• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Shog's write-up's really solid. The only thing I really have to add is that you need to become more comfortable throwing out Ganon's aerials. Staying grounded with Ganon's like using a hammer to crack a walnut. All of these relatively safe aerials that deal tons of damage and knockback. So yeah, my addition is to work on aerials more.

Also, finally got my hands on a 3DS again, so I can start putting stuff up again. Here's a recent one against a Japanese Bowser Jr.:

I should be getting a WiiU soon, too. How nice it'll be to finally have UAir back again.
Thanks. I'll grow some wings

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
I played in my first online tournament on Sunday made top 8 out of 16. I posted my matches here.

Round 1 fought a Ness dominated this set won 2-0 http://youtu.be/ZRCDRTcvzlk

Round 2 played a Sonic I wasn't patient enough this was the 2nd match only. I played better but couldn't get in enough on him http://youtu.be/apTtctz84H8

Round 3 played a Kirby/Link match he started Kirby I won then he switch to Link I lost and I thought about changing but stuck with Ganondorf http://youtu.be/Xta9Rz1PnTE

Round 4 played a Fox/Falcon match I let him get to much of an early lead with Fox then I felt like I made the mistake of not asking if he was going Fox again because he switched to Falcon and that threw me off because I was ready for Fox but it shouldnt have mattered I should done better against Falcon anyway made a bunch of mistakes there. http://youtu.be/9jxoJYTl0AM

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I played in my first online tournament on Sunday made top 8 out of 16. I posted my matches here.

Round 2 played a Sonic I wasn't patient enough this was the 2nd match only. I played better but couldn't get in enough on him http://youtu.be/apTtctz84H8

Round 3 played a Kirby/Link match he started Kirby I won then he switch to Link I lost and I thought about changing but stuck with Ganondorf http://youtu.be/Xta9Rz1PnTE

Round 4 played a Fox/Falcon match I let him get to much of an early lead with Fox then I felt like I made the mistake of not asking if he was going Fox again because he switched to Falcon and that threw me off because I was ready for Fox but it shouldnt have mattered I should done better against Falcon anyway made a bunch of mistakes there. http://youtu.be/9jxoJYTl0AM

Very nice.

There are a decent number of things to point out, but I feel for right now, the most important one is to work on your movement. Most of the time when you attacked, you stopped, then attacked. In other words, I noticed you would run, then stop, then do a move, then run, then stop, then do a move. I think a lot of this can be remedied by, similar to Kyzon, developing your air game a bit more.

Beyond that, there are a lot of opportunities for strong punishes that you may not be aware of. For example, in the Ness match, a lot of the times when he was recovering, you did UTilt, even when we has above the stage. UTilt's got its applications, but it's definitely a pick your fights kinda deal. =P

On a good note, your ability to read is certainly present. Now the thing is to develop the mechanics necessary to act upon reads of progressively higher technical demand.

Against Fox in particular, patience is a virtue in this MU which can't be overstated. You tended to run in without giving yourself time to breathe. These kinds of MUs require Ganon to move a lot and manipulate their movement patterns, which by extension requires some airtime, e.g. empty short hops, empty jumps, dash, shield roll baits, etc. Also, don't be afraid to spam aerials aggressively under platforms. :colorful:

Also, for anyone interested, here're a few more from me:

vs. Jiggles

vs. Pika

Last edited:

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
@ Vermanubis Vermanubis
Thanks!
I soon as I read that I realized I do that run stop thing. I really want to get a flow to my gameplay. I will focus on getting gin the air more. I will make a new profile to track what I am doing in the air.

Well specifically the utilt and I have some history. I played smash since 64 never competitively so when I mained Gaondorf since Melee I hated Utilt and basically avoided using it. I relied heavy on the Cstick for Usmash. So for Smash4 I realized that I was using the Cstick as a crutch and my tilt game was very weak. I then switch the Cstick to Attacks and tried to avoid using it and focus on the getting tilt and smashes when I need to without the Cstick. Now that I have a handle on that and realized what Utilt can do I made it an asset rather than a liability. I love hitting people with the Utilt but I need to work on my off stage edgeguarding but it feels so good to land that Utilt.

I am glad to hear that am showing progress on my reads. Is there a mechanic that I can focus on to work on my technical game?

Yeah I realized that I was too aggressive in that game. Watching your jiggly match and I am in awe of the advancing and retreating Nairs and Fairs. I see what you are talking about and back flips and empty jumps. I have to work that into my game.
That Usmash on Pikachu I love hitting those people think that cant be hit. I have been trying to hit those grounded aerials like the Dair you finished him off. My timing seems to be off to hit those Dair,Fair, and Uairs.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619

Ok, can I just say how freakin' cool it was that the bass dropped right when the hitbox for Warlock Punch came out? Would've been even more epic if it had landed.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
So, I'm sure most of you have seen these before since one of them is pretty old now. Been enjoying watching them more than once over the past week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJ__thfZl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0lYCjMu_k

Nothing special here really. Mostly just your typical montage of Ganondorf pulling of utilts and punches on people that didn't know what they were doing. What makes this fun though is the editing. It's well done and amusing. Good music choices too. Every time I watch these I always get a chuckle or two out of it.. or three. The second one is the newer and more interesting of the two imo since it has more variation and skill involved in the kill moves.

Just watched the second one again. That part with Link getting screen KO'd... now I wish Link had that OoT voice acting so I could hear that everytime I KO'd a Link, heh.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I never heard of this player, so I'm assuming he's new. OP's Ganondorf vs. Joraffe's Pac-Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh7uieUl2T8.
"Ganondorf is one of those rare characters. When you see a Ganondorf they're either really good or they're playing the character to the best of their abilities. Which is not to say that they are bad, they just haven't mastered all of Ganondorf's techniques."

This... is a really confusing and nonsensical statement I feel. Who has mastered all of his techniques? Gungnir has put in the most work but not even he could claim that. I don't think any player of any character can truly claim that. So it's certainly not "rare". Plus it seems to imply that anyone that's not mastered "all his techniques" is simply average.

Silly commentators. I bet I'd say something silly like this too if I was just trying to commentate on the fly. Seems if he had more time to think about what he was saying he'd have worded it better.

So I guess this is the same Pac-Man that Bizzaro toyed with, huh. The Ganon here isn't terribly remarkable. Maybe sneakily effective. I easily see more technical looking Ganons out of top tier Ganon's on this character board. This guy threw out moves and rolled more than I'm used to seeing. But this sort of tactic worked against this Pac-Man before, so. Still better than me, just commenting on what I'm used to seeing and his choices. Nice to see Ganon getting some more people repping him.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
"Ganondorf is one of those rare characters. When you see a Ganondorf they're either really good or they're playing the character to the best of their abilities. Which is not to say that they are bad, they just haven't mastered all of Ganondorf's techniques."

This... is a really confusing and nonsensical statement I feel. Who has mastered all of his techniques? Gungnir has put in the most work but not even he could claim that. I don't think any player of any character can truly claim that. So it's certainly not "rare". Plus it seems to imply that anyone that's not mastered "all his techniques" is simply average.

Silly commentators. I bet I'd say something silly like this too if I was just trying to commentate on the fly. Seems if he had more time to think about what he was saying he'd have worded it better.

So I guess this is the same Pac-Man that Bizzaro toyed with, huh. The Ganon here isn't terribly remarkable. Maybe sneakily effective. I easily see more technical looking Ganons out of top tier Ganon's on this character board. This guy threw out moves and rolled more than I'm used to seeing. But this sort of tactic worked against this Pac-Man before, so. Still better than me, just commenting on what I'm used to seeing and his choices. Nice to see Ganon getting some more people repping him.
Funny, because in Germ's Mega Man vs. Jimber Jangers's Luigi, the commentators note how different play styles are good and interesting and in Rice's Greninja and Fox vs. Big Sean's Bowser, they note how people promoting other characters is good for game since there would be more variety. So, yeah... They're saying stuff on the fly, but at least they don't make drastic, opinionated statements like what happened at KiT where Falco was said to not have any edgeguard or kill tools aside from Bair and Side Smash... These guys do make counterpoints or mention that to their knowledge, they don't know a character's techniques and how they work. Anyway, I digress.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Funny, because in Germ's Mega Man vs. Jimber Jangers's Luigi, the commentators note how different play styles are good and interesting and in Rice's Greninja and Fox vs. Big Sean's Bowser, they note how people promoting other characters is good for game since there would be more variety. So, yeah... They're saying stuff on the fly, but at least they don't make drastic, opinionated statements like what happened at KiT where Falco was said to not have any edgeguard or kill tools aside from Bair and Side Smash... These guys do make counterpoints or mention that to their knowledge, they don't know a character's techniques and how they work. Anyway, I digress.
It was mostly just that particular quoted part that struck me. Was just awkward. I think it could've made more sense if he had a chance to organize his thoughts there.

Flubz

Smash Rookie
Some videos of mine, finally got a capture card.
The first 30 seconds of this video I have no idea what I was doing. It was one of those zones where I could see everything 5 steps ahead. It just all happened and my body was just pressing buttons like it knew it was coming.

Second video here is of interest because it's interested that the first KO I got on Captain at 1:08, I avoid Captain Falcon's grab by pulling back for my smash attack. I had no idea this was an option for up close grabs, so I may try to use this technique more and more for grab happy players.

I'm pretty sure this Falcon is me lol
Might not be, but I do use Hawt Falcon and this is exactly how I play... If you remember that far back, my name is Ian. I remember having some pretty good matches with a Ganon recently

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
From kousetsukitsune's channel; he's LuminareFox and primarily plays Ike and these are matches from his streams.

Brenton's Ganondorf vs Ike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaF7iA1bGdg. The music is so good! ... I wished I had a Wii U...

PLX's Ganondorf vs. Ike: [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], and [7]. There's no sound for the first 5 videos, unfortunately.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm I suggested to Papaya that he contribute his information to this thread. He gave me this.

In general he's quite interested in proving himself on the Ganon Tier List. Eventually I would certainly like to see what your analysis of him is like. I already told you my opinions, but you have played against more people than I have, so your comparisons are interesting.

User name: Papaya
In-Game name: ぱぱいや(Papaiya)
3DS : None
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: gtanaka
Country of Residence: Japan
Palette Colour: Normal
Message: I'm Ganondorf from WiiU. It was done, but brawl isn't doing 3DS. I wish to play me with overseas Ganondorf.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm I suggested to Papaya that he contribute his information to this thread. He gave me this.

In general he's quite interested in proving himself on the Ganon Tier List. Eventually I would certainly like to see what your analysis of him is like. I already told you my opinions, but you have played against more people than I have, so your comparisons are interesting.

User name: Papaya
In-Game name: ぱぱいや(Papaiya)
3DS : None
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: gtanaka
Country of Residence: Japan
Palette Colour: blue
Message: I'm Ganondorf from WiiU. It was done, but brawl isn't doing 3DS. I wish to play me with overseas Ganondorf.
I would love to play against him, does he speak english well enough?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
http://www.twitch.tv/zero/v/3908584

I ran into Zero, on for glory and played 4 matches. He was streaming so you can watch, starts at 7 minutes and ends at 22. I was really close to winning the last game, I was Ganondorf and he was Sheik.

As always open to thoughts, criticisms, etc. etc.

Reaperr

Smash Rookie
NNID
wryBread
Hey guys, been lurking this board for a few weeks now and am looking for some people to practice with. Two big things I need to work on are my spacing and patience when approaching. Anyone who doesn't mind practicing with me, just shoot me a message!

User name: Reapper
In-Game name: Reaper
3DS Friend Code: N/A
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: wryBread
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Old Ganondorf

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
@ Opana Opana Good stuff. That last one was really close. It looked like you could have grabbed him in that neutral exchange at the end. Those dang needles seemed to be how he got most of the damage on you in most of the matches. Those Fair? juggles were rough. Is that a true combo on Ganon? On that chain grab you got him were you just trying to put more damage on, or wanted to see how many times you could do it? Either way it was great. I was thinking dang how can you follow it up and kill him after that.

Can Sheik be hit when she disappears for her up B like Fox and Pikachu can when they disappear?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I noticed more mistakes than I'd like, so I probably did miss key opportunitys to maybe win at least the last one. Needles were more of a mind game/interruption imo, they do so little damage although the amount of full charged ones he got on me may have added a good %. Idk if it's true, I mean it seems like it as it comes out faster than our moves, pretty sure I couldn't air dodge or jump before it struck either but it was just so fast it's hard to recall lol. You mean the chain choke? That was definitely damage, it's hard to land those hits so I saw turned to chokes as it does good damage and has great potential. I probably should've used f/dtilt.

Only briefly during start up before it has invincibility frames, unsure if we can hit before they reappear or right after though. Pretty sure for Palutena if they try and grab the ledge with Warp we can hit them before that, so it's worth a look although unlikely due to the hitbox Sheik produces.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Some very useful advice and techniques that could help Ganon greatly against projectile users;

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
OP bringing that Ganondorf hype at Come and Ban #11! OP's Ganondorf vs. Topgun's Dr. Mario and Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVd2zb0Y1A8.

OP does need to roll a bit less, but he shows a lot of promise and it's fun to see more Ganondorfs at tournaments and this video is proof that you need to be careful against him or else.

Edit: Does Flame Choke to Ftilt usually work or it a missed tech and/or timing thing? OP does it at around 0:51.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
OP bringing that Ganondorf hype at Come and Ban #11! OP's Ganondorf vs. Topgun's Dr. Mario and Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVd2zb0Y1A8.

OP does need to roll a bit less, but he shows a lot of promise and it's fun to see more Ganondorfs at tournaments and this video is proof that you need to be careful against him or else.

Edit: Does Flame Choke to Ftilt usually work or it a missed tech and/or timing thing? OP does it at around 0:51.
Flame Choke to F-tilt is guaranteed off a missed tech on 25 characters IIRC, and I know Doc is one of them.

Also, that shield break.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
On a missed tech it works against certain characters mainly against characters who have a broad body on the ground like Kirby, Bowser ect..

If the opponent techs in place F-tilt always works except Shiek because **** her Jab.

Edit: ^Also about anyone who has a frame 1 jab

Here is a of list non tech choke.
http://i.imgur.com/9LhItgJ.png

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
When I was watching the first match, I was wondering "why would Ffamran post video of a character losing on that characters board?"

Then Pon combo'd Lucina to 62% from 0% on her second stock and killed her with a stomp.

Ganondorf doesn't hit like a truck. Nor does he hit like a train. He hits like a planetary collision.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hey, I post whatever videos so long as they're not stupid in a bad way like, I wouldn't post a video of Ganondorf spamming Up Smash unless it was done as a parody. Losing and seeing people lose, you can learn about losses which while is annoying seeing your character get bodied, isn't that bad if you can learn from it. The Yoshi videos that I found usually ends up with Yoshi losing, but there's still something to gain from it by looking at different matchups and noticing things you shouldn't or should be doing in a matchup or a fight in general. For one, like you said, Ganondorf can get bodied all he wants, but the wrong mistake like leaving an opening or being really predictable and Ganondorf will wreck you.

And this is the only Ganondorf on United French Smashers; Teigi's Ganondorf and Fox vs. Toshiro's Zelda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhE4Pg2fys. Audio's desynced if I remember correctly.

Also, sometimes, I don't even watch the video and if I do, I might skim them. :p

Last edited:

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
User name: Kyogokudo
In-Game name: Gintoki62
3DS Friend Code: 0301-9917-1099
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: yoshiboo62
Country of Residence: France
Palette Color: Default
Message: I am nothing but a rookie in the path of evil. I would be honored if my lord would consider me as an useful pawn.

I'd love to improve and as such I'm open to ditto matches so I can finally see the true power of Ganondorf. I only play on Wii U though and for now I don't have a capture card or anything good to record my matches.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
User name: Kyogokudo
In-Game name: Gintoki62
3DS Friend Code: 0301-9917-1099
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: yoshiboo62
Country of Residence: France
Palette Color: Default
Message: I am nothing but a rookie in the path of evil. I would be honored if my lord would consider me as an useful pawn.

I'd love to improve and as such I'm open to ditto matches so I can finally see the true power of Ganondorf. I only play on Wii U though and for now I don't have a capture card or anything good to record my matches.
I'll take friend requests from any Ganon players, but given you live in France, I guess the question is when would you be normally available?

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
I'll take friend requests from any Ganon players, but given you live in France, I guess the question is when would you be normally available?
That's the problem. It seems most of the USA players are on when it's night for me. I can only say for my timezone, which is UTC +1. I'd say that I'm often here around 16:30 (4:30 PM I believe) until 21:00. It's quite hard to give a specific time. I don't have much to do tomorrow so there's a slight chance you could find me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's the problem. It seems most of the USA players are on when it's night for me. I can only say for my timezone, which is UTC +1. I'd say that I'm often here around 16:30 (4:30 PM I believe) until 21:00. It's quite hard to give a specific time. I don't have much to do tomorrow so there's a slight chance you could find me.
Depending on what day it is (today and tomorrow aren't ideal), I could make most times work. If you are available Wednesday around 17:00 your time, I could get in some games.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481

That moment when Shield break "WTF IS GOING ON"

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
That moment when Shield break "WTF IS GOING ON"
"Wizard punch"
Arrrrrgh

Nah, in all seriousness it's silly to expect commentators to get every move name right and sillier to get annoyed about it, but hearing a move that can instantly kill you called "wizard punch" causes some serious cognitive dissonance.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Some very useful advice and techniques that could help Ganon greatly against projectile users;

Well done video there. High quality, well presented, and useful. I'll have to keep an eye on this channel cuz why not.

When I was watching the first match, I was wondering "why would Ffamran post video of a character losing on that characters board?"

Then Pon combo'd Lucina to 62% from 0% on her second stock and killed her with a stomp.

Ganondorf doesn't hit like a truck. Nor does he hit like a train. He hits like a planetary collision.
That's Ganon for you... but also, that's Pon for you. Reminds me of those Pikachu matches he had. That Pika was scary as hell...

https://youtu.be/IvU5RQ-nJog?t=5m

Watch that. There's every reason to believe Pika should win both of those matches. The matchup simply seems bad for Ganon especially in capable hands. Pon pulls them out though in fantastic fashion. A must watch if you haven't seen them already. I mean, if you liked the Lucina match, you'll like this. It's more dire and ridiculous.

Btw, Pon looked like me in that Lucina match... except that's my reaction against projectiles and moderately heavy offense, heh. Online, I really have a hard time getting in and reacting quickly to characters that play half as safely as that Lucina was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom