• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawlplusery - Brawl+ Codeset - Updated 3rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt4300

Smash Ace
i believe that the strength of smash64 link was his incredibly ability to cover a stage and pressure an opponents shield. while hitstun was higher and defensive options are a lot more prominent in brawl, we can do many things to try to bring this playstyle to brawl link. if we want to try to do a brawl version of smash64 link, here's what i think needs to be done:

-Link's fair should be faster or stronger. We can do 1 of 2 things:
-Make it like falcon's nair or marth's nair where both hits connect. this attack is already lagless and reaches pretty far, but since it takes a bit before the second hit comes out, it acts more like a crappy poke.
-Make both hits of his fair strong to make it a potent close-range spacing move.​
-Link's bombs' knockback growth either needs to stay at a certain value or it needs to grow much slower. Also, I think we could also try to turn his bombs into objects that actually cause shieldstun when they hit a shield (think rob's gyro). In brawl, if you throw a bomb at someone's shield, they just bounce off, causing absolutely no shieldstun. If we increase the shieldstun value (whether it be knockback or damage), and decrease the distance the bombs send, link will have many more combo options out of his bomb, and turn it into a deadly, versatile weapon.

-Link's upB needs to be a viable punishing move on the ground, and a viable combo finisher in the air.
-The ground version should come out probably a bit faster. I don't believe the semi spike is necessary, but I do believe it should get an increase in knockback, but only by about 10-15%
-The aerial version is easy to connect to from other attacks, but the problem is that it's not worth using. It doesn't push people far away so that Link can get back to the stage on time to avoid being punished, and it doesn't KO. I think it should do the latter. This move should be brought back to it's smash64 glory and KO on the last hit. This last hit should be incredibly deadly.​

-And lastly, Links arrows need one of two things or both:
-Either an increase to the shieldstun (think rob's gyro again, but not so much stun) that they cause (whether this be knockback or damage, i dunno)
-Or 1 of 3 things (or both):
1. The ending lag (after link actually shoots the arrow) on it is much less.
2. The arrow starts off half charged (so that it travels farther
3. speed up the time it takes for the arrow to charge​

With these changes, link will be incredibly good at spacing, good at falling back, and have a decent move to rely on to kill with. He could do bombs -> dair and shieldstun the **** out of people.

Umm NO Brawl link mains dont want a 64 link some havent even played 64. Brawl link mains want a better brawl link. I like some of these ideas but its never a good idea to change the way a char plays because we can. We should be highlighting his good attibutes and fixing his broken ones. Not just ones we dont like. (ex. standing grab speed, Up-b grounded and arial, fsmashes terrible kill percents, useless ftilt ect.)

If we REALLY wanted link to be as good as say Marth or something then:

* means its being considerd when we have more code space.
all death percents are taken from middle of FD on mario.(no dI)

1. Up b Speed and base kb buffed. *

Right now it uncharged it kills at 145 and 78 charged it should kill at 120 unchared and 70 charged.

2. Faster tilts (all of them) for better combos.

Dtilt should get the biggest speed boost. Ftilt should just get a starting lag boost, and Utilt just a small ending lag boost. So you can get in the air before there hitstun wears off. (faster dtilt is being considerd*)

3. more KB scaleing on Fsmash, Ftilt and Fairs second hit.

Fsmash first hit kills at 120 and second hit 125. First hit should kill at 110 second hit at 115. ftilt kills at 135. It should kill at 125. Fair second hit kills at 125 it should kill at 115 (fsmash is bieing considerd i think?*)

4. rang damage % brought up to 12 close range (and ofcouse it would lose alot of this as it goes further)

It does 7 up close 5 from a far (no im not kidding) it should do 12 close 9 from far away.

5. speed up the claw shot ending frames.*

6. increase the second jump by very little to help with combos.

OH and 7. dtilt base kb reduction.

(if something could be done with the spike that would be great)

none of this would make him 2 good. it would just make somethings (grounded up-b, ftilt, dtilt, claw shot, fair, second jump increase) ACTUALY USABLE!!!

he doesn't need any wierd ****. He just needs what he has now fixed/made better.

and before anyone says this is 2 much. Melee link had almost all of this and still sucked. Im hopeing that this + his brawl buffs to range, air claw shot, ect will even him out to being a good char.

This is just my ideas to highlight his playstyle and make him good. (I'm reposting so I can copy and paste it somewhere for myself later... lol)

If no one has made an extensive char balance thread by tomarrow evening im going to. I have the time and the want to keep it current and unbiased.

matt4300

Smash Ace
^_^ Thanks man though Im going to need more than a few people to agree to use it and to give input. I will make it tomarrow evening! i dont have time tomarow morning/afternoon

Revven

FrankerZ
^_^ Thanks man though Im going to need more than a few people to agree to use it and to give input. I will make it tomarrow evening! i dont have time tomarow morning/afternoon
Actually matt4300, there IS a plan to make said thread, we just don't know when we're going to.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I have plans for a balancing thread. When Beta 3.4 or 4 (whatever we call it) is released I'll have the topic edited and ready to go. Just wait patiently and hopefully we should have a thread up and running soon.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
^^I hate invisible floors. It actually allows mk to do some gay ****. We should remove invisible floors
Wow, you actually want to bring his suicides back? I love kirby and all but i dont really believe he should receive any buffs.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Invisible floors?
If kirby or meta upthrows and the platform under them moves or whatever and there isnt anything there logically they should just go down and suicide but instead an "invisible floor" is created that prevents kirby from doin some of is old suicide tricks.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I thought as much...

Isn't Kirby the only character whose physics were pretty much unchanged? (1.0 SH, FH, FF, Dgrav, Grav, etc.) He's a freaking monster by himself~

:034:

Smash Hero
If you're going to fix that, why stop there? ZSS+G&W bucket shenanigans, the Omnigay, Meta Knight, there are a lot of broken really good tactics in doubles. Being able to pull them off is, in my opinion, a part of doubles skill.

Also, it's kind of dumb to do if you're in a 2v1 situation: you're better off continously grab releasing the opponent to build up damage... It can be just as flashy if you're doing the right stuff.

Limeee

Smash Champion
whats a charactar thats undertested and underused in brawl+

i could play as him/her/it/chucknorris and come back with some suggestions

IC3R

Smash Lord
Snake can freaking lock you with the first hit of his F-Tilt.

I guess that's if you don't tech it, if it's techable at all~

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Smash DI down and away from Snake.

I think Snake has plenty of testing. I play him a whole lot I just don't really talk about him because he is fine. Top tier or top of the high tier but he's not broken.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
really? wow! never thought it would be those characters. i will try to play as MK, i'm not a huge snake fan, any other suggestions?

Yea. Really.

As of yet, only the Bottom to Mid Tiers, with a few high have gotten love. Top tiers and High tiers need love as well, in the sense, they need to be played, recorded, and showcased. It's only fair. I'd play MK if it came down to it, but you'd see me using the "iMgay" tag left and right as I dont like MK. I can play a scrubby snake though.

B+ is about balance. Everyone needs some form of love.

IC3R

Smash Lord
You can just tech it. Its not a problem.
Hone my skills, I must :evil:

I managed to get in about an hour of playing, but I was using the Classic controller. I used to dominate with it at first, but then I lost it for a while. I had to use a Gamecube controller, so now I've grown accustomed to that set-up. I got owned hard by the CPUs D:

Poor Kirby~

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
really? wow! never thought it would be those characters. i will try to play as MK, i'm not a huge snake fan, any other suggestions?
DK, IC's, Ike, Olimar, Pikachu, ROB, Zelda, and Yoshi...I haven't heard much about them. I've heard MK is still broken though.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
DK is pretty much perfect. When I ask myself "Is a character balanced?" my gold standard is DK.

He's got decent strings and some good real combos, a good defense/spacing game, amazing KO power, and decent edgeguarding but is balanced by a mediocre recovery and being a combo-magnet.

Zelda's great. She can do some pretty stupid U-smash chains, which is good or bad, depending on your viewpoint. She has other real combos now as well, and the NASL only helps her.

Pikachu is rapesauce, he can combo with utilts and uairs like nobobdy's business. Hitstun helps Usmash to Thunder be a more reliable combo/killer. Otherwise, he plays similar to vBrawl just better in most aspects.

Ike is pain. His SHFFL game is intense. Dair setups fmash at certain percents. Seriously. Just try him out, he's a beast. Still gets gimped though.

Don't know enough about the rest.

Revven

FrankerZ
DK is pretty much perfect. When I ask myself "Is a character balanced?" my gold standard is DK.

He's got decent strings and some good real combos, a good defense/spacing game, amazing KO power, and decent edgeguarding but is balanced by a mediocre recovery and being a combo-magnet.
This is how I feel about DK. He doesn't need any buffs/nerfs in particular (although speeding up his special animation lag would be nice, it's not necessary). Mah videos prove he is supah good right now, <3 him so much, Shell would know. :p

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
On that note, one thing I wanted to bring up was a more defined criteria for buffs / nerfs. We seem to have a couple different philosophies (even within the BRers) for what necessitates a buff / nerf. I think the easiest way to do it would be to define 5 or so exemplary characters that are very well balanced (DK!) to guide other decisions. Or do we want the BR to scrounge together a (very) rough and temporary tier list to help? Or is Jiang's WIP chart in-depth enough to help us make decisions like these?

ratts

Smash Apprentice
Likely not at all unless just for testing purposes until the new build of Gecko OS comes out (which will have some of the same features 2.0 had, like patching, which we will get).
why not? Until Gecko 2.0 comes out (which could be a LONG ways off from the sound of it) I mean, don't we WANT to be able to use more that 256 lines of code? It seems like a no brainer.

Revven

FrankerZ
why not? Until Gecko 2.0 comes out (which could be a LONG ways off from the sound of it) I mean, don't we WANT to be able to use more that 256 lines of code? It seems like a no brainer.
No no no, Gecko 2.0 isn't coming out but a BUILD of Gecko OS is coming out SOON with features from 2.0. brkirch is hard at work on it and Igglyboo has just told me it is progressing well. I would expect it to release in a week at the rate brkirch is going but I am just assuming.

It is far too confusing to use this method, it is unorthodox IMO and doesn't make it easily editable if you want to remove a code like buffering from the set for online purposes. In other words, this would just be a temporary solution and likely could be just used for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom