• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test your frame reaction time

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No it's not. 6-4 is possible if you mapped out when it turns Green. If you know the pattern of it, you can condition yourself to react earlier. If a person is truly average at reacting to it, but they know when it will turn green, they can burn their reaction "lag" before or right as it is turning green and get a higher score.

The only reason I bring it up is because the timing is not random; if you had a truly random timing that would be null and it would more accurately measure how well you can react. This test however is not random (or the range it has is quite small), making it easier for someone to do that.

In that case, it wouldn't be an accurate representation of how fast you can truly react, I just simply mentioned that you can get your score lower if you know how to play the system. Same as how you can study for IQ tests and possibly get inflated results because you know what they will ask you.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't see how that's different from playing brawl, if you have the experience you know all the possibilities that can come from one situation and at what time

Psychoace

Smash Champion

I think the time between the changes is like the same as holding one of snakes grenades until it explodes.

As for etecoon's post. The difference is startle reflex and expected reflex. In Brawl you have more of the prior with different situations each time, while in the test nothing ever changes. Stages/environments and human thought being major factors.

I ended up with like 11.1 frames

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It would be like trying to dodge a standard grab that is thrown out randomly over and over, or dodging a grab you know will come about every 5 seconds. The first scenario if you dodged it you would either do it prematurely or get lucky. The second one you could prepare yourself for it obv.

Browny

Smash Hater
No it's not. 6-4 is possible if you mapped out when it turns Green. If you know the pattern of it, you can condition yourself to react earlier. If a person is truly average at reacting to it, but they know when it will turn green, they can burn their reaction "lag" before or right as it is turning green and get a higher score.

The only reason I bring it up is because the timing is not random; if you had a truly random timing that would be null and it would more accurately measure how well you can react. This test however is not random (or the range it has is quite small), making it easier for someone to do that.

In that case, it wouldn't be an accurate representation of how fast you can truly react, I just simply mentioned that you can get your score lower if you know how to play the system. Same as how you can study for IQ tests and possibly get inflated results because you know what they will ask you.
wtf

Seriously, what on earth makes you say that. Where did you pull those numbers from and what makes you believe that someone could memorise a pattern so unbelievably perfect such that they can get obscene reaction times? Ive never seen or heard anything about people being able to do this. How do you know this test isnt random, can you show me how it isnt? inbe4 it is theoretically impossible for anything to be random.

secondly, you cant study for an IQ test and get inflated results because of the nature of questions you get asked. Ive done plenty online and multiple RL IQ and aptitude tests and not a single thing I saw online, or could have seen anywhere else could have helped any of those tests. The questions were simple enough, but its all about how fast you are. Just because you know a test is going to have X many 'complete this sentence' questions or have practiced Y pattern recognition puzzles, it wont help you when theres infinite possible variations of the same, simple quesiton. Its all about the speed. Sure practice helps, but considering how questions scale in difficulty very sharply, its going to take an extreme amount of practice to get say, 13/15 right if you normally get 12/15.

Yikarur

Smash Master

I get slower so longer I try, could be that I'm tired of it after a while.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The pattern FOR THAT TEST is not hard to get down. It's not even close to "random" at all.

You can get higher scores than "usual" if you sit down, study the pattern, and react accordingly. That is all.

Yikarur

Smash Master
but it's a reaction test not a "laugh at the bad mechanics of that stupid test"-test D:

Browny

Smash Hater
The pattern FOR THAT TEST is not hard to get down. It's not even close to "random" at all.

You can get higher scores than "usual" if you sit down, study the pattern, and react accordingly. That is all.
Do it then?

I acknowledge I got considerably faster scores than I normally get by practicing it over and over again, but to more than double that increase seems impossible to me.

Really, if its so easy, why dont you do it. Because theres no reason for me or anyone to believe what you say is possible. My point about the IQ tests still stands... have you done many in RL?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not all IQ tests are done based on time. Some of the credible harder ones have periods of more than weeks to complete the test, or no timeframe at all. The Mega or Titan tests for example.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Average was about 210 after several tries.

I've heard touchpads are slow upon input though, which is what I'm using. :o

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm better with audio cues rather than visual

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I'm better with audio cues rather than visual
that is the norm. i think the little *tink* sound from an attack hitting your powershield is almost as important as the actual frame advantage you get compared to normal shielding, because it's such a distinctive sound...your mind can immediately interpret that as I CAN HELLA PUNISH RIGHT NOW (usually)

touching upon what DMG said, if you want to apply this to brawl then it is better that it isn't completely random because you should be taking note of your opponent's habits, the character's options, etc etc

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm absolutely exhausted today, and I'm getting 17 frames.

Gotta try it when I'm actually awake.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Do it then?

I acknowledge I got considerably faster scores than I normally get by practicing it over and over again, but to more than double that increase seems impossible to me.

Really, if its so easy, why dont you do it. Because theres no reason for me or anyone to believe what you say is possible. My point about the IQ tests still stands... have you done many in RL?
Counting the time I got 11 frames, just the first time.

Every other time when I waited and reacted I got like 18 frames.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
best is 221

average is 278 for 20 tries
i kept getting either in the 220's or 330's e_o i keep getting distracted or something

edit: new best is 205

Nova9000

Smash Lord
212 was my best, but my average was 234.2 which is above 14 frames. Better than I thought.

RATED

Smash Lord
I got 240.0 but I try it another day because I am kinda tired after not sleeping yesterday doing an essay and I am full as ****.

Sharky

Smash Master
taken this before, averaged between 180 and 215

now I can't get below 274 wtf lol. Maybe there's display lag in this laptop =/

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
if your using a mouse and not a labtop button the time is bound to be different
lab top clicks are much more like pressing a controller button. Some home computer mouses will delay your time quite a bit. i went from 230 to 180 by switching computers

volume

Smash Apprentice
possibly in another dimension named winnipeg
mine went 207 1st then 238,280,197,174 average is 219 <,< i was trying my absolute best on the last one and it was quiet so i could focus more. my average is just over 9 frames i think... if i did the calculation right but i guess its from playing characters like diddy pika and the other quicker characters lol though i sucked at melee =/ strange =P

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
all this test does is show how good you are at reacting to a color changing from one color to another.

Reaction time and muscle memory go hand in hand. If you teach your self to power shield a character's attack over and over again you'll slowly react faster to it because of muscle memory.

Don't think this test accurately shows your reaction time.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
mine went 207 1st then 238,280,197,174 average is 219 <,< i was trying my absolute best on the last one and it was quiet so i could focus more. my average is just over 9 frames i think... if i did the calculation right but i guess its from playing characters like diddy pika and the other quicker characters lol though i sucked at melee =/ strange =P
219 translates into over 12 frames... not 9

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
200.8 / 16.67 = 12.05

Not too bad, I guess. Considering I'm on a kind of laggy computer and I got maybe five hours of sleep average all week. I'd like to test myself at my prime.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I've said this in previous reaction time threads, but remember if you are a good player who practices frequently and takes Brawl seriously, than your reaction time will be faster during a match, because of the following interferences:

realm of reasonable expectancy - My opponent and I are standing near each other and shielding. I know he's going to grab. At the HEIGHT of my reaction, I can react to a grab, even if delayed.

Adrenaline - I personally respond to Brawl the same way as if I were doing a physical activity. This is one of the reasons I shower before every tournament, and even before I have people over to my house to play Brawl. I also deodorize. Both my mind and body are fully prepared to Brawl, and treat it as an intense activity, which GREATLY boosts my reaction time.

Pattern recognition - You are reacting to something you've reacted to before. You will be faster on future tries.

Additional reception - We react faster to sound, and the combination of sound and light even faster. Also, the physical motions of your opponent, or sharper sounds, such as the opponent's controller, might give us an even faster edge. It's sometimes difficult to determine what you're reacting to.

Action comfortability - More practiced actions are easier to use as reaction indicators. Also, some joints are better for reaction, and move faster.

As I mentioned before, at the HEIGHT of my physical capabilities, I can react to a grab at point blank range with spot dodge, and successfully dodge the attack. I'm not referring to situations where the opponent grabs at the first possible opportunity, I've dodged multiple delayed grabs in a row. I would NEVER be able to replicate this kind of reaction time on a computer screen, watching a light, and clicking a mouse. I'm not saying it's completely inaccurate, just don't rely on it too much, and expect yourself to probably perform above this in an actual high stakes match.

OverLade

Smash Hero
My average was 209ish.

There's a HUGE part of this concept that everyone is missing. This reaction time test only reflects reacting to something you're expecting. It doesn't judge actual comprehension ability processing speed.

A BETTER test would be the same program, except 2 colors flash. Green and Black. You have to right click for Green and Left click for Black. Your brain would have to cognitively process which command to input, and your score would only be averaged after 5 correct guesses in succession. That's a much better comparison to a fighting game like brawl because people don't just react to stuff while playing.

If MK runs directly at your character he can choose to grab you, dash attack you, or jump nair you all in about the same amount of time. The window you have to be able to tell the difference between a dashgrab and a jump Nair is VERY SMALL, but testing ones ability to react to minute frame distinctions would show a lot more.

This is related to everything from someones ability to follow DI, to tech chasing, and to repelling pressure.

Top Bottom