• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah good point lol

We should play sometime, I like taking from all dorfs I mirror and being a utility man of sorts.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
That would be great! Though I must confess, as in many things, I am a lofty theorist at best. I have been practicing tech skill as much as I can, but between work, commissions, and financial management I get little time to devote to playing and barely get to play real people.

But enough with the Johns! I will probably be open next week sometime, afternoon and evening (EST). Monday's bad because my brother is home from work (he lives in our basement and helps with bills) and he usually saps about half of what little interbuttz we have. Any other day should work, though.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I whole-heartedly agree. It's one of my favorite moves and I'm always trying to find ways to exploit it. DJ AC Dair has been proving devastating on BF. Against another Ganon, starting at 0% I got uthrow>DJ AC Dair> FH AC Dair>SH Dair (fade off platform). From 0 to 64 in under 5 seconds.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
His approach and roll reads are pretty spot on with dair. The fundamentals of the game don't leave you between Smash iterations. Was funny to see him going for some of those moves. Smashes and punches and stuff. Also seemed like he either didn't know some details of gameplay or perhaps didn't care. He was playing stupid, but being Bizarro that scared the Pac-Man I think.

But, ew, those Youtube comments. Shouldn't have looked. That said, Bizarro is incredible to watch in Melee and this wasn't the same at all, although still entertaining, heh. His Melee Ganon is sexy. His Smash 4 Ganon doesn't give a crap and has no subtlety... unrefined in a "charming" way. At least that's how I judge it after seeing just two matches.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD_l9EqjaoE

I saw this match of @Bizzarro Flame and his skills are quite evident. Also as I've been explaining earlier in the competitive discussion thread, people don't expect the D-air when everyone is more afraid of Ganon's horizontal spacing tools instead. D-air is quite a useful tool to space with as a result.
Woah man, how he used Dair was great, even though I know he likes to use them because of Melee plus these Flame Choke reads are sick.

Also, if Bizz plays Smash 4, he actually has a valid reason to use U-tilt now:awesome:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I like fhff dair as a sort of anti air/bait move. Delayed dair from sh is something I'm trying to incorporate as well.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I agree that dair isn't as bad as I first thought. It's actually pretty neat if you do know what you're doing.

I wonder if there's ever an update, the lag on dair could be reduced. That alone can make Ganon much more versatile and essentially a better character.

https://twitter.com/ganon_gungnir/status/566699631254306816

A good example of how good the move can be ^.

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
An epic video showing me playing Ganondorf. Comments will be very much appreciated :)

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I agree that dair isn't as bad as I first thought. It's actually pretty neat if you do know what you're doing.

I wonder if there's ever an update, the lag on dair could be reduced. That alone can make Ganon much more versatile and essentially a better character.

https://twitter.com/ganon_gungnir/status/566699631254306816

A good example of how good the move can be ^.
Is that the new combo Gungnir talked about?

An epic video showing me playing Ganondorf. Comments will be very much appreciated :)

Sadly, I don't have much to say, but nice usage of U-tilts.

That Robin player thinks it's at least 70:30 in Robin's favor? He thinks they have that much of an advantage?..... It's no wonder you roflstomped him, this guy really doesn't know anything about Ganon which is evident when he went offstage against you, right when you are about recover with choke.(Not discrediting you, though)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Asked a question a while ago in the replay sharing thread, but I imagine it was lost in my post. Still curious about it though, so I thought I'd ask again in this relevant thread...

"When shopping for video capture devices is there a nice option that works on both Wii U and 3DS? I guess the 3DS is kind of a special case and not as important to me as my Wii U, but still, that option would be sweet"

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Just attended and won 2nd place in a local tourney as Ganon(almost). Any tips for a fellow ganon player here on lucario?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Just attended and won 2nd place in a local tourney as Ganon(almost). Any tips for a fellow ganon player here on lucario?
Don't spotdodge at all. Don't be too predictable with rolls. Don't commit to any approach unless you're more than certain it'll work out. When you land, don't land with attacks unless he's in a lag state; roll away upon landing.

Those were the do nots.

I think Ganon actually beats Lucario by 55:45, if not neutral.

There's a tournament match front page of Gungnir playing Lucario.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The more I watch that match of myself, the more I dislike it. =P I make so many stupid errors because I had to use a little 3DS, when I normally use an XL.
Yeah, I felt like the games against Dr Robotnik were more representative of your skill and played noticeably more optimally.

When you eventually find the ability to afford a Wii-U, I recommend investing in a Pro Controller instead of a GCN adapter personally. Pro Controller is superior to GCN controller in terms of accessible button layout and potential customization options. After you edit it to your preferences, you won't miss the GCN controller as far as I'm concerned.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh he actually used that instead? The more you know. I used GCN controllers in Brawl because that's what I had, and now with the Wii-U and the difficulty of finding adapters, I saw the light (or darkness) associated with Pro Controllers.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Oh he actually used that instead? The more you know. I used GCN controllers in Brawl because that's what I had, and now with the Wii-U and the difficulty of finding adapters, I saw the light (or darkness) associated with Pro Controllers.
I got the GCN controller adapter and a controller with my pre-order of Smash 4 for 30 extra dollars. Everywhere I look, pro controllers are 50 dollars. I want one, but the choice to get the adapter and an extra GNC controller on top of the 3 or 4 I already had for cheaper, seemed like a no brainer. Didn't realize until later that I was lucky to get the adapter at all. Still plan to get a pro controller for more reasons than just Smash at some point down the road.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yessir, I used the CC back in Brawl. Then I was forced to switch to the GC controller mid-Apex 2012 because my CC broke, and literally no one at the venue had a spare.

I'll probably end up using the Pro for WiiU, for a number of reasons. I like the layout of the 3DS, and honestly, I like the analog stick, which is closest to the WiiU pro. Secondly, I don't like how springy the shoulder buttons are on the GC pad. Thirdly, I really don't like not being able to SH UAir, or reverse UAir offstage. I'm comfortable with the 3DS controller now, but it's definitely limiting.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Ahah, I knew there would be some unknown development that would render my knowledge obsolete. Oh well. I tried using a WiiU Pro but just couldn't due to the placement of the sticks. I can never switch from flicking my thumb down to the C-stick to flicking it up... also, the grip required causes my hands to cramp up after moderate use. Hope it works out for you, though, whenever that happens. My CCPs are still going strong so I didn't have to make any extra investment when I finally got a WiiU and Smash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I got the GCN controller adapter and a controller with my pre-order of Smash 4 for 30 extra dollars. Everywhere I look, pro controllers are 50 dollars. I want one, but the choice to get the adapter and an extra GNC controller on top of the 3 or 4 I already had for cheaper, seemed like a no brainer. Didn't realize until later that I was lucky to get the adapter at all. Still plan to get a pro controller for more reasons than just Smash at some point down the road.
Ordering them from Japan can be a bit cheaper without any downsides.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
At first I was skeptical about actually saving money here, but then I saw the "free shipping". Thanks for the link.

Not shopping right now though. Too many things to buy and not enough money. Don't actually need a pro controller given my situation. I more want to buy a capture card for my Wii U and possibly 3DS if I can get one that works for both things. Also, a New 3DS XL because I really want to play the new Monster Hunter with the freedom of a c-stick and a larger screen. I love that series, but I've not bought the game because I want to wait. It's been hard hearing my friends talk about it already.

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
Hey, anyone down for some matches this evening? I'm back from my trip, finally over the stomach bug that followed, and I've got some time for matches in between these comic pages I need to work on!

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Hey, anyone down for some matches this evening? I'm back from my trip, finally over the stomach bug that followed, and I've got some time for matches in between these comic pages I need to work on!
I'm up, can you play now?

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
Good games adom, those were some fun times! Those matches had me gigglin' like a little girl, it was good to fight ya!

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Good games adom, those were some fun times! Those matches had me gigglin' like a little girl, it was good to fight ya!
Same here, my all out attack + critical hits dorf needed some sacrifices anyway :yeahboi:

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
Best thing about Customs? It feels so good to Thunderstorm again...!

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
User name: Blobface
In-Game name: Bob
3DS Friend Code: To be added
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: everyone1 (Bob)
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Purpledorf
Message: I'd like to request that we start calling Ganondorf's D-air the "Gannon Ban"
also I'm not totally sure I go the ID right. If anyone has problems adding me, let me know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom