• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

zyth

Smash Lord
this thread IS the MI brawl thread

why do you think the melee people made that other thread

:phone:
Pretty sure this thread is called "The BIG MI discussion Topic." Don't see Brawl anywhere in there. nor melee for that matter.

The MI Melee thread announces them ahead of time AAs SF are just 1 person saying their going to the game room and others join in which sucks for those who have to travel for it
this is another reason y we should have a brawl SF thread. then we will have advanced notice(hopefully) instead of ppl sayin, I'm headin up to the game rm, follow. I'm just sayin it would help the brawl community be more organized in terms of SFs

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
this thread IS the MI brawl thread

why do you think the melee people made that other thread

This was never intended to be the Brawl thread. It's just an unfortunate fact that the Brawl players probably post on Smashboards 10x more than the Melee players.

Roller

Smash Legend
Even if we had another thread, i feel like most of MI is last minute when it comes to preparation regardless. XD
^This. Also, 3/4 of the smashfests we've had so far this semester in AA have taken place at someone's place. Not the game room. In fact, I'm heading to one at THuGz' place now.

What's The Point

Smash Master
AA has short notice fests because everyone can walk to each other at any given time. Everyone just uses their phones to communicate because it's faster than posting.

Lack of smashfest elsewhere is your problem. AA is like am hour away from the closest SE MI smasher, and no one had a car in AA.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I feel your pain Dan. That's just how the college campus scene works, I guess. I don't think AA will ever have very many set-in-stone scheduled Smashfests.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yo, I got news on The Big House 2 tentatively being planned for Fall 2012.

Probably going with Pierpont Commons Cafe as the venue. The location isn't as good as central campus, but is still good enough to get all the locals to show up. Plenty of food is available nearby (Quizno's, Panda, UGo's) obviously. Parking, while not super convenient, is still better than any central campus location. And 3600 square feet means we could definitely run both games. Maybe even Smash 64, but the biggest issue with that is lack of setups. I'd only be comfortable running it if we got like 5-6 full Smash 64 setups and a competent Smash 64 TO (aka not myself).

I don't think we should be aiming for a giant, messy, cluster**** of a national level turnout... I'd rather try for a super regional with a few national names in attendance, kinda like we did with The Big House and the West Coast players. I think a realistic goal is 120 for Melee, 80 for Brawl. But hey, if you guys run away with the Brawl advertising and catch up to the Melee turnout, then you can be sure the venue space will be divided accordingly. I'll probably have Brian head the Brawl team like at GSS and obviously Derek, Ori, and others should be on board as well.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
i love the commons cafe

consider me willing to join the asian doom squad

edit: im assuming that you still want a 2 day event, and that setups need to be taken away after the first day

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I never have problems with phone signal on north, what kinda service do you have

dang $12/hour to rent that, didnt think it was that cheap

rokimomi

Smash Lord
ATT, and I know att's reputation, but pretty much anywhere else but north campus (and a few rooms in north) I'll get perfect signal so I don't thing it's my device or anything.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Yo, I got news on The Big House 2 tentatively being planned for Fall 2012.

Probably going with Pierpont Commons Cafe as the venue. The location isn't as good as central campus, but is still good enough to get all the locals to show up. Plenty of food is available nearby (Quizno's, Panda, UGo's) obviously. Parking, while not super convenient, is still better than any central campus location. And 3600 square feet means we could definitely run both games. Maybe even Smash 64, but the biggest issue with that is lack of setups. I'd only be comfortable running it if we got like 5-6 full Smash 64 setups and a competent Smash 64 TO (aka not myself).

I don't think we should be aiming for a giant, messy, cluster**** of a national level turnout... I'd rather try for a super regional with a few national names in attendance, kinda like we did with The Big House and the West Coast players. I think a realistic goal is 120 for Melee, 80 for Brawl. But hey, if you guys run away with the Brawl advertising and catch up to the Melee turnout, then you can be sure the venue space will be divided accordingly. I'll probably have Brian head the Brawl team like at GSS and obviously Derek, Ori, and others should be on board as well.
Was the venue that I told you about too big?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Was the venue that I told you about too big?
It's several miles off campus and doesn't give rental discounts to UM student organizations. Could never really consider it.

I never have problems with phone signal on north, what kinda service do you have

dang $12/hour to rent that, didnt think it was that cheap
It's not that cheap, I would have to rent it for the entire overnight period for a two-day tourney since we need to keep the setups there, which is like 30+ hours total.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
lol no, it's $120 flat rate plus $24 per hour after five hours. So probably around $700 total, not $300... and that's just the cost of the room. We'll just do $10 venue fee again.

I'll check the outlet situation this week before deciding if it's the right venue. If not then Michigan League is a good fallback option.

Roller

Smash Legend
Good stuff.

Also, if people here really want to know when AA (Brawl) smashfests are happening. I can post. But. It will probably be no more than 1-2 hours notice most of the time, because we usually just call them an hour or so beforehand.

Top Bottom