• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

not_corey

Smash Cadet
Im tryin to get my Falco tight. I went to a tourney last weekend for the first time in over a year and got destroyed. Also my 1st tourney going Falco. I realized that I am bad at this game... but I want to get crazy better. Clowsui helped me out a lot with how to not be dumb. Going to another tourney next month, any tips(other than read stuff and practice) on how to break through and be a ****ing boss with the bird? Like what made you guys go from mediocre to ****** people?

Vlade

Social Outcast
Practice is seriously the main thing, you can't get good without playing the game against humans a lot.

The tips I usually give for people starting out in the tournament scene is to just tell them about the fundamentals of the game. There are 5 fundamentals which apply to every character:

1. Spacing: It's so important that you control the space because it is a huge factor of winning - in general the person who spaces better will win.
2. Tech Skill: This is something you can practise at home, it's pretty much making sure you're fluent with all of your character's moves, combos and ATs and can perform them consistently in high pressure situations.
3. Matchups: You gotta know them. If you've never played against ICs before you're gonna get wrecked because it's a matchup you have to play very different in for most characters. Watch videos of the top players of the matchup and see what they do to overcome it.
4. Stages: You gotta know how to play on these as well, since in Smash the stage is a big factor on who gets the advantage in a matchup. If you don't know the mechanics of all the legal counterpicks in brawl you're gonna get a big surprise when playing on Frigate Orpheon and not jumping when the stage flips, only to find that you're stuck underneath the bottom unable to get back up (unless you're playing metaknight).
5. Mindgames: This can only be developed through practising and playing with other humans a lot. Being able to outwit and crush the opponent's mind is a big asset since it can cause them to question themselves during a match, something they do not want to be doing.

Some things to think about, hope you found it useful.

:starman:

Choice

Smash Champion
you might also do amazing if whatever you're testing works out though i'm guessing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I think they are about the same in terms of difficulty, its very free for both of them a lot of the time but at the same time they still have certain glaring difficulties.

lol @ playing characters well at a low level tho.

I want to say falco is simplier. When I consider playing as falco, he has all these great attributes that make him good. The trick ends up taking what you know about his moves and applying them correctly. So after you get used to his moveset, it ends up being a task to refine your own decision making ability about what you pick.

Diddy on the other hand ends up being more of an "on the fly" sort of character. The complexity comes from bananas. Falco is a character with great things, but diddy is a character of more options and decisions to make. This I think takes longer to sort through.

I am considering people who want to master the character.

Denzi

Smash Master
I think good reads are necessary to play both of them though. And they both limit options well enough to get those reads often with Lasers and Naners. So it all depends on which of those you see as more of a hindrance to the opponent.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
what makes falcos spotdoge so good? i cant find frame data on it, or any data on it for that matter.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
lol nah im being serious. debating whether or not to play diddy or falco. i just quit mk *inb4areuanidiot
right now my diddy is better, but i feel falco can be more consistent. plus i dont think stages gay falco like they do diddy. so less chance of me getting screwed over.

Well, I cannot help but wonder because the Falco Frame Data is listed on the front page just under this one currently. Plus, it is the 2nd link in one of our stickies. Then there is the search function which you would likely have success if you searched for "threads" in the "falco boards" using combinations of keywords like "frame", "data", and "spot dodge".

So either you didn't look hard enough, not sure how to search these forums, or you are trolling us.

But to answer, it is what ramses said. If spammed, we have only a 3 frame punishment window, and it is the fastest tied with link and others.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
im just hella lazy, and i have this specific page on my bookmark. So i just opened it and asked the question.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The top is Colonel Sanders, the rest don't matter.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Eh.

DEHF
SK92
Kismet2 ?
Zen ?
?

Honestly haven't seen enough American Falcos play to determine top 5.

DEHF for sure. I have not heard anything about SK92 for quiet sometime. I guess he is still top in reigon, but again, I have not seen him place in tournaments at all recently for like the past 6 months. I really have not heard of any national falcos that travel as much as DEHF. The rest seem to be reigonal giants mostly. The one I hear about is Arty or something like that for the Midwest.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
im pretty active and i just won a tournament this weekend but i dont get a chance or dont remind myself to record a lot of matches honestly lol. im still mad that me vs ahlly wasnt recorded and tons of other sets i never have recorded lol

Top Bottom