• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
They're thinner then other areas, but they're definitely scaled as well.

Probably a better target then most, but the heat from the fire is gonna be where the damage comes from, not the fire itself.

Ultimately, better off with targeting someplace else, the heat is better for internal damage, though impact damage will destroy them easily.

Basically, evolution would not let a creature that's not fire-retardant be born with this type of breath weapon, too easy to set yourself on fire.
I think that if the blast was powerful enough, his wings would get damaged, though I agree that Ridley would have to semi-heat resistant scales. I think the fire would help the most, though, if it was used to break Ridley's concentration. It's important for Ridley to keep his focus, because this style of fighting all depends on him aiming correctly and avoiding Rayquaza when landing. Therefore, it'd be in Rayquaza's best interest to use the flames, primarily to pressure Ridley.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
If all he can do is glide then how the hell is he going to get high enough in the air for him to be able to glide freely around and attack (Ridley).

This should be a grounded battle, Ridley could jump, sure, but that'll only get him a few feet off the ground, I really don't see how he could sustain his gliding for a long enough time for it to matter in the battle.
This is an excellent point.

Is Ridley sentient? I can't remember. In the games he's nearly always depicted as a mindless monster, but I think I recall him being mentioned somewhere as intelligent.

Also, I'd say Ridley is far too heavy to be able to "flea-jump." He may be lightly built, but he's still several hundred pounds at least.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
If all he can do is glide then how the hell is he going to get high enough in the air for him to be able to glide freely around and attack (Ridley).
This is why:

Again, overall light frame, high muscle to mass ratio, legs on overclock (if you check the pics, his legs are designed like a flea/grasshopper with the ability to fold inward in order get more overall distance), aerodynamic design, wings, ability to create his own powerful updrafts (plasma breath).

Puma's jump 5 times their body height with only one of those advantages (legs, and even then, not to the degree). Granted, he doesn't have the size to imitate a flea's feet, but I think 15 times his height would be a conservative estimate. Remember, he is built like a bird, even though he's a large bird, they're very good at vertical jumps. Furthermore, the "flea legs" (fleas can jump 1000 times their height) are an amazing jumping advantage, and the rest really does help.

Ridley is built like a combination of a flea (highest jumper in world relative to height) and a bird (who also have amazing jump height) combining the vertical jumping advantages of both and more. Ridley can definitely jump high enough to freely glide.

I think that if the blast was powerful enough, his wings would get damaged, though I agree that Ridley would have to semi-heat resistant scales. I think the fire would help the most, though, if it was used to break Ridley's concentration. It's important for Ridley to keep his focus, because this style of fighting all depends on him aiming correctly and avoiding Rayquaza when landing. Therefore, it'd be in Rayquaza's best interest to use the flames, primarily to pressure Ridley.
Eh, the heat created would be better to do damage to muscle tissue thing hitting pure scale, since it's gonna be fire and heat resistent. They could get damaged, but the muscles controling the wings are simply a better target.

And yes, pressuring Ridley with fire breath is exactly what Rayquaza is gonna be doing.

Edit:

This is an excellent point.

Is Ridley sentient? I can't remember. In the games he's nearly always depicted as a mindless monster, but I think I recall him being mentioned somewhere as intelligent.

Also, I'd say Ridley is far too heavy to be able to "flea-jump." He may be lightly built, but he's still several hundred pounds at least.
He combines all the vertical jumping advantages of the best jumpers in the world, plus he can create his own updrafts to further improve his jump height. Ridley is built to jump REALLY REALLY high, and makes sense that he's built like that. My earlier post explained all the factors that make him an amazing jumper, which I also quoted in this post.

And yes, he's the leader of the space pirates, aka the brains behind the operation. He's sentient.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
My problem with this match-up is that Rayquaza is superior in combat and would tear Ridley apart if he could grab him, and yet, he's at a disadvantage because of his absense of flight.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I don't think having breath weapons is very realistic, either.

XD

*flees the thread.*

Smooth Criminal
Well, if they're weren't breath weapons, it would be unfair for Ridley. I'm not saying its realistic, I'm just saying that there exceptions to the rule in certain cases. Ridley can't match Rayquaza in hand-to-hand combat.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
oh, ok. but still, that puts ray at a HUGE disadvantage
Rayquaza's not at a "HUGE disadvantage." He just has to be sure to attack Ridley when and where he's most vulnerable. Rayquaza's gonna want to put the pressure as much as he can, and mix up his mobility. Ray's biggest worry is not becoming predictable here, as his movement is easily read. He's not doomed to fail here; he's gonna have to fight his best, but he's not forsaken.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Ridley can't die, but Rayquaza hits SE. With a beneficial nature, and STAB boost I'm sure Rayquaza could at least make him faint, but couldn't hit him hard enough to send him to pokemon tower.

Rayquaza won't be predictable, he has extreme speed. If he gets confused from outrage though, it's all over.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't think having breath weapons is very realistic, either.

XD

*flees the thread.*

Smooth Criminal
Lol, no.

As seen in real life, flamethrowers are entirely realistic, so it's far from impossible for something to have evolved that can make use of them.

All it takes is ability to produce something flammable, expell it, and have the ability to create a spark.

FLOWERS can create something flammable (oxygen is GREAT fuel), and our nerves use tiny sparks of electricity to transfer information.

No, breath weapons are realistic, albeit, unusual.

Well, if they're weren't breath weapons, it would be unfair for Ridley. I'm not saying its realistic, I'm just saying that there exceptions to the rule in certain cases. Ridley can't match Rayquaza in hand-to-hand combat.
See above. The principal is proven, the components are produced in nature. Really all you need is something that evolves to put them together.

Obviously, Ridley and Rayquaza did.

Ridley can't die, but Rayquaza hits SE. With a stab bonus, a beneficial nature, and STAB boost I'm sure Rayquaza could at least make him faint, but couldn't hit him hard enough to send him to pokemon tower.

Rayquaza won't be predictable, he has extreme speed. If he gets confused from outrage though, it's all over.
Lol.

This is if they were IRL, not pokemon.

"Cannot die" isn't possible.

Extreme speed is just his movement speed, whatever it is.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Sorry to say it, but Ridley would be more life threatening than Rayquaza. Read this, please.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Ridley
I don't think that either of those add anything I can see that would add to the match. In particular, I've been surfing Metroid's Wikia since the beginning of this match.

I think this match comes down to the few instances Ridley lands, in which rayquaza has to get a hold of him. If he misses his chances, Ray's going to lose to plasma breaths. So it depends on how well he can pressure Ridley and if he can trap him.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Rayquaza lives in the ozone layer. He can fly just fine.
On earth, Rayquaza would win, Ridley would suck against gravity.
In space... Rayquaza couldn't breathe.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Rayquaza lives in the ozone layer. He can fly just fine.
On earth, Rayquaza would win, Ridley would suck against gravity.
In space... Rayquaza couldn't breathe.
Yes, but again, this is a fight that is meant to be as realistic as possible. Rayquaza has no wings, and therefore is denied the wonder of flight.

To whom it may concern, I'm not voting either way anymore on this match-up, because I don't see a perfectly clear win on either one.

nightSN

Smash Ace
How many times is ridley going to be able to glide? and once he passes ray im pretty sure ray isnt just going to sit there, he will pursuit after him and possibly attack from the back with some sort of ranged weapon? like a rock? or better yet, can ray throw sand in ridley's eyes?

He has no wings or any way to realistically stay airborne. The flight issue is not going to change...
Check out the Chrysopelea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopelea). These snakes are capable of gliding, i dont see why ray is an exception while being light for its weight and being able to produce fire. Also when they glide it seems they have much control due to them "slithering" through the air

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You know, Ridley would be quite a large creature. In Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, he grabs Samus Aran with his hand and holds her, and at the end of the battle, Samus is standing over Ridley's mouth, firing into his mouth. Now, just imagine yourself, if you're six feet tall, about how wide that mouth is. That's pretty huge! This would change the idea about Ridley's frail neck and body. Take the time to watch the ending of the battle between Samus and Meta Ridley here. It makes me wonder how many feet Ridley is.

Check out the Chrysopelea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopelea). These snakes are capable of gliding, i dont see why ray is an exception while being light for its weight and being able to produce fire. Also when they glide it seems they have much control due to them "slithering" through the air
Chrysopela - Wikipedia said:
Chrysopelea are called "flying snakes," though this is misleading as they actually glide instead of fly. This is done by flattening their bodies to up to twice their width from the back of the head to the vent.
Until Rayquaza can do that, he's not even gliding.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yes, but again, this is a fight that is meant to be as realistic as possible. Rayquaza has no wings, and therefore is denied the wonder of flight.

To whom it may concern, I'm not voting either way anymore on this match-up, because I don't see a perfectly clear win on either one.
I think the matchup has turned to Snake vs Wolf round 2....dependant on environment with too many variables on each side for an easy kill:

If Ridley makes 1 mistake, he is DEAD

If Ray cannot effectivly catch Ridley, he is DEAD

It comes down to whether or not ridley can effectivley evade Ray long enough and well enough...while at the same tome putting the heat in Ray to finish him...while being chased..

What do you think? (wanna wrap this one up soon...)

JOE!

Smash Hero
getting close enough to be in range of Rayquaza's strike.

Essentially, ray has poision as well as the ability to coil around and just ruin ridley if he latches on

Uffe

Smash Hero

Essentially, ray has poision as well as the ability to coil around and just ruin ridley if he latches on
Poison? Please. Ridley doesn't even need to get close and I'm sure he has much more endurance than Rayquaza. If a Pokemon trainer has the ability to capture this Pokemon, then that's saying something about it. And don't give me none of this "in real life" stuff, either. If Rayquaza does win this, it's out of fanboyism.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
What's this one mistake that would cause Ridley to lose?
He's built like a bird (hollow bones and all).

He gets grabbed, he DIES.

Just check out his frame, what's it based on. It's slim, built to fly.

In terms of simple evolution, birds/gliders are gonna prefer offense, because their mobility makes getting hit much less of an issue, so muscle mass is gonna be preferred over solid bones (they make flying more difficult without offering an overall advantage).

So, basically if Rayquaza can grab him, he'll get crushed.

How many times is ridley going to be able to glide? and once he passes ray im pretty sure ray isnt just going to sit there, he will pursuit after him and possibly attack from the back with some sort of ranged weapon? like a rock? or better yet, can ray throw sand in ridley's eyes?
Pretty much as many times as he wants. Gliding requires very little muscle power, so he can rest for most of it, and the quick jerks to evade require little muscle as well.

Rayquaza has his own breath weapon remember. As far as rocks and the breath weapon go though, aerial mobility, Rildey moves very well.

Rayquaza doesn't have the ability to flatten himself.

Furthermore, we've established that Ridley has the ability to jump HIGH, Rayquaza just isn't physically adapted for that, so even if he could, gliding 5 feet of the ground won't help much.

I think the matchup has turned to Snake vs Wolf round 2....dependant on environment with too many variables on each side for an easy kill:

If Ridley makes 1 mistake, he is DEAD

If Ray cannot effectivly catch Ridley, he is DEAD

It comes down to whether or not ridley can effectivley evade Ray long enough and well enough...while at the same tome putting the heat in Ray to finish him...while being chased..

What do you think? (wanna wrap this one up soon...)
Ridley's edge, for the reasons I said before. He'll be too difficult to catch to be done reliably even over the course of several landings, because of his aerial mobility.

Over the long term, he will win the majority of the time. But given the thousand battles, a good amount of the time, Rayquaza will manage to get him to land close enough to catch (or bite).

Equivalent of a 55-45, maybe a 60-40, Ridley's advantage.

edit:

Rayquaza can learn fly. He flies in his game. He flies in smash. He can fly.

READ THE F***ING OP.

This is if the characters were in the real world with real life physics.

So, we deconstruct the characters and ask "can this work in real life?" and "if so, how?". We've spent the last couple of pages discussing that, and the answer is, Rauquaza cannot fly in the real world. No wings. Not enough cubic area to be a "blimp" for his height and weight. Rayquaza is groundbound.

Poison? Please. Ridley doesn't even need to get close and I'm sure he has much more endurance than Rayquaza. If a Pokemon trainer has the ability to capture this Pokemon, then that's saying something about it. And don't give me none of this "in real life" stuff, either. If Rayquaza does win this, it's out of fanboyism.
No.

Understand, Ridley is physically a bird. To Samus, he's a lot tougher then he is to Rayquaza, but it's a essentially a large bird fighting a snake that's about the same size in terms of the their physical compositions.

Ridley cannot stand to be crushed, but Rayquaza doesn't have the ability to follow it into the air. THAT'S Ridley's advantage, along with Aerial manueverability.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And that would be?

Essentially, ray has poision [...]
Does he? The only TM he could learn would be Toxic, but that's given by a trainer, and right now, Rayquaza is a wild Pokémon.

as well as the ability to coil around and just ruin ridley if he latches on
If Rayquaza attempted to coil around Ridley, he would have to start from his upper body and circle around Ridley. I recall reading that Rayquaza is 23 feet. We don't know how tall Ridley is, but as I have mentioned, if you watch the video I linked, he is quite a large dragon.

This also assumes that Ridley will just let Rayquaza wrap around him without even fighting back with his own hands. Ridley "is also a formidable melee combatant, making any sort of engagement a risky proposition." (Creatures - Meta Ridley) I realize that's speaking about Meta Ridley, but he doesn't need enhancements to be "a formidable melee combatant."

I also don't think Rayquaza would be wise in trying to coil around Ridley, considering that this gives Ridley a free shot of firing a ball of molten plasma at Rayquaza, or even allowing him to bite Rayquaza with his serrated teeth.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Rayquaza can learn fly. He flies in his game. He flies in smash. He can fly.
And that would be?

Does he? The only TM he could learn would be Toxic, but that's given by a trainer, and right now, Rayquaza is a wild Pokémon.

If Rayquaza attempted to coil around Ridley, he would have to start from his upper body and circle around Ridley. I recall reading that Rayquaza is 23 feet. We don't know how tall Ridley is, but as I have mentioned, if you watch the video I linked, he is quite a large dragon.

This also assumes that Ridley will just let Rayquaza wrap around him without even fighting back with his own hands. Ridley "is also a formidable melee combatant, making any sort of engagement a risky proposition." (Creatures - Meta Ridley) I realize that's speaking about Meta Ridley, but he doesn't need enhancements to be "a formidable melee combatant."

I also don't think Rayquaza would be wise in trying to coil around Ridley, considering that this gives Ridley a free shot of firing a ball of molten plasma at Rayquaza, or even allowing him to bite Rayquaza with his serrated teeth.
Again, the main problem here isn't that Ridley isn't strong (though, look at his design, the most muscle concentration is in the legs).

It's that, as I said before, he's built like a bird. Rayquaza could crush his hollow bones VERY easily.

As for toxic, I guess we're sort of assuming that he has some inate ability if he can actually learn the move. After all, tms just teach technique, they don't turn pokemon into something new.

Uffe

Smash Hero
No.

Understand, Ridley is physically a bird. To Samus, he's a lot tougher then he is to Rayquaza, but it's a essentially a large bird fighting a snake that's about the same size in terms of the their physical compositions.

Ridley cannot stand to be crushed, but Rayquaza doesn't have the ability to follow it into the air. THAT'S Ridley's advantage, along with Aerial manueverability.
If you were to compare Ridley to anything, a bird would not be the right choice. He's more of a dragon if anything. And if you're going to go into a discussion with snakes and birds, look up the "circaetinae". Ridley's advantage would be projectile, speed, close combat and probably a few other things. Also, enough with hollow bones. He doesn't have osteoporosis.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Again, the main problem here isn't that Ridley isn't strong (though, look at his design, the most muscle concentration is in the legs).

It's that, as I said before, he's built like a bird. Rayquaza could crush his hollow bones VERY easily.
You're ignoring his size, however. He's not a little bird. He fits the description of a dragon, and the word "dragon" is from the word, "serpent."

As for toxic, I guess we're sort of assuming that he has some inate ability if he can actually learn the move. After all, tms just teach technique, they don't turn pokemon into something new.
I never said it turned them into something new. However, a TM is not a part of the original moveset, thus making Toxic void.

I'm going to end it here. I've nothing else to say.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
If you were to compare Ridley to anything, a bird would not be the right choice. He's more of a dragon if anything. And if you're going to go into a discussion with snakes and birds, look up the "circaetinae". Ridley's advantage would be projectile, speed, close combat and probably a few other things. Also, enough with hollow bones. He doesn't have osteoporosis.
Well, based on his build, he's basically a Pterodactyl, I'm using a bird because it's the comparison that's easiest to illustrate, and the principals really hold. Primarily the hollow bones, which is what I'm trying to get across.

Bird, flying reptiles, ANYTHING THAT FLIES has hollow bones. It's an evolutionary advantage.

As for circaetinae, Rayquaza can't stretch himself like that, and even if he could he can't jump high enough to make it worthwhile.

Space deities can't run around shooting fireballs or make electricity flow from their mouths, so that whole premise is null.
So, they lose their abilities that aren't realistic in this enviroment, I don't see what the problem is.

You're ignoring his size, however. He's not a little bird. He fits the description of a dragon, and the word "dragon" is from the word, "serpent."
Honestly, pretty much everything on earth that flies has hollow bones or an exoskeleton.

For something heavy like Ridley (or a full-sized dragon) that would be even more crucial to maintain flight or even glide, due to the weight.

If we wanna skip out on Birds, rhe illustration has really lived out it usefulness, so let's talk about what Ridley is actually based on. Not mythical dragons, pterodactyls.

Fossil evidence shows pretty much exactly what I said, their bones are hollow, because otherwise they'd be far too heavy.

I never said it turned them into something new. However, a TM is not a part of the original moveset, thus making Toxic void.

I'm going to end it here. I've nothing else to say.
Honestly, TMs can't teach pokemon to do something that's truly impossible for them, so in order to learn toxic, they'd have to produce poison. Still, toxic isn't very relevant because of the massive damage Rayquaza can do on bite anyway.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If we wanna skip out on Birds, rhe illustration has really lived out it usefulness, so let's talk about what Ridley is actually based on. Not mythical dragons, pterodactyls.
Is he based on a pterodactyl? The SSBB trophy says he looks like a pterosaur, that is "winged lizard," but not that he is based off a pterosaur.

But, in the end, this really doesn't matter to me. Realistically, neither of the two would be even spewing fire or plasma from their mouths.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Okie, Im gonna call it:

RIDLEY: 540 kills

RAYQUAZA: 460 kills

essentially, over the course of MANY battles, Ray will eventually cath up to Ridly to do damge, whether right away, or after being a bit battered.

However, the majority of the time Ridley is able to evade Rayquaza long enough to safeley pick away at him.

sound good?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Is he based on a pterodactyl? The SSBB trophy says he looks like a pterosaur, that is "winged lizard," but not that he is based off a pterosaur.

But, in the end, this really doesn't matter to me. Realistically, neither of the two would be even spewing fire or plasma from their mouths.
Bacteria in your stomach create methane.

It is possible that they have bacteria that can produce somethign a bit more flammable, and in large amounts allowing them to be lighter for leaping/flight

Then, they could also have a mechanism to expel the gas to control height during air-time much like a fish has a swim-bladder.

They can then expel this chemical(gas) from their mouth. Give them a way to ignite the spray ( a special set of two teeth in the back that can create a spark for example) and you have a natural spout of fire.

Ridley can have an odd bacteria not found on earth that creates a truly volitile compound thats burns very hot compared to say, methane or hydrogen

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Again, look at his frame. He's built to fly, or at least glide, that comes with certain things evolutionarily.

That means, weight is at a premium, and offense is more important then defense (because he couldn't be getting hit because he flies). If he had solid bones, then his ancestors would've died because they'd get outpaced by stronger and faster members of the species. The same way that it happened on earth (except on earth, they weren't able to fly period).

Honestly, Ridley could fill the same type of evolutionary niche as a pterosaurr, so it's not even necessary to assume he's from a lower grav planet (though, he'd probably be capable of powered flight instead of gliding there).

Why?

Flamethrowers work and the components are naturally produced, why not?

(Plasma is essentially really hot fire, so it works for the same reason)

edit:
Okie, Im gonna call it:

RIDLEY: 540 kills

RAYQUAZA: 460 kills

essentially, over the course of MANY battles, Ray will eventually cath up to Ridly to do damge, whether right away, or after being a bit battered.

However, the majority of the time Ridley is able to evade Rayquaza long enough to safeley pick away at him.

sound good?
Yes.

Bacteria in your stomach create methane.

It is possible that they have bacteria that can produce somethign a bit more flammable, and in large amounts allowing them to be lighter for leaping/flight

Then, they could also have a mechanism to expel the gas to control height during air-time much like a fish has a swim-bladder.

They can then expel this chemical(gas) from their mouth. Give them a way to ignite the spray ( a special set of two teeth in the back that can create a spark for example) and you have a natural spout of fire.

Ridley can have an odd bacteria not found on earth that creates a truly volitile compound thats burns very hot compared to say, methane or hydrogen
Yea, perfectly good explanation.

The same chemical reactions that create nerve impulses can also do it, probably lighter then a second set of teeth too. Honestly, there are a thousand different ways to create a spark of produce something flammable.

As I said before, highly pure oxygen is VERY flamable, and that's produced by plants all the time. Could easily be an off-shoot of a secondary way to breath (assuming he breaths oxygen) that evolved over time.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
Might have been mentioned and I missed it but I haven't seen anyone mention Ridley's perks close up. Everyone is just assuming that it's just an auto loss if Rayquaza gets up close to Ridley but you are forgetting Ridley's close range options. I'm not saying that Rayquaza won't have the advantage close up but it's not a devastating advantage. First of all Ridley has a nasty bite. If Ridley bites Rayquaza's neck I can see it as being lethal. Second, Ridley does have his claws. Sure Ridley may not be strong himself but when you practically have swords for nails his strength is more of a moot point. Yeah, he would have to be lucky for his claws to end up being lethal but they couyld inflict some nasty damage. Finally, the one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet and the thing that practically makes up 95% of Ridley's CQC, his freakin tail. That thing is virtually a spear and if that thing is thrusted anywhere where's there's a vital organ it should be easily lethal. It can also be used as a whip as well. Ridley's close range abilities should be enough to make Rayquaza think twice before approaching Ridley (not to mention iirc his tail can extend as well). If he tries to approach from below there's a good chance Ridley may try to aim for his neck. If he goes from above Ridley can use his tail to attack his head.

Now Rayquaza definitely has better versions of both of these (minus the spear tail) but these weapons don't work as well unless the opponent is approaching and Ridley kind of forces Rayquaza to approach. I mean not only does Rayquaza have a clear disadvantage in ranged combat (mainly due to Ridley's superior maneuverability) but even at mid-close range I would give the edge to Ridley as one wrong move from Rayquaza's part get him impaled by Ridley's tail. The only way I can see Rayquaza winning this one is if he gets in close to Ridley but to do that safely he'll have to deal with that tail. As long as that tail is still there Ridley can easliy deal a lethal strike to Rayquaza if if he slips up at close range as that tail gives Ridley the advantage at close-mid and mid range as well.

This isn't even mentioning that Ridley has his own personal army and is intelligent. I know Rayquaza isn't stupid but I'd place Ridley's intelligence at higher then a humans, yeah, he's that smart. Not to mention a huge advantage that the first strike ALWAYS goes to Ridley, no questions, Ridley is practically a ninja when he appears and that first strike may be enough to injure or even kill Rayquaza.

Also if Ridley is based on a dragon then Rayquaza is based on a Chinese dragon. They may not look like it but they can fly as well. I'm not exactly sure how they fly but for a Chinese Dragon/Rayquaza to slither is just...odd, and if you want a logical explanation...uh...Rayquaza manipulates the weather so that the wind and air currents cause him to fly...yeah...let's go with that. Sorta makes sense, Chinese dragon's had the ability to manipulate the weather also iirc.

(And if you couldn't tell, I'm a Metroid fan boy that was very pissed when Ridley wasn't playable. Too big my *** if BOWSER is playable I think Ridley can be >.> I mean in Sunshine Mario was like the size of his nail)

-----

Edit: Adumbrodeus: That's actually part of the reason WHY shields were dropped in favor of two-handed swords in the late middle ages (that, and 1-handed swords did nothing against platemail).

Actually, the reason why 2 handed swords were used more in the later middle ages is because spears were becoming the weapon of choice on the battlefield. Spears had a hasty habit of owning shorter swords but two handed swords actually were effective at breaking spears. Don't get me wrong though spears were still the primary weapon of choice. Besides, shield were never really dropped. They worked just fine with spears especially with organized forces as they could protect each other.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If he had solid bones, then his ancestors would've died because they'd get outpaced by stronger and faster members of the species. The same way that it happened on earth (except on earth, they weren't able to fly period).
Actually, Ridley is the last of his kind. :(

Honestly, Ridley could fill the same type of evolutionary niche as a pterosaurr, so it's not even necessary to assume he's from a lower grav planet (though, he'd probably be capable of powered flight instead of gliding there).
Well, in the games, he's shown to be very fast in the air. In Metroid Prime, for example, when Samus is escaping Frigate Orpheon, not even her Gunship can catch up with him as she follows him to planet Tallon IV. That's not to say her ship couldn't travel at warp speed, as shown in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Why?

Flamethrowers work and the components are naturally produced, why not?

(Plasma is essentially really hot fire, so it works for the same reason)
Flamethrowers are unnatural, in the sense that they use the mechanics of pyrotechnics. I've never heard once, from the dinosaurs, all the way up to the reptilians of today, that producing fire from one's own body could occur naturally. The body would need to be resistant against the extreme temperatures. I'm not saying it would be impossible if we made a reptile able to produce fire in reality, but... Never mind. I just remembered someone using "scientifically possible" in the previous pages, and that's what you're aiming for. :ohwell:

As for plasma, calling it "essentially really hot fire," I think, is inaccurate. Plasma possesses ionized gases, and lightning is also made up of plasma. You could say it's extremely hot to the point of being able to burn things and cause a fire. Lightning has been reported to cause fire.

As I said before, highly pure oxygen is VERY flamable, and that's produced by plants all the time. Could easily be an off-shoot of a secondary way to breath (assuming he breaths oxygen) that evolved over time.
Would phosphorus work, too? I read that it burns once it makes contact with oxygen.

That thing is virtually a spear and if that thing is thrusted anywhere where's there's a vital organ it should be easily lethal.
In the Metroid manga, Ridley thrusts his tail through one of the Chozo.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
omg

Rayquaza is suuuch a beast in brawl, ridley just looks like a scrawny lizard

Life Orb
DD
earthquake
outrage
overheat

what a BEAST!!!!

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Wow, oh wow! Dang! What happened?! IMO, Page 61 was the most annoying page in this thread... So Ridley wins? Or is it a draw (ish)?

Top Bottom