• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I don't usually bother with it, but it could be seen as decent, especially considering the short momentum boost Falcon gains at the start-up of his dash attack. Could help with the grab range by a short distance. Falcon's running speed gets him close enough to grab without much of a problem anyway though, so it's not too useful.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
never used it. But considering Falcon's terrible boost Usmash, boost item throw and boost pivot grab I'm going to assume it's terrible.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Does the FALCON BOARD have a way to set up for a falcon spike? or is your best bet to be a tad bit distant from the edge and u-tilt

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there ever really is a good situation for his Dair spike. Knee is easier to land.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I use Dair onstage more than i do offstage, mainly to set up Uair.

But i like to use Knee more in options that i could use Dair. Maybe because it's awesome or whatnot, and it's stronger.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
never used it. But considering Falcon's terrible boost Usmash, boost item throw and boost pivot grab I'm going to assume it's terrible.
I actually think his boost pivot grab is the most useful out of all of them.

I just purposed the boost grab idea as I recently started playing with it, I still prefer sliding shield grab though. Now that I think about it his boosting options aren't that bad glide toss is better than a lot of others, though he'll probably only use it against projectile characters. boost up smash only blows because up smash is so laggy to begin with. I normally only use it when edge guarding, which is still pretty risky.

As for spikes.... unless your playing on FD don't plan on many spikes. run off bair, wall jump dair, etc..

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I do like using Falcon's Boost Pivot Grab, but considering his back throw is only good for looking manly and... well, I guess KOing if they're over 170%, then it's not all that useful either. I still use it on occasions though.

I've never really tested it, but is it possible to boost pivot grab- or pivot grab in general out of Falcon's foxtrot? It could make it semi useful if that's possible.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Ok I just tested everything (again) and here's the result.
Boost item throw < glide toss < JC item throw
Boost Usmash < Hyphen smash = buffered JC Usmash (bjcus)
Boost pivot grab = normal pivot grab < delayed pivot grab
dashgrab < boost grab

Everything is distance wise, meaning that JC item throw slides farther than glide toss that slides farther than boost throw, etc. The difference between dashgrab and boost grab isn't much but it's still there.

Also for Dair here are my 2 best uses found :
-when you're in the air and someone comes to chase you vertically => DJ Dair (FF or not). Good vertical spacing.
-for punishing from above=> start Dair then fastfall => Falcon bombing !!

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I also love SHDair. If done correctly, they never see it coming. And of course, it can kill if the opponent is at a high enough percentage. But it's mostly better for setting up Uairs.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
is there any grab release information on fox?

i think i MIGHT'VE discovered a gimp on fox (wolf/falco havent tried yet) that seems pretty legit but situational. ill try it on a human player ASAP and see if it leads anywhere

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
What is Falcon's best move for momentum cancelling?

Are there any tricks for landing offstage PAWNCHes? Just want to do sacred combos on my friends to shatter their dreams and aspirations.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Uair/Bair to regain air control faster
Dair to stop some momentum
Falcon Kick to completely stop all momentum (only if you know what ur doing)

btw, don't do these in order >.>
you'll SD if you do

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Usually, momentum is broken in this fashion:
Fastest Aerial -> Jump toward the stage.

Depending on your DI ability, you can keep spamming attacks to gain more control toward the stage - and SOME specials break momentum pretty well... but fastest aerial -> jump works the best.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yes, but I'll tell you how to do it perfectly to save you time, since I use it competitively now.

-First off, note that it only works on moving platforms; like Smashville.

You've got to hold down on the control stick while going through the platform and use an attack/air dodge. Personally, with Falcon, I like to use Bair when I'm not using an air dodge, especially on wifi since if you use an air dodge, it registers his canceled animation as a 'shield' and he'll pull up a shield. The timing is stupidly strict with the air dodge if you wish for him to cancel it on wifi without shielding when he stops on the platform. Bair allows you to use whatever attack or animation you want though, without the extra [shield dropping] frames.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
What is Falcon's best move for momentum cancelling?

Are there any tricks for landing offstage PAWNCHes? Just want to do sacred combos on my friends to shatter their dreams and aspirations.
Uair -> (jump) -> fastfall -> uair

Uair is our fastest aerial to come out and fastest to finish. You NEED to fastfall after a uair, use Falcon's fall speed to your advantage. If you think you will die regardless use your jump to try and stop some momentum.

Don't use any other aerial than uair. That applies in combat as well (joke).

Please don't use Falcon Kick. It does not stop any momentum in time to save you.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Also, remember that your aim when using DI is to make your trajectory as DIAGONAL as possible. If you're sent sky high, keep pressing left or right while using uair (you should uair using the c-stick). If you're sent horizontally, try to jump and make it into an angle (while uairing at all times).

Also, yeah I only use Falcon Kick when I'm really high up in the air and I want to go down faster than with a simple fastfall... but usually it isn't necessary.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Feels good to be back too. I just wish my internet wasn't acting up like this, I can't watch youtube videos or play online games properly, meh...

I returned because I really need some more meta-training. Just "training" isn't being enough to beat my IRL pals. Also there's a tournament coming up.

on-topic: when you use a nair, do you slide your thumb from the X to the A button? Or do you use another style of play?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Nair? I usually just keep my thumb on 'Y' and 'A' at the same time. Any other inputs I usually change to the claw style of holding the controller, makes things much easier if you're use to it.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I use Bair because Falcon doesn't change his vertical length like he does with Dair. I just find it much easier to that over Dair, but it depends on preference, really. If you know how to buffer out of one, then you don't really need to rely on the others.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
You're probably trying to do it on a normal platform like everyone else. It only works on moving platforms and you have to be holding down on the control stick for it to work. Go try it on Smashville. That's where I practice it, since the platform is always going to be leveled at the same height vertically.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
While going through a moving platform, you hold down on the control stick + attack/airdodge. You've got to be holding down on the control stick or else it won't cancel the attack onto the platform.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I tried doing that but nothing really happens, Falcon just appears to let a hiccup loose.

Am I missing something? What's supposed to happen?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Instead of going the whole way through the platform with a jump- or even from knock back, Falcon cancels on the platform immediately and is able to use another animation.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Oh! Dumb dumb dumb I thought we were supposed to FALL through the platform. Not JUMP through it.

Ah well, now I get it. Yeah, looks like a good technique.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
You can actually do it while falling through a platform too, Ganondorf's is probably most noticeable. Fall through -> Immediately Dair and he'll look like he keeps kneeling down.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
does it work the same with snake, except instead of dAir its bAir?

Top Bottom