• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i've only seen him use roy and ICs

and i've only seen him twice in my life....that being over a year ago

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
LMAO @ Ganon being a good counterpick vs Marth.

Also this priority issue. Marth's sword moves are disjointed (not part of hs body). Ganon's moves are not disjointed. Therefore, Ganon's body comes in contact with Marth's sword. If they try to trade hits, Ganon will get hit and Marth won't be hurt, get what I'm saying?

This thing about Ganon's aerials canceling Samus' charge shot, that's just raw power, not priority.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon's bair is disjointed, it can't be grabbed, not sure about fair though, i'm pretty sure it is

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
None of Ganondorf's moves are significantly disjointed. They have range, but are not disjointed. "Disjointed hitbox" means that the hitbox is NOT connected to a vulnerable part of your character's body, such as a sword. Your face will die for erroneously using the term.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
^^^^ Edit: thanks for clarifyng :)

Doesn't disjointed mean it's not part of his body?

Ganon's Bair = fist = body part
Ganon's fair = fist = body part
All of Marth's moves = sword = not body part = disjointed

Magus420

Smash Master
None of Ganondorf's moves are significantly disjointed. They have range, but are not disjointed. "Disjointed hitbox" means that the hitbox is NOT connected to a vulnerable part of your character's body, such as a sword. Your face will die for erroneously using the term.
Have you forgotten the bomb incident? :chuckle:

The hitbox near his hand does stretch a good deal past where his hand can be hit though. More than nearly all of his other moves or most other characters' moves at least. Then again it doesn't really come close to something like Marth's sword.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
No one's forgotten the bomb incident. XD

"Disjointed hitbox" could be considered a subset of "move priority," which is how far the hitbox extends past the character's body parts. Yeah, Ganondorf does have great priority (obviously enough to overcome Bob-ombs...), but we're talking about fighting Marth here. With proper spacing and camping, Marth wins 90% of priority wars against Ganon and trades hits the other 10% due to his priority advantage over Ganondorf.

Magus420

Smash Master
I was just pointing out that the distance between the edge of the hittable part of his hand and the edge of where it actually hits is indeed greater than most moves. Doesn't really matter against Marth though. While not disjointed enough to straight up beat out heavily disjointed attacks, it is very good at trading hits against them since Ganon reaches his arm out and begins the attack at the exact same time.

Hitbox (click)

Sandy

Smash Champion
Remember, the tier list can be very subjugative. It just rates the current highs and lows in the SSB playing database. If a certain character starts getting used a lot, they will inevitably win more because with increase of play comes increase probability of wins.

When Melee first came out, Link was very high on the tier list because people were still using him. Now the popular characters are Marth, Sheik, Falco, and Peach and the tier list therefore reflects that.

Just remember, the tier list DOES NOT necessarily mean that a certain character is better than another, it just reflects who the current hot characters are.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I totally agree LK, I haven't seen m2k lose to a spacie or another marth in like 4 months.. lately pc has been coming close with fox, but he had more success when he randomly went falcon in that MLG long island set. He also nearly lost to forward sheik at smashtality and kdj gives him business with sheik, seems like those ARE the only two chars who can handle a godly marth, which is why i think marths the best char in the game or... sheik.. fox is a very close 3rd to those 2. Tier list really goes.. Top Tier : Sheik/marth High tier Fox/falco, falco as 2nd is absurd people need to update this list, falco dissapears in the highest levels of play, only forward/shiz play him at a pro level and the really top players all play fox/sheik/marth like m2k/kdj/chu/azen/ken/pc (although he picks falco SOMETIMES but hardly lately) I also think m2/dk should move up cause of bum/taj showing us their potiential, the list looks fine otherwise maybe ic's up cause of chu winning pound and just being amazing with them.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Yeah eggm I guess that chu dats ice climbers cant handle a godly marth. Oh wait they did. And dont say chu is the exception because I could easily say that marths like m2k are an exception. People need to get off marths ****. A marth hasnt won either of the mlgs this year. Ganon does well against marths. There just arent any ganons up to the skill level of m2k or others like him because few people take him on as a main because of characters like shiek.

And there are levels where I would consider spacies to be at the very least even with marth. Especially if you include counterpick levels into the conversation.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Does it matter?

At the moment only Marth and Fox win out of the top 4. IC's and Falcon have been doing well too.

So in the end Marth > Ganon.

GG.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Tiers only affect tourney play, as there are some tactics a casual Smasher may not use for a character. For example, casual Smashers may not use Waveshine combos or Shinespike when playing Fox. This means they are not using Fox fully, and tiers won't apply as much

An important part of tiers is MLG rules. This means 1vs1, no items, some stages banned (like Hyrule Temple), stock match. If not all of these are met, then tiers won't matter so much

Also counters could come into effect. A counter is when one character is resistant to another characters abilities. For example, Mario can chain grab Fox and use the Caping technique against him.

Tiers don't affect a match's outcome unless both players are on the the same skill level, don't counter each other, are fighting on an unbiased stage, and use the same advanced tactics.
therefore, player's skill>counters>stage>tiers

More here: http://www.freewebs.com/typhlosionisme/tiersessay.htm

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
rofl.

I like shoryuken's definition better,

Tiers just show who is good and who sucks.

Interestingly enough, on shoryuken.com there are two tier list for Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike.

One that shows potential and one that shows who actually places well in tournies.

Yun is number 1 on both list.

Go figure that the guy with the most potential also wins the most tournies.

*coughFoxisnumberonecough*

>_>

pockyD

Smash Legend
i haven't been keeping up with any of this garbage but i think

top 4 should be a tier (fox falco sheik marth) - i don't want to argue order because that never gets resolved -_-

next 4 should be a tier (peach falcon IC samus) - same thing about order, though i would say ICs should move up ;)

jiggs should jump doc simply because jiggs is still fringe tournament viable whereas doc really just isn't

mood4food77

Smash Hero
let's go old school with the top 5, shall we, i feel it should be like this though

top:
fox
sheik
marth

that order since all 3 are really close, fox gets top cause of match-up priority (falco being only bad match-up, sheik has falco and ICs, marth has sheik and falcon)

upper:
falco
peach
ICs
falcon

makes sense, falcon and ICs are too close to tell apart, so i put ICs ahead based on match-ups

high:
doc
samus
ganon
jiggs
mario

doc just does best against fox and falco, some consider him to be a counterpick for them

mid:
DK
luigi
link

figures that they should get their own tier...don't know if it should be allowed in low tier tournaments or not

low:
y. link
roy
pika

the rest of the old low tier

lower tier:
g&w
yoshi
ness
zelda

just stand out to be a lot better than the bottom 4

bottom:
bowser
kirby
pichu
mewtwo

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
It's really annoying to see ppl get in the thread trying to explain us the tier list and **** like we're a bunch of morons.

Always happen every 2-3 pages...

are you guys doin it for the god ****ed post count or sumtin???

To Mood4Food: I don't mind seeing Falco getting his *** bumbed into Tier 2...

Thx to Eggm for supporting a point that I made earlier in this thread (Falco not being #2 anymoar)

Protoguy

Smash Cadet
top:
fox
sheik
marth

upper:
falco
peach
ICs
falcon

high:
doc
samus
ganon
jiggs
mario

mid:
DK
luigi
link

low:
y. link
roy
pika

lower tier:
g&w
yoshi
ness
zelda

bottom:
bowser
kirby
pichu
mewtwo

This looks fairly decent to me, and his reasoning for the top tier makes pretty good sense...

What do you guys think?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i care less about my post count..it's just high cause i've been here for 2 years

and yes, my reasoning for the tier list is tournament placement then match-up

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
Mood4Food, that looks solid. :)

Edit: The only flaw in that list I see is that you should move M2 up! Low tier I would say...

Super Smash Kid

Smash Rookie
Here's what I believe it should be:

Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Captain Falcon
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Ganondorf
Doctor Mario
Samus
Mario
Jigglypuff

Low Tier:
Link
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Mewtwo
Ness
Bowser
Zelda
Yoshi
Mr. Game and Watch
Kirby
Pichu

Eggm

Smash Hero
Mood's list looks highly accurate besides m2 not moving up. Pat/pro m2k lost to forwards trash talk not Chu. And shut up you clearly marth fanboy.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mewtwo isn't going to move up, trust me, taj is the only mewtwo out there basically, yes he may be better but it's gonna take more than one person to prove it

Eggm

Smash Hero
Alright I can see that mood good point just as some one who knows taj personally its hard for me to see m2 at the bottom. :), Oh and pat/pro chu lost to kdj's marth at catclsym 3 and kdj isn't even a marth main, Also chu lost to m2k at smashtality very recently, oh and does 1 win or 1 loss mean the tier list should change..? m2k's been dominating for a long time the best player has always been marth too, Big **** your characters the best deal with it lol.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Tier list based on tournies = Accuracy= Victory.

Mood for prez.

Seriously.

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
mewtwo isn't going to move up, trust me, taj is the only mewtwo out there basically, yes he may be better but it's gonna take more than one person to prove it
How exactly would one prove that he should be moved up from bottom tier to low tier? Taj, Mow, ADHD, and Vectorman are some solid M2 players. Muz is decent with him too. I definitely think he does better against most characters over Ness and Yoshi.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Taj is the only player really good with mewtwo

i've heard of muz, but i've never heard of the others, maybe mow

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm a ness player, i'm not saying ness for top tier

no way mewtwo is better than ness, ness does decent against fox and falco, much better than mewtwo does, also better against sheik and marth

ness is above mewtwo for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom