• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawlplusery - Brawl+ Codeset - Updated 3rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Well, I've been following this thread for a little while now, and I gotta say that I'm impressed. Brawl+ looks mighty dandy. I'm finally glad that I can see an end to Meta Knight's reign and Captain Falcon's and Link's...saddening positions! I can hardly wait to try it out. ^_^

So I was playing as Ike today because I just finished Shadow Dragon for the DS. (Shut up I know Marth is the Lord in that game). Ike's a beast and quite fun to play, but he's lacking something. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Speeding him up might make him too good though. And then it hit me. What does Ike fight for?

I propose that we change Ike's down taunt (the one where he plants his sword and then grunts) to use the 'I fight for my friends' audio clip. Then Ike will truly be complete.
*main reason why I'm posting, but whatever*

THAT WOULD BE MADE OF EPIC WIN. Heck, it would be more epic than a RickRolling Mudkip Falcon Punching with a power level that's over nine thousand in SPARTAAAAAAA!!!1! There'd be no way my friend would possibly hate Ike then. >:D

Plus, add taunt canceling in there, and...hehe, we'd have a lolfest. XD

D

Deleted member

I propose that we change Ike's down taunt (the one where he plants his sword and then grunts) to use the 'I fight for my friends' audio clip. Then Ike will truly be complete.
Isn't there a code that changes taunts into victory poses? If so, it could be changed to only affect Ike and his dtaunt.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Isn't there a code that changes taunts into victory poses? If so, it could be changed to only affect Ike and his dtaunt.
Sweet lord almighty I hope so and I fully endorse this. I need a reminder each match on why I'm fighting Ike. It's straight mindgames. I'm not gonna **** with someone who is fighting for their friends.

alvicala

Smash Cadet
THAT WOULD BE MADE OF EPIC WIN. Heck, it would be more epic than a RickRolling Mudkip Falcon Punching with a power level that's over nine thousand in SPARTAAAAAAA!!!1! There'd be no way my friend would possibly hate Ike then. >:D

Plus, add taunt canceling in there, and...hehe, we'd have a lolfest. XD
LOL.

You could also do an Ike´s taunt where he says:
"I also do crack and heroine!"
*thumb up*

Sukai

Smash Champion
Hey, is that link to the gct file the updated one?
I'm asking because I missed the level freezer code and I want to just download the gct file to save myself the hassle. The problem is, my slightly incomplete gct file is 3kb, and the one from the download is 2kb.
Just asking...

Almas

Smash Lord
I'd like to remind you all that this thread is for the discussion of the Brawlplusery codeset and developing a competitive game.

Knux, the links are to the most recent official versions. We will probably be doing another release within the next few days to deal with some of the issues people have been having. It contains the level freezer code, with Warioware and Pokémon Stadium 2 frozen.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Right right......

So Link buffs, eh?
Second jump height increase, if possible;
D-Tilt should spike again;
D-Throw should have less knockback;
Something should be done about the grounded Spin Attack, but I'm not sure what exactly, at the moment...

I think Gale Boomerang is fine as it is...

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
I remember people used to complain about Bowser not having any good combos. Lower the lag on the end of his Dash Attack maybe. It has crap knockback but good hitstun. A wonderful way to combo into UAIR. You can combo into stuff from uthrow too but w/e.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i honestly believe the only iteration of link that has ever worked was the smash64 link (besides his awful recovery). he had an amazing projectile game that pressured offense. if an enemy got too close, his dash attack had a jigglypuff pound type of quality to it, in that if you tried to avoid it, you still got hit. his bombs had **** knockback but lots of hitstun, so you could combo into them. his boomerang was godly not only because of its shear strength and combo ability, but the sounds it made!

to top it all off, link approached with his dair, which was lagless due to z-canceling, and could finish combos in a captain falcon-esque manner with his upB.

in melee and brawl his offensive game has drastically decreased and has been turned into a camper with lots of options but like no killing options.

we should seriously consider taking a look at what smash64 link did right and transplant those qualities to brawl link. he was incredibly fun to play and he was an extremely formidable.. despite his bad recovery (id say his recovery is almost comparable because at least n64 link had a bomb jump)

I remember people used to complain about Bowser not having any good combos. Lower the lag on the end of his Dash Attack maybe. It has crap knockback but good hitstun. A wonderful way to combo into UAIR. You can combo into stuff from uthrow too but w/e.
i was thinking about this too. i think this is good.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I don't play a whole lot of Link, but I think Jiang's idea is definitely an interesting direction to try.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Right right......

So Link buffs, eh?
Second jump height increase, if possible;
D-Tilt should spike again;
D-Throw should have less knockback;
Something should be done about the grounded Spin Attack, but I'm not sure what exactly, at the moment...

I think Gale Boomerang is fine as it is...
All of these are excellent suggestions. You really know what you are talking about because these things are some of the core problems he has that would improve him.

i honestly believe the only iteration of link that has ever worked was the smash64 link (besides his awful recovery). he had an amazing projectile game his projectile game is still good.(especially with momentum now) It's just other character with better projectiles were introduced.that pressured offense. if an enemy got too close, his dash attack had a jigglypuff pound type of quality to it, in that if you tried to avoid it, you still got hit. his bombs had **** knockback but lots of hitstun, so you could combo into them. his boomerang was godly not only because of its shear strength and combo ability, but the sounds it made! LOL yes what a win statement.

to top it all off, link approached with his dair, which was lagless due to z-canceling, we have autocanceling, and dair still has decent lag on it so its nothing like 64 and could finish combos in a captain falcon-esque manner with his upB. we can buff the up b either with KB or semi spike

in melee and brawl his offensive game has drastically decreased and has been turned into a camper with lots of options but like no killing options. Because hitstun was so dirastically decreased. All of Link's combos required extremly high amounts of hitstun.

we should seriously consider taking a look at what smash64 link did right and transplant those qualities to brawl link. he was incredibly fun to play and he was an extremely formidable.. despite his bad recovery (id say his recovery is almost comparable because at least n64 link had a bomb jump) A bomb jump would certainly help but I don't think thats possible.
My comments in red

Once again, no matter how awesome 64 ruled, B+ is not like 64. It's more like melee than 64. Every character ***** because hitstun was off the chart so even Link could combo.

Tha'ts not the case in B+. I think making Link like 64 would require a lot of individualization like individual hitstun changes. All that just to make his moveset work like 64....

Good ambition but I don't think we can go there. B+ is much closer to melee in terms of game play than 64. I question how your idea's will work.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
If we did make a brawl64 link this is what we would need to do (ideally):

-His bombs would deal more damage, but have much less knockback, and retain their hitstun.
-Leave his boomerang alone but instead..
-Alter the knockback direction of his arrows to an upward trajectory and have much less cooldown lag (so he can combo into them), and come out half charged (this will emulate smash64 link's boomerang)
-Change his aerial upB so that it can actually KO. (maybe even if they were behind him bahaha)

edit: one more thing!!!: fair 1.25x faster so that both hits connect.

With all of these changes done, link would have an incredibly potent combo game that would lead into upB finishers similar to that of a knee finisher of falcon.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
If the patching really does give us many hundreds of lines for move speed and kb/damage codes, I wouldn't worry about what's possible for now. Just dream.

Edit: Jiang that sounds really epic. I didn't get into Link in 64 but was sort of repulsed from him in Melee due to his campy style. This would be really interesting to me, but we'd have to make sure more recent Link mains didn't get alienated.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
If we did make a brawl64 link this is what we would need to do (ideally):

-His uptilt would 1.15x faster, but have less knockback growth (for punishing and combo starting) Then all you need to do is jab cancel and >utilt>utilt>utilt>utilt.Utilt :laugh: TOO EASY
-His bombs would deal more damage, but have much less knockback, and retain their hitstun.Bombs at low % are use for this kind of stuff. @ higher % its gets people in air and hits hard to get down with that long u-air
-Leave his boomerang alone but instead..
-Alter the knockback direction of his arrows to an upward trajectory and have much less cooldown lag (so he can combo into them), and come out half charged (this will emulate smash64 link's boomerang)his arrows do suck but there not very important to his metagame. Not sure if this would help at all
-Change his aerial upB so that it can actually KO. (maybe even if they were behind him bahaha)we are doing this.

edit: one more thing!!!: fair 1.25x faster so that both hits connect. not a bad suggestion. Infact a really good suggestion.

With all of these changes done, link would have an incredibly potent combo game that would lead into upB finishers similar to that of a knee finisher of falcon.
What you are forgetting is that Currently Link uses a lot of jab cancels and zairs to set up things. since jab locks got taken out there his entire metagame. If you autocancel into these things then like wow thats crazy.

I think the Up B and fair suggestions are a good idea.

The other buffs i suggested looking at are already outlined. (fixed d-tilt spike fix and slightly higher 2nd jump so combo range extended and slight recovery help.)

the u-tilt thing can be added if we really need it.

If you add these things to links subpar zair and jab canceling metagame, it becomes much better and makes him a viable character

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
We want to try and keep the characters close to their original Brawl inceptions. Though that Link sounds fun Jiang, it doesn't sound like Brawl Link. My two cents...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
You know what fine jiang.

Buff him the way you want and if he turns out bad. We'll buff him my way (I know for a fact my way will work. Your way will either work or destroy him. But I hope its the former.)

Gladly ignore all the advice of the people who main the character and ignore their strengths and weaknesses of the character who have mained him for years. @ the end of the project, he will be better no matter which road we take.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
We want to try and keep the characters close to their original Brawl inceptions. Though that Link sounds fun Jiang, it doesn't sound like Brawl Link. My two cents...
Why? Bowser has been changed completely from his Brawl playstyle. Falcon's Brawl style is failing attacks and no approaches, but look at what he is now: Melee-esque. How about Pokemon Trainer? He was all about switching between his three Pokemon, but now they fight independently. But this isn't Brawl. It's Brawl+. I say that characters should be based on their Brawl/Melee/64 counterparts.

Finns7

Smash Ace

kupo15

Smash Hero
Why? Bowser has been changed completely from his Brawl playstyle. Falcon's Brawl style is failing attacks and no approaches, but look at what he is now: Melee-esque. How about Pokemon Trainer? He was all about switching between his three Pokemon, but now they fight independently. But this isn't Brawl. It's Brawl+. I say that characters should be based on their Brawl/Melee/64 counterparts.
This^

We shouldn't base characters off of developer intent for the sake of it. This is a new game. If any character in the old cast's playstyle was optimized in melee and didn't change to brawl, we should pull stuff from there. If they are better off staying close to brawl style, we compliment that. If 64, we do that. If all three, we do that.

I agree that link should have the dtilt spike, up b semi spike, and more kb power on his up b while still keeping it chargable

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Anything besides complete *** would be "Too different" than Brawl Link. He's weak, slow, combo'd, and has a horrible recovery. His projectiles do nothing, and can't approach.

Let's look at what he's had right in the past. And that (sans recovery) would be Smash 64 Link. He was aggressive, and in control. Neither of which Link can do now.

Revven

FrankerZ
Anything besides complete *** would be "Too different" than Brawl Link. He's weak, slow, combo'd, and has a horrible recovery. His projectiles do nothing, and can't approach.

Let's look at what he's had right in the past. And that (sans recovery) would be Smash 64 Link. He was aggressive, and in control. Neither of which Link can do now.
Honestly, I feel that all he needs to be in control is a buff to his bombs (and of course the Up B spike, Dthrow change, and Dtilt fix). Cape suggested this tweak to his bombs and I agree with it.

6% damage
Lower base knockback
No scaling

It would allow for setups and he could be more aggressive with his bombs. They'd be sorta like his Melee bombs, which worked great IMO.

Nail

Smash Rookie
Nice to see that PAL Support is on for the brawlplusery codeset.
But unfortunately, when i tried it out, the game would freeze everytime i picked a stage. the game just remains in the 'loading' state.
dunno if this has been said already or if its my fault...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Okay so on Link we have decided.....

up-b buff for sure.

Things in question.

Projectile buff via bombs and or arrows
less KB on d-throw
d-tilt spike

I think he needs 2/3 of those other three/four options.
Take your pick.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Why not buff arrows? The bombs are already good enough, so may as well make one more of his moves viable? Arrows would be a good B on paper, so why not try making them better. The question is how though? More rapid fire? Faster? Stronger? Fully charged arrows given very good KB (accompanied by a screech perhaps?) Quicker charge? If only we could make Link capable of using Bomb Arrows.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hitstun and ALC alone made characters play very differently from their old brawl selves. I think we decided a very long time ago that we don't care if a character plays like their brawl self, as long as they play good and the changes make sense. Brawl+ is essentially a new game, and should be treated as such. If we give ourselves silly restraints such as this then we'll never unlock the full potential of the game, which is something I would hate to see.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
the bombs were great in 64 and I think buffing the bombs would be a great thing to do, arrows couldn't hurt, but having heavy damage bombs again is a bigger priority to me.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Heavy damage promotes using the bomb as a lame camping tool

Good setups promote using the bomb as cool in the fray business

My opinion, nothing more.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i believe that the strength of smash64 link was his incredibly ability to cover a stage and pressure an opponents shield. while hitstun was higher and defensive options are a lot more prominent in brawl, we can do many things to try to bring this playstyle to brawl link. if we want to try to do a brawl version of smash64 link, here's what i think needs to be done:

-Link's fair should be faster or stronger. We can do 1 of 2 things:
-Make it like falcon's nair or marth's nair where both hits connect. this attack is already lagless and reaches pretty far, but since it takes a bit before the second hit comes out, it acts more like a crappy poke.
-Make both hits of his fair strong to make it a potent close-range spacing move.​
-Link's bombs' knockback growth either needs to stay at a certain value or it needs to grow much slower. Also, I think we could also try to turn his bombs into objects that actually cause shieldstun when they hit a shield (think rob's gyro). In brawl, if you throw a bomb at someone's shield, they just bounce off, causing absolutely no shieldstun. If we increase the shieldstun value (whether it be knockback or damage), and decrease the distance the bombs send, link will have many more combo options out of his bomb, and turn it into a deadly, versatile weapon.

-Link's upB needs to be a viable punishing move on the ground, and a viable combo finisher in the air.
-The ground version should come out probably a bit faster. I don't believe the semi spike is necessary, but I do believe it should get an increase in knockback, but only by about 10-15%
-The aerial version is easy to connect to from other attacks, but the problem is that it's not worth using. It doesn't push people far away so that Link can get back to the stage on time to avoid being punished, and it doesn't KO. I think it should do the latter. This move should be brought back to it's smash64 glory and KO on the last hit. This last hit should be incredibly deadly.​

-And lastly, Links arrows need one of two things or both:
-Either an increase to the shieldstun (think rob's gyro again, but not so much stun) that they cause (whether this be knockback or damage, i dunno)
-Or 1 of 3 things (or both):
1. The ending lag (after link actually shoots the arrow) on it is much less.
2. The arrow starts off half charged (so that it travels farther
3. speed up the time it takes for the arrow to charge​

With these changes, link will be incredibly good at spacing, good at falling back, and have a decent move to rely on to kill with. He could do bombs -> dair and shieldstun the **** out of people.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
With the decrease in arrow lag, would that mean it would be virtually nonexistent if arrow canceling is used, assuming the recent codes haven't removed it? If so, I could certainly see it as a good combo-starting attack at close range. However, other than that, I don't think there'd be much use in reducing it. Whenever I use arrows, it's either at long range, where the opponent probably wouldn't be able to punish me from it anyway due to the distance (except if there's a reflector shield involved, of course), or quickdrawn. My two cents.

But I do like the second and third options. *nods* Although...half-way sounds like a little much. Maybe a quarter or a third?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
The aerial version is easy to connect to from other attacks, but the problem is that it's not worth using. It doesn't push people far away so that Link can get back to the stage on time to avoid being punished, and it doesn't KO. I think it should do the latter. This move should be brought back to it's smash64 glory and KO on the last hit. This last hit should be incredibly deadly.
Finally! Someone agrees with me!

I personally think that either the first or second (forward facing) hit should have deadly kb, as the up-b is easily di-able before the lsat hit connects

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I won't disagree with any of you anymore. I promised myself that.

This is a community project not a Link project. Before I may have been too closed minded.

While I think my arguments are still "more" correct, all suggestions are welcome to help the "SD Crew" AKA "Smash Development Crew" AKA "B+ backroom" make their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom