being the only character to have that egg shield made him really unique. You have to play him unlike any other character in the roster. Now it just looks like he'll be another Ness imo. I would rather see some other twist or creative approach to his offensive game then simply remove what had nerfed him in his defensive game. I understand not being able to jump out of shield is a BIG problem, but I would have looked to changing that as a last resort to the character. While I can't exactly put my finger on what else could be done, does that really mean there isn't anything else that's been thought of?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
give his shield ending animation a hitbox, like he's bursting out of the egg and hitting people with the shrapnel
*boom* problem solved
it even fits in with his whole "unique" shield scheme

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if he'll be able to jump out of a grounded Down+B like Bowser, I can probably assume no with DJC being a thing and pretty good, but who knows. Can't wait to play him though, always liked the character even though he's just been "meh" in every incarnation.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I wonder if he'll be able to jump out of a grounded Down+B like Bowser, I can probably assume no with DJC being a thing and pretty good, but who knows. Can't wait to play him though, always liked the character even though he's just been "meh" in every incarnation.

Nah, I don't think he can. But at least he still has the initial 'rising' hit.

WyzDM

Smash Cadet

Doubt it, following it with a nair would be way too free.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
So I really want to play Yoshi in PM. He's always been my favorite character in Mario Kart, Party, what have you and I love Island and Story more than anything. I have no clue what most of his AT's are though. Will someone post one for him for PM when 3.0 is released?

tackles

Smash Rookie
Why not make Yoshi jump out of his side-B? Like with Squirtle, you can press A while sliding and jump out of his side-B and that can be used as a recovery tool, or just press jump when sliding in his shell. Couldn't Yoshi do the same while rolling in his egg?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure if it was a copy-paste of Melee Yoshi, but could jump OOS, he would be a major threat in this game/Top Tier Melee-style.
Now though, I'm stoked on other buffs. This character is silly-good.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Why not make Yoshi jump out of his side-B? Like with Squirtle, you can press A while sliding and jump out of his side-B and that can be used as a recovery tool, or just press jump when sliding in his shell. Couldn't Yoshi do the same while rolling in his egg?
his sideb already does shenanigans that help with recovery. Yoshi looks like he's in good shape.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yeah with a more than broken shield lol.
Dude,I understand your other post and your opinion,but don't you think Yoshi deserves a revenge after all what he suffered in all the 3 smash brothers?

WyzDM

Smash Cadet
Dude,I understand your other post and your opinion,but don't you think Yoshi deserves a revenge after all what he suffered in all the 3 smash brothers?
Of course he needed a revamp. But that implies something that makes him what his character is and revolves around. He never had OOS game. All the other characters go great work done on them, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful for Yoshi but I would have looked for something different before just giving him normal oos game like another djc character.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
First impressions of 3.0 Yoshi:

1. EGGS! They go so far!
2. I will have to get used to the new (64) Utilt, but I really like it so far. It's very useful out of Down throw or Bair at low %s.
3. Rising DJCs are fun, and it will be interesting to learn how to use them properly.
4. Nair seems extremely useful, and DJCs out of Shield are a real game-changer!
5. No slippery light shield, oh well. I'll miss it!

Contrary to every other character I've played, Yoshi's tech skill seems to be a little bit tougher in P:M than Melee. The timing seems more specific for things like fast DJCs, Wavelands and Double Jump Lands, but I think once I get used to it, it will be all right. Playing P:M Yoshi might even help my tech skill in Melee.

Thank you, PMBR!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It's going to be hard to perform run-off spikes now unfortunately, DJC Nair edgeguarding ought to work fine though. :)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Fun Fact: Yoshi's DJ armor threshold is a touch stronger than it was in Melee and Brawl. This doesn't mean you can be reckless with it however.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Guys, Yoshi is back.

HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!! and he's goooooooooood
:yoshi:

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is his Ftilt. I wish it was 64 Ftilt. That's literally the only thing, so I think he's in pretty amazing shape! I think the Ftilt is probably something I can live with.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
In addition, he regains his ability to parry - an advanced technique where he can block a move during his shield’s start up and jump out of it instantly. (Taken from project M's website)

but the question is i've tried to parry like melee & 64 but it's not coming out when i was testing it. Can anyone confirm this?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You cannot B reverse his Up B for the sake of aim; it was super disorienting and difficult to be precise with Brawl's B reversal Egg Toss.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I don't think B-reversed Eggs are necessary, since you can turn around with your double jump and even grab the edge from behind after throwing an egg.

Also, I had to get used to Yoshi's new Ftilt too, but it is really good!

As for the parrying, I can confirm that it works.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
In addition, he regains his ability to parry - an advanced technique where he can block a move during his shield’s start up and jump out of it instantly. (Taken from project M's website)

but the question is i've tried to parry like melee & 64 but it's not coming out when i was testing it. Can anyone confirm this?
I tried practicing parrying using bobombs in training mode and letting them go off and walk up to me, works well.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
maybe it's a specific way diff then melee/64...i'll have to keep at it. just like the djc timing is slightly different XD

Sashimi

Smash Ace
maybe it's a specific way diff then melee/64...i'll have to keep at it. just like the djc timing is slightly different XD

I don't think the DJC timing is different (feels the same to me). Just have to make sure not to hold jump unless you intend to rise.

Hughie

Smash Lad
DJC feels different probably cause it looks different. On the other hand, egg roll is a great approach! It's fast, has a hitbox throughout and when exiting the egg. It's awesome.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I don't think B-reversed Eggs are necessary, since you can turn around with your double jump and even grab the edge from behind after throwing an egg.

Also, I had to get used to Yoshi's new Ftilt too, but it is really good!

As for the parrying, I can confirm that it works.
Yea, after playing all day yesterday with my buds, i got used to the new ftilt, and it's actually pretty sweet! Oh man, Yoshi is awesome. All the love for Yoshi. All of it.

MVP

Smash Ace
what inputs do you guys use to make yoshi Egg throw cancel on the ledge so fast? (hope this make sense). do you c-stick backwards then jump then up-b? i can't get yoshi to cancel so fast like is see others

Sashimi

Smash Ace
what inputs do you guys use to make yoshi Egg throw cancel on the ledge so fast? (hope this make sense). do you c-stick backwards then jump then up-b? i can't get yoshi to cancel so fast like is see others

Let go of the ledge (back, not down), double jump, wait the right amount of time, Egg. Just takes some getting used to.

Top Bottom