• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Botanical Gardens of the Mushroom Kingdom

Are you awesome?

• Well DUH!

Votes: 160 30.8%
  • lolz no I'm a minority

Votes: 245 47.1%
  • I'm confused :c

Votes: 115 22.1%

• Total voters

Xyless

Smash Master
Here's something that I can't help but wonder: why is Uair so rarely used as a kill move?

It doesn't have as much range as Fair does, but it's still OK in its own right, and it's around twice as fast as Fair is. Also, since Uair is probably going to be fresher than Fair, that makes it even more useful in that respect. On Mario, Uair kills at approx. 145% at ground level; now if he's in the air, that'll mean it kills even earlier.

Same applies to FTilt. It has similar knockback to Uair at its sweetspot, it's fast with good range... yet whenever I see vids of Peach players, they always seem to kill with Fair, with the occasional USmash thrown in for good measure.

Back-up kill moves can be worth their weight in gold if you pull them out at the right time...
I use Uair (you at?) for juggling, so it's normally too stale to kill when I want it to.

It's about $100 for the cheap one if you want to grab that. It's black, shaped like a tear drop, and I got mine at Best Buy.
Isn't this the cheapest possible? Also, I know there's more I'd need.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8853797&type=product&id=1209166068373

hova

Smash Champion
Here's something that I can't help but wonder: why is Uair so rarely used as a kill move?

It doesn't have as much range as Fair does, but it's still OK in its own right, and it's around twice as fast as Fair is. Also, since Uair is probably going to be fresher than Fair, that makes it even more useful in that respect. On Mario, Uair kills at approx. 145% at ground level; now if he's in the air, that'll mean it kills even earlier.

Same applies to FTilt. It has similar knockback to Uair at its sweetspot, it's fast with good range... yet whenever I see vids of Peach players, they always seem to kill with Fair, with the occasional USmash thrown in for good measure.

Back-up kill moves can be worth their weight in gold if you pull them out at the right time...
much easier to land Fair and it's also much easier to space/attack safely with

i'm pretty sure every Peach loves killing with Uair, but it's much harder to set up.

i love sexxy falling dair > uair kills the most

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Best song ever.

I would highly enjoy this recorded.
Get on skype and I will play it for you on there. If it gets your approval I'll record it and add it to youtube. . I also learned alot of stuff on it.

- Starman (for you noobs that don't know what that is, it is when Mario gets a star and that song plays.)

- Sonic 3D blast, Panic Puppet Zone Act 1

- Super Mario Bros Main theme.

- Super Mario Bros 2, Final Boss.

- Doctor Mario.

Also for upa ir kills, I usually Dthrow and go under them and float in place. They airdodge or wiff an attack (depends on characterif you can get away with that attack) and Up-air.

Cia

das kwl
Hey if you feel like playing soon let me know. I'm kinda in the mood, prlly cause I haven't played in so long.
Sure.. I might play this weekend if you're up to it. I main Jigglypuff now. And I'll say this. After using her against Ally and NL the other day, I have no doubts that it's a smart decision.

:colorful:

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Outside of early comboing, i agree with someone who said it is hard to set up. The only "set up" i have for it is trying to hit a recovering opponent with an upthrown turnip. But mostly, thats a setup for NAir :p Turnip forces them into moving/attacking/airdodging. The UAir that follows the reaction hits only sometimes, but the NAir that follows the UAir always hits someone who airdodges (who doesnt have a jump/momentum canceller saved.)

Other than that, I use it to edgeguard sometimes? It puts them way above you, as opposed to NAir/FAir from the ledge, which you have to chase them to keep up. The UAir will just put them into juggling space, and start that turnip rain :p I guess its just less effective because her brawl 2nd jump doesnt allow her to chase up very high to force reactions early (with the reprecussions of missing and falling helpless alongside a very DSmash-ready peach :p)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Upair also suffers massive move degeneration. It's real strong when 100% fresh, but even you used it once, the 2nd one is wayy weaker. There was some research done on this by FadedImage and a thread posted about a year ago..

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Is dair -> double hit nair a guaranteed combo on most enemies at 0%?

And I can never seem to get my nair to double hit. Where are the hitboxes on the second hit? (I know you release float to get the second hit)

gantrain05

Smash Master
Is dair -> double hit nair a guaranteed combo on most enemies at 0%?

And I can never seem to get my nair to double hit. Where are the hitboxes on the second hit? (I know you release float to get the second hit)
its guaranteed if they don't know how to SDI, or even just regular DI lol.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
its guaranteed if they don't know how to SDI, or even just regular DI lol.
At 0%, Dair -> nair is guaranteed on over 90% of the cast. I was just wondering if it is possible to get the second hit of the nair in too. You know what a double hit nair is, right?

gantrain05

Smash Master
At 0%, Dair -> nair is guaranteed on over 90% of the cast. I was just wondering if it is possible to get the second hit of the nair in too. You know what a double hit nair is, right?
i know what it is, but its not guaranteed for the double hit Dair > Nair, one Dair > Nair is tho for sure.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I'm saying double hit "nair," not "dair." And dair doesnt double hit.
Double hit does not mean use the move twice, it is a property of the nair and bair where the move can hit twice in a single use of the move after dropping out of the float. I'll find a video later, i gtg for now.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Yes it's gaurenteed, even if the SDI off the nair if you let go of flaot youll get the double nair. As soon as the float is released, FF so you auto cancel as quickly as possible and you can connect into ftilt grab or jab...

Though they should be SDI'ing out of the DAIR in the first place. Anyone can SDI and jump out of dair.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Well, most people don't really seem to know that, quick edit your post :laugh:

For real though, isnt it really hard to SDI the dair? I've never had to do it myself, but against me, nobody cept a lucario has ever been able to get out

White-Peach

Smash Ace
You have to be sure to follow their hurtbox with the NAir hitbox. The strong hit NAir will move them away some (so you have to move while you NAir), and you release the float after the first (strong) hit, to get the second (weak) hit.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
You have to be sure to follow their hurtbox with the NAir hitbox. The strong hit NAir will move them away some (so you have to move while you NAir), and you release the float after the first (strong) hit, to get the second (weak) hit.
Ah, so you have to be moving forward in order for it to connect? That seems like it should work. Thanks.

Top Bottom