• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
MK. Snake. Wario and ZSS have been the most effective ones I've seen. Characters that can camp or assist well. Falcon doesn't do all that well with characters that can't hold their own, though.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
MK. Snake. Wario and ZSS have been the most effective ones I've seen. Characters that can camp or assist well. Falcon doesn't do all that well with characters that can't hold their own, though.
Snake, Falco .

Zeallyx

Falcon-Falcon isn't all that bad, but yeah. Try Falcon-Falcon against a good MK-MK, or any team with MK in it and see how far you get.
That's common knowledge there, bro.

And you are argueing against yourself. =P

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That's common knowledge there, bro.

And you are argueing against yourself. =P
Not really. What I'm saying is double Falcon isn't terrible unless you're playing a team that completely wrecks them. MKs, Pikachus, Olimars, Marths, teams like those. lol

Not sure about anyone else, but I wouldn't use a double Falcon team if I was trying to win money, outside of a low tier tournament.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Falcon Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Falcon fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Falcon abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Falcon's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]

<beep3

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Uh, Falcon doesn't really have advantages anywhere rofl.

Delfino isn't a bad stage for CF though. We can uair/up-b shark the floating platform with mild success.

Not much to say tbh, I'll post more later when my brain starts working.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
On a scale of 1-10? Probably a 7 or 8. That makes things complicated though, so I'll consider the match-up with a ratio of 40:60 in ROB's favor on Delfino.

ROB is one of Falcon's easier match-ups and he has a really nice time juggling ROB for his large, floaty properties on platformed stages at lower percents. Unlike Battlefield, Delfino gives ROB the area to camp and keep out of Falcon's low-percent 'pseudo-combo' range on various parts of the stage, but all in all, it's a good stage for Falcon to manage on regardless.

Falcon can abuse his Uair below the platforms and he has mediocre sharking potential and pressure, followed by an up+B for recovering and following up if his sharking was shielded or evaded. Both characters have the ability to spike one another for sharking, Falcon's probably being the most notable if he decides to Raptor Rush (jump -> immediate side+B for an auto-canceled landing) across the stage if ROB tries to shark him to gain a spike.

ROB's aerials can be used to pressure Falcon quite a bit. He has a few gyromite gimmicks and can use his glidetoss to keep Falcon pressured, or follow up with a grab. ROB's fair, uair and nair are really useful for platform punishing, but I shouldn't need to state that. It's just as useful on Falcon as it is the rest of the cast.

Just keep in mind that ROB is an easy target for the Knee of Justice and he can wait below a platform if ROB's shielding and waiting for a follow up, then suddenly throw out a prolonged knee to punish (which is what I usually do, wait and punish reactions when they don't know how to react). Other than that, common knowledge from each side. ROB can camp with laser and gyromite, Falcon can keep within the comfort zones with grab and shield pressuring and try to force ROB above him.

<pewpew3

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Oh hey here's one more knee trick : when opponent's on the highest platform of BF, just FH knee to Uair. True combo until like 50% if you hit with the last part of the flub knee.
You may call it the teluoborg combo.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Oh hey here's one more knee trick : when opponent's on the highest platform of BF, just FH knee to Uair. True combo until like 50% if you hit with the last part of the flub knee.
odam, another thing to try.

I think flub has a lot of unexplored possibilities. Flub and flubbed flub. 30% trip rate too :p

Zeallyx

I never thought about that, tried it in training mode. Sweet stuff.

This is why we could use a "Pull something out of your crotch" thread.
Again, let's stop stealing from the ganon board yesterday.

Thats the same thing as flub knee Uair->offstage Uair without second jump.

So its not newish

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
2Knee's right. That's actually really old news. Should be common knowledge by now. But since some people didn't know about it, glad teluoborg stated it. rofl.

There's a lot of legit combos from platform pressuring.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Falcon's platform pressure is pro.
It's like, every time your opponent lands on a platform you get a free Uair.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
You can RAR Bair their shield while their on the platform too. I've been able to push them off the platform by Bairing their shield, then downward ftilt them into a force getup -> knee on quite a few occasions. Works best on Snake, at lower percents of course.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
[Double Post]

Also, you malnutritious ****muffins.
I need your assistance with something.

-Yes, it's DIable.
-Yes, it's techable.

But after reading some of the posts here on this board, I realized that even the most common knowledge and pseudo combos has been known to pass right over people's heads. We're seriously overlooking some of the most basic things that could prove to be beneficial for our metagame. What I'm bringing to your attention now is Falcon's down throw on Battlefield. After playing a few matches with some random person that messaged me in a chat, I realized that Falcon has an interesting setup with his platform game.

Two of the matches (against Falcon and Snake) I used a down throw around 25-30%, the knockback forced them to immediately land on a platform (which they did not tech) and during their bouncing animation, I landed a knee, which resulted in them being nearly KO'd but Falcon and Snake are both heavier characters so I had to follow-up offstage for the KOs. I'm sure most of you have performed this numerous times on various characters, but I noticed that- considering Falcon's down throw isn't normally DI'd, it makes it possible for quite a few platform setups if people don't tech.

One match in the past, I remember pulling off a downthrow -> sour bair during their bouncing animation and it caused a force getup, which I stupidly uaired them out of instead of a knee since I wasn't expecting it, but I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at. There's a huge window of options on different characters when they're in a certain percent range. It varies for each character, but I figured it was worth looking into. Characters like Jigglypuff and G&W are almost guaranteed to lose a stock if they don't tech it.

I just figured I'd bring this to everyone's attention.
Test it if you want- it's not always guaranteed, but it seemed worth stating.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Im thinking about using more the Falcon punch , do you guys think is useful against predictable moves like Falco side-B o Diddy´s side-B?

banana drop + falcon punch lands?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, I use a reverse Falcon Punch against Falco's side+B a LOT. It limits him to either recovering onto the ledge or with his up+B, which is easy to punish once he feels pressured enough to stop recovering onto the stage. lol

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
On a scale of 1-10? Probably a 7 or 8. That makes things complicated though, so I'll consider the match-up with a ratio of 40:60 in ROB's favor on Delfino.

ROB is one of Falcon's easier match-ups and he has a really nice time juggling ROB for his large, floaty properties on platformed stages at lower percents. Unlike Battlefield, Delfino gives ROB the area to camp and keep out of Falcon's low-percent 'pseudo-combo' range on various parts of the stage, but all in all, it's a good stage for Falcon to manage on regardless.

Falcon can abuse his Uair below the platforms and he has mediocre sharking potential and pressure, followed by an up+B for recovering and following up if his sharking was shielded or evaded. Both characters have the ability to spike one another for sharking, Falcon's probably being the most notable if he decides to Raptor Rush (jump -> immediate side+B for an auto-canceled landing) across the stage if ROB tries to shark him to gain a spike.

ROB's aerials can be used to pressure Falcon quite a bit. He has a few gyromite gimmicks and can use his glidetoss to keep Falcon pressured, or follow up with a grab. ROB's fair, uair and nair are really useful for platform punishing, but I shouldn't need to state that. It's just as useful on Falcon as it is the rest of the cast.

Just keep in mind that ROB is an easy target for the Knee of Justice and he can wait below a platform if ROB's shielding and waiting for a follow up, then suddenly throw out a prolonged knee to punish (which is what I usually do, wait and punish reactions when they don't know how to react). Other than that, common knowledge from each side. ROB can camp with laser and gyromite, Falcon can keep within the comfort zones with grab and shield pressuring and try to force ROB above him.

<pewpew3
Thank you so much man.
If there's anything else anyone would like to add, feel free xD<3

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Yoshi can be pretty tough, I lost to one my first low tier tourney, lol.

Just be really careful to not get grabbed (the CG doesn't do much % anyway) and if he grabs you mash out as fast as possible to screw up his timing.

Just **** him with jab and uair. Get the lead and force him to approach (PS the eggs lol), punish his approaches with uair and utilt. Yoshi's pretty slow overall so ye... uh don't get hit by usmash or fsmash and you should be good.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yoshi isn't that difficult imo. He's pretty floaty, so he's not too hard to pressure while in the air, you've just got to worry about his down+B and aerials. They all have some decent range. Pressure him with a grab game too, and once you pressure him off the stage, give yourself a decent amount of space because they usually spam up+B for a bit to try and punish before using their second jump to recover.

Most Yoshis that I've played use about 3-4 egg tosses before recovering. That's when you should be prepared to run back toward the ledge and punish (rather he recovers onto the ledge or onto the stage).

Jabs and grabs are definitely useful. Also, it's possible for you to phantom hit Yoshi out of his dash grab when the tongue hits you. It depends on the distance he grabs you from, but it's possible to stop the grab entirely if it connects. It would be more reliable to try and avoid his grab altogether though.

...I noticed that Yoshis tend to play the Falcon match-up like they do their Meta Knights.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Can you explain the phantom hits on the grab? o_O

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention to put constant pressure on his shield, it's soooo bad. Yoshi's only reliable defensive option is spot dodge so turbo jabbing that will hit him once his invincibility frames stop.

His shield drop is really slow, I don't know the frame count but you can jab him out of dropping a shield very reliably.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Oh Yoshi :
-"not hard to pressure in the air" what ? He's got the best aerial speed, an aerial grab with a lot of horizontal range and a second jump with approximatively 75642 SA frames (seriously I've played a Yoshi that uses his SA > Nair, it's painful). When in the air do NOT stay horizontally aligned with him.
-"phantom hit grab" happens when he catches you with the farthest part of his farthest hitbox, it also happens with his neutral B and can lead into Nair.
-on the ground he can pivot grab and JC neutral B, these things also have a lot of horizontal range.
-Also be careful when get out of the egg as it's a perfect setup for Yoshi's Uair (which kills) or another neutral B.

And yeah, he can't jump OOS, so pressure him like mad if he ever uses it.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
When you hit him while the grab is connecting, he gets knocked out of it. His grab has terrible priority; and usually that isn't even a factor when it comes to grabs. There's been several times where he's grabbed me and got interrupted because he dashed too close to my jabbing while trying to grab.

Same applies for his neutral+B, except you can break out of that and appear right in front of Yoshi by some means that I'm not 100% certain of. It's like he pulls you in, but you don't get eaten. Perhaps it has something to do with the animation you're in when he grabs you?

I'm not too sure. Yoshi's physics are ********.

Top Bottom