• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***The Art Of Link*** Advanced Link Video Guide Made By Izaw

Krast

Smash Rookie
He was mid tier until the recent one. BTW for QDA is the SH required?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Izaw your a Europe player right....

With brawl released in Europe there should be tourney's showing up soon.

I hope you play link in some of them so we can get on ankoku's character ratings list :D

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
this video was really nice and incredibly helpful...

and your combo video made me want to learn link and utilize the techniques you showed...
really cool stuff...

someday i may have quick fingers...

by the way do you Y jump or tilt jump?

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
really quick...

is there any tips for Arrow Cancel? when I FF it basically pulls out bombs 70% 15% is already landed and does full bow... and then 5% is luck... like

is there frames i have to look at to start...

e.g. snake's contact mortar slide, it is right at contact... when he looks like he's headbutting...

also... do you have tips for gale guarding? like at height, and distance... cuz i either recover and catch the rang so its useless... or let is guard and die... i did it successfully once... out of like 80 tries... and i don't recall how...

Zair recovery is good... its the coolest thing... hard to do... and i'm not completely sure if I DI correctly... like crouch canceled... (down) but fox smash just send me flying (254)... so my DI is off cuz ya you proved at 300% it works...

Izaw

Smash Ace
Yeah well.

You don't just do Arrow cancel alone. You do Arrow cancel combined with other attacks. Like short hop + Bair then before you land you press B for Arrow Cancel. That's what it's good for. I also show more example what you can do with Arrow cancel on the guide.

Gale guarding isn't hard. It's about the distance you throw from. This of course also depends on the stage your playing on. You cant throw your boomerang at the edge and be too close because it will fail and go through the stage. Also you can't be too far away cause the boomerang will bounce back to you and you'll catch it. Watch the guide again to see the distance you need to have to not fail on the gale guard.

And the Zair+DI recovery is about timing. The timing changes from where on the stage you get launched. Like if your standing in the middle of Final Destination and get Dsmashed by Fox it's a diffrent timing from when you get smashed on the edges of Final Destination. So yea, Zair+DI recovery is about the timing and if you can't get up to 300% its not really a big deal you know ;P.

Anyway, if your not using the Gamecube controller. I suggest you start using it :p. Because i really can't help people that use Wiimotes or other controllers.

But yea there you have it. Don't use Arrow Cancel only, use it after other attacks in the air. And find your distance on where to throw your Gale Boomerang.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
you're helping a bunch, I'm using the GC... iono my thumbs don't coordinate too well... i suppose...

alright but ya... i saw the examples... i'll work at it... thanks

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
nice guide, nice vid, nice player :D

I have another thing to show you guys, don't know if anyone knows this already and don't know where to put this, so i just put i here.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=cKvMvwdA6Rc&feature
well... i cancled toon links final smash with ike once, without rolling... or Aethering... all i know was i was dashing and mashing a... cuz i messed up...

that was so long ago though... it may have some relevance.

i know you can roll out of few final smashes... but iono... maybe you can attack out of it too

Deva

Smash Lord
the jab cancel in the vid's actually innacurate. You have to crouch cancel between each jab to get faster aisa frames before the next jab. In Melee it was automatic with the d-smash cuz you had to press down and it would automatically cc. In Brawl there is no jab canceling for d-smash though. You can still jab cancel into other jabs though.

Shadow_Metroid

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much. You made me want to play with Link all over again. I'm not gonna main him, I'm gonna master him (H)
Subscribed (Y)

Jink

Smash Apprentice
SSSOOAW!!! :laugh:, I never get tire of watching it. :psycho:
:ohwell: Although I haven't been able to pull of that combo yet on battle I resolve with
USmash after Fair for now ;)

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
Excellent video! Your Linkageddon video is also totally awesome. I wish there were more guides for each character professionally made like this. (I main Meta Knight at the moment, but I might learn some new techs.)

Zaxro

Smash Rookie
This has given me the inspiration to go back to Link, haven't used him since melee :p
Thanks a heap!

Swordplay

Smash Lord
The hardest thing for me when I play link is pulling off Double Jump Triple arrows and Full Hop Double arrows.

I also use Y as jump so I was wondering Izaw, do you use another button for special? I find it hard to get my finger from the Y button all the way down to the B button to pull off the Double arrow or even the Boomerang to arrow cancel.

I mean I can do it.....but for me it is unpractical to use in a game because I have to move my analog thumb over to my B button to do it consistently....

Any Advice?

Zaxro

Smash Rookie
I'm the same, can't get that arrow cancel and stuff down yet.
Sorta got the hang of the ZAir edgehog, and I'm developing a liking for the bombs (for me, a very much unused skill) I mainly used the boomerang and sword moves in melee.

Izaw

Smash Ace
I jump with Y and doing double jump tripple arrow is just impossible with B. So I have my X buttin as special. But I don't really do tripple arrow in a real match, there no good situation to use it. There's always something else better.

I guess Full hop double arrow can be good against a recovering ROB or .. pit.. but there's probably other better stuff you'd rather do.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
So I guess that would make B grab or shield......or useless?
I also wonder if you have gotten to the point where you don't need to us R/Z as attack for your DAC. If you can use grab and never make the mistake of actually grabbing thus being punished. You must of gotten the timing down really well.

Izaw

Smash Ace
No my B is also special :p

And I use both my Z and R for DAC, really it's just random wich one i'll press. And yea I've gotten the timing in just like wavedashing :p just can't fail it lol

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Lol nice.....I am trying to move away from using R as attack. I really want to use it as grab.

With grab it makes ZAC so much easier than going to my grab button (X at the moment). Unfortunately until I perfect the timing of DAC it stays at attack.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I have finally learned all the techniques in the guide! Mastered any way. Tis really quite awesome. A bit of advice for people having trouble with bow canceling- SH->Bair->Bow. Make sure you DI backwards all the way. Thanks for the guide Izaw. These techniques are really helpful.

Keep rocking! :)

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
Wow!

I tried to learn as much of this as I could for a Tourney a while back. The problem was the Tourney was on the 28th, (day after the PAL version of Brawl was released), and so I was forced to practise on Melee...

Which was impossible because almost none of the techniques from the video are present in Melee.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Wow, luving the videos. Ur defo the best Link I've seen so far. I rely wanna play u now. Plz add me...

Nelquiorra

Smash Rookie
Hey, you own.
Great video, and being a link player myself, it has benefited me greatly.
Thanks.

Izaw

Smash Ace
hahahahah ^^ aaah.. no its actually pretty funny looking at it, like mine but... toon link instead lol.

But seriously like he should have asked me first -_-

Top Bottom