• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Is that for glory 3ds version? I never seem to get any battles with japanese players there. Also seeing that video, I really want to battle your incredible Ganon someday to improve my scrubby skills.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Thanks, man. And I'd be happy to play you someday. :colorful:

And yeah, it's the 3DS version. I notice the Japanese come around a lot late at night, probably because of the massive timezone difference.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Thanks, man. And I'd be happy to play you someday. :colorful:

And yeah, it's the 3DS version. I notice the Japanese come around a lot late at night, probably because of the massive timezone difference.
It's about a 14-17 hour difference from the United States. I tend to see them a lot between 12-10 AM here in California, which is about 4 PM to 2 AM for them.

Bloodynite

Smash Ace
This was a while back. Please note I only had owned the game for 2 weeks and have no adapter thus my only practice is on pad for this tourney so sorry for my lackluster performance.

Still I was content to placing 33rd in my first tourney in smash 4 out of 128 entrants.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
User name: Scarlet Jile
In-Game name: Jile
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: ScarletJile
Country of Residence: US (Maine)
Palette Colour: 7
Message: I'm isolated in a region with no real Smash 4 community to speak of, so I'd like to play some veteran 'Dorfs to learn as many tricks of the trade as I can.

[Edit: Fixed NNID)

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Now that I'm done grinding custom moves for good, now I'll focus on playing with people from SWF. All I do in the evenings anyway is play For Glory when I'm not doing real life or managing my tournament.

In-Game name: Anebriate
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: scarlet_jile
Message: I'm isolated in a region with no real Smash 4 community to speak of, so I'd like to play some veteran 'Dorfs to learn as many tricks of the trade as I can.
Add me. I can show you both my Ganondorf and other secondaries I play.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
In-Game name: Anebriate
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: scarlet_jile
While i'm not really that much of a veteran i would love to play some matches, i'll add you later on.

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
I will add you guys later after 5pm (eastern time). I really want some help with my Ganon I have a good win % on FG but when I go to Anther ladder or Dojo I am struggling to even get a set.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Now that I'm done grinding custom moves for good, now I'll focus on playing with people from SWF. All I do in the evenings anyway is play For Glory when I'm not doing real life or managing my tournament.

Add me. I can show you both my Ganondorf and other secondaries I play.
Will do. I wrote my NNID down wrong originally, anyway.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This was a while back. Please note I only had owned the game for 2 weeks and have no adapter thus my only practice is on pad for this tourney so sorry for my lackluster performance.

Still I was content to placing 33rd in my first tourney in smash 4 out of 128 entrants.

GG, Bloody. My only real critique would be against you using lots of Jabs after Gerudo on him. Dtilt is almost always a better option at low/mid %s, unless you're very close to the ledge.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Here are three recent games Vs ROB.
I would love to get some critique since he's one of my personal hardest MUs:

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
GG, Bloody. My only real critique would be against you using lots of Jabs after Gerudo on him. Dtilt is almost always a better option at low/mid %s, unless you're very close to the ledge.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Here are three recent games Vs ROB.
I would love to get some critique since he's one of my personal hardest MUs:

You played pretty well there, just one tip for the gyro, if you grab it & you just want to get rid of it fast throw it upwards, even if it is for a few seconds a gyroless R.O.B is a lot easier to deal with.
Do you have any tips yourself against R.O.B?
Edit: also forgot to add, you might want to wait a bit when R.O.B recovers, a lot of times it seems you went a bit too early & R.O.B either lasered you or recovered high, he can't do anything other than A attacks out of his Up-B, if you let him get closer to the stage while he's recovering he'll be in a very bad position.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Judging from just your first game Z1GMA, you were too aggressive.

I agree with A2ZOMG that Ganon may have a slight advantage over ROB.

You were letting him play his game, shielding on reaction and powershielding nulls most of ROBS' projectile game. You were too focused on getting in, when you don't have to worry as much as you did in Brawl. Go for those quick Ganon attacks when you have opportunity, and always try spacing with long ranged moves.

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Another thing I noticed (more of a general thing rather than a MU thing) was you tended to techroll away when getting chased. The occasional inward techroll throws off a lot of strings in my experience.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
GGs, Zig.

Here're the major things I noticed:

1. You were, like the others said, a bit aggressive. You didn't give yourself time to reposition after getting hit much of the time. That is, if you got hit, your immediate response was frequently to hit back. (though you did a good job)

2. You could have punished (or at least made him more cautious to use aerials so close) with OoS NAirs.

3. He approached almost exclusively with NAir. If a ROB hits your shield with NAir, they'll usually either roll or jab -- he rolled. If they hit you with it, they'll follow up. This was what I saw you get hit with the most.

Something I find really effective versus ROB is Aerudo. ROB's mobility isn't so great, and being a big target, if you have him on a platform (you did do an Aerudo against him on a platform which was great) or near the ledge, Aerudos are amazing to get by gyros and surprise them. Beyond that, I think against characters like ROB, the biggest thing is to find out out they react to things: jump-ins, airdodges, etc. Jump-in mixups are good vs ROB, I feel, and throwing SH BAirs to scare them is good, too. I wouldn't use BAir with the intent to go out of my way to hit, rather, just to send the message that he runs the risk of running into the Fist of Evil.

My MO in this MU is to get to about mid-range against ROB. This is where he's forced to either move away or start attacking. Then I'll either do jump-in mix-ups, or challenge his aggression.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Didn't know about that dark dive combo! Ganon the blender!

Also, you're from Ossipee? Damn. Seems like NH smashers are popping up left and right since I left. I used to live in Concord.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Didn't know about that dark dive combo! Ganon the blender!

Also, you're from Ossipee? Damn. Seems like NH smashers are popping up left and right since I left. I used to live in Concord.
Haha It's been awhile since I made this account I guess. I still live in NH but I like in New Durham now. Maybe the should be a NH smash weekly tourny =D. I'd come as often as possible (if only to lose round one or something)

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Do you have any tips yourself against R.O.B?
There are some tricks:
If you hit a gyro that's spinning on the ground, the active Attack Frames of your aerial attacks will stay out for hours.
This can catch him off guard in some scenarios. Very deadly with Dark Fists Sharking by the ledge.
Try it with aerial wizkick on stage as well.

Also, grounded gyros. When it makes you flinch just a bit you can buffer an aerudo off of it.

WDK is mad good in this MU. Unlike Wizkick, it clashes with his Nair and also hits him afterwards.

Last edited:

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
My first video for this thread.
This is from the tournament that I attended this month

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
@ Playat Playat if you drop below the stage and UpB with the right timing it's very hard to punish and the hitbox on Ganondorf's hand is not only very strong but huge. Also if you get the timing perfect you can do a drop-hop Fair ONTO the stage. Just be careful because you can accidentally do Dair pretty easily and that won't actually bring out a hitbox.

I also feel like you were leaning too hard on Side B DTilt. It's a good "combo" but you can tech it. I find it's good to mix it up. Try Side B-> Side B. If the opponent rolls away is neutral you can tech on a ton of damage. If you get the timing right on a get up attack you can also do Side B shorthop Fair. You can also catch players that start trying to roll behind you too often with DSmash.

Last edited:

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Oh I also have no idea how to fight against an aggressive ROB as Ganon. Any tips?

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
User name: Waldorf Gans
In-Game name: "Alter" or "Waldorf"
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Waldorf_Gans
Country of Residence: California, US
Palette Colour: Can't win unless I'm using 5
Message: I find my Dorf usually being best or second best in a room of smashers, however I'm uncertain where they stand on a skill spectrum so I need some outside opinion whether my Dorf is as formidable as I think. Maybe Ill pick up some new ATs along the way....

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh I also have no idea how to fight against an aggressive ROB as Ganon. Any tips?
Hold your ground. Focus on playing the midrange carefully. Your pokes have better range and damage than his, and it doesn't matter if he hits you a few times with F-air or DA, given his damage output is basically half of yours. Just generally speaking, you shouldn't be afraid of most of his non-projectile attacks as long as you establish a good reactive/defensive game. Eventually, you will have opportunities to juggle him or Flame Choke him, and you will have a much easier time killing him than the other way around.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Why didn't you inform of us this video @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG ?

Meaning, Pon did great.
That is the Ganondorf I aspire to be. That guy is my hero and now I'm even more psyched to learn even more about the Dorf. Especially since Pikachu is one of my worst match ups in the game. The Megaman match also shows me how to better deal with projectiles and such. I seriously can't believe people say there is no ledge or off stage play in this game.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice

I won't normally post such one sided games but this Captain Falcon was begging to be show who the real clone is.

I love flexing that off-stage ledge game muscle. Weak UpAir can "spike", and I got to pull one of those off for the first stock.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Why didn't you inform of us this video @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG ?

Meaning, Pon did great.
Good god, that Megaman looked really annoying, but that Pikachu... please no. Pon is amazing, no doubt, but I'm still wondering how he even won with that filthy Pika. I'd have lost hope after some of those combos, lol. He just hung in there and got a few good hits in and punished hard with hard reads for the most part. Not everyone can take advantage of these small windows of opportunity, and if he hadn't, these matches feel like they'd have gone the other way. Although, the Pika was very aggressive, so there was that to help with the reading part. I'll also add that his ledge play made me cringe. Seemed like it was just trying to put up a wall and not exactly hit anything which seemed risky but better than nothing perhaps. Maybe his options for guarding from the stage weren't as good. I'm not sure on the matchup to be honest. All I know is that every time he floated himself out there off the stage with uair, I feared the worst. I could see myself trying that too though, but much less successfully. That Pika though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Btw, anyone up for some Ganon dittos? I need to warm up for a planned match against Epicender assuming we finally get to that today. I don't see my usual warm up partner, Sykkamorre, and I haven't played in a month either.

I'll just alert Sykka this way, just in case.... @Sykkamorre

Edit: Didn't get my match with Epi done today unfortunately. This offer for some warmup matches applies to tomorrow, same time.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Maybe his options for guarding from the stage weren't as good. I'm not sure on the matchup to be honest. All I know is that every time he floated himself out there off the stage with uair, I feared the worst. I could see myself trying that too though, but much less successfully. That Pika though.
The back hitbox of ganondorf's UAir actually have a soft "spike" hitbox which I love to use. I actually think Ganondorf's off-stage game is one of the best in the game once you get used to it. He can go surprisingly deep and all of his aerials have amazing range and priority.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Nobody good lives close to me..... so these are are my vids from 12/27. I have improved since the recording, but criticism is still encouraged.
I have more on the way. These ones are just my murders.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Nobody good lives close to me..... so these are are my vids from 12/27. I have improved since the recording, but criticism is still encouraged.
I have more on the way. These ones are just my murders.
OMG I think I played you on FG. I uploaded our Yoshi V Ganondorf match.
Small freakin' world.

BTW you can buy a pretty cheap capture card like the one I got and get much better footage. It's no elgato but it's still not half bad link.

I personally use OBS and AmaRec in combination to get the footage. Just make sure you look up a youtube video on how to set up AmaRec as a video capture device and don't screen cap. If you do it as a screen cap the video will just disappear randomly and the audio will drop in and out.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The back hitbox of ganondorf's UAir actually have a soft "spike" hitbox which I love to use. I actually think Ganondorf's off-stage game is one of the best in the game once you get used to it. He can go surprisingly deep and all of his aerials have amazing range and priority.
Maybe I'm not seeing the deliberateness of his movements, but most of the time it doesn't appear as if he's trying to hit Pikachu. It seems more as if he was just making a wall to try and tease Pikachu into. Bit of an exaggerative analogy, but it's like standing in place jabbing and hoping the opponent runs into it... except you get gimped if your jab is interrupted. I know uair is a great edgeguarding tool with tipman and stage spikes. I know it's not even the only great tool he has off stage. But I also know he's fairly gimpable if you leave yourself vulnerable. That Pikachu had some scary tools off stage too and Pon's Ganon was just waving uairs out there. You can't argue with his results of course, but I think most people would be ill advised to try just waving a uair wall around offstage fishing for a Pikachu like that to run into it. I'd have just gotten back on stage against that Pikachu, lol... but then I'd probably have lost fantastically too. I'll reiterate though, maybe I'm not seeing the deliberateness of his movements. Could be that everyone of those uairs was aiming to hit Pikachu. It just didn't appear that way to me. We're talking about a pretty amazing Ganon though and perhaps I'm not supposed to know what I'm looking at, heh.

Edit: Well, I rewatched Pon's video a couple more times and have to admit that what I've been talking about doesn't really happen much at all. Maybe 4 times. And he never actually hangs from the ledge and drops off to uair aimlessly. I have no idea why this memory was so fixed in my mind though. As you can see from my paragraph above I really did feel I saw this. Must be that I saw it once or twice and it made such an impact that it exaggerated in my mind inadvertently. And by impact I mean that I remember being like, "oh jeez, don't go offstage like that against that Pika!" But then he did have that dair and uair kills and I didn't feel it then. So, basically, forgive my brain. Just a silly interpretation that wasn't even that accurate.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
OMG I think I played you on FG. I uploaded our Yoshi V Ganondorf match.
Small freakin' world.

BTW you can buy a pretty cheap capture card like the one I got and get much better footage. It's no elgato but it's still not half bad link.

I personally use OBS and AmaRec in combination to get the footage. Just make sure you look up a youtube video on how to set up AmaRec as a video capture device and don't screen cap. If you do it as a screen cap the video will just disappear randomly and the audio will drop in and out.
Dunno when that happened, but I made so many mistakes in that match.....ugh. I had that too. Anyway, needless to say, I've progressed. I remember saving some games of you, but I still don't remember who held the record in the end (my personal bias/ego leads me to conclude that I won whatever form of a "set"). We should rematch. I remember though, you didn't use Egg throw a lot. Use it. Also, here this match with a Peach that in the match before, 2 stocked me. I 2 stocked this Peach in the preceding match only to have the Peach beat me in the next match.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Btw, anyone up for some Ganon dittos? I need to warm up for a planned match against Epicender assuming we finally get to that today. I don't see my usual warm up partner, Sykkamorre, and I haven't played in a month either.

I'll just alert Sykka this way, just in case.... @Sykkamorre
This offer applies for today.

Edit:

Or it did. Just did my tourney matches with Epi unwarm a couple hours ago, but it went well.

Hey Sykka... you should upload your Gungnir matches so I can see, heh. Not that it would help me any~

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Thanks, dude. :colorful:

I'm positive that you're capable of playing just as well, and frankly, even better!
I actually got a replay saved of me getting 5 - 6 consecutive chokes lol. However, I'm still inexperienced in other facets of Ganon's game so I wanna learn more ledge play and more patience and just...more stuff. Honestly I feel that I just need a brush up on Shffl's and other techs like that since I tend to forget they exist sometimes. But I believe Ganondorf has amazing potential to be high tier simply because his positives far outweigh the negatives once you learn him.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Dunno when that happened, but I made so many mistakes in that match.....ugh. I had that too. Anyway, needless to say, I've progressed. I remember saving some games of you, but I still don't remember who held the record in the end (my personal bias/ego leads me to conclude that I won whatever form of a "set"). We should rematch. I remember though, you didn't use Egg throw a lot. Use it.[/media]
Yeah, you were literally the first Ganondorf I'd matched up against with Yoshi. I'm still trying to feel out my mains for this game so I switch characters a lot. Most of the games we had were pretty close but you definitely took the majority. Had I known back them that you could add friends from the win screen I would've.

Top Bottom