• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Conduit (FC's First Page)

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
i wonder will it top any of 360's fps?
maybe gears of war 2.
Um, GoW1/GoW2 are shooters, but not FIRST person shooters. They are third person.

I doubt the Conduit can top Halo 3 (Which is MS' current exclusive FPS behemoth) in any of the gaming areas.[Story, gameplay, and graphics]

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Nah, I think it's just my fanboy alarm going off.

Let's face it, NP is just a bunch of fanboys looking to sell products. I stopped reading their reviews for anything more than entertainment value a while ago.

The fact that they advertised MP3 as their first perfect 10 rating was quite the obvious giveaway. First of all, that shouldn't have happened at all (it was a good game, I love it and Metroid in general, but it was far from perfect, especially compared to other titles like Melee). Second of all, they didn't always have a "1-10" rating system. When I first began subscribing, they gave a star rating from 1-5 from each of five reviewers.

I looked back and the original Prime got a perfect 5 from all of them, and I'd be willing to bet that other games got that too (I didn't start subscribing until shortly after Prime came out -- Metroid Fusion was on the cover of my first issue).
Hm, so much for their first perfect score.
Well, actually, if they felt Metroid Prime 3 was the best in the series (a common sentiment), then they would have to give it the highest score of any game in the series. Just a thought.

Um, GoW1/GoW2 are shooters, but not FIRST person shooters. They are third person.

I doubt the Conduit can top Halo 3 (Which is MS' current exclusive FPS behemoth) in any of the gaming areas.[Story, gameplay, and graphics]
Where did you get the list from?

Halo 3 - nice game, great multiplayer, lacking story, and somewhat average graphics IMO.

Story - I'm not sure how it fits into the series, but if Halo 3 was the first in a series of single players games, it would be widely criticized for it's story. The Conduit can probably beat it.

Graphics - Halo probably has better graphics, but not by much. It's a dated Xbox 360 game, but the graphics are still average. I would give the edge to Halo 3, but it's close.

Gameplay - Depends how you define gameplay. The Conduit will have the best controls of any console FPS to date, controls which are fully customizable. Halo has cool vehicles and melee weapons The Conduit lacks. It will probably be a tie.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I think it's just my fanboy alarm going off.

Let's face it, NP is just a bunch of fanboys looking to sell products. I stopped reading their reviews for anything more than entertainment value a while ago.

The fact that they advertised MP3 as their first perfect 10 rating was quite the obvious giveaway. First of all, that shouldn't have happened at all (it was a good game, I love it and Metroid in general, but it was far from perfect, especially compared to other titles like Melee). Second of all, they didn't always have a "1-10" rating system. When I first began subscribing, they gave a star rating from 1-5 from each of five reviewers.

I looked back and the original Prime got a perfect 5 from all of them, and I'd be willing to bet that other games got that too (I didn't start subscribing until shortly after Prime came out -- Metroid Fusion was on the cover of my first issue).
Hm, so much for their first perfect score.
I mean, I don't care if they give it a 4/10.
Just (LMAO) NOT the same as a next-gen sonic game.
No game should be called the same or less than a next-gen sonic game. (Not even Haze.)
Somewhere, a conduit fanboy killed himself. (LOL, I can see it now.)

BTW: How long does SEGA plan on milking Sonic?
It's sick.

@Comboking: So, I'm guessing you are getting the conduit.
Right?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Sonic is sega's Mascot, Sega will continue to use Sonic, despite the fact that he is outdated and on really sucky games. Right now Sonic's best hope is to wo what Sonic Unleashed nearly did and go back to it's roots (just the running). Or hand Sonic over to someone else (That's what Nintendo did with Metroid.)

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is sega's Mascot, Sega will continue to use Sonic, despite the fact that he is outdated and on really sucky games. Right now Sonic's best hope is to wo what Sonic Unleashed nearly did and go back to it's roots (just the running). Or hand Sonic over to someone else (That's what Nintendo did with Metroid.)
Today, if I wanna play a sonic game.
I'll play the old ones.

@comboking: I'm looking for people on the web who are getting this game. (So I can fight them)
That's why.

Thino

Smash Master
Ventrilo always did the work for me even with previous Wii games that didnt have Voice Chat (Brawl , MariokartWii , etc..)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Obviously graphics wise Halo 3 will win, but I really don't think it's that great a game. Now if we're talking original Halo or Bioshock...

That's stiff competition.
Yeah, The Conduit looks like it will be great, but considering what the Wii has become I can't imagine it being a mega hit.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Obviously graphics wise Halo 3 will win, but I really don't think it's that great a game. Now if we're talking original Halo or Bioshock...

That's stiff competition.
Yeah, The Conduit looks like it will be great, but considering what the Wii has become I can't imagine it being a mega hit.
I would agree, but as amazing as Bioshock is, it just wasn't fun (for me at least).

I also disagree about Halo 3 obviously having better graphics. I really can't tell the difference - sure The Conduit has a different graphical style, but I honestly cannot say with certainty that one game has better graphics than the other. At least, I can't say that about the single player campaign.

In fact, what impresses me the most about The Conduit is that the difference between it and Halo 3 from a technical standpoint is not at all obvious.

However, the original Halo is very stiff competition. It was the best shooter I've ever played, after all.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I would agree, but as amazing as Bioshock is, it just wasn't fun (for me at least).

I also disagree about Halo 3 obviously having better graphics. I really can't tell the difference - sure The Conduit has a different graphical style, but I honestly cannot say with certainty that one game has better graphics than the other. At least, I can't say that about the single player campaign.

However, the original Halo is very difficult competition. I give you that.
In fact, what impresses me the most about The Conduit is that the difference between it and Halo 3 from a technical standpoint is not at all obvious.
Halo 3 is 720p Native
Halo 3 has HDR
Halo 3 has 4xAA

To name but a few

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
By the way, what's HDR?
High Dynamic Range lighting.

An advanced lighting technique that allows for richer, more varied, and more realistic lighting effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72pWBMGH5SY

In that video, notice how in the HDR runthrough, the lights are much more brilliant, when he looks up into the light, and returns to normal lighting conditions, there's still a delay for his eyes to adjust, like in real life with temporary scarring of the retina.

You can check it out on wikipedia too I guess, if you wanna find out more.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
High Dynamic Range lighting.

An advanced lighting technique that allows for richer, more varied, and more realistic lighting effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72pWBMGH5SY

In that video, notice how in the HDR runthrough, the lights are much more brilliant, when he looks up into the light, and returns to normal lighting conditions, there's still a delay for his eyes to adjust, like in real life with temporary scarring of the retina.

You can check it out on wikipedia too I guess, if you wanna find out more.
Hm.

I guess I don't quite get it.

I mean, I know what it does now, but I have a hard time understanding what the big deal is. I guess I need to be more of a graphical snob to truely apreciate it. Or at least get the mildest understanding of the difference between a PS2 and a PS3.

It was easier when the differences between generations was more significant.

I mean, I see what it does, it's just not all that impressive to me.

By the way, High Violtage actually invented a ton of graphical techniques that don't seem to exist outside of their interviews. I'm curious how those new techniques compare to these older ones.

I am curious as to what Approxiflexion does. And lets not forget Dynametric Light Tightening and Reframbriance.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
They didn't necessarily invent, they just found ways to optimize the code to push out graphical effects you wouldn't normally except from the Wii.

As for not noticing the graphical differences. Well... iunno I guess being a PC gamer and stuff lets me notice these things.

Still, HDR is somewhat more subtle than other things. For example, Antialiasing has a very obvious effect of reducing nasty jaggies. At 720p/1080p with 4 samples, the edges are rather nice and smooth, but Wii runs at 480p with no AA at all.

Very, very noticeable. Try running a relatively new PC game at 848 x 480 on your PC with no AA, it'll look friggin horrible. Then run it at 1280 x 720 4xAA, then 1920 x 1080 4xAA. Then you'll see what the world of difference these simple things can make.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
They didn't necessarily invent, they just found ways to optimize the code to push out graphical effects you wouldn't normally except from the Wii.

As for not noticing the graphical differences. Well... iunno I guess being a PC gamer and stuff lets me notice these things.

Still, HDR is somewhat more subtle than other things. For example, Antialiasing has a very obvious effect of reducing nasty jaggies. At 720p/1080p with 4 samples, the edges are rather nice and smooth, but Wii runs at 480p with no AA at all.

Very, very noticeable. Try running a relatively new PC game at 848 x 480 on your PC with no AA, it'll look friggin horrible. Then run it at 1280 x 720 4xAA, then 1920 x 1080 4xAA. Then you'll see what the world of difference these simple things can make.
I know what AA does, and have somewhat wished so see it on the wii.

It's one of two graphical techniques I can fully appreciate - AA and motion blur. Can't really appreciate 720p because I don't really need better than 480, and can't really appreciate normal mapping and bump mapping because I don't actually understand what they do. If it's the difference between a gamecube game and an N64 game though, I immediately appreciate it.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I don't know much about this game other than it will kick *** as the best shooter so far on the Wii

so I have a few Q and A

1. is it going to be multiplayer

2. if so how will it support that?

3. Do you think it will live up to the standards of today's shooter? (like Halo, left 4 dead, Gears of War etc.)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know what AA does, and have somewhat wished so see it on the wii.

It's one of two graphical techniques I can fully appreciate - AA and motion blur. Can't really appreciate 720p because I don't really need better than 480, and can't really appreciate normal mapping and bump mapping because I don't actually understand what they do. If it's the difference between a gamecube game and an N64 game though, I immediately appreciate it.
Bump mapping basically gives a 3D look to the texture.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/X800XTdhreview/ATIHTMLPAGES/mapping.jpg

Not the best example but whatever.

720p is just 1280 x 720. Compare that resolution on any PC game to 848 x 480, there is a significant difference.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

However, the original Halo is very stiff competition. It was the best shooter I've ever played, after all.
First of all, you obviously don't play many shooters if Halo is actually the best you've ever played.

Secondly, the Wii will never get graphics that surpass the 360/PS3 due to the lack of Anti-Aliasing.

But yeah, the game itself looks great.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
So you want to add me now or latter?
With the Wii FC I mean.
Later. It's late where I live.

I also don't play many shooters. Although as someone who didn't enjoy bioshock because as awesome as it was, it wasn't fun, I would say Halo is in many ways the best FPS I've ever played, and in some ways simply the best FPS ever. Especially considering it's the best multiplayer online shooter I am aware of. I'm all about the multiplayer, and made an exception for the original Halo campaign.

Part of why I consider it the best though is that it is the first and last online FPS I was willing to get good at. Something about FPS's simply makes them too complicated for me to be willing to learn the subtleties of more than one. I think it might have something to do with the control scheme, but I won't be sure until I play the conduit.

In short, I am biased partially because Halo is the only FPS I was ever willing to get good at, possibly because it was my first. All the other FPS's were too complicated, considering I was already good at Halo and didn't feel a need to learn another control scheme for any FPS ever again, as learning every new control scheme to the point where I was adapt at multiplayer just was not fun. Well, except Metroid Prime 3, but that game doesn't have multiplayer.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
Later. It's late where I live.

I also don't play many shooters. Although as someone who didn't enjoy bioshock because as awesome as it was, it wasn't fun, I would say Halo is in many ways the best FPS I've ever played, and in some ways simply the best FPS ever. Especially considering it's the best multiplayer online shooter I am aware of. I'm all about the multiplayer, and made an exception for the original Halo campaign.

Part of why I consider it the best though is that it is the first and last online FPS I was willing to get good at. Something about FPS's simply makes them too complicated for me to be willing to learn the subtleties of more than one. I think it might have something to do with the control scheme, but I won't be sure until I play the conduit.

In short, I am biased partially because Halo is the only FPS I was ever willing to get good at, possibly because it was my first. All the other FPS's were too complicated, considering I was already good at Halo and didn't feel a need to learn another control scheme for any FPS ever again, as learning every new control scheme to the point where I was adapt at multiplayer just was not fun. Well, except Metroid Prime 3, but that game doesn't have multiplayer.
How about now?

@comboking: Yeah, there is a thread about it too.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Supposedly Official Nintendo Magazine gave the game a 7.6

Positives
-------------
+Varied, enjoyable weaponry
+Assured shooting game play
+Darting, nippy plot pacing

Negatives
-------------
-Repetitive action
-Dodgy grenade mechanic

One thing I have to wonder, If the controls are customizable then couldn't you remap the grenade to something else?

I will have to get back to you guys on my wii serial number. Smashboards should start our own conduit clan and own the gamefaqs noobs.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Supposedly Official Nintendo Magazine gave the game a 7.6

Positives
-------------
+Varied, enjoyable weaponry
+Assured shooting game play
+Darting, nippy plot pacing

Negatives
-------------
-Repetitive action
-Dodgy grenade mechanic

One thing I have to wonder, If the controls are customizable then couldn't you remap the grenade to something else?

I will have to get back to you guys on my wii serial number. Smashboards should start our own conduit clan and own the gamefaqs noobs.
Source?

My source says it was an 8.0

http://purenintendo.com/2009/05/23/nintendo-power-conduit-review/

EDIT: You didn't mean Nintendo power, did you?

Well, here's my correct source that says the game isn't reviewed by them yet.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/game.php?id=10354

Darkslash

Smash Master
Ohh great.

I went to EB games to preorder my copy of the game. To my disappointment, the game comes out on the 24th of June in Canada.

Oh yea we should have a massive clan war with the Gamefaq. Who wants to be the messenger?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Ohh great.

I went to EB games to preorder my copy of the game. To my disappointment, the game comes out on the 24th of June in Canada.

Oh yea we should have a massive clan war with the Gamefaq. Who wants to be the messenger?
I don't see how that's disappointing.

I'm pretty sure that's two days earlier than the official American release date.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
well supposedly there are scans for the game? This better not be another fake review.

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/155/1/d/TCON_01_by_19284.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs43/i/2009/155/2/5/TCON_2_by_19284.jpg

US probably won't get the game until the 24th because the game ships on the 23rd stores won't stock it until the next day. So it could be that North America gets the game on the 23rd but consumers won't be able to purchase it until the 24th. It is odd to think that they would have separate release dates for the same region.

Seriously a Smashboards clan would be too good.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
well supposedly there are scans for the game? This better not be another fake review.
I don't read the magazine, and I haven't seen enough screenshots to say whether or not the ones in the magazine were old.

However, it is hard to believe a review is real when it comes out on deviant art three weeks before the game is released. In this situation, you should always assume it is fake until proven otherwise.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Also the release date of The Conduit on the magazine was June 12th. To my knowledge its June 26th in the U.K, so some things up for sure.

Also who should lead the clan? I dunno if it should be me since some people most likely had some knowledge of the game before I made the first Conduit thread.. and I'm pretty good with shooting in Call of Duty WaW, last time I played.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't read the magazine, and I haven't seen enough screenshots to say whether or not the ones in the magazine were old.

However, it is hard to believe a review is real when it comes out on deviant art three weeks before the game is released. In this situation, you should always assume it is fake until proven otherwise.
Magazines are written at least a month in advanced. That magazine could be for August, which would finish up around this month, ship to subscribers next month, and be in stores the following month. In other words, it's not impossible. Also, magazines are notorious for having old info because of this.

The repetitive levels pretty much kills games for me. I hated Red Faction Guerilla because of this. That game is fun, but I get so bored of seeing the same thing over and over and over. Poor level design will cripple any good game. Let's see if it's true though.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Magazines are written at least a month in advanced. That magazine could be for August, which would finish up around this month, ship to subscribers next month, and be in stores the following month. In other words, it's not impossible. Also, magazines are notorious for having old info because of this.

The repetitive levels pretty much kills games for me. I hated Red Faction Guerilla because of this. That game is fun, but I get so bored of seeing the same thing over and over and over. Poor level design will cripple any good game. Let's see if it's true though.
Well, there's also the issue that the review has the wrong release date, like Darkslash said.

Although I've never actually played a ten year old shooter, unless Halo counts. I have no idea how ten year old shooters were designed. Did Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have dull, repetitive level design?

Top Bottom