• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089

Every character needs one of these right?

Well feel free to speculate on what else has changed about Yoshi here.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
I hope Yoshi is more like his Smash 64 counterpart then melee or brawls, but I doubt it.

In that game he was a beast though. It would be nice if they at least buffed the explosions on his eggs to levels they were in that game. In melee and brawl the range and power was way less then in 64 and I wasn't a fan.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
That whole time when I saw him in the trailer... "Denver! The Last Dinosaur!" xD I can't wait to have Yoshi back in my life!... Until my Mario sacrifices him off cliffs. lol

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I was quite disappointed to see that Up B remains. I love the Egg toss and all but I would much rather see the Egg Roll get replaced by said Egg Toss then for Yoshi to get a new Up B in return.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Make that song a brstm man.
I was quite disappointed to see that Up B remains. I love the Egg toss and all but I would much rather see the Egg Roll get replaced by said Egg Toss then for Yoshi to get a new Up B in return.
I feelz. But then again, it is nice to play Yoshi for who he is.

I wonder if his down-b will be cancelable like Bowser's.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
yoshi egg throw in the yoshi games were badass linear death balls that moved roughly as quick as robs laser, and they bounced off walls three times before vanishing, getting stronger each time but in smash yoshi got party balloons to throw :( yoshi still has alot of potential for positive change but in the end they cant implement drastic change because it would disappoint yoshis melee mains, all two of them... bcuz melee

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
yoshi egg throw in the yoshi games were badass linear death balls that moved roughly as quick as robs laser, and they bounced off walls three times before vanishing, getting stronger each time but in smash yoshi got party balloons to throw :( yoshi still has alot of potential for positive change but in the end they cant implement drastic change because it would disappoint yoshis melee mains, all two of them... bcuz melee
Dude, Yoshi's egg throw is the best and most aimable projectle in smash 64 (at least IMO), With Yoshi in melee I can hit you anywhere as long as you are about half the distance of final away from me.

In 64 it's much the same except more stiff, however the explosions in that game are massive and do decent damage and knock back and are the perfect edge gaurding tool. That's why they should have the hit boxes and damage from 64 with the control of melee (Maybe the control of brawl, but I don't remember how they were in brawl)

Kati

Smash Lord
lol not changing them to resemble canon bcuz melee is hardly the reason.

Single player mechanics are entirely different from pvp multiplayer. In single player game, it is always one character versus thousands. Enemy's projectiles are always dodgeable, but the player's are always instant.

Samus' beams and missiles would be so broken if they resembled anything close canon. Really, any projectile character in smash never has to windup before shooting in their respective game, or worry about the enemy dodging it (usually at least).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Still waiting for those Black/White Yoshi colors. I'm hoping, REALLY hoping they're there. Although having to add them myself wouldn't be awful, but still...

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I want a remade Up-B so it works like it does in the Yoshi Island games. You can charge and aim it and it bounces off walls and ground!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
PM Yoshi change list so far:
*Double jump cancelling
*Dthrow combos into stuff
*64 Utilt
*Melee Nair
*Egg rolls speed increased, can break out of it quickly
*Can jump out of shield

When they release the next PM update I plan to make a thread that goes indepth for his new ATs and their uses.

Also, that muuusiic <3

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
I've always been disappointed by Yoshi's recovery, so I wish they would have done this:
Repurpose the back-throw to work like the current Nuetral B
Change the egg toss to Neutral B
Change the current Double jump to the Up B, add hitboxes to Yoshi's feet, make it cancelable into aerials, and don't add a special fall state at the end (simmilar to Mewtwo).
Change the double jump to a standard double jump
It may seem silly at first, but it solves the issue of Yoshi being gimped easily.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I really hope that up-d egg toss is like brawls. It felt really smooth in brawl and jump canceling them into a reverse was always nice for quick turn around pressure despite how mediocre he was as a character. I have really high hopes for him in 3.0, OoS alone makes me giddy.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
anyone thought that yoshi's neutral b would be a good recovery asset if you could use it similar to zss' laser whip Fwrd B?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I've always been disappointed by Yoshi's recovery, so I wish they would have done this:
Repurpose the back-throw to work like the current Nuetral B
Change the egg toss to Neutral B
Change the current Double jump to the Up B, add hitboxes to Yoshi's feet, make it cancelable into aerials, and don't add a special fall state at the end (simmilar to Mewtwo).
Change the double jump to a standard double jump
It may seem silly at first, but it solves the issue of Yoshi being gimped easily.
Changing around specials like that screws with muscle memory far too much and is a very big nono.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
PM Yoshi change list so far:

This is a rather tentative observation, but Fair looks like it comes out faster than Melee/Brawl.

Hmm... I really feel like playing every Yoshi game right about now. I guess it's marathon time. Classwork is stupid anyway.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Honestly, Yoshi's recovery is fine.

I'm looking forward to the return of edge-cancelled eggs and jumping out of shield (although I'll miss parrying). Also, Yoshi's Nair looks so good!

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
actually not... really, no. arguably, his basically nonexistent recovery mixed in with not being able to jump OoS was sort of the dealbreaker for him in melee, because you hit yoshi out once after he uses that jump, he's boned

like if you watch aMSa play, he'll spend like 30 seconds doing crazy techskill, and then he gets hit offstage once after his double jump and he's dead right then and there

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi's recovery in brawl is pretty good,it does sucks in both melee and smash 64 though.

Honestly,I think Yoshi would be already a badass character if they just combined his best things from each smash game to make a unique Yoshi.

Looks like he's going to be even better than that.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
From what I saw in the trailer, yoshi's second jump has more armor, plowing through Roy's nair.

B1ackJack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zakabajak94
3DS FC
4596-9584-8500
Noticed that they didn't use Yoshi's back air in his portion of the video. I wonder if it'll be like Melee's/Brawl's or if they'll change it to the 64 b-air. I would love to see that, and I think that they would since they already gave Yoshi the 64 up tilt and haven't been afraid to reimplement moves from 64 before (i.e. Pikachu's b-air).

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I'd expect that bair would be either Brawl's or Brawl's with the last hit popping the opponent upward like in Melee.

64's bair seems like it would be redundant if nair is as good as it should be. Then again, that's only if they keep it roughly the same and if I'm remembering its properties correctly.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
From what I saw in the trailer, yoshi's second jump has more armor, plowing through Roy's nair.
It shouldn't have more armor to my knowledge. What you're seeing is most likely his knockback being reduced after his armor was broken, it does that in melee.

The question I'm curious about is that since yoshi can jump Oos, have any other properties been changed about his shield?

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
^^ Really? It looked like it... I'm probably wrong.

I was fine with melee back air. I haven't seen 64's back air, or Brawls back air. If they're good I'll be fine with it.

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
[Yoshi's] basically nonexistent recovery ... was sort of the dealbreaker for him in melee, because you hit yoshi out once after he uses that jump, he's boned
This could all be solved if he could get his double jump back when hit. Honestly, not giving the double jump back to Yoshi is like giving Mario only his Double Jump and his cape to recover.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Why Melees? Can't think of anything it has over Brawls tbh.

I don't remember much about Brawl Bair (although it felt a little weird), but Melee's was definitely worth keeping, unless Brawl's is better. With Melee you can combo into Nair or Up-tilt depending on the character, and if they shield it you can land behind them to prevent shield-grabs.

The 64 one was cool too, but as people have said, it shouldn't be necessary the way Nair looks now.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Brawl bair is basically melee bair with better range but less combo possibilities.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Actually, they tweaked the Nair animation a bit so he sticks his foot further out like Melee, Brawls Nair his sole is more vertically aligned.

Top Bottom