• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I just have a thing that whenever I beat a top dorf I feel like I shouldn't have, sounds silly but idk.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Hey, sometimes you make good plays and they pay off. Even top players make mistakes (moreover those who aren't lucky enough to qualify as such, such as myself). :lick:

By the way, I'm free most of today, so if you want to play those dittos, we can do that today.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Hey, sometimes you make good plays and they pay off. Even top players make mistakes (moreover those who aren't lucky enough to qualify as such, such as myself). :lick:

By the way, I'm free most of today, so if you want to play those dittos, we can do that today.
You aren't qualified? I guess using Ganon makes that hard lol, sorry to hear that.

Would you like to go now?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
You aren't qualified? I guess using Ganon makes that hard lol, sorry to hear that.

Would you like to go now?
Whether I am or not, I can't say. If others think I am or not is probably a better indication than my own idea. I just don't like calling myself one thing or the other.

And yeah, we can go now. I'll go host.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Well I've only ever seen you with the titles of pro and top lol.

Joining

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if those were true. =P

Also, lemme try rehosting.
My sis is running a download that's almost done I found out, so once that's done it should run smoother.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I just have a thing that whenever I beat a top dorf I feel like I shouldn't have, sounds silly but idk.
The Ganon ditto while it takes a lot of skill, it can be hugely momentum oriented. If you know the matchup well and have down basic mindgames and mechanical fundamentals, it can be a very scary matchup for everyone.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ran out of replay room sadly.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Alrighty, last one, buddy. Then I should probably get some lunch.

Edit: Good games, Opa. By the way, do you have the c-stick attachment for your 3DS? I saw you doing ledgedrop > UAirs, but I can't do them on the 3DS without jumping first. Maybe it's just because I use tap-jump.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Great games, it's amazing how well you read lol. I tried to take your criticism to heart and not always be aggressive, and take a page from Z1GMA using moves when I don't think I'd be punished.

Those ledge trumps, I gotta start using them.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Great games, it's amazing how well you read lol. I tried to take your criticism to heart and not always be aggressive, and take a page from Z1GMA using moves when I don't think I'd be punished.

Those ledge trumps, I gotta start using them.
Thanks, Opa.

And I could tell! You used some really nice baits, and your aerials were much more deliberate. As for the trumps, they're definitely a big tool in Ganon's box. Strong as he is, taking the safety of the ledge away from someone is an intensely scary position. =P

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Thanks.

I actualy sded trying to avoid trump punishes, never realized how valuable they are.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The only downside to them is that they can sometimes backfire pretty badly. For instance, in one of our earlier matches, remember when I tried to trump you, but I got to the ledge before you did, so you trumped me and BAired me? Aye... that's one of the caveats. More often than not, I find trumping less effective as a direct answer, and more effective as a way to force a reaction.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I have really grown to love Utilt as a ledge option, I used to chase all the time but it's often too risky. I usually like grabbing the ledge before them and dropping with an uair, although you knew how to handle that well. I go for it regardless though as it can net me an early stock, and I'm getting good enough at teching where the reward is starting to outweigh the risk I feel.

I go for trumps if they happen to be close enough when I jump, and regardless of what they do bair, but aside from that I don't use them too much. Another option I use, depending on when I trump them, is a ledge hop into uair/bair.

I really like playing you guys, I'd love to play the rest of you at some point such as Ray and AZZOMG.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Vermanubis said:
Edit: Good games, Opa. By the way, do you have the c-stick attachment for your 3DS? I saw you doing ledgedrop > UAirs, but I can't do them on the 3DS without jumping first. Maybe it's just because I use tap-jump
I use tap jump too, and ledge drop uairing or sh uairing is quite possible. It requires fast finger skills though.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Alrighty, last one, buddy. Then I should probably get some lunch.

Edit: Good games, Opa. By the way, do you have the c-stick attachment for your 3DS? I saw you doing ledgedrop > UAirs, but I can't do them on the 3DS without jumping first. Maybe it's just because I use tap-jump.
I do not, although I don't use tap jump. Whenever I need to jump cancel something I just press X+A or Y+B for either the DS or my Classic Controller original.

I actually do similar finger movements for what would be required to uair out of a ledge drop, whenever I dtilt regardless of the situation I always lightly hold it to get it out faster and throw out dtilts somewhat unexpectedly from a stand still.

I don't use cstick on the U anymore as it soemtimes nairs for some reason, and it charges smashes which I'm not fond of. Playing the DS version has conditioned me. lol

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yeah, I've heard that the new buffering system is silly. Guess I'll just have to find a way to get those UAirs to come out another way. =P

Also, new set versus a Zelda

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Here's a vid of one of the friendly matches between me and jahkzheng.
Let's just Say I didn't deserve this win.

You'll want to watch it in high quality, since my tablet doesn't seem to get on well with this stages lighting.
Lol, wouldn't have nearly been as bad if that barrel at least threw me a bone at the end there. Instead it decided it wasn't taking any more Ganons and let me practically nearly fly right through it. I won't forget this slight DK barrel. Meanwhile, Sykka and the barrel are out honeymooning with my monies~

That was a nice read with the wizkick spike though. Fun matches. That one was the funniest though, heh.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Lol, wouldn't have nearly been as bad if that barrel at least threw me a bone at the end there. Instead it decided it wasn't taking any more Ganons and let me practically nearly fly right through it. I won't forget this slight DK barrel. Meanwhile, Sykka and the barrel are out honeymooning with my monies~

That was a nice read with the wizkick spike though. Fun matches. That one was the funniest though, heh.
Pfffthahaha, I just remembered that ten second point in FD where you just jabbed me as I spotdodged repeatedly xD

But yeah, we always have damn good matches, I should save more since our Ganon ditto's got so sweet at some points

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Do short clips qualify for this thread? If so, here's me wrecking a Pikachu with Super Armor:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Pfffthahaha, I just remembered that ten second point in FD where you just jabbed me as I spotdodged repeatedly xD

But yeah, we always have damn good matches, I should save more since our Ganon ditto's got so sweet at some points
I obviously have some of our matches saved... perhaps too many... nah, it's just all the other replays that I have too many of. I need to clear some more replays off my game unfortunately and I want to reserve some space for when I finally do my tourney match, sheesh.

I don't think it was reeaallly ten seconds but it sure felt like it. At least 6 spotdodges and jabs though I feel like before I tried ftilts instead and finally connected on the second one. Heh, maybe it was 10 seconds. I don't think I saved it to check though.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
@ Vermanubis Vermanubis That first match with all those chokes at the end was a thing of beauty. I hope I can play like that one day.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I went to my first Smash 4 tournament yesterday. It ran slowly due to there only being two setups, so I had to leave early. I made it to winner's semi's and lost to a Mega Man who got 2nd. I feel like I outplayed him, but he kept getting early kills by edgeguarding me with Dair; literally 4 out of 5 of his KOs in the set were from Dair. There's really not much Ganon can do about that move : / Oh well. I would have had to wait at least two hours to play my next set so I just took off since I had things to do that evening.

Here are the vids from the stream - http://www.twitch.tv/events2compete/b/607166140

vs Dicey (Mii Brawler) - 1:06:10
vs Kal El (Link) - 1:43:12
vs Ramen King (Mega Man) - 2:08:20

I'm pretty happy with these sets for the most part, considering the fact that this was the first time I ever played the Wii U version. I actually had a tough bracket all things considered (my only 3 opponents got 4th, 3rd, and 2nd respectively--I got 5th after forfeiting). I'll still enter tournaments when I can, though regretfully I admit that I'm enjoying PM and Melee more than Smash 4, so those will still be my main priority.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I went to my first Smash 4 tournament yesterday. It ran slowly due to there only being two setups, so I had to leave early. I made it to winner's semi's and lost to a Mega Man who got 2nd. I feel like I outplayed him, but he kept getting early kills by edgeguarding me with Dair; literally 4 out of 5 of his KOs in the set were from Dair. There's really not much Ganon can do about that move : / Oh well. I would have had to wait at least two hours to play my next set so I just took off since I had things to do that evening.

Here are the vids from the stream - http://www.twitch.tv/events2compete/b/607166140

vs Dicey (Mii Brawler) - 1:06:10
vs Kal El (Link) - 1:43:12
vs Ramen King (Mega Man) - 2:08:20

I'm pretty happy with these sets for the most part, considering the fact that this was the first time I ever played the Wii U version. I actually had a tough bracket all things considered (my only 3 opponents got 4th, 3rd, and 2nd respectively--I got 5th after forfeiting). I'll still enter tournaments when I can, though regretfully I admit that I'm enjoying PM and Melee more than Smash 4, so those will still be my main priority.
Yeah, I can tell you basically seemed very unfamiliar with the Wii-U Smash Bros. You have very good fundamental reading and reactions. On something like the Link matchup though, I'd recommend more D-tilts, Jab after Flame Choke, and just edgeguarding really aggressively with N-air/U-air.

Also, I quickly watched the first match against Mega Man, and I can tell you are not yet familiar with Ganon's recovery in this game. One thing to keep in mind is Mega Man's D-air actually doesn't have that much range. Consider his fullhop height, and it reaches just slightly further than that. You could have recovered much lower. Another thing to keep in mind is that airdodging in the air actually has much less commitment in this game. So you can actually avoid a lot of edgeguards easily by simply airdodging after your double jump.

And another thing you probably noticed is that you do not get pushed off the ledge while shielding. It takes some adjustment. It's a good idea to look for grabs against people who are near the edge given they can't roll backwards. In general grabbing with Ganondorf is a lot better, even though his grab range is still pretty bad, given the relative reward of grabbing for Ganon in this game is higher when other characters grab games got nerfed, and because putting people offstage or in bad positions with F-throw/D-throw is huge for Ganon when you can be more aggressive edgeguarding in this game because you don't fear getting edgehogged.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Anyone wants a few matches? (prefer Wii-U but 3DS is also cool)

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Yeah for sure, the lack of edgehogs in this game still does not compute for me. I'm sure there was a way I could have recovered in most of those cases where I would have avoided the Dair. I suppose I'll just have to experiment.

There may be a better thread to ask this, but are the flame choke followups--assuming they didn't tech--still relatively the same as Brawl? Is there a list or a graphic somewhere?

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Yeah for sure, the lack of edgehogs in this game still does not compute for me. I'm sure there was a way I could have recovered in most of those cases where I would have avoided the Dair. I suppose I'll just have to experiment.

There may be a better thread to ask this, but are the flame choke followups--assuming they didn't tech--still relatively the same as Brawl? Is there a list or a graphic somewhere?
http://smashboards.com/threads/missed-tech-flame-choke-followups-confirmed-by-japanese.373665/

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
User name: Scraptor
NNID: ScraptorBC

Country of Residence: Michigan, USA
Palette Colour:Dark Blue, Red/White, Old Man Ganon

I am new to the boards not new to smash. I have been playing since N64 but not competitive until now. Ganondorf is my main and if I am going to get better it is using him. I got so much info from you all so far and I am looking to get better. I will post some videos later so you can see how much work I need. Thanks in advance add me as a Wii U friend when you get a chance.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
User name: the king of murder
In-Game name: Dragongod
3DS Friend Code: 4656-7323-6978
Country of Residence: Germany
Palette Colour: Blooddorf(red)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Had the pleasure of fighting a really smart Japanese Mario last night. It's a bit lamentable that he SDs in one of these matches, but I really feel like it was worth putting up because the MU demo, I feel, is good.

Top Bottom