• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawlplusery - Brawl+ Codeset - Updated 3rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Now we have to have taunt-canceling!
It must be included because:
1. The mindgames metagame significantly improves.
2. You slide while canceling momentum... blah blah blah

I can see it coming...

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
Don't let Sonic have it.

You're you're you're you're you're you're you're you're too slow!

Cero

Smash Lord
Hey, I was just wondering. What's the reason for the 256 (around there?) line cap for the codes?

I'd like to know why there's such a limit forced upon us.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I think the title should be changed to something more official sounding, like it used to be. I remember before I had Brawl+, I came to see the Smash Workshop, and the hacking community looked chaotic, but then I saw, "The Brawlplusery - Standard Brawl+ Codeset" or something like that, and then I realized, "Hey, the community truly is organized!" My point is that some people don't find this thread through the Brawl+ FAQ, or through the pinned topic, so a name change might lead more people to it.

storm92

Smash Ace
Hey, I was just wondering. What's the reason for the 256 (around there?) line cap for the codes?

The limit is 256 lines for Gecko OS using the Wii's RAM.
Until Gecko 2.0 comes out (if it does, or if ShortFuse finishes increasing the space usable), we're stuck using 256 lines.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord

It has to do with the amount of memory that we have. The codes can be written to an unused piece of memory that all games share, and this unused amount of memory amounts to about 256 lines of code.

What's this thread about again?
We have long since forgotten. @_@

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Cero: It's a limit of what geckoOS can do. It was made to write to the almost universally open space on wii games' memory. Brawl has much more open space, but we can't write to it with the current geckoOS application.

tnemrot: All brawl+ threads tend to go into general discussion about the game if it's been sufficiently long enough since the last major update or important topic was brought up directly related to the thread. It's the age old rule of the internet: Relevance to the original topic decreases with each consecutive post.

Almas

Smash Lord
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the Brawlplusery codeset, any glitches present in it, and what you think should be changed.

The occaisional idle banter is acceptable as long as you don't go too far off on a tangent, though.

Cero

Smash Lord
Whoa. Thanks for the quick replies. :)

EDIT: Oh, wait. Also, when the new geckoOS comes out, how many lines of code will we have available then?
Or is that not yet known?

Almas

Smash Lord
Gecko 2.0 allows for code patching into unused regions of Brawl's memory. This is easily thousands of lines of code.

Shortfuse's modification will allow for slightly less than this, but still easily enough for every Brawl+ code we'd ever need.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So I just got my Brawl+ upgraded from last month, and I must say, it's amazing.
How long do you think it will be for a solid Brawl+ to be complete?

Cero

Smash Lord
Gecko 2.0 allows for code patching into unused regions of Brawl's memory. This is easily thousands of lines of code.

Shortfuse's modification will allow for slightly less than this, but still easily enough for every Brawl+ code we'd ever need.
Holy... This is going to be awesome!

We can have every competitive code we need and still have room for taunt canceling.

*drools* :chuckle:

Revven

FrankerZ
So I just got my Brawl+ upgraded from last month, and I must say, it's amazing.
How long do you think it will be for a solid Brawl+ to be complete?
It'll probably be several more months before it goes Gold assuming we get a modified Gecko OS that allows us more lines.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
One reason why I'm not trying to create my own custom code set is because I fully support what the brawl plussery is all about, and as such, I feel that I should voice my opinion. Also; I have to disagree with everyone saying that you're trying not to make Brawl melee 2.0. With every time I test the game, it feels more and more like Brawl+ is becoming a defective hellchild of Melee and Brawl. Brawl+ is great, don't get me wrong, but codes such as NASSE, and No aid-dodge while tumbling, just take away from things I enjoyed when playing Brawl, and feel should be part of the game, and obviously, if planking is an issue, like IDC, it will be banned.

=\

storm92

Smash Ace
No AD while Tumbling isn't exactly adopted by many, and I know of several people who have taken it out of the codesets.

On the other hand, No ASL is an important B+ code, and really had nothing to do with planking. It was made to make recoveries actually take thought, and add some edgeguarding elements back into the game from SSB64 and Melee.

Revven

FrankerZ
One reason why I'm not trying to create my own custom code set is because I fully support what the brawl plussery is all about, and as such, I feel that I should voice my opinion. Also; I have to disagree with everyone saying that you're trying not to make Brawl melee 2.0. With every time I test the game, it feels more and more like Brawl+ is becoming a defective hellchild of Melee and Brawl. Brawl+ is great, don't get me wrong, but codes such as NASSE, and No aid-dodge while tumbling, just take away from things I enjoyed when playing Brawl, and feel should be part of the game, and obviously, if planking is an issue, like IDC, it will be banned.

=\
It's not our fault that Melee happened to be practically perfect with the balance to offense and defense (and when I say practically, I mean almost) in order for the game to be offensive, it needed hitstun and shieldstun, in order for the game to be even faster, it needed some aerial lag reduction on all of the cast, and there also needed to be different fallspeeds. It's stupid when everyone has the same fallspeed, i.e Mario having the same fallspeed as someone like DK? No, just doesn't make any sense to me.

But, Brawl+ is also kinda reminiscent of Smash 64 in that it's still quite floaty with a good deal of hitstun so it isn't "JUST" like Melee.

I'm just tired of these comments, can we get past the "omg feelz liek Melee" BS? Is Melee some kind of beautiful child that had to be abandoned including all of its aspects that made it great because of some ugly child that needed attention but had terrible aspects? (Okay terrible analogy but, you get the point). Brawl+ wouldn't be where it is if all we had was Smash 64 to base it on, I'll tell you that much. It's based off both games, we know what won't work and we know what will. Melee worked the best and so did a lot of its mechanics, all these mechanics happened to be removed from Brawl and we just brought them back so how is this a problem? The game was clearly meant to run this way if you look at how the CPUs adapt to the codes and how well the characters do against each other (look at Captain Falcon or Mario, vastly better).

Again, I stress the fact that all of what we have added to the game is not new, they are all core smash mechanics stemming way back from Smash 64 except for Dash Canceling and some of the gravity changes (the fastfallers for example). They worked then and they seemingly work now, what's the issue?

I'm sorry you don't like NASL like the most of us do, but, it's something you'll have to get accustomed to right now.

Maybe try out ASL with the latest code set and see how it goes amongst your friends. I'm telling you though, it's not going to make the game that much better or anything of the like.

More of this discussion will be covered in episode 2 of the Brawl+ podcast so, when it is up, please take a listen to it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
At this point, I think it would be easier to say "Yes, this is Melee 2.0. Now shut the hell up and play the **** game." I'm rather tired of putting points out there to suggest Brawl Plus isn't intended to be Melee 2.0 and having people act like they're plugging their ears going "LA LA LA LA MELEE 2.0"

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
At this point, I think it would be easier to say "Yes, this is Melee 2.0. Now shut the hell up and play the **** game." I'm rather tired of putting points out there to suggest Brawl Plus isn't intended to be Melee 2.0 and having people act like they're plugging their ears going "LA LA LA LA MELEE 2.0"

Melee 2.0 attracts less people than Brawl+.

Also Melee 2.0 looks worse than Brawl+.

When you say Brawl+ doesnt have WD and L-Cancel, you disspell the image and then they dont know in which you teach them right from wrong.

Melee 2.0 = A new version of Melee so then telling them what is wrong is harder to do.

We need to make Brawl+ look good as well as play good. And as much as I despire the concept of imagery leaving an impact on something, to ignore it in this case is foolishness. :/

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
if planking is an issue, like IDC, it will be banned.

=\

No planking is one of those things that is very hard to enforce at tournaments, you cannot ban planking its very simple, ask anybody in the community that actually travels to tournaments. I agree that not being able to airdodge out of tumble a step towards the developers wanting brawl+ to become more like melee thou.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
The no AD out of tumble is a hotly debated code. This is a community project so your voices are appreciated on your thoughts about the code. We will do what the community thinks is best, which is looking like removing that code.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The no AD out of tumble is a hotly debated code. This is a community project so your voices are appreciated on your thoughts about the code. We will do what the community thinks is best, which is looking like removing that code.
That said, I really do encourage people to actually use the code before placing any input in to discussions. And preferably not using wifi matches as examples to drive their experiences from.

cman

Smash Ace
This has probably been brought up before, but the game seems not to register aerials inputted imediately after a jump. Is there a reason for it, and can it be removed? It makes B+ overall seem very unpolished all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom