• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big House Results [10/22/11 - Ann Arbor, MI] 115 entrants!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Road to Apex: The Big House
10/22/11
Ann Arbor, MI
Official Results Thread
Wow!!! This tourney turned out better than I could have imagined. Thanks for coming everyone, especially the West Coast guys: S2J, Lovage, SFAT, Tafokints, Violence for flying out and committing an entire weekend to this bad boy. The hype was incredible with so much OoR talent. We did our best to squeeze this all into one day, and considering the national-level turnout and duration of sets near the end I think everything worked out great with singles bracket finishing by midnight!

Thanks so much to my TO staff: Jungle, Roller, BloodyJoker, Aceplayer, 3Chairz, Chad for helping out with absolutely everything throughout the day. Thanks PEEF for taking care of the livestream, I'm still trying to comprehend the mindblowing figure of 2400 viewers at one point. And thanks to the pool captains: Duck, Carroll, KirbyKaze, Rat, SCOTU, 4% APR, Shady, ORLY, Dre, Dart, Velynn, Drephen, Oro?!, Vro, Taki, The Good Doctor for helping run their own pool, it made things much easier.

I will blog about this event in a few days with more thoughts and of course shoutouts. For now, I still gotta drop off s2j/Lovage to the airport and then start doing some homework, lol.

Original Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304965
Videos Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313199

Singles (115 entrants)
1: Lovage ($648) :foxmelee:
2: S2J ($324) :falconmelee:
3: VanZ ($243) :peachmelee:
4: KirbyKaze ($162) :sheikmelee:
5: Unknown522 ($81) :foxmelee:
5: Duck ($81) :samusmelee:
7: [YRSF] Raynex ($40) :foxmelee:
7: Weon-X ($40) :foxmelee:
9: Tink :foxmelee: :sheikmelee:
9: Trail :icsmelee:
9: Dart :marthmelee:
9: Idea :jigglypuffmelee:
13: Drephen :sheikmelee:
13: SFAT :foxmelee:
13: Moose :falcomelee:
13: ORLY :falconmelee:
17: Rat :samusmelee:
17: Velynn :jigglypuffmelee:
17: SlayerTokey :falconmelee: :marthmelee:
17: Kalamazhu :peachmelee:
17: Shaeden :falcomelee:
17: 4% APR :foxmelee:
17: X :sheikmelee: :foxmelee:
17: Tafokints :sheikmelee:
25: Kels :foxmelee:
25: Little England :falcomelee:
25: TheLake :zeldamelee:
25: Scythe :falcomelee:
25: Vro :falconmelee:
25: Riddlebox :peachmelee:
25: Oro?! :falconmelee:
25: Flip :sheikmelee:
33: Shady :marthmelee: :falcomelee:
33: Vudujin :luigimelee:
33: Juggleguy :falconmelee:
33: Taki :foxmelee:
33: SCOTU :foxmelee:
33: Frootloop :falcomelee:
33: Kail :ganonmelee:
33: HIV+ :falcomelee:
33: Windrose :falconmelee:
33: PEEF :icsmelee:
33: 1der :foxmelee:
33: Hindawg :falcomelee:
33: TheNumberJay :jigglypuffmelee:
33: Violence :samusmelee:
33: The Good Doctor :sheikmelee:
33: SilentSwag :sheikmelee:
49: alcheato
49: Carroll
49: Roki
49: Radar
49: Reneblade
49: PSICaramel
49: Voorhese
49: Gibby
49: Nakamaru
49: Lain
49: RyeJew
49: Lanceinthepants
49: Republic0fHeaven
49: Mundungu
49: Apples
49: Darkwing Duck
65: Love
65: Get Low
65: 3Chairz
65: Roller
65: Dempt
65: Soul
65: ThugZ
65: A Tree
65: soap
65: Watermelon
65: Aceplayer
65: Jungle
65: INSANE CARZY GUY
65: BloodyJoker
65: Butch G
65: CaveDweller
81: Da Shuffla
81: Xan
81: JavierBrolina
81: D@zyKiNg
81: Doomblaze
81: Hellsing
81: mista-sprinkles
81: Prodigal
81: Dre
81: Skyson
81: General Heinz
81: BLiu
81: Squarehead
81: Denzi
81: Eiodyne
81: Kinglit
96: Monk
96: Gio (DQ'd)
96: dablackpacman (DQ'd)
96: Oddish
96: LethalXD
96: Slimpyman
96: scoutsniper1231
96: Punkdafunk
96: Zwarm
96: SpooN
96: Rojo Diamond
96: Solo
96: DJ Trehan
96: Jermesque
96: Bert
96: Kickmaster J
112: Toast
112: Knapp
112: TuxingtonIII (DQ'd)
112: KJH (DQ'd)

Bracket:

Doubles (39 teams)
1: S2J + Lovage ($390)
2: Unknown + [YRSF] Raynex ($195)
3: SFAT + KirbyKaze ($117)
4: Kels + Vro ($78)
5: Tink + Velynn
5: 4% APR + X
7: Drephen + Trail
7: CunningKitsune + Little England
9: VanZ + Vudujin
9: Duck + Rat
9: ORLY + Mundungu
9: Kail + Shaeden
13: Idea + Riddlebox
13: Tafokints + Alcheato
13: Dart + Oro?!
13: TheLake + Nakamaru
17: Juggleguy + Hindawg
17: Jungle + Zwarm
17: 1der + Darkwing Duck
17: Moose + Frootloop
17: Reneblade + Radar
17: Peef + TheNumberJay
17: CaveDweller + R0H
17: dablackpacman + Soul
25: Skyson + Dempt
25: 3Chairz + Watermelon
25: Kalamazhu + A Tree
25: Lanceinthepants + Voorhese
25: Prodigal + General Heinz
25: RyeJew + SlayerTokey
25: PeopleCallMeJon + RonDiesel
25: Monk + D@zyKiNg
33: Knapp + Get Low
33: Carroll + JavierBrolina
33: Violence + Gibby
33: Kinglit + Butch G
33: Soap + Apples
33: Oddish + Punkdafunk
33: Twin Dragon 1 + 2

Bracket:

Notes

* Out of 115 entrants, two got DQ'd for being too slow during pools, two got DQ'd for not paying on time, and I also waived entry fee for my five TO staff members, so the prize pot ended up as 108 * $15 = $1620 overall.

* We did 16 pools of seven to eight players. Top 3 advanced to a 48-player bracket with first seeds getting a first-round bye. Final singles pools can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EFSSHdNRThFd0xwS3VfS1NvSXZROVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

* All matches played on the livestream were also recorded to a high-quality digital copy, except for a 45-minute or so time period in the middle of doubles bracket when the recording device was not turned on. There were at least 4 other recording setups as well. Videos thread coming soon.

* Reneblade and I will be doing a Top Ten Plays (Big House Edition) similar to the Top Ten Plays segment from Who's Got Salt and from SMYM12. Let the highlight reels begin :awesome:

* The $100 Midwest Apex stipend can be claimed at Apex 2012 in this order of priority:
1. VanZ
2. Duck
3-5. Tink/Trail/Dart
6-8. Drephen/Moose/ORLY

Thank you for attending, everyone!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Travis not getting that last place. =3

Good **** Vanz. It was awesome watching you on the stream.

KK - I asked for a hug at RoM :( do I gets one?

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
25: Kels

fix that ****

Again, good **** duck, not only reppin the MW, but reppin MI.

:phone:

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Duckkkkkk zomg

shoutouts to peefs **** stream allowing me to watch the tourney because I was too poor to go and pay venue and spectators fee

D1

Banned via Administration
I find it ******** that a Road to Apex event didn't have the Apex logo on the stream, but I guess we're not all adults yet. Anyway great job everyone. Hopefully one day people will grow up and not harbor grudges for minute and trivial things. Awesome jobs to VanZ and the TO for hosting such a great event!!!!!!

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I find it ******** that a Road to Apex event didn't have the Apex logo on the stream, but I guess we're not all adults yet. Anyway great job everyone. Hopefully one day people will grow up and not harbor grudges for minute and trivial things. Awesome jobs to VanZ and the TO for hosting such a great event!!!!!!
Speaking of being an adult, usually adults take their business up with each other instead of insulting them in a public forum. But since we're ignoring that I thought I'd bring it up here.

Way too many shout outs for my brain to process, those who I love already know it :p Glad I decided to come to this instead of winning $70 here in Columbus.

D1

Banned via Administration
This was already out in the public in chat, but if you think taking stabs at me will solve anything it won't. I'll let the flames die w/ my post here and won't respond to anything else further regarding this subject. I heard it and witnessed what the stream runner said on a stream open to everyone, I guess that makes it fine to everyone else so I'll just leave it at that in an effort to not derail the thread.

Great tournament great experience.

Peace.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
Speaking of being an adult, usually adults take their business up with each other instead of insulting them in a public forum. But since we're ignoring that I thought I'd bring it up here.

Way too many shout outs for my brain to process, those who I love already know it :p Glad I decided to come to this instead of winning $70 here in Columbus.
yo what makes u think u would win that money looool

JPOBS

Smash Hero
WOW! this was a great tournament and WOW! the stream was awesome.

thanks for the livestreaming peef, and lovage your commentary was WOW!

shoutouts to socal for being amazing, winning doubles and singles ! wow!
canada all up in the top 8-10 WOW!

once again, WOW, great tournament glad I could see it.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Didn't Lovage and S2J split?

I remember Lovage telling the livestream that they did.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Lol d1 just dont bring it here, you know 1 side and 1 side only and we dont patricularly care. I know about 7 people personally(+ All peefs stream monsters) who would be MORE THAN HAPPY to put u alex strife crismas and whatever scrubby brawl PR guy who wanna talk about it ur place.

Shoutouts when i finally get to sleep.

Lovage and s2j split but they played it out.

THE DAIR > FSMASH COMBO WAS ON LOVAGE, NOT S2J. ive already heard 4 ppl say it was vs s2j...

Tink

Smash Hero
ya, im confused 0_0...id figure talking about the event to the stream, not to mention all the ppl that went(biggest road to apex afaik) would be good enough 0_o.

back on topic, this was such a fun event....i lost to the 2/4 place finishers and ended 9th somehow lolll. good ish to KK and johnny for being too good. this tourny was soo fun and shoutouts will come later.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
When I was planning this event a few months ago, I didn't even have plans for a stream. I was going to focus only on maximizing the tourney experience for everyone actually in attendance (that's still my stance; tourney comes first). Peef offered his streaming services and I happily agreed to put him in charge of everything stream-related with this tourney, because I didn't have the time or motivation to do it myself. Bottom line is, I personally had no obligation to go out of my way to advertise the words "Road to Apex" through any medium other than at the tournament itself. And I'm a little annoyed that I received several calls from people who believed otherwise... in the middle of the damn tourney when I was at my busiest.

Peef did an excellent job managing + promoting the stream, and I have no regrets at all about bringing him on board. If anyone wants to discuss this further, take it somewhere else. This thread deserves better than a fight over a non-tourney related detail. I've contacted Jungle and he will be deleting any more troll/flame posts on this subject. Why aren't we talking about the accomplishments of everyone who played great at this tourney? Come on.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
This was the greatest event that I've ever attended or helped plan/run since I became a member of this scene. Just a quick shout out to Rob for doing such an amazing job with providing the hype and getting **** planned out so that we were ready when we had to start doing everything yesterday. Also good job to everyone else that helped out, and everyone for being so cooperative!

real shoutouts comin soonl

alcheato

Smash Ace
Despite still being a bit sick, this was the most fun tourney I've ever been to.

Shoutouts to come later.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
This was the funnest, most professional, and most well-ran tournament I have ever been to and I've been to quite a few that haven't come close (including my own) LOL. Juggleguy is a seriousguy, and his doom squad of asians was always right there assisting him in keeping the tournament on schedule, and still finding time to help me keep the stream entertained with top-level matches. I can't say how many times the Indiana crew mentioned that this was the best and funnest tournament we had ever been to. All credit goes to Rob and his doom squad.

A couple numbers from the entire day of streaming:

Hours of streaming: 13
Total stream resets: 1
Maximum concurrent live viewership: 2400+
Total views: 300,000
How happy and honored I am to be a part of the most successful Smash stream ever: I can't possibly count that high =D

Thanks so very much to all of the viewers who just tuned in for 15 minutes, and of course those of you who sacrificed your whole Saturday for the hype. Thank you.

Real shoutouts coming soon as well

Dart!

Smash Master
Shoutouts to
Lovage and S2j for showing up and representing where the true power is.
KK and Unknown for coming to the tourney and ****** all the mw kids out there.
Raynex and Weon-x for being solid foxes and making me pull out my potential to win.
Duck for showing me that i have to bring my best or i will get stopped.
Reneblade because we're married.
Oro for driving....and being free :)
Peef for the streaming quality and such
Juggleguy and the TO staff for the well ran and successful tourney.

Overall: great tourney, i fizzled out. If i go to apex things will be different. IF i go.

Top Bottom