• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Botanical Gardens of the Mushroom Kingdom

Are you awesome?

• Well DUH!

Votes: 160 30.8%
  • lolz no I'm a minority

Votes: 245 47.1%
  • I'm confused :c

Votes: 115 22.1%

• Total voters

Nordal

Smash Lord
I thought Avengers was good, but I felt that its strong points were strong and its weak points were really weak.

Obviously the special effects and the comedy aspect were good, but the plot was lacking and it also required you to have seen all the movies for all the heroes to understand the premise. I also got lost at a lot of points in the plot, and it didn't help that the Hulk was played by a different actor (I think).

I thought it was good, but I sure as hell didn't think it was amazing.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Top 15 movie list!

1. American Beauty
2. City of God
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Das Boot
6. Spirited Away
7. Leon: The Professional
8. Taxi Driver
9. The Shining
10. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
11. Kung-Fu Hustle
12. Clockwork Orange
13. There Will Be Blood
14. Requiem For A Dream
15. Pan's Labyrinth

Honorable Mentions: Casablanca, American History X, Anastasia, The Incredibles, Shutter Island, No Country For Old Men, The Green Mile, Gladiator, Troy, Million Dollar Baby, Slumdog Millionaire, Monsters Inc, Fight Club, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Wizard of Oz, The Godfather, etc etc.

Your list misses A Separation ;_;. It's a very good movie and it gives you braincells while watching. Also what did you like of Pan's Labyrinth? Many people seem to like it but to me the movie was one of worst ever.

Other than that I barely know any of those movies you listed :p. You must be a theater guru.

Oh and where's Leslie Nielsen!! OMG his movies gave me jaw pain.

:053:

Sarix

Smash Ace
Well you can screw up the plot like in the case of X-men Last Stand (hate). But otherwise there really isn't much you can do with comic book franchise plots.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'll watch A Separation today, seems very good from what I've read.

-

Pan's Labyrinth was genius to me due to a lot of reasons.

Protagonist was female and very young (I love female protagonists), her environment was super weird/scary.. perfect setup for a horror film, except it had a lot more heart and plot to go along with it.

Lots of speculated allusions to previous events in the world through things that happen when the girl had to carry out a specific task.

Acting was superb. Never had a dull or boring moment for me.
Extremely smart plot twist that was placed at the perfect moment in the film.

Depicted a lot of symbolism towards greed, power, good/evil, anarchy, and deception which are all things I believe people can relate to in their own lives. The movie is great for me because it provides so much to it's audience, but it doesn't explain itself entirely.

I love trying to figure out or uncover certain things, and that's what Pan's Labyrinth really set itself up for. Plus it did it in a way that was very different to my culture, which made for a very interesting film for me personally.

z00ted

X-Men: First Class was twenty times better than Avengers, and I still disliked that movie.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I disliked it too, there was just so much wrong with it.

:phone:
It just screwed around with the continuity WAY too much and they completely botched the idea of the Phoenix Force which really made me mad as it wrecked one of my favorite characters and my ability to like the first 2 X-men movies.

z00ted

It's a curse. You could probably never tell by meeting me for the first time.

I really hate the word hipster, though.
I hate the word pretentious even more.

Is there like an anti-hipster hipster establishment?

You'll attest to being somewhat of a hipster, but you hate TRUE hipsters?
Or would that make you even more of a hipster...

Like, what is a hipster exactly?
Someone who likes art?

edit:

Urban Dictionary: Hipster

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.

Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.

Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.

A conversation outside a hipster bar in downtown NYC:

Frat Boy #1: Dude, are you having any luck picking up chicks in there?

Frat Boy #2: Man...I haven't experienced anything like this before. These chicks are totally rejecting me and going for all these hipster guys in tight pants and shaggy hair instead.

Frat Boy #1: Maybe we should head back up to that bar in Murry Hill where you hooked up with that drunk b*tch from Alpha Sigma Phi last week?

Frat Boy #2: Yeah...I don't think we have what it takes to compete with these guys in here. These hipster chicks won't even give us the time of the day!

-

LMFAO this **** gets serious as hell

I'm sorta a hipster.. only towards the intellectual/music/art stuff.
Not in it for the fashion or trend, **** that.

I don't hate stuff just to hate it because it's mainstream.
I hate **** because it ****ing sucks and gets boring fast.

)AS(fSjufiosadf LOL this video

http://youtu.be/QyRZUji1OjY

Sarix

Smash Ace
I've never disliked hipsters for their lifestyle choices, it's whenever I encounter hipster groups that treat me like I'm uncouth trash that can't understand the nuances of different types of art, music, or entertainment. That's when I draw the line at respecting the subculture.

I do find it funny though because I'm so critical of mainstream entertainment that I've been called a proto-hipster by some of my friends.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What happened that made you stop liking it, Kyon?:applejack:

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Last Stand just didn't make any sense.
Phoenix being an "Alter ego", Magneto being able to convert her to the Brotherhood, The Phoenix being able to die, The Phoenix not being the entity that revives Jean when she dies.

I ****ing hate Comic Book to Movies.
They all suck.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Less X-Men, more real men pictures. Who haven't we seen yet?

Hi Sarix!

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I would say around half of Illmatics Top 15 and others are really over rated movies.

Then again I don't really watch TV or go to the cinema.

But still I've seen nearly all the movies he listed and half of them were meh to me.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
/ButtPokeTalkButtPokeTalkButtPokeTalkButtPokeTalk

"...But I poop from there!"

"Not right now you don't."

Top Bottom