• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Roller

Smash Legend
Rob, try to get a bigger venue and build it up to be a more legit national, like with more than just a handful of WC and Canada. Pound sized. That would be hype, especially since there aren't any nationals on the horizon right now.

Melee only I assume tho?

Also, Tutu with that irl quote for his sig. I approve.

Roller

Smash Legend
To prove the point, you would need melee and brawl singles and doubles, possibly with a 64 side tourney at a minimum.

The midwest should really have a national tho. I mean. It makes the most sense. We're in between the coasts and Canada could actually show up in pretty large numbers. And the south always have to take planes anyway.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
To prove the point, you would need melee and brawl singles and doubles, possibly with a 64 side tourney at a minimum.

The midwest should really have a national tho. I mean. It makes the most sense. We're in between the coasts and Canada could actually show up in pretty large numbers. And the south always have to take planes anyway.
I support this 200% All the Michigan TOs should collaborate on this. I think we could get something good going.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It would for sure be a two-day tourney.

I discussed this with some people before, it's much better to have a relaxed schedule over two days. Allows OoS people to comfortably travel here Saturday morning and comfortably drive back home Sunday night, only forcing them to stay for one night. The Big House's one-day schedule was executed pretty well IMO but obviously things were hectic and most OoS people had to stay for both nights, or resort to driving back home super late into the AMs on Saturday night.

I also think the two-day schedule would allow for Brawl to happen, but that's not a guarantee yet. Something like this:

Saturday
1pm Venue Opens, Registration, Friendlies
3pm Melee Doubles Bracket, Brawl Singles Pools
6pm Brawl Doubles Bracket, Melee Singles Pools
9pm Melee Crews, Brawl Crews

Sunday
1pm Melee Singles Bracket, Brawl Singles Bracket
6pm Smash 64 Singles Bracket
9pm Venue Closes

I feel like there is a lot less overlap between people who enter doubles for one game and singles for the other, so this schedule would hopefully solve a lot of the dual-game entrant problems that come up.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
Engineering is pretty easy.

Anyone talking about how hard their major is, is either in the wrong major or just bad at everything. When I say "in the wrong major" I simply mean you're terrible at it and should do something you can handle.
I don't understand this logic. Why is it that if you think your major is hard you're in the wrong major? I've never met a physicist in my life who didn't think it was incredibly difficult. Why would I say it's easy? That just means im not taking it seriously. You could ask Stephen hawking what he thinks of physics and I promise you he wouldn't say it's "easy." Only cocky people just say a science is 'easy.' it's as difficult as you make it. If you're in a major that doesn't challenge you then you don't care enough about learning

:phone:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@ tutu SOPA/protect ip are horrible legislations that, if they were enacted would require any site that hosts User content (such as swf) to prescreen everything (ie User posts) else severely risking being nearly imaccesable in th us. Its terribly damaging to both web users and to large websites, while being next to impossible for smaller sites to uphold.

@Rabbi: perhaps we simply have different definitions of difficult.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Dan how good is Mirai Nikki? I have it on my list to watch and I need something to watch after I'm done with Working Season 2, Steins;Gate, and the K-On!! Movie.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
hey smart people: namely scotu

https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

Should I support this?

I think its stupid to sign a petition for something that I don't have an informed opinion about. But if someone that I trust to make informed opinions has an opinion on it than I feel that its fine.

tl;dr Be smart for me.
Wow some people don't know how SOPA is going to ruin the internet? Everyone in this thread, no, everyone in this FORUM should go to that website. Google/Facebook/Twitter/Reddit are all thinking of blacking out their sites for a day in protest of SOPA which would destroy everything the internet stands for (Reddit announced they're doing it 1/18).

Doesn't get any media attention because those who control the media support the bill. Its pretty crazy stuff.

Wow some people don't know how SOPA is going to ruin the internet? Everyone in this thread, no, everyone in this FORUM should go to that website. Google/Facebook/Twitter/Reddit are all thinking of blacking out their sites for a day in protest of SOPA which would destroy everything the internet stands for (Reddit announced they're doing it 1/18).

Doesn't get any media attention because those who control the media support the bill. Its pretty crazy stuff.
I didn't know, that's why I asked.

Thanks for the information Dan.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Forewarning: I'm not current on Mirai Nikki

In all seriousness, I think the anime team is doing a really good job adapting the manga to anime form. The manga is excellent and the anime is doing a good job capturing the good stuff while also doing what anime does best (and manga doesn't). So, I would recommend it were it finished and I'd seen all of it and it continues to be like it is.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
@apasher: Yeah, I've tried that deinterlacing already, but I think actually, just uploading the raw vids to youtube does something with the interlacing (mebbe youtube does something in the background?).

Also I've been playing around with xsplit a bit and its recording feature. Does anyone know if any lag from the actual stream carries over to the recording that xsplit makes or is the recording all local (and so no possibility of lag)?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
yt when viewed in 320p will look non-interlaced because it has it's fields blended to downscale. when viewed at 480p though, it should still have combing artifacts.

what do you mean by lag carrying over to the recording?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Rob if you ran another Big House, I would be there 100%, the first one was still one of the best tournaments I've been to, even though I got destroyed in pools.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwE5HiW_kc
Thats one of my raw dazzle exports (no vdub stuff), and I don't notice any interlacing at 480.

And I mean like, if the livestream crowd was watching and the stream started lagging, would the xstream recording be like the livestream recording (so basically whatever twitch.tv captured with lag and all) or would it be like a local recording like you also recorded it with your own program independent of the stream (which would be sooooo amazingly awesome)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Depends on why "the stream started lagging" exactly.

If frames were dropped (the usual culprit) then they're just lost, end of story.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Simplified situation: Im on the beastliest computer like from the CIA. Im on some 56K AOL interweb though. Stream will lag for sure. BUT when I click the button to do xstream recording, is the recording a result of my amazing compy (and therefore amazing quality and framerate) or is it a direct recording of what my internet was capable of (super laggy and pauses alot)?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It would for sure be a two-day tourney.

I discussed this with some people before, it's much better to have a relaxed schedule over two days. Allows OoS people to comfortably travel here Saturday morning and comfortably drive back home Sunday night, only forcing them to stay for one night. The Big House's one-day schedule was executed pretty well IMO but obviously things were hectic and most OoS people had to stay for both nights, or resort to driving back home super late into the AMs on Saturday night.

I also think the two-day schedule would allow for Brawl to happen, but that's not a guarantee yet. Something like this:

Saturday
1pm Venue Opens, Registration, Friendlies
3pm Melee Doubles Bracket, Brawl Singles Pools
6pm Brawl Doubles Bracket, Melee Singles Pools
9pm Melee Crews, Brawl Crews

Sunday
1pm Melee Singles Bracket, Brawl Singles Bracket
6pm Smash 64 Singles Bracket
9pm Venue Closes

I feel like there is a lot less overlap between people who enter doubles for one game and singles for the other, so this schedule would hopefully solve a lot of the dual-game entrant problems that come up.
So.....

Can I call dibs on one of the main Brawl TOs for this if it goes through. 1000% down for this.

You have no idea.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
So.....

Can I call dibs on one of the main Brawl TOs for this if it goes through. 1000% down for this.

You have no idea.
If you do TO, do you mind if I shadow you Tech? I've always wanted to know how to run tournies. Same goes for you too Rob, you guys are really good at running tournies.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Julian, you can shadow me at any of the SWEET tourneys this semester, haha. I can't TO forever, so if the UM Smash community is to live on past 2013, then someone from your year will probably have to step up!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Clowsui would be a great asset to the team as he and I both are pretty good at bringing people from all over in the Brawl scene. We actually talked about doing a national after I got back from Apex so this is pretty good timing.

Also Zinoto, you can shadow me at Phoenix Saga if you want as well if you want to learn the basics. :)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'd be more than down to assist in anyway possible for a Michigan National.

Also Hot_ArmS and Travis, your sigs will be done today.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I would report for duty as well, doesn't matter if it's melee or brawl

and you know I'm not gonna enter so im not gonne be sidetrackted by worrying about my own matches

and ori thanks! Looking forward to it

Top Bottom