• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
i was referring to releasing your shield. I'm not sure what to properly call that.
But dropping through platforms while your shield is up is often called the same thing; it's done by tilting the stick down at the right angle while on a platform with your shield up.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Sv3XgYX1A#t=1m23s

can someone explain what happens at 1:23? sweet clearly shields my bair but it goes through and hits him anyways

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this comment... but I'm gonna say it.

I'm sure many of you are excited that Yoshi can now jump out of shield... but I feel like that's taking the easy way out to redesigning the character and helping it well... not suck as much. I love to play Yoshi in melee, and while that's a severe limitation and why he has so many problems in competitive play, being the only character to have that egg shield made him really unique. You have to play him unlike any other character in the roster. Now it just looks like he'll be another Ness imo. I would rather see some other twist or creative approach to his offensive game then simply remove what had nerfed him in his defensive game. I understand not being able to jump out of shield is a BIG problem, but I would have looked to changing that as a last resort to the character. While I can't exactly put my finger on what else could be done, does that really mean there isn't anything else that's been thought of?
i thought this too

at the same time, disabling jump oos isnt exactly a limitation that makes him more fun to play, and i think making all the characters have a more inviting playstyle is pretty cool. but at the same time its cool to design yoshi around the no jump oos limitation. so idk what to think

perhaps there can be another limitation for him in shield. although i really like where he is at this point

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Hello fellow Yoshi players.. Would anyone like me to link/upload what I have found for yoshi? or matches just to learn off of?... Finally played P.M. Yoshi, I must say, I'm very pleased!! ^^ i just wanna make sure, is this the correct thread to post videos? links? guides? etc.... I actually can't see because i'm viewing the thread on a phone (and it looks weird) so I don't know what the thread title is, I jus know it says P.M. at the top... If this is correct.. I'll post away, if not, then please show me where I do post.. thanks fellow yoshis <3​

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Yoshi players.. Would anyone like me to link/upload what I have found for yoshi? or matches just to learn off of?... Finally played P.M. Yoshi, I must say, I'm very pleased!! ^^ i just wanna make sure, is this the correct thread to post videos? links? guides? etc.... I actually can't see because i'm viewing the thread on a phone (and it looks weird) so I don't know what the thread title is, I jus know it says P.M. at the top... If this is correct.. I'll post away, if not, then please show me where I do post.. thanks fellow yoshis <3​
There currently is not a PM Yoshi video/guide thread. Why not create one?

Your Yoshi is the real sh*t, btw. I'm a Yoshi newb, but most of what I've learned of the character has been from watching your Eggstinction combo videos. I would definitely be interested in seeing your insights of PM Yoshi.

EDIT: just realized that there is in fact a video thread and that you've already posted on it.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
There currently is not a PM Yoshi video/guide thread. Why not create one?

Your Yoshi is the real sh*t, btw. I'm a Yoshi newb, but most of what I've learned of the character has been from watching your Eggstinction combo videos. I would definitely be interested in seeing your insights of PM Yoshi.

EDIT: just realized that there is in fact a video thread and that you've already posted on it.

I would LOVE a yoshi tip/ guide thread.

I also, admire your work. I also learned a lot of what I know about yoshi from you and aMsA. Look forward to see what you do next. And great job at Southwestern justice vs. Mizuki!

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I would LOVE a yoshi tip/ guide thread.

I also, admire your work. I also learned a lot of what I know about yoshi from you and aMsA. Look forward to see what you do next. And great job at Southwestern justice vs. Mizuki!
I wouldn't mind helping with that tip guide either. I've been really trying to learn Yoshi's games and matchups. through friends and priorities...no one really replyed back to my matches that i shared but i could be of some help to Since Yoshi does play with some 64 Benefits.

Vman owns melee...idk if he plays brawl or even 64
I am pretty good with 64/Brawl

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'd be happy to help with the guide in any way possible. I'm not too well versed on Melee or 64 Yoshi but Brawl knowledge and just playing around with PM Yoshi ought to help somewhat in that regard hopefully. Otherwise, Vman you're our man :p

I really need to pick up Melee properly instead of playing it like, only once every month >_>

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Since I've been playing P:M lately cause brawl kinda ded for SA/TX until February I believe cause xyro helping a PSA TO out, might as well post in here.
Egg toss was definitely faster in brawl, but to compensate for the speed loss it's either 64 or melee's eggs where they can not only go behind us but also don't break till they hit the ground or someone so it's a good zone tool against people offstage or even using it one or two times before landing or grabbing the ledge if you're offstage.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Eggs are Melee trajectory/frame data, but they don't automatically break after a certain distance, which gives them an indirect distance buff from Melee.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Doesn't seem possible to ETS anymore. :c I have to admit, I actually prefer Brawl's egg toss-even despite it's 'egg-routes'. They're better than ever for edgeguarding now though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Doesn't seem possible to ETS anymore. :c I have to admit, I actually prefer Brawl's egg toss-even despite it's 'egg-routes'. They're better than ever for edgeguarding now though.
Dunno about ETS on stage like we could freely in brawl, but it seems we can still use it to edgeguard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O96jEcVOs9M#t=1m29s

Just confirming that it was Melee's speed/trajectory rather than 64's.
Trajectory is from 64 with being able to go behind Yoshi, speed is from melee along with eggs not breaking till it comes into contact with something.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Trajectory is from 64 with being able to go behind Yoshi, speed is from melee along with eggs not breaking till it comes into contact with something.
I don't mean to argue with you, but that's not entirely true. Melee eggs could be thrown behind Yoshi (same trajectory as they can in PM), and they did break after a certain distance.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Seems like they do break, but with the amount of time it takes before they break they might as well not be considered breaking since they don't until they're literally offscreen if throwing it from not holding B long enough or holding it for it to go further.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Now that it's been almost a month,

Anyone have any particular matchups that might be tough for Yoshi? I haven't played many people yet, but all the matchups I've played with good players feel like they're at least even (or better) for PM Yoshi.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I feel like yoshi has a bad matchup against Zelda, but I need confirmation. Otherwise, I second PerhapsMan's request.

Quaz

Smash Master
So yoshi is really cool and stuff.

I haven't done much reading so sorry if this has been discussed already, but why is Yoshi's dair so broken now? I wonder if it's possible to tech out of it. It builds damage AND leads to easy kills otherwise.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It pops them up in the air, so they can tech if we allow them to bounce against the ground (which we shouldn't), but that only happens around low percents. When high they'll of course be going higher but then again why use that move when they're past 100%?

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, D Air is a great move for Yoshi combos. And can lead to kills. What's not to love? Oh, unless you're on the recipient end. That could be a problem.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Dair is really juicy, when you can land it. Unfortunately, I find it a lot harder to land than his other aerials. Maybe that's just cuz nair is so great, and easy to use.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Yeah, it's tough to land. You can't really just USE IT, you kinda have to predict something ahead of time to use it. It's great on stages with platforms, though.

Could someone explain the 'final' hitbox to me though? Is it just a hitbox when you land at any point during the Dair, or is it actually just the last hit that pops them up?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I've played a fair share of matches... at the moment, I haven't experienced a peticular matchup that I truly dislike atm... Hopefully if i get a chance to play p.m. at apex (I didn't sign up in time, but maybe someone will drop a spot, or i'll get some seriouslies in or something) for real, p.m. yoshi is pretty good.. like REALLY good.. you guys are lucky.. :)

I'd love for this yoshi to be in melee... :)

makes me wanna play p.m... but sigh... oh those melee goals..

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely not the best at Yoshi, but I'm picking him up as my main. So far, I have trouble with Link and Wolf mainly. Really love playing as him. Choosing him over Squirtle and Mario.

Rocked my Yoshi T-shirt at an event today and played as yellow for the plushie I have that sits on my computer desk.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I've played a fair share of matches... at the moment, I haven't experienced a peticular matchup that I truly dislike atm... Hopefully if i get a chance to play p.m. at apex (I didn't sign up in time, but maybe someone will drop a spot, or i'll get some seriouslies in or something) for real, p.m. yoshi is pretty good.. like REALLY good.. you guys are lucky.. :)

I'd love for this yoshi to be in melee... :)
I know them feels. Ah well. :) Hope to see you on the Live Stream of Apex!

I'm still vouching that Yoshi has a bad matchup against Zelda... But if ya'll disagree I'm just bad at fighting zelda as yoshi lol. Other matchups... I don't know.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I know them feels. Ah well. :) Hope to see you on the Live Stream of Apex!

I'm still vouching that Yoshi has a bad matchup against Zelda... But if ya'll disagree I'm just bad at fighting zelda as yoshi lol. Other matchups... I don't know.
If you check out the stream that I posted on the video thread for Yoshi, I had to face a Zelda and I had a little trouble with her.

Invader_Zirk

Smash Rookie
I've played a fair share of matches... at the moment, I haven't experienced a peticular matchup that I truly dislike atm...
Have you fought a good Kirby yet? I think Kirby's one of Yoshi's harder matchups. He's too floaty to combo traditionally, and his aerial power makes him a threat off of the stage. Also, that dash attack.

I struggle with Kirby, but I feel like Yoshi's one of those characters who can devour spacies in P:M. I have zero-deathed a Wolf player already.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I dunno if it's an issue with my playstyle, but I do a lot of dash dancing and grabbing. Against Kirby, I struggle getting grabs, because grabbing him out of the air is rough. And once my buddy realized he could duck under my grabs, it became hell. A lot of Kirby's moves also feel like they reach way further than it looks like they should, which gives me trouble getting in with nairs/bairs, because I get outspaced in a lot of situations where I really don't think I should.

It should be noted, however, that once you get Kirby in the air above you, it's not all that hard to keep him up there. It's harder for Yoshi to get in than it is for Kirby, but you should be doing more damage once you get a juggle going.

Last edited:

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
what if yoshi could use up-b to throw someone after he grabs them with b

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yoshi needs a faster starting taunt sound so he can style on people with taunt cancels :]

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
The "hap" sound from his jump should be added to the beginning of his up taunt. Not only would that allow for taunt cancelling, it would also make it better when used normally.

Top Bottom