• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Yeah, you were literally the first Ganondorf I'd matched up against with Yoshi. I'm still trying to feel out my mains for this game so I switch characters a lot. Most of the games we had were pretty close but you definitely took the majority. Had I known back them that you could add friends from the win screen I would've.
My NNID is still ManLiGi.......on my account stuff....Anyway, don't really shoot me a friend request (if you were) as I said, my Wii U isn't on me. I would wait until March 21st ish or if you really want to try me on Feb 9th/10th. I dunno if I can or ever will get a capture card (money, frequency of uploads, and laziness).
My guardians as is, are making me having a console hell.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
My NNID is still ManLiGi.......on my account stuff....Anyway, don't really shoot me a friend request (if you were) as I said, my Wii U isn't on me. I would wait until March 21st ish or if you really want to try me on Feb 9th/10th. I dunno if I can or ever will get a capture card (money, frequency of uploads, and laziness).
My guardians as is, are making me having a console hell.
AH the struggles of being underage.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I am 19.....work and am trying to do well enough for med school....really didn't bring my wii u so I can focus.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Some videos of mine, finally got a capture card.
The first 30 seconds of this video I have no idea what I was doing. It was one of those zones where I could see everything 5 steps ahead. It just all happened and my body was just pressing buttons like it knew it was coming.

Second video here is of interest because it's interested that the first KO I got on Captain at 1:08, I avoid Captain Falcon's grab by pulling back for my smash attack. I had no idea this was an option for up close grabs, so I may try to use this technique more and more for grab happy players.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Some videos of mine, finally got a capture card.
The first 30 seconds of this video I have no idea what I was doing. It was one of those zones where I could see everything 5 steps ahead. It just all happened and my body was just pressing buttons like it knew it was coming.

Second video here is of interest because it's interested that the first KO I got on Captain at 1:08, I avoid Captain Falcon's grab by pulling back for my smash attack. I had no idea this was an option for up close grabs, so I may try to use this technique more and more for grab happy players.

Ok so first off, that beginning with all the reads and the quick kill was hilarious to see. Now I'm not exactly the best player ever but I'm gonna critique a bit here. Your gameplay was ok for the most part but the thing that irked me the most was the over use of rolling. You rolled at times when you didn't need to like st the :57 second mark and the 1:59 minute mark of the first vid. You had some more options like drop the shield and try for a grab or even just resetting the situation if you wanted to by jumping out of shield or try to space a bair or even just a pivot ftilt. The second vid all I can say is when falcon is out of stage I usually go for the gimp so try playing more off stage too. Again, I'm not the best but that's just my 2 cents.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Ok so first off, that beginning with all the reads and the quick kill was hilarious to see. Now I'm not exactly the best player ever but I'm gonna critique a bit here. Your gameplay was ok for the most part but the thing that irked me the most was the over use of rolling. You rolled at times when you didn't need to like st the :57 second mark and the 1:59 minute mark of the first vid. You had some more options like drop the shield and try for a grab or even just resetting the situation if you wanted to by jumping out of shield or try to space a bair or even just a pivot ftilt. The second vid all I can say is when falcon is out of stage I usually go for the gimp so try playing more off stage too. Again, I'm not the best but that's just my 2 cents.
I've tried playing more aggressive before, but I'm just not proficient enough with Ganon (he is like my #4 after Wario, Olimar, DHD) to trust chasing after someone too much, especially off the map when a slight error could lead to no recovery.
And the reason I roll a lot has more to do with deception and to keep them guessing where I may or may not be going. There are times where I go for a u-Air that I have no intention of connecting with, but the after effect is someone will try to charge me quickly and that's where I bring an f-tilt as they're running at me trying to grab or dash.

Also a reason I roll more than usual with Ganon compared to other characters I use, is because when I play someone like Mario or Captain Falcon, those who are really good with those characters love dash grabbing. Rolling is just one way for me to throw them off a little bit since I'm so slow. And spot dodging doesn't help at times because once I go for a tilt after a spot dodge, they dodge right back usually and grab me anyways.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
User name: jmanup85
In-Game name: jmanup85
3DS Friend Code: N/A at the moment
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: jmanup85
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Green

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
User name: jmanup85
In-Game name: jmanup85
3DS Friend Code: N/A at the moment
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: jmanup85
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Green
Let's play later. If you main Little Mac... I always enjoy matches against Little Mac with Ganon especially.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Let's play later. If you main Little Mac... I always enjoy matches against Little Mac with Ganon especially.
If I'm on I'll play you. I use both Little Mac and Ganondorf so I might end up using both

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
@ W WarioWaft It seems like this is something that most FG players do, but I feel like you roll too much. Perfect shields and spot dodges are so much better with Ganondorf. Also you need to mix up your out of side-b options a little more. When you start facing better players they will start teching Flame Choke and D-tilt follow ups won't be as effective. Instead you can try to re-command grab, grab, dash attack, Wiz Kick, jab, side tilt, side smash (in the other direction), short hop FAir. Try to read what they are doing and punish them for overusing one get up option.

Also I just want to see more Ganondorfs go off stage in general. Ganondorf's off stage ledge game is incredible.

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
@ W WarioWaft It seems like this is something that most FG players do, but I feel like you roll too much. Perfect shields and spot dodges are so much better with Ganondorf. Also you need to mix up your out of side-b options a little more. When you start facing better players they will start teching Flame Choke and D-tilt follow ups won't be as effective. Instead you can try to re-command grab, grab, dash attack, Wiz Kick, jab, side tilt, side smash (in the other direction), short hop FAir. Try to read what they are doing and punish them for overusing one get up option.
I'm fully aware of techs trust me. Just depends on how vested I am into a match. My own personal rule is see if they can get out of the first one. If the don't then follow up with a wizard kick if they roll out away, or roll back and follow up with another flame choke depending on if he uses attack get up or roll behind. All depends on the read. But since a lot of players haven't yet quite figured out the timing of the tech yet... I will enjoy the seamless transition from flame choke to d-tilt until they do.

Whenever I've played really really good Fox's, a spot dodge isn't too effective... because as soon as I follow up with a grab or tilt he's too fast to spot dodge right back... leaving me to just roll away anyways.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Vs Fox is fun. He has to play really respectfully against Ganondorf's range and priority. Furthermore Flame Choke combos eat him alive. He can punish you for being careless and lasers force you to be proactive but he doesn't have anything super abusive.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Most Fox's I've faced in FG love recovering onto the stage too much. Side B mostly, but sometimes they try firefox. The same applies to Falco. Those are super fun to read. You just fake like you're going to run to the edge to edgeguard them but then dash or jump back. They're usually pretty focused on recovering and once they see enough of a commitment, even if it's just a tapped dash forward, they'll try to punish with side B mostly if they think they can hit you. Even if you don't leap back far enough to avoid it, many of Ganon's moves can knock a spacey out of side B if timed properly. And because many spacies want to side B just inches over the stage surface to lower their landing time, you can time it relatively easily as well. I've ftilted, fsmashed, and upsmashed spacies out of side B this way a few times. Even more fun is when they try up B across the stage as a recovery. I've gotten a reverse warlock punish on that with proper baiting and spacing three times, and I'm a casual Ganon with no skills, lol. Thing is, most will also learn not to recover this way if you do this enough to them. It is surprising how often you still see it even from the same opponent you've punished before though. Good and more adaptable spacies will either just play it safe on the ledge or mix up the timing of their recoveries to get by you, especially if they start to get a read on you or think you're fishing for this punish strategy too much of course.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Most Fox's I've faced in FG love recovering onto the stage too much. Side B mostly, but sometimes they try firefox. The same applies to Falco.
Yeah I just recorded a replay against one of those Fox players. I two stocked him, though I was using a character I wasn't used to so it wasn't as easy as it should've been. I decided to pick up Falco because he was my melee main... Man I feel like to totally screwed him up in Brawl and Smash 4. Falco should be the aerial equivalent to Little Mac IMO. I miss short hop lasers.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yeah I just recorded a replay against one of those Fox players. I two stocked him, though I was using a character I wasn't used to so it wasn't as easy as it should've been. I decided to pick up Falco because he was my melee main... Man I feel like to totally screwed him up in Brawl and Smash 4. Falco should be the aerial equivalent to Little Mac IMO. I miss short hop lasers.
I love spiking and one of the things I've noticed most in Smash4 is the nerf to spikes in general. Falco's comes to mind. It's so slow now that it doesn't feel like a safe follow up to anything. It feels like a move you just have to read somebody to land. I've not practiced with Falco much at all I'll admit however, so maybe with practice I could see its utility. It doesn't seem to have any better power to compensate for it's slowness either. The timing for it just feels so wrong. That's what I miss from Brawl Falco even, not just Melee Falco.

Lots of other Dair spikes in particular feel really weird. Ike's dair. I still don't know where the spike is on that. It must be a small window in time and space now. There's a few moves characters have in Smash4 that just don't seem at all connected to what's supposedly hitting you. Meta Knight, for instance, seems to have lots of moves where his sword just goes through someone. Like the hitbox on the move is shorter and either later or earlier than it actually appears it should be. Not played Meta Knight hardly at all either though, so again I may just have to play around with him until I come to understand when the move actually hits. And then Marth... yeah. The shortened sword has really messed up what once was comfortable. Another thing that I'll just have to get used to. Rediscovering the spacing and timing on some of his moves. Dair in particular. And there we come back to the original point of the post, heh.

I mained Falcon in Melee and I miss his momentum still from that game. Brawl took it away and Smash4 seems to have done little to change that. Silly as even doing this is, I can no longer enjoy the ecstasy of aerial Falcon Punching the opponent off stage and off screen and still recover. In Brawl, Falcon just didn't seem to have the momentum to reach the screen edge for a epic punch anymore and even when you pushed him out there, he also didn't seem to have the guts to come back. A lot of times this was because to even reach the screen edge you needed your other jump, so aerial Falcon Punches of this kind were almost always a suicide mission. They were kind of this way in Melee too, but in Brawl punches were much easier to see coming and much harder to recover from and thus, much less successful. Now in Smash4, although Falcon seems to have a tad more of his momentum back, they slowed down the end lag on Falcon Punch. Your jump input to recover after using Falcon Punch takes a bit to register. It's really not safe after a single running short hop off the edge anymore. You can barely get back in most cases even though you're not pushing out as far as in Melee. It's because you're now dropping further. Admittedly, I've not checked the data on all these physics changes but this is just what I feel when I play. Could be the endlag on Falcon Punch hasn't changed from Brawl to Smash4, but when you input your jump after punching and get nothing, it sure feels like it has.

Last edited:

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
Finally finally! I've been itching to share more videos, and now I have some that are somewhat worthy of posting. I recently went to a local tournament hosted by Hungrybox, and my teammate and I got a really close 2nd in doubles, so I have 4 whole doubles sets to share from that. The main commentator says a lot of incorrect and off-topic things, but we thought he was generally funny and enjoyable for being a first-timer who is really new to the scene. I hope you guys enjoy. If you don't want to watch too much, start around game 2-3 of losers finals, and if you really don't want to watch a lot then start around game 5 losers. Ain't-got-time-for-that mode just watch the very last two matches I guess. ;p

Winners bracket vs. Ryo (Palutena/Ike) & suarsuar (Sheik) [W, L, W]:

Losers finals vs Hungrybox (Jigglypuff) & Apple (Captain Falcon) [L, W, W, L, W]:

Grand finals vs. Noa (Ness) & hiroi (Zero Suit Samus) [W, W, W, Reset, L, W, L, W, L]:

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
Tyty.

I should probably mention that I'm not looking for critiques btw. I feel like you often don't know enough from videos to really say much without more context. Feel free to chime in if you really want though, there can always be something to learn.

@Bloodynite I just watched a match you posted here, and your Ganon is the closest to my Ganon that I've seen so far. You seem to do a lot of the "fast Ganon" stuff better than me too. I still mess up a lot of buffers all the time. Keep it up!

Also that Pon vs. Pikachu set. Wow. That was a really impressive set unless Pon plays that person often. That Pikachu was sick, but as Ganons I think we all already know that that's how a lot of matches go against high-tiers. All their effort for nothing. ;)

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
hey guys. i had some pretty nice matches recorded recently. i've been focusing very heavily on melee within the past few months, but i actually got around to entering a smash 4 event for once. check out my matches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwdOEcgWcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qzAfDnVsE
Wow, that rule-set though... What happened in the last stock in that first Mario match? They made it sound like you smashed him in the frame 1 vulnerability of his snap, but it didn't look like that to me. More like you hit him in the very first frames of his invincibility just wearing off?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
hey guys. i had some pretty nice matches recorded recently. i've been focusing very heavily on melee within the past few months, but i actually got around to entering a smash 4 event for once. check out my matches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwdOEcgWcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qzAfDnVsE
The commentators don't know anything about Ganon...but you're decent and have good fundamentals. I would mostly N-air more because it's really good against Mario's approaches and a lot safer in this game than in previous games.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
The commentators don't know anything about Ganon...but you're decent and have good fundamentals. I would mostly N-air more because it's really good against Mario's approaches and a lot safer in this game than in previous games.
thanks man. i need stuff like that. really hoping to be the best ganondorf in this game also.

dude1286

Smash Rookie
User name: dude1286
In-Game name: dude1286
3DS Friend Code: (will come back to it)
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: dude1286
Country of Residence: 'Murica!
Palette Colour: Goldendorf

I would like some tips on my playing style. The video is not the greatest due to using my laptop's camera, but you should be able to see what is going on. I don't have any way of showing my Wii U due to not being able to capture HDMI, and also I don't want to show off anything until I get a way to play with a GC controller.

Can't post the video, but can be found by searching for thatdude1286 on youtube.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Finally managed to attend a local WiiU tournament, and have a few decent videos. Custom specials were allowed so in a lot of the matches I was using Wizard's Dropkick; I prefer the default of all the others. I'm certainly open to critique as well!

Vs Raziek (Robin), I enjoyed playing this set, it's a tricky match-up:

Vs Lamb (Luigi / Villager), had some frustrating SDs in the last couple games and dealing with Villager is annoying:

Vs Curly (Megaman), another interesting match-up, especially since I'd never seen some of his custom specials before:

Not gonna bother embedding the next ones cause the sets aren't as close and they're not as important to watch for critique or anything, just wanna dump some more gameplay/match-up examples:

Vs Captain Falcon / Meta Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFmz-aBAN8
Vs Jigglypuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00yxByuncro
Vs Pikachu / Mario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rti3KbuRL6Y
Vs Link / Ike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ht7CjyFSXo

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
At low percents, you can D-throw -> DA for 22 damage. Other than that against Raziek, I think you quickly realized that F-throw is really important to use on Ganon for the damage and simply putting people offstage.

Sometimes I felt you got too greedy for Flame Choke, and you also probably realized this mid set. Also you panicked against Arcfire on the ledge when often you could have simply waited it out.

Other than that, I believe you played very well.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Username: PSIBoy
In-game name: PSIBoy
3DS FC: PM me
NNID: PM me
Palette: Default or old
Message: Smash and reading are my favorite occupations in life

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
At low percents, you can D-throw -> DA for 22 damage. Other than that against Raziek, I think you quickly realized that F-throw is really important to use on Ganon for the damage and simply putting people offstage.

Sometimes I felt you got too greedy for Flame Choke, and you also probably realized this mid set. Also you panicked against Arcfire on the ledge when often you could have simply waited it out.

Other than that, I believe you played very well.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only things I could see. You adapted, though, so good work!

I've never placed highly enough at tournaments to be on stream, but my skills are improving quickly. Got 9th at my last tournament, and the players who defeated me both got 2nd place in doubles, which I take as a good sign. Hopefully someday soon, I'll be joining the rest of you in this great hall of kings.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcV7JlqmsRMFantastic Spike

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCj8TLr3YQChain Grabbing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jOKXLM7mS0Playing with a trampoline

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEPrDuT2JEChoked to death

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1JuqI9McQManiacal edge guarding

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EBGtMWMR8xAChoke disrespect

I welcome your thoughts or criticisms, I don't mind.

If anything it's for entertainment given the skill difference, closest thing I'll get to s highligh video lol.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
So, I finally recorded some wifi matches of my Ganondorf yesterday and got them uploaded. I really need more experience playing good opponents, but I did try to upload the videos of opponents who I felt were better than most.

There are a few others on the channel, but I don't want to drop them all off here at once.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
So, I finally recorded some wifi matches of my Ganondorf yesterday and got them uploaded. I really need more experience playing good opponents, but I did try to upload the videos of opponents who I felt were better than most.

There are a few others on the channel, but I don't want to drop them all off here at once.
Man, I did the Warlock Punch against D3's up-b, too. It was sooo satisfying. You have a solid 'dorf.

Minor nitpick: In the D3 match, I noticed that D3 was using a lot of shield, whenever you were in the air, likely because he feared your aerial attacks. You could have aerudo'd him or made an empty jump->grab, which is safer if he rolls away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom