• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
Might have been mentioned and I missed it but I haven't seen anyone mention Ridley's perks close up. Everyone is just assuming that it's just an auto loss if Rayquaza gets up close to Ridley but you are forgetting Ridley's close range options. I'm not saying that Rayquaza won't have the advantage close up but it's not a devastating advantage. First of all Ridley has a nasty bite. If Ridley bites Rayquaza's neck I can see it as being lethal. Second, Ridley does have his claws. Sure Ridley may not be strong himself but when you practically have swords for nails his strength is more of a moot point. Yeah, he would have to be lucky for his claws to end up being lethal but they couyld inflict some nasty damage. Finally, the one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet and the thing that practically makes up 95% of Ridley's CQC, his freakin tail. That thing is virtually a spear and if that thing is thrusted anywhere where's there's a vital organ it should be easily lethal. It can also be used as a whip as well. Ridley's close range abilities should be enough to make Rayquaza think twice before approaching Ridley (not to mention iirc his tail can extend as well). If he tries to approach from below there's a good chance Ridley may try to aim for his neck. If he goes from above Ridley can use his tail to attack his head.
Rayquaza has very flexible and thick scales.
Ridley isn't going to be able to do much damage to that, especially since at close range, Rayquaza can grab him easily and crush him. Rayquaza is very flexible, and his 23 foot long body can hit Ridley if he's anywhere near him. Ridley is better off using his plasma breath.

Now Rayquaza definitely has better versions of both of these (minus the spear tail) but these weapons don't work as well unless the opponent is approaching and Ridley kind of forces Rayquaza to approach. I mean not only does Rayquaza have a clear disadvantage in ranged combat (mainly due to Ridley's superior maneuverability) but even at mid-close range I would give the edge to Ridley as one wrong move from Rayquaza's part get him impaled by Ridley's tail. The only way I can see Rayquaza winning this one is if he gets in close to Ridley but to do that safely he'll have to deal with that tail. As long as that tail is still there Ridley can easliy deal a lethal strike to Rayquaza if if he slips up at close range as that tail gives Ridley the advantage at close-mid and mid range as well.
Ridley's tail is not an issue for Rayquaza. Ridley doesn't want to get anywhere near him. Ridley's body is fragile; not only does he have hollow bones (otherwise he would be too heavy to fly), but he does not have sufficent protection to withstand a high-speed impact.

This isn't even mentioning that Ridley has his own personal army and is intelligent. I know Rayquaza isn't stupid but I'd place Ridley's intelligence at higher then a humans, yeah, he's that smart. Not to mention a huge advantage that the first strike ALWAYS goes to Ridley, no questions, Ridley is practically a ninja when he appears and that first strike may be enough to injure or even kill Rayquaza.
If Ridley was smart, he wouldn't dive-bomb Rayquaza and break every bone in his body.
If Ridley comes flying in straight at Rayquaza, Rayquaza either gets out of the way, Fire Blasts Ridley in the face, or smashes him with its tail. Rayquaza is not slow by any means.

Also if Ridley is based on a dragon then Rayquaza is based on a Chinese dragon. They may not look like it but they can fly as well. I'm not exactly sure how they fly but for a Chinese Dragon/Rayquaza to slither is just...odd, and if you want a logical explanation...uh...Rayquaza manipulates the weather so that the wind and air currents cause him to fly...yeah...let's go with that. Sorta makes sense, Chinese dragon's had the ability to manipulate the weather also iirc.
Lolwut.
Ridley is based heavily on a pterodactyl or a similar dinosaur.
Rayquaza could move on the ground quite easily; in addition to slithering, he has those 'rudders' at several points on his body that could let him roll horiziontally or increase his movement speed.
Weather manipulation is not realistic at all, and thus not allowed by the rules of this thread. Plus, I'm not sure if wind could lift Rayquaza. Its body doesn't provide much air resistance...

(And if you couldn't tell, I'm a Metroid fan boy that was very pissed when Ridley wasn't playable. Too big my *** if BOWSER is playable I think Ridley can be >.> I mean in Sunshine Mario was like the size of his nail)
And in most games, Bowser is only a few feet taller than Mario. Ridley just might not be popular enough, though I'd gladly trade him for Olimar or Pit any day.

JOE!

Smash Hero
^ boozer actually flucuates tremendously during the games, so for his battles we have him at 10ft

@dragon, Ridley takes this, but by a hair

new matchup soon...

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Hmmm.... Ivysaur VS Yoshi....

Interesting. Frankly, I'm glad its not another boss match-up; those are heated debates. In comparison to Mario, Yoshi is usually bigger; Yoshi would probably be bigger than Ivy, though I haven't checked Ivy's stats yet....

highfive

Smash Lord
Hmm. Gotta go with Ivysaur on this one. If Yoshi were real he would have more of a docile/prey tendency then Ivysaur. Plus, Ivysuar is basically plant since he does have a large bulb doohickey on his back. Ivysaur would be more or less like a Venus flytrap be strangling Yoshi then eating him for nitrogen just like the Venus flytrap in order for the Bulb to stay alive.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
IVY is the cuter of the two. He gets my vote.

She?

Bah, both of these characters are gender-confused.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Ivysaur is 3 ft 3 inches tall and weighs almost 29 pounds. Yoshi is probably bigger in both height and weight than Ivysaur, but he is limited in attack options compared to Ivy.

As a side note, it makes the most since to refer to them as "its", since their gender can be either.

EDIT: here are some pics to compare their builds:

Just at a glance, we can see that Yoshi is capable of running faster and jumping higher. He's just gonna be more agile than Ivusaur, whose legs are too short to enable fast running speed.

And for those who doubt Yoshi's intelligence, here's a statement from Wikipedia that gives evidence of its intelligence - "Their social structure, however, is shown as developed and organized, as they are shown as living together in organized settlements, having meetings, working together, and even creating floor plans."

squirtleuser007

Smash Apprentice
why cant he use razor leaf? vine whip then? toxic? stun spore? sleep powder? I NEEDZ TEH INFOZ!
edit: my bad, didnt read first post :(... can ivysaur use cut? double edge? take down? attract?(they might be g*y ;) ) secret power? sludge bomb?(he's poison type as well as grass) frustration? return?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
^ boozer actually flucuates tremendously during the games, so for his battles we have him at 10ft

@dragon, Ridley takes this, but by a hair

new matchup soon...
Do you like, pay attention to these debates? Why do you just cut them off randomly, why don't you let one side clearly win before moving on?

These debates are trivial if we don't let them run their complete course.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
According to Serebii.net, the attacks that Ivysaur can learn naturally are the following (I've bolded attacks that are both realistic and useful):

Tackle
Growl
Leech Seed
Vine Whip
Poisonpowder
Sleep Powder
Take Down
Sweet Scent
Growth
Double-Edge
Worry Seed
Synthesis
Solar Beam

It looks like Ivysaur will have to rely mostly on full-body tackles, which could be problematic considering Yoshi's agility. However, having such control over its long vines will prove to be a valuable asset, while the ability to spread poisonous powder into the air may not be so useful - Yoshis are usually shown to eat anything, which would imply a high resistance to toxins.

JOE!

Smash Hero
According to Serebii.net, the attacks that Ivysaur can learn naturally are the following (I've bolded attacks that are both realistic and useful):

Tackle
Growl
Leech Seed
Vine Whip
Poisonpowder
Sleep Powder
Take Down
Sweet Scent
Growth
Double-Edge
Worry Seed
Synthesis
Solar Beam

It looks like Ivysaur will have to rely mostly on full-body tackles, which could be problematic considering Yoshi's agility. However, having such control over its long vines will prove to be a valuable asset, while the ability to spread poisonous powder into the air may not be so useful - Yoshis are usually shown to eat anything, which would imply a high resistance to toxins.

thats why the matchup is interesting, but can yoshi only be resistant to INGESTED toxins, or respiratory ones too?

@solid,

I ended it because it started to drag on, and all that was being said was the same stuff:

Ray would win when he grabs Ridley, but Ridley can do a great job of a voiding Ray, while huring him from the air, over time ridley would be more victorious due to the fact that ray needs to be spot on to take advantage of Ridley

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Eh, vine whip is definitely out, as is razor leaf, and "basically" all of the plant attacks. Honestly, venus flytraps are the only plants that shows the capacity for growth that rapid, and it's not continuous. Granted, vine whip could work if they were muscle-powered tentacles, but that sort of defeats the point.

Poison powder, sleep power, stun powder, etc are all possible. Special kinds of pollen that produces as a defense against predators (which honestly was the intent probably). By contracting the muscles under the buld Ivy could expel it.

Leach seed, it could do something, but not what it does in-game. It would probably function as a combination of a poison and a long-term parasite (the latter will only come into play in a long battle).

Honestly, Yoshi can only be resistant to so many toxins, nothing can be resistent to everything, and in the wrong places, it won't matter anyway.

Dunno who'll win yet, so I'll wait on other people to say more.

Some house-cleaning from previous debate.
Might have been mentioned and I missed it but I haven't seen anyone mention Ridley's perks close up. Everyone is just assuming that it's just an auto loss if Rayquaza gets up close to Ridley but you are forgetting Ridley's close range options. I'm not saying that Rayquaza won't have the advantage close up but it's not a devastating advantage. First of all Ridley has a nasty bite. If Ridley bites Rayquaza's neck I can see it as being lethal. Second, Ridley does have his claws. Sure Ridley may not be strong himself but when you practically have swords for nails his strength is more of a moot point. Yeah, he would have to be lucky for his claws to end up being lethal but they couyld inflict some nasty damage. Finally, the one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet and the thing that practically makes up 95% of Ridley's CQC, his freakin tail. That thing is virtually a spear and if that thing is thrusted anywhere where's there's a vital organ it should be easily lethal. It can also be used as a whip as well. Ridley's close range abilities should be enough to make Rayquaza think twice before approaching Ridley (not to mention iirc his tail can extend as well). If he tries to approach from below there's a good chance Ridley may try to aim for his neck. If he goes from above Ridley can use his tail to attack his head.

Now Rayquaza definitely has better versions of both of these (minus the spear tail) but these weapons don't work as well unless the opponent is approaching and Ridley kind of forces Rayquaza to approach. I mean not only does Rayquaza have a clear disadvantage in ranged combat (mainly due to Ridley's superior maneuverability) but even at mid-close range I would give the edge to Ridley as one wrong move from Rayquaza's part get him impaled by Ridley's tail. The only way I can see Rayquaza winning this one is if he gets in close to Ridley but to do that safely he'll have to deal with that tail. As long as that tail is still there Ridley can easliy deal a lethal strike to Rayquaza if if he slips up at close range as that tail gives Ridley the advantage at close-mid and mid range as well.

This isn't even mentioning that Ridley has his own personal army and is intelligent. I know Rayquaza isn't stupid but I'd place Ridley's intelligence at higher then a humans, yeah, he's that smart. Not to mention a huge advantage that the first strike ALWAYS goes to Ridley, no questions, Ridley is practically a ninja when he appears and that first strike may be enough to injure or even kill Rayquaza.

Also if Ridley is based on a dragon then Rayquaza is based on a Chinese dragon. They may not look like it but they can fly as well. I'm not exactly sure how they fly but for a Chinese Dragon/Rayquaza to slither is just...odd, and if you want a logical explanation...uh...Rayquaza manipulates the weather so that the wind and air currents cause him to fly...yeah...let's go with that. Sorta makes sense, Chinese dragon's had the ability to manipulate the weather also iirc.

(And if you couldn't tell, I'm a Metroid fan boy that was very pissed when Ridley wasn't playable. Too big my *** if BOWSER is playable I think Ridley can be >.> I mean in Sunshine Mario was like the size of his nail)
Yes, he does have weaponry, but the majority of his muscle mass is conventrated in his legs and Rayquaza has thick scales.

Furthermore, as I stated many times, the issue is more defense then offense. Ridley has hollow bones, and therefore can be crushed relatively easily.

As for manipulating weather and wind currents... yea, read the OP. That's not realistic in the least.

-----

Edit: Adumbrodeus: That's actually part of the reason WHY shields were dropped in favor of two-handed swords in the late middle ages (that, and 1-handed swords did nothing against platemail).

Actually, the reason why 2 handed swords were used more in the later middle ages is because spears were becoming the weapon of choice on the battlefield. Spears had a hasty habit of owning shorter swords but two handed swords actually were effective at breaking spears. Don't get me wrong though spears were still the primary weapon of choice. Besides, shield were never really dropped. They worked just fine with spears especially with organized forces as they could protect each other.
Referring to the sword and shield combination, I believe that was implied.

Regardless, you're putting the cart before the horse here, spears gained popularity as a response to heavily armored knights (platemail) in their carvery capacity. 2 handed swords gained popularity as a response to the same thing, but different capacity, so they both developed simultaneously, however, spears did cement the two-handed sword's place.

Actually, Ridley is the last of his kind. :(
He had to evolve from somewhere. The fact that he's the last one that exists doesn't excuse the species from the dictates of evolution.

Well, in the games, he's shown to be very fast in the air. In Metroid Prime, for example, when Samus is escaping Frigate Orpheon, not even her Gunship can catch up with him as she follows him to planet Tallon IV. That's not to say her ship couldn't travel at warp speed, as shown in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
Firstly, that's meta Ridley.

Secondly, even if that was regular Ridley, it's a scientific impossibility..

Flamethrowers are unnatural, in the sense that they use the mechanics of pyrotechnics. I've never heard once, from the dinosaurs, all the way up to the reptilians of today, that producing fire from one's own body could occur naturally. The body would need to be resistant against the extreme temperatures. I'm not saying it would be impossible if we made a reptile able to produce fire in reality, but... Never mind. I just remembered someone using "scientifically possible" in the previous pages, and that's what you're aiming for. :ohwell:
Yeah, pretty much. None of these creatures have been shown to exist, but our basic assumption is that their attributes that are possible are allowable.

As for plasma, calling it "essentially really hot fire," I think, is inaccurate. Plasma possesses ionized gases, and lightning is also made up of plasma. You could say it's extremely hot to the point of being able to burn things and cause a fire. Lightning has been reported to cause fire.
I explained this before.

It's not that plasma ITSELF is really hot fire, it's that to produce plasma, fire has to be really hot. If it's "plasma breath" and shows properties similar to fire, then we're dealing with really hot fire.

Would phosphorus work, too? I read that it burns once it makes contact with oxygen.
Yeah, White phosphorus (aka, Yellow phosphorus) is capable of self-ignition when it comes into contact with oxygen, though it's better to have something specific to oxygen.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Interesting question... I think it's more likely that their digestive system deals with any complications, including toxins, so a respiatory toxin could be more effective than I initially thought.

squirtleuser007

Smash Apprentice
adumbrodeus, about your point on vine whip: it doesnt have to be musceled; a whip travels at the speed of sound at the very tip, creating a sonicboom. this may sound elementary to you, but i just thought i should point tht out... and moving at the speed of sound would DEFINITLY put the hurt on yoshi. he can also use his vines to grapple yoshi and deal some serious damage there as well. i say ivy so far, as no one has really put much thought into yoshi...

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team

Just at a glance, we can see that Yoshi is capable of running faster and jumping higher. He's just gonna be more agile than Ivusaur, whose legs are too short to enable fast running speed.

And for those who doubt Yoshi's intelligence, here's a statement from Wikipedia that gives evidence of its intelligence - "Their social structure, however, is shown as developed and organized, as they are shown as living together in organized settlements, having meetings, working together, and even creating floor plans."
I wanted to bring back my pics real quick to point out that if Ivy is allowed to use Vine Whip, Yoshi DOES have hands with thumbs which can help him deal with them if they connect with him. Now, most realistic attacks for Ivy will involve direct combat. Yoshi is much more agile and mobile than Ivy and is also larger.

I think its safe to say that Yoshi would have evolved to withstand most toxins. He shows the ability to swallow virtually anything he sees, and while that doesn't mean his degestive system is invincible, Ivysaur's toxins shouldn't be as effective on Yoshi as they would on someone else. I'm voting Yoshi as of now.

Also, let's move on from Ray and Rid. I think S.O.L.I.D. had a point, but I'm not complainig it's over....

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adumbrodeus, about your point on vine whip: it doesnt have to be musceled; a whip travels at the speed of sound at the very tip, creating a sonicboom. this may sound elementary to you, but i just thought i should point tht out... and moving at the speed of sound would DEFINITLY put the hurt on yoshi. he can also use his vines to grapple yoshi and deal some serious damage there as well. i say ivy so far, as no one has really put much thought into yoshi...
No, I know how a whip works, I actually have talk people how to use it.

The problem is the fine control required to actually do that, Ivysaur is gonna need some muscle directly attached to the vine in order to do that and in a very specific fashion, which is quite frankly, a bit ridiculous.

squirtleuser007

Smash Apprentice
No, I know how a whip works, I actually have talk people how to use it.

The problem is the fine control required to actually do that, Ivysaur is gonna need some muscle directly attached to the vine in order to do that and in a very specific fashion, which is quite frankly, a bit ridiculous.
lol, i wasnt questioning if you knew how a whip worked, you seem very knowledgeable :laugh:. ivy has good control from what ive seen in the anime(ok fine, it was bulbasaur, but ivy can only be stronger right?)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
It doesn't matter how good he can control it in the anime. If Ivy is unable to use Vine Whip, he will probably have to resort to direct attacks, where Yoshi outplays him. Yoshi's legs, for example, obviously enable it to run fast and jump high. Ivy's legs are short and stubby, rendering it incaoable of superior movement. Yoshi also has thumbs and fingers, and Ivy doesn't have anything of the sort. Also, Ivysaur is only about three feet in height; Yoshi is bigger than Mario, who may be a short person, but he is taller than Ivysaur. I don't see much going Ivy's way right now.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lol, i wasnt questioning if you knew how a whip worked, you seem very knowledgeable :laugh:. ivy has good control from what ive seen in the anime(ok fine, it was bulbasaur, but ivy can only be stronger right?)
For the purposes of this thread, it doesn't really matter if he's good with it in the anime.

If it's not realistic (aka, scientifically possible) for him to have muscles directly connected to the vines in such a fashion that they'd actually be usable. Plants and animals just don't interface like that.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Okay, basically, I can see Ivysaur trying to do two things.

1. Attempt to poison Yoshi with Poisonous powders.
2. Dash at Yoshi on its four little legs and tackle him.

Yoshi will respond to these both with absurd ease. Poison powder will scarcely effect it. And Ivy has no chance of outrunning, outmanuevering, outsizing, or outranging Yoshi. Yoshi is faster, bigger, stronger, smarter, and ,frankly, better than Ivysaur. Part of the reason is Ivysaur is crippled in a Real World environment while Yoshi is only slightly effected.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
I still think you are underestimating Ridley's tail a bit. I know that the teeth and the claws aren't entirely effective against Rayquaza because of his armor (I still think a bite to the neck would be enough), but his tail is a ridiculously versatile weapon. Just the nature of the tail itself helps it overcome the fact that Rayquaza has armor.

First of all it is a form of a simple machine meaning less work is required to pierce his skin. It would be a type of wedge (correct me if it would work differently). A wedge's mechanical advantage is its length divided by its width, and Ridley's tail is VERY long and VERY narrow. Second, it's not the strength of the strike but the speed of the strike that will determine its power. Energy of the strike would be determined by its mass multiplied by its speed squared (divided by 2). As previously stated Ridley's tail can function as a whip. Whips move very fast (not sure how to calculate an actual whips speed though, not sure what special mechanics they use).

Ridley's tail isn't just flexible though, it can also become stiff if needed. How stiff? Well in some metroid games I've seen him pogo around the room on his tail. You might say that's not hard, Ridley is light (he really wouldn't be THAT light), but it was done from an awkward center of gravity. Mainly from the extreme left or right meaning he had enough strength to hold the other side up from the pull of gravity.

Now because the tail functions as a tail and a whip he can deal a devastating strike. He can first move his tail as a whip then right before impact can stiffen his tail If done at the right angle you can add the entire mass of his tail to the strike. You may question what good does this do? Well pick up an arrow and try throwing it, now pick up a javelin and throw it. Which one had more force behind it? You may say well if an arrow if fired from a bow...and I'll respond well if the javelin is fired from a BALLISTA. See what I mean, mass adds quite a bit of force if you aren't losing speed. In the end Ridley's tail is a spear thrust with the speed of a whip and that is a very scary attack.

Edit: Fast moving thread is too fast, I started this while Ridley was still somewhat being discussed D:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Listen! It's over; Ridley won, Rayquaza lost! Even if the match had gone on longer, it would have been the same. Please move on! :)

EDIT: Oh, wait, You started this a while ago? Sorry 'bout that.... seriously. :)

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
I know, The post actually kinda took so long that what I was more or less responding to got buried D:

I started adding this while someone added something about Ridley XD

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I know, The post actually kinda took so long that what I was more or less responding to got buried D:

I started adding this while someone added something about Ridley XD
Ah well, no harm done. I'm waiting for a response to my last post before yours...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Let me clear up the Vine Whip issue. I believe adumbrodeus is saying that since the vine is attached to Ivysaur, it is inviable because it isn't like a tail or something, it's a plant, and plants aren't able to interact with muscle tissue of animals that way.

If the vine was held in Ivy's claw, it'd be viable.

I believe this one really boils down to what we throw out. If we throw out Ivy's Grass type options as stated before (Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, etc.). That leaves Ivy with Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Take Down, Double Edge, and Tackle. If I understand correctly, the pollen used in the "powder" attacks doesn't have to be swallowed, if Yoshi inhales it, it'll affect him. So if that is viable, Ivy will be able to put him to sleep, then poison him, then use her physical attacks to finish him off.

BUT

What are we throwing out with Yoshi?

His swallow shouldn't be viable, nothing can digest anything that fast, or digest it into an egg for that matter. Also, how does Yoshi get eggs to throw in his games? By swallowing things. So if he can't swallow Ivy or anything else, he can't get eggs to throw, so he really doesn't have anything to keep Ivy from pollen-ing him and then killing him.

I say Ivy.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
Why the hell would Ivysaur try and tackle Yoshi. I'd think Yoshi is both bigger AND heavier then Ivysaur. He's a freaking dinosaur (ignoring the fact that most dinosaurs were small). That would be like trying to tackle the wall of your house. In the end you might put a hole in the wall but you probably broke your shoulder in the process.

Also, instead of Vine Whip acting like a whip it could just shoot out the seed thingy and use the 'whip' to pull it back in. That and you could technically manipulate the whip by twisting your body.

Besides, Ivysaur is boring. Parasect is where its at :p

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
If I understand correctly, the pollen used in the "powder" attacks doesn't have to be swallowed, if Yoshi inhales it, it'll affect him.
Yoshi has an evolved and very resistant digestive system. Yoshi shows the ability to swallow virtually anything quite often. Its unrealistic for him to swallow anything larger or close-ish in size to him, so he can't swallow Ivysaur whole. However, its perfectly possible for an animal to have an immunity against toxins, and regarding Yoshi, its probable. If your digestive system is that resistant, your respiratory system can be as well.

So if that is viable, Ivy will be able to put him to sleep, then poison him, then use her physical attacks to finish him off.
Yoshi's respiratory/digestive system proves to be very immune against foreign substances, and it is not likely to effect him as much as it would another species of being.

His swallow shouldn't be viable, nothing can digest anything that fast, or digest it into an egg for that matter. Also, how does Yoshi get eggs to throw in his games? By swallowing things. So if he can't swallow Ivy or anything else, he can't get eggs to throw, so he really doesn't have anything to keep Ivy from pollen-ing him and then killing him.

Yoshi is superior in physical combat and doesn't need eggs or weapons to win this. As said before, Yoshi is bigger, faster, and more mobile than Ivysaur and can easily punish him. Yoshi also has hands; Ivysaur hasn't.

EDIT: @Supersun - If Ivy's toxins and powders fail to effect Yoshi, the only thing he COULD do is tackle Yoshi. I'm not saying he'd try to do that, unless he had to.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
We could compare Ivysaur to the Dicynodont. Ivysaur is 3'3", but that doesn't change anything. Is Yoshi a natural fighter? What about Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, and Sweet Scent? Sweet Scent would probably work as some kind of pheromone.

Yoshi has an evolved and very resistant digestive system.
Prove it.

Yoshi shows the ability to swallow virtually anything quite often. Its unrealistic for him to swallow anything larger or close-ish in size to him, so he can't swallow Ivysaur whole.
His body and mouth do not act like that of a snake eating a whole pig, so we can rule that idea out.

However, its perfectly possible for an animal to have an immunity against toxins, and regarding Yoshi, its probable.
What makes this probable? Proof, please.

If your digestive system is that resistant, your respiratory system can be as well.
How resistant is Yoshi's digestive system? Why am I even asking that question. Yoshi isn't going to eat Ivysaur whole. No way would a three foot creature get swallowed like that, unless Yoshi was a snake.

Yoshi's respiratory/digestive system proves to be very immune against foreign substances, and it is not likely to effect him as much as it would another species of being.
Prove it. Ironic that his poor body can't handle those particular foods in Yoshi 64. What were they? They looked like radishes.

Yoshi is superior in physical combat and doesn't need eggs or weapons to win this.
Yoshi is a natural fighter?

As said before, Yoshi is bigger, faster, and more mobile than Ivysaur and can easily punish him. Yoshi also has hands; Ivysaur hasn't.
Tigers and wolves do not have hands, but that doesn't stop them from tearing up a human being. I fail to see how hands are more superior than paws with nails to claw at. Yoshi stands erect, but Ivysaur does not. Humans stand erect, but tigers and wolves do not. Do you see where I am going with this?

And, I am off. I hope everyone is having a great fourth of July! :)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
We could compare Ivysaur to the Dicynodont. Ivysaur is 3'3", but that doesn't change anything. Is Yoshi a natural fighter? What about Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, and Sweet Scent? Sweet Scent would probably work as some kind of pheromone.
Ivysaur may be similar to this... dinosaur thing, but he's still at a disadvantage to Yoshi in close combat for alot of reasons. We just discussed the powders and scents, though its still open for discussion, I guess...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yoshi has an evolved and very resistant digestive system. Yoshi shows the ability to swallow virtually anything quite often. Its unrealistic for him to swallow anything larger or close-ish in size to him, so he can't swallow Ivysaur whole. However, its perfectly possible for an animal to have an immunity against toxins, and regarding Yoshi, its probable. If your digestive system is that resistant, your respiratory system can be as well.

Yoshi is superior in physical combat and doesn't need eggs or weapons to win this. As said before, Yoshi is bigger, faster, and more mobile than Ivysaur and can easily punish him. Yoshi also has hands; Ivysaur hasn't.

EDIT: @Supersun - If Ivy's toxins and powders fail to effect Yoshi, the only thing he COULD do is tackle Yoshi. I'm not saying he'd try to do that, unless he had to.
Honestly, the idea that an animal could be immune to all toxic substances, or even fiercely resistant, is impossible. There are such a wide variety of poisons available that it's simply impossible, and some tackle things so fundamental that there's no way Yoshi could resist them.

Furthermore, sedatives are not included anyway (aka, sleep powder).

Now the question would be, what types of poisons COULD yoshi reasonably resist and "are ivysaur's poisons one of those"?

Furthermore, unless it's based on fundamental body chemistry (for example, repeated exposure in small doses for poisons that it's possible), it's unlikely that simply being resistant to something in your digestive system means that you'll be resistant in your respiratory system. If it's body chemistry, that drastically cuts the number of possible resistences. If it's digestive tract then specialized organs can assist.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's stomach isn't immune to everything. If it was that freakin stage "Get Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" wouldn't nearly be as painful as it was

Top Bottom