• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Nah, it has nothing to do with being a moderator. I'm only human. I just don't see a kind dinosaur beating a natural born fighter.
The number of times I have been corrected is alarming - I have drowned in "fail mode."

Gindler

Smash Champion
Wait wait, i got it.

Ivy holds yoshi up with vine whip and solar beams his face while he's helplessly flailing.

Lovely

Smash Lord
If Yoshi inhaled some of Ivysaur's spores, he'd become poisoned, or paralyzed, or fall asleep. That ability alone gives Ivysaur the edge in this fight.
♣ That alone would make Ivysaur more deadlier than Yoshi... poor Yoshi since I like him more. D: ♥

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I don't see yoshi winning this unless he has the power of a real t-rex, which he doesn't. It seems his abilities and size are based from existing games. The only midrange weapon I see coming from yoshi is a chameleon like sticky tongue used to draw in ivysaur for a... bite? I don't know if yoshi bites in any of the games, haha.

Regardless, I see ivysaur winning. He could just saturate the air with a mixture of all anesthetic, paralytic, and toxic powders. Put all the powder in the air, yoshi will have to approach. Yoshi will feel tired, sluggish, and pain from all the spores; this will drastically hinder his/her movement and ability to think. After that, it's easy pickin's for teh ivysaur.

I wish I could think of more ways for yoshi to attack. Being unbiased, i don't see much for him/her/it. Most I see is little hands for grabbing and scratching(?) [close], tongue to draw in [low mid], tail [close to low mid], headbutting [close], biting [close], and that's about it.

Ivysaur's attacks: spores (as established by Joe) [covers all ranges - most dense near ivysaur and progressively thins out with range], claws to scratch [close], headbutting [close], biting [close], and that's all i can think of, since it's been a long while since I watched pokemon.

If we go to size proportions based soley on game appearances, then they are about the same size with yoshi being taller (a bit taller than a human, aka mario) and ivysaur having more girth, haha (very wide according to finishing battle pose with pk trainer).

Speed, I have no clue, so I will abstain from making a biased comment. On an irrelevant side note, T-rexes are massive. If yoshi was a t-rex, he'd probably be a t-rex fetus or something like that, haha. Yes a fetus. I don't know how big a baby t-rex is, but i'd think it'd be bigger than a grown man. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, he wouldn't be moving as fast as an average human? Hippopotami can run up to 30 to 40 mph. Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, can only run 23 mph. An average human can run around 10 mph. Animals that are on four legs tend to move faster, and because Ivysaur isn't nearly a ton, he won't get as worn out when running like a hippopotamus would. How fast can Yoshi actually run?

hippos run faster because they have a huge stride. They are what? 10-14 feet long? that means in one motion they can cover 20ft, a human cannot. Shrink one to Ivy's size and itd be near pathetic

Yoshi.

stupid answer is stupid, of course he will, but it wont be anything horribly vital

But, he can tackle. Knocking Yoshi down would work just fine. Yoshi really isn't that tall as you want to make him be. It's really only his enlarged snout and huge eyes that make him appear big.

yoshi would be like 200lbs. Now, a 30lb animal woulndt be able to tackle a 200lb one, it is ~7 times it's weight. thats like you (im gonna put you at the average weight of 160lbs) tackling a moose. it isnt gonna do much if at all.

Observe those "eety beety" claws.

Wolves also have "eety beety" claws, but you're going to get cut, regardless.

truth, but unfortunatly, they arent really teh razor shape predators have, and then he doesnt really have the arms for a good slash. Yeah, itl hurt and probably draw some blood, but nothing horrible.

You have yet to prove this. So far, you haven't brought an official source on how fast Yoshi can run. All this time, you've been making up stuff.

Faster than Ivy...

Given that he goes like, 3x as fast as mario, and lets put mario at a decent speed (11 mph). He can go about 30ish at a full clip.

The same way he'd tackle any opponent larger than him.

Go for the legs, which on yoshi are very strong, and support 200lbs that a 30lb thing is trying to topple...

Let me throw thirty pounds of muscle, fat, and skeleton all combined in one at you, and tell me that you're just going to shove it away. They're not fighting on the moon. Take Down is a physical attack, but it does more damage.

30lbs is 30lbs. Add in like...5-7mph and it becomes like only 100lbs of force, spread over a wide frame, which will make it less. Thats not much for a 200lb thing with arms to shove off.

Yoshi has two arms. He can't be holding Ivysaur and attacking Ivysaur at the same time. Ivysaur, however, could project Toxic or Sludge Bomb from his mouth, release Poison Powder from his bulb, bite, scratch, &c. So, if Yoshi grabs Ivysaur, what part would he be grabbing? If it's his arms, Ivysaur can use his mouth to bite or release his poisonous attacks. If it's his mouth, Ivysaur can claw at him. If Ivysaur tackles Yoshi and knocks him to the ground, this gives Ivysaur a free hit to use any of his poisonous attacks, or bite, or claw at. Also, Yoshi's mouth is a bit small with that large snout in the way, making it a bit difficult to bite at Ivysaur.

it depends on where he grabs him, easiest place is the legs, which nullifys most of his options, seeing as he cant whip his head around if he grabs him from the back or sides. From there he can flip ivy over. And that thing on it;s back is essentially helpless

Like I said, Yoshi would have to use both of his arms, which means he doesn't have much options left. And that doesn't even mean he would have Ivysaur restrained. He can't use one arm to restrain Ivysaur and the other to attack with. He's really only left with biting, but Ivysaur can do the same and freely use his poisonous attacks, whether in the eyes or on the lips or in the mouth.

toss him, bite his leg, tear his flower.

Yoshi has been known to eat some tough stuff, like melons, coconuts, etc. He must have a decent bite force, even if he would have trouble biting things other than fruit

This exaggeration is too silly to even bother arguing. Is this where you concede that Yoshi lost?

that'd be a draw, seeing as they both die
just some points...

smashbot226

Smash Master
OH THIS IS SO COOL. THIS IS ONE OF MY MATCHUPS.

Anyway, Ivysaur has some serious advantages: looking at a realistic standpoint, plants don't have controllable vines or the ability to toss out razor-sharp leaf projectiles. But plants DO have self-defense mechanisms.

For instance, like many mentioned before, he's got the Spores to work with, but not only that: he's got seeds that can be shot at a rapid pace from his bud. He's also got a good close range game, with his claws and his bite. He's a nasty foe in any situation.

Yoshi, however, appears harmless at first. But... we are dealing with a DINOSAUR here. Not a cuddly, egg tossing, foe swallowing, flutter jumping "dragon." No, this is most likely a chibi version of a miniature dinosaur or a velociraptor. However, since he has no teeth or visible claws, he isn't a huge threat.

This may prove as a cop-out; but Yoshi, as seen in multiple games, is capable of intelligence beyond that of a basic creature you can command such as Ivysaur. He's smarter, and much more bulkier, then the plnt fighter. Yoshi could toss his considerable weight in his tail and head around to bludgeon Ivysaur, and finish him off with a stomp. Oh, and another thing:

Yoshi might not be able to physically perform a flutter jump- but he can jump high as hell. And the landing will KILL Ivysaur, because lets face it: Yoshi is a heavy sonovagun an Ivysaur is an inviting target. Yoshi could very well kill Ivysaur if the dinosaur is fast enough about it.

Adding to that, though it is impossible to digest things into eggs in seconds flat, Yoshi SHOULD have the ability to throw egg projectiles as weapons; animals make eggs for birth, so why shouldn't an organism create eggs for self defense? Imagine; confronting a Yoshi who believes its territory is being attacked. It swiftly takes an egg from its pile and tosses it at your stomach. It connects and shatters into pieces, said pieces jutting in your stomach. You die from bleeding out.

How Yoshi makes these eggs could mean much: they eat fruit, such as watermelon and bananas, and usually living in or near a tropical environment, they almost always have access to these kinds of foods.

So its an even match, but Ivysaur gets this one.

EDIT: And don't think I'm just blowing gas when I mention how Yoshi can be territorial or hostile when threatened. He's always growling before a boss fight in Yoshi's Story.

Also, the last matchup could essentially be called: "Bowser Vs. Charizard 2" except Bowser is longer, not as well-armored, and a snake and Charizard is an even frailer version of himself. So why didn't Rayquaza win this one if Bowser did? It's essentially the same thing in retrospect.

EDIT 2: Another interesting matchup following this could be Saki Amiyaki Vs. Gray Fox or Jigglypuff Vs. Peach.

JOE!

Smash Hero
EDIT: And don't think I'm just blowing gas when I mention how Yoshi can be territorial or hostile when threatened. He's always growling before a boss fight in Yoshi's Story.

Also, the last matchup could essentially be called: "Bowser Vs. Charizard 2" except Bowser is longer, not as well-armored, and a snake and Charizard is an even frailer version of himself. So why didn't Rayquaza win this one if Bowser did? It's essentially the same thing in retrospect.

EDIT 2: Another interesting matchup following this could be Saki Amiyaki Vs. Gray Fox or Jigglypuff Vs. Peach.
The last match was won by Ridley because unlike charizard, he could actually hurt Rayquaza.

Bowser proved to be highly tolerant to flames, while having a gigger flame of his own...in this match, they had equal range, but Ridley had a better version, as well as the ability to harm Ray

I dont know if Ill even do Jiggs...it cant Kill...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Next time, don't post if all you're going to do is reply within one huge quote box. Don't be lazy.

hippos run faster because they have a huge stride. They are what? 10-14 feet long? that means in one motion they can cover 20ft, a human cannot. Shrink one to Ivy's size and itd be near pathetic
I only brought up the hippopotamus to show that stubby legs doesn't mean anything. Ivysaur doesn't even need to approach anyway.

stupid answer is stupid, of course he will, but it wont be anything horribly vital
Stupid reply to stupid answer is stupid.

yoshi would be like 200lbs.
Prove it.

truth, but unfortunatly, they arent really teh razor shape predators have, and then he doesnt really have the arms for a good slash. Yeah, itl hurt and probably draw some blood, but nothing horrible.
It gives Ivysaur the advantage. Yoshi doesn't have claws. And it doesn't matter if they are razor sharp. They're sticking out and pointy. A good slash in the eyes would do the trick.

Given that he goes like, 3x as fast as mario, and lets put mario at a decent speed (11 mph). He can go about 30ish at a full clip.
How fast does Mario run? Where are you getting this information from?

Go for the legs, which on yoshi are very strong, and support 200lbs that a 30lb thing is trying to topple...
Back up your assertions. Stop making up ****.

30lbs is 30lbs. Add in like...5-7mph and it becomes like only 100lbs of force, spread over a wide frame, which will make it less. Thats not much for a 200lb thing with arms to shove off.
And it sure as heck isn't going to be like knocking a basket ball away. And you've still got to prove that Yoshi is 200 pounds.

it depends on where he grabs him, easiest place is the legs, which nullifys most of his options, seeing as he cant whip his head around if he grabs him from the back or sides. From there he can flip ivy over. And that thing on it;s back is essentially helpless
If Ivysaur even allows Yoshi to attack from behind. You know, turning around doesn't take much effort, even if Yoshi is faster than Ivysaur. If Yoshi grabs Ivysaur, he can use Poison Powder. I fail to see why if Ivysaur was ever flipped over, that he'd have a hard time getting back up. After all, he's only 33 lbs., right?

toss him, bite his leg, tear his flower.
Yoshi's snout gets in the way. Why do you think he uses his tongue to bring in food to swallow? What a shame Yoshi doesn't have that tongue of his in a realistic fight. Where are Yoshi's teeth? Also, "toss him"? Really? Ivysaur isn't a basket ball.

Yoshi has been known to eat some tough stuff, like melons, coconuts, etc. He must have a decent bite force, even if he would have trouble biting things other than fruit
If he can bite Ivysaur, you know, with that snout getting in the way. Where are those teeth? You may say that he has eaten melons, coconuts, &c., but he could very much be swallowing the foods completely, as depicted in Yoshi's Island when he swallows his opponents after grabbing them with his tongue.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Next time, don't post if all you're going to do is reply within one huge quote box. Don't be lazy.

K

I only brought up the hippopotamus to show that stubby legs doesn't mean anything. Ivysaur doesn't even need to approach anyway.

yes it does, it means he cannot outrun yoshi, Like i said, Hippos have stubby legs, but theyre BIG stubby legs, letting them go fast

Stupid reply to stupid answer is stupid.

K

Prove it.

Mario is a short dude, but not too short, as well as stocky. Id put him at like 5foot, 160. Yoshi isnt much bigger, but comparitivley not as stocky. So it's safe to assume that hes in the area of 200lbs

It gives Ivysaur the advantage. Yoshi doesn't have claws. And it doesn't matter if they are razor sharp. They're sticking out and pointy. A good slash in the eyes would do the trick.

Im not denying this, but how could Ivy get to Yoshi's eyes?

How fast does Mario run? Where are you getting this information from?

From you actually, you said the average speed of a human is like 10mph, i made him a WHOPPING 1mph faster, and in most games, you go like 2x as fast on yoshi without yoshi going full-speed (as well as having to carry mario). In SMW you can see when yoshi runs, its hard as hell to keep up.

Back up your assertions. Stop making up ****.

Go tackle the legs of someone much bigger than you, see if they fall.

And it sure as heck isn't going to be like knocking a basket ball away. And you've still got to prove that Yoshi is 200 pounds.

I allready did, and if Ivy is 33lbs like you said, then it would be like knocking away a 3year old

If Ivysaur even allows Yoshi to attack from behind. You know, turning around doesn't take much effort, even if Yoshi is faster than Ivysaur. If Yoshi grabs Ivysaur, he can use Poison Powder. I fail to see why if Ivysaur was ever flipped over, that he'd have a hard time getting back up. After all, he's only 33 lbs., right?

a 4 legged creature witha wide frame would actually have more trouble turning around, look at a turtle or a crab for example, they cannot whip around as fast becaus ethey must move their entire body, whereas something like a cat/crocodile can only move part of it's body and reach behind itself.

If yoshi grabs ivy, and the flower is pointed away, how will the powder reach him?

yes, he is very light, but at the same time he cannot reach above him, and hes ontop his flower, creating a little extra height, it will take a moment, giving yoshi the oppertunity to strike

Yoshi's snout gets in the way. Why do you think he uses his tongue to bring in food to swallow? What a shame Yoshi doesn't have that tongue of his in a realistic fight. Where are Yoshi's teeth? Also, "toss him"? Really? Ivysaur isn't a basket ball.

His teeth are in his cheeks, all fruit eating animals have a way of breaking up the fruit, nameley teeth/beak/mandibles.

hes no basketball, but he is 1/7th yoshi's weight. and tossing doesnt mean like accorss a footbal field, just tossing him over to his back or side

If he can bite Ivysaur, you know, with that snout getting in the way. Where are those teeth? You may say that he has eaten melons, coconuts, &c., but he could very much be swallowing the foods completely, as depicted in Yoshi's Island when he swallows his opponents after grabbing them with his tongue.
That isnt realistic though, he would need to chew food due to how big his throat is.

smashbot226

Smash Master
OKAY A FEW THINGS:

1. Yoshi HAS NO TEETH. He swallows things whole, so it could be POTENTIALLY possible for Yoshi to catch Ivysaur with his incredibly adhesive tongue, and tire Ivysaur out before he reels him in for a swallow. I mean, to be PERFECTLY honest, Yoshi has digested some more dangerous stuff before, right? Also, Yoshi probably has saliva constantly produced in that maw of his.

2. Yoshi is bigger and heavier than Ivysaur. Go check any respectable Pokemon website for stats.

3. WHY AREN'T PEOPLE TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT YOSHI CAN JUMP?

JOE!

Smash Hero
OKAY A FEW THINGS:

1. Yoshi HAS NO TEETH. He swallows things whole, so it could be POTENTIALLY possible for Yoshi to catch Ivysaur with his incredibly adhesive tongue, and tire Ivysaur out before he reels him in for a swallow. I mean, to be PERFECTLY honest, Yoshi has digested some more dangerous stuff before, right? Also, Yoshi probably has saliva constantly produced in that maw of his.

2. Yoshi is bigger and heavier than Ivysaur. Go check any respectable Pokemon website for stats.

3. WHY AREN'T PEOPLE TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT YOSHI CAN JUMP?
Yoshi would have teeth in RL, it needs teeth to eat the stuff it does, seeing as it's throught, while stretchy, cannot swallow things like pineapples and melons whole, or can he digest a cocnut without chewing/breaking it

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
Yoshi does not have teeth. Official art confirms this. He could still have a large bite force, but his primary eating method is swallowing things whole. Unfortunately, I find Ivysaur to be outside his range of consumption.

Yoshi, while pretty big (I remember something saying about 6 feet tall, but I can't remember the source), would be affected by a 30 pound Pokemon tackling him. Proportionally speaking, If you're a 180 pound human, and someone tosses a 27-pound ball at you at a speed of 15 miles per hour, it's probably going to knock you over.

I wish I could do my standard thing when it comes to Pokemon (providing pics, info, and movesets), but it's late. Mabye tommorow?

JOE!

Smash Hero
the problem is that ivy isnt gonna be movign that fast, or hitting his center of gravity to topple him.

As for snakes, they swallow their food via seperating their jaws and ribs, yoshi cannot

Jellies dissolve their prey to mush, they dont even have mouths

as for teeth, he'd be stuck with eating berries if he had none. He has teeth cheek, how else can he chew?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And you did it again. This really isn't enjoyable. Next time, I will wait for you to correct the way you quote before I reply. Otherwise, I just won't bother with this anymore. Sounds favorable on your part, doesn't it?

yes it does, it means he cannot outrun yoshi, Like i said, Hippos have stubby legs, but theyre BIG stubby legs, letting them go fast
All right. That's fine. Ivysaur doesn't need to approach.

Mario is a short dude, but not too short, as well as stocky. Id put him at like 5foot, 160. Yoshi isnt much bigger, but comparitivley not as stocky. So it's safe to assume that hes in the area of 200lbs
How safe is it to assume that? Really, I'd like to know.

Im not denying this, but how could Ivy get to Yoshi's eyes?
Knock Yoshi over, or jump against Yoshi and fire Toxic or Sludge Bomb into his eyes.

Go tackle the legs of someone much bigger than you, see if they fall.
Sure. Just tell me who to tackle. You see, legs are what supports you when you stand. You get hit at the legs, your legs are going to be taking in force. Imagine that being repeated. Furthermore, with the size of Yoshi, who isn't really that tall, this shouldn't be difficult on Ivysaur's part.

I allready did, and if Ivy is 33lbs like you said, then it would be like knocking away a 3year old
A three year old human boy? Because you know, Ivysaur isn't a three year old human boy. He's 3'3" while standing on all four legs. If he took the liberty to just jump up and stand on his two hind legs while standing against Yoshi, he wouldn't be as short. When a force is pushing against you, you're getting pushed back.

a 4 legged creature witha wide frame would actually have more trouble turning around, look at a turtle or a crab for example, they cannot whip around as fast becaus ethey must move their entire body, whereas something like a cat/crocodile can only move part of it's body and reach behind itself.
Turtles are already slow. They have a shell over most of their body. That's not a good comparison. Crabs, from what I am aware, walk sideways. Another bad comparison.

If yoshi grabs ivy, and the flower is pointed away, how will the powder reach him?
You know, with Yoshi approaching and all, he would have to try and get behind Ivysaur. Tell me, If your opponent were to attempt to get behind you, and you were capable of firing a substance that covers the vicinity around you, wouldn't you?

yes, he is very light, but at the same time he cannot reach above him, and hes ontop his flower, creating a little extra height, it will take a moment, giving yoshi the oppertunity to strike
It's not like Ivysaur is going to be like a side table and be perfectly upside down. Knock Ivysaur over, and he can just roll to the other side that he was being pushed to.

His teeth are in his cheeks, all fruit eating animals have a way of breaking up the fruit, nameley teeth/beak/mandibles.
Then how is Yoshi going to attack?

Gosh, seriously, I had to go back and edit more than once, just because you quote in a huge box instead of dissecting each quote.

JOE!

Smash Hero
And you did it again. This really isn't enjoyable. Next time, I will wait for you to correct the way you quote before I reply. Otherwise, I just won't bother with this anymore. Sounds favorable on your part, doesn't it?
anal much? jeeze dude...

How safe is it to assume that? Really, I'd like to know.
40lbs isnt much considering yoshi is taller, wider and longer than mario

Knock Yoshi over, or jump against Yoshi and fire Toxic or Sludge Bomb into his eyes.
how will he knock yoshi over? he doenst weigh that much...

Sure. Just tell me who to tackle. You see, legs are what supports you when you stand. You get hit at the legs, your legs are going to be taking in force. Imagine that being repeated. Furthermore, with the size of Yoshi, who isn't really that tall, this shouldn't be difficult on Ivysaur's part.
Dude, im a friggen wrestler, i know how to take someone down.

Yoshi isnt completley vertical, he is leaning forward slightly, therefor ivy cant just hit his legs with yoshi standing there, yoshi will obviosly try to push ivy away, which will be easy with his hands, stance and weight advantage

As for who to tackle, find someone who is 300lbs. I manage to take down my buddy during practice, but never by going rigth for the legs. In order to take someone down who's bigger that way, you need to focus on one leg, get them off balance, then finally tip them over, yousimply cannot take both at once, especcialy if that somethign weighs 7x as much as you do.

A three year old human boy? Because you know, Ivysaur isn't a three year old human boy. He's 3'3" while standing on all four legs. If he took the liberty to just jump up and stand on his two hind legs while standing against Yoshi, he wouldn't be as short. When a force is pushing against you, you're getting pushed back.
But why would he do that? that eliminates most of his good attack options, and then yoshi could push him or get out of teh way with his speed, and it would be even worse idea to push yoshi seeing as he eliminates 2 legs to push agains the ground, creating force.

also, of course hes not a 3 year old, but im just comparing his weight to one. when is the last time a 3 year old managed to move you?

Turtles are already slow. They have a shell over most of their body. That's not a good comparison. Crabs, from what I am aware, walk sideways. Another bad comparison.
Im using their shape as an example, they are low to the ground as well as wide& not too lengthy, like Ivysaur

You know, with Yoshi approaching and all, he would have to try and get behind Ivysaur. Tell me, If your opponent were to attempt to get behind you, and you were capable of firing a substance that covers the vicinity around you, wouldn't you?
He could get behind with his speed and jumping ability, and that substance only goes all around if he is pointing it vertically, if he is held in any other direction, the powder will go that way, then be at the mercy of wind and gravity. Itd be nice if wind blew it back to yoshi, but how often will that happen?

It's not like Ivysaur is going to be like a side table and be perfectly upside down. Knock Ivysaur over, and he can just roll to the other side that he was being pushed to.
of course now, it's just that while like that, he cant do **** to yoshi

Then how is Yoshi going to attack?
He opens his mouth wide (like he is shown to do) and chew. he could probably get a piece of his flower or leg/ear, nothing else.

he also has powerful legs/feet to stomp or kick with

Gosh, seriously, I had to go back and edit more than once, just because you quote in a huge box instead of dissecting each quote.
Im terribly sorry for having my own way of doing things, does conforming to your preferred way make it better?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Im terribly sorry for having my own way of doing things, does conforming to your preferred way make it better?
"His preferred" way? We're on a message board, it's everyone's preferred way - stop making your responses a hassle to work with.

Anywho, I swear I've seen a picture of Yoshi with teeth... >____>

Otherwise, why would chewing have any effect?

JOE!

Smash Hero
"His preferred" way? We're on a message board, it's everyone's preferred way - stop making your responses a hassle to work with.

Anywho, I swear I've seen a picture of Yoshi with teeth... >____>

Otherwise, why would chewing have any effect?
honestly, ive seen my way alot more around here unless one is dealing with multiple posters <.<

anywho, chewing is irrelevant, but teh fact he has teeth,m couples with a wide opening jaw and strong bite force means he can nom ivy.

top right

you can also see his teeth here

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
Yoshi, Super Mario 64 DS. No teeth.
Yoshi, Mario Kart DS. No teeth.
Yoshi & Baby Mario. No teeth.
Yoshi, Super Smash Bros. No teeth.
Yoshi, from Mario Hoops.. No teeth.

Source: http://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi#Official_Artwork
There's not a single picture there that shows Yoshi having teeth of any kind. The single sprite is the only time he's ever been depicted with them. In fact, none of the other sprites where Yoshi has his mouth open show any teeth. The inclusion of teeth is a visual enhancement, to express the fact that Yoshi is in pain.

JOE!

Smash Hero
^ at the same time, half the pics have his mouth closed, and the rest have them barely open...

my two sources actually show him showing teeth...

smashbot226

Smash Master
Yoshi doesn't have teeth JOE. I've known the Mario series for a looooong time. Yoshi has no teeth.

That doesn't mean Yoshi can't crush Ivysaur with his jaw force- the jaw IS the strongest muscle in the body after all. If Yoshi can get his mouth around ANY part of Ivysaur, save the bud, it's all over.

Also, I think adaptation could provide that Yoshi is immune to the type of poison Ivysaur has; he's still susceptible to sleeping and paralysis powders though, but generations in the jungle HAVE to pay off one way or another.

Furthermore, Yoshi is fully capable of retaining his stretchy tongue IRL. In fact, the only things Yoshi should NOT have is the ability to instantly digest foes into eggs in seconds and the ability to swallow enemies whole in one second.

Yoshi's tongue would have the same properties as, say, a chameleon's or any other type of animal with an extendable tongue. It'd be sticky and could latch onto Ivysaur and maybe pull him in, or toss him around.

But that's just imagination- BUT we cannot rule the tongue out as a weapon. Same goes with his non-flutter jump height plus weight, PRE-MADE eggs that could shatter into sharp pieces, etc.

I still think this goes to Ivysaur, but this is STILL a good matchup.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Teeth aren't attractive. When depicting a cartoon character it's rare they'll ever be outright depicted - it's something that everyone just assumes they have. Like... I dunno, Mario's armpit hair, or Luigi's nipples. Very unattractive, but existent.

And you can't chew without teeth - you can't crush with just a jaw. You need the buffer there, otherwise it's just the gums and the bone behind it.

nightSN

Smash Ace
hmmm doesnt yoshi have the option to kick? also look at the line of vision that yoshi has, i dont think his can see if he were looking down without head movement.

^ at the same time, half the pics have his mouth closed, and the rest have them barely open...

my two sources actually show him showing teeth...

Here you go that mouth is open and its offical artwork.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm beginning to think that Yoshi would be a very sluggish runner.

Let's look at his legs:

Notice how short and stubby his legs are. Those are not the legs of a good runner. Or jumper, for that matter. There's no way Yoshi would be able to jump very far at all with legs like those.

In fact I'd say they're proportionally shorter than those of Ivysaur.

As you can see, Ivysaur's legs make up about half of his body's height, while Yoshi's hardly make a third. With 4 legs and proportionally larger legs, I'd say Ivysaur is the faster one in this matchup.

I'd argue that Yoshi has no teeth. Because he swallows his food whole, like a snake, he wouldn't need them.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
@Yoshi teeth debate

I agree with meno, teeth aren't very attractive, Some times characters just look better without there teeth showing. Like in pokemon, there are a lot of sprites that show pokemon opening there mouth with no teeth but it's pretty obvious that they do have teeth.

Plus, JOE's sprite sheet shows that yoshi has been shown with teeth, and it was during a state of anger. Yoshi isn't usually portrayed as being angry in his artwork and if he ever is his mouth is usually closed.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Crystanium

Smash Hero
40lbs isnt much considering yoshi is taller, wider and longer than mario
Yoshi only appears to be wider, because of the way his body is proportioned. His body curves similarly to a banana. This is the same reason for his length. And I've already showed you that Yoshi really isn't that tall.

how will he knock yoshi over? he doenst weigh that much...
All right, you said you're a wrestler, so thirty pounds doesn't mean much to you. Try to remove the idea that because you're athletic, and that thirty pounds isn't anything to you, that it must mean the same for Yoshi. Yoshi's arms aren't built. Ask yourself, Which is heavier, thirty pounds of feathers, or thirty pounds of lead? The thing is, both are thirty pounds, but lead is heavier. You made the weight of Ivysaur equivalent to that of a human toddler, and yet, how do you know that Ivysaur would weigh the same as a human toddler, just because he's thirty pounds?

Yoshi isn't that big. I have shown that with pictures. Even in Yoshi's Island, Baby Mario is about the size of Yoshi's head. If we assumed that Baby Mario was 2 feet tall, just imagine an extra foot and three inches. Heck, even looking over those sprites and removing Baby Mario from the first image of Yoshi and comparing him to Yoshi from the third sprite with Yoshi's eyes closed and him standing straight on his two feet, Baby Mario is still big. This really isn't going to be a problem for Ivysaur, who stands at 3'3" when on all four legs. Ivysaur is also wide.

Yoshi isnt completley vertical, he is leaning forward slightly, therefor ivy cant just hit his legs with yoshi standing there, yoshi will obviosly try to push ivy away, which will be easy with his hands, stance and weight advantage
You're right, Ivysaur just can't hit the legs of Yoshi. He can just strike Yoshi head on. Stop acting like Yoshi is an immoveable object. It sure doesn't look like Burmy had a hard time here, and it's not as big or heavy as Chansey.

I fail to see why Ivysaur would have a hard time tackling Yoshi

But why would he do that? that eliminates most of his good attack options, and then yoshi could push him or get out of teh way with his speed, and it would be even worse idea to push yoshi seeing as he eliminates 2 legs to push agains the ground, creating force.
Not really. Since Ivysaur doesn't grip with its paws, since it doesn't have hands, coming down with its paws will cut Yoshi. Ivysaur, even without having to stand up on its hind legs while Yoshi supports it, can still fire Toxic and Sludge Bomb at Yoshi.

also, of course hes not a 3 year old, but im just comparing his weight to one. when is the last time a 3 year old managed to move you?
Is Ivysaur a human toddler? Does Ivysaur have the body of a human toddler?

Im using their shape as an example, they are low to the ground as well as wide& not too lengthy, like Ivysaur
But his legs aren't stubby like a turtle, nor do his legs work in the manner of a crab.

He could get behind with his speed and jumping ability, and that substance only goes all around if he is pointing it vertically, if he is held in any other direction, the powder will go that way, then be at the mercy of wind and gravity. Itd be nice if wind blew it back to yoshi, but how often will that happen?
Does stubby legged Yoshi have the speed and jumping ability to even perform that? I know, in Yoshi's Island, he can move fast and just get through the level in a short amount of time. Guess who could also do that? Samus Aran in every side-scrolling game, but we're not going to assume that Yoshi can move at speeds faster than Samus Aran, now are we? Not even jumping that high is realistic.

of course now, it's just that while like that, he cant do **** to yoshi
And you think Yoshi would have much time to do anything after that? Because of that bulb on Ivysaur's back, it's only going to fall to the side. Ivysaur, even if he stayed in that position, could still attack with its claws or fire Toxic or Sludge Bomb at Yoshi.

he also has powerful legs/feet to stomp or kick with
Yoshi has powerful legs, and he kicks?

Sorry, JOE!, but it's just nettiquette. The fact that if I quote you, and it only quotes the last thing outside of the quote box doesn't help much. I don't feel like having to copy what you said outside of the Quote and then paste it in here and try and sort things out.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yoshi only appears to be wider, because of the way his body is proportioned. His body curves similarly to a banana. This is the same reason for his length. And I've already showed you that Yoshi really isn't that tall.

none the less, he IS longer, taller and wider

Ask yourself, Which is heavier, thirty pounds of feathers, or thirty pounds of lead? The thing is, both are thirty pounds, but lead is heavier. You made the weight of Ivysaur equivalent to that of a human toddler, and yet, how do you know that Ivysaur would weigh the same as a human toddler, just because he's thirty pounds?
WTF?!?!?!?!

you just made No sense:

30lbs is 30lbs, but this 30lbs is heavier than that 30lbs, and that 30lbs isnt the same build as that 30lbs, so they arent the same weight

Yoshi isn't that big. I have shown that with pictures. Even in Yoshi's Island, Baby Mario is about the size of Yoshi's head. If we assumed that Baby Mario was 2 feet tall, just imagine an extra foot and three inches. Heck, even looking over those sprites and removing Baby Mario from the first image of Yoshi and comparing him to Yoshi from the third sprite with Yoshi's eyes closed and him standing straight on his two feet, Baby Mario is still big. This really isn't going to be a problem for Ivysaur, who stands at 3'3" when on all four legs. Ivysaur is also wide.
baby mario wouldnt be 2ft, he is *that* big on yoshi due to sprite constraints. And in the other pics where mario is involved, yoshi is either bigger, or mario is like 3'5"

You're right, Ivysaur just can't hit the legs of Yoshi. He can just strike Yoshi head on. Stop acting like Yoshi is an immoveable object. It sure doesn't look like Burmy had a hard time here, and it's not as big or heavy as Chansey.
Anime physics. And no, Yoshi isnt immovable, it will just be very hard for Ivy to move him.

I fail to see why Ivysaur would have a hard time tackling Yoshi
He shouldnt, really...but he weighs 30lbs, and theres no way he has enough mass to get enough power going to bowl yoshi over

Not really. Since Ivysaur doesn't grip with its paws, since it doesn't have hands

?

coming down with its paws will cut Yoshi. Ivysaur, even without having to stand up on its hind legs while Yoshi supports it, can still fire Toxic and Sludge Bomb at Yoshi.
And yoshi will stand there as somethign that cant grip it stands up to it?

Is Ivysaur a human toddler? Does Ivysaur have the body of a human toddler?
no, but he weighs as much as one, which is why i made the comparison

But his legs aren't stubby like a turtle, nor do his legs work in the manner of a crab.
They are rather stubby, you said so yourself. and I mad ethe comparison for their BODY SHAPE

Does stubby legged Yoshi have the speed and jumping ability to even perform that? I know, in Yoshi's Island, he can move fast and just get through the level in a short amount of time. Guess who could also do that? Samus Aran in every side-scrolling game, but we're not going to assume that Yoshi can move at speeds faster than Samus Aran, now are we? Not even jumping that high is realistic.
1) yoshi would also have a head that is 1/2 his body, his legs would in reality be bigger, and his head smaller compared to the pics, but not drastically.

That being said, the way he is depicted to move suggests he has a very long stride length, and teh ability to move his legs very fast, indicating strength to compensate for lack of *true* length.

He should be able to run decenly, if not for too long, and jump.

2) Name 1 platformer hero that couldnt get through a lvl fast if you did a speed run?
also, samus has the boost stuff with her

And you think Yoshi would have much time to do anything after that? Because of that bulb on Ivysaur's back, it's only going to fall to the side. Ivysaur, even if he stayed in that position, could still attack with its claws or fire Toxic or Sludge Bomb at Yoshi.
While Ivy is on his side, he cannot do anything for those 3-4 sec it takes to right himself, an seeing as yoahi's arms arent too massive, he wouldnt be too far from yoshi, making an attack possible

Yoshi has powerful legs, and he kicks?
He can kick, he has strong feet, why wouldnt he?

Just tossing that out there as well, this is becoming teh fucstercluck Falcon vs Falco was <.<

ivy allready has an edge due to poison...

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
... ICE CREAM, who here like ice cream?...

Well, going back to the yoshi teeth debate, I think it's safe to say that yoshi does have teeth. Joe showed a game where yoshi beared his teeth, and there's another game that I never heard of where yoshi bears his teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-O6rugrBB0 ----> Around 0:35 yoshi shows his teeth when he flutter jumps.

Even if official artwork doesn't depict teeth, the "offical games" do show teeth. Maybe they're retractable, I don't know. It is clear that yoshi does have teeth though. Another quote from http://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi_(species))

"The Fighting Polygons version of a Yoshi shows three pointy teeth, even though in the game [SSBM] Yoshi didn't show teeth. Yoshis' teeth were also seen in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island death scenes and the Flutter Jump animation in Yoshi's Universal Gravitation. "

Case closed please.

Regarding the matchup: After reviewing all the heated debate between Joe and Dryn, I think yoshi only barely stands a chance if he can rush to ivysaur before he feels the debilitating effects of the posion, sleep, and paralyze powder/spores. I still give this match to ivysaur, however. I'll reform my opinions as I continue to read people's arguments.

tocador

Smash Lord
People assume that ivy can just throw intantly his spores in every direction and he can do this while fighting. Really? You see, in the pokemon game, ivy couldnt do anything besides using spores in one turn. This should mean something, like it had some "pre-cast" if you will. Meaning that it may take some time UNTIL his spores PRODUCE the substance to then throw them. And no, ivy cant use 3 spores at the same time. Only if he was magical, or he expelled a bit of each one.

Another fact it that in pokemon games, the powder sometimes missed. Lets then think about it:

Why does a powder that can theorically be "aimed" miss? Well maybe the pokemon can just run and not be caught with it! Wait? No, then the powder will never hit, so yeah, no that....

WOW. HOLLY C***ALONE, MAYBE HE CANT AIM THE POWDER! Yeah thats right folks. Maybe ivy just throw it out there and hopes for the best, cause if you see, his spore is always aimed upwards, and in fact ive never seen he moving it, except if if stays on two legs or such.

And the fact that pokemon have a "pseudo-stamina" should give a advantage for yohsi as well :D!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Oh, gosh. I just realized something. You're the creator of this thread. This could take forever if we continue. I don't think it's wise that the creator of a thread like this should participate for bias reasons. It's like being the judge in a game, and the judge plays one side, and yeah, it just doesn't work out too well in the end. I'm just going to remove myself and remove what I wrote.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
People assume that ivy can just throw intantly his spores in every direction and he can do this while fighting. Really? You see, in the pokemon game, ivy couldnt do anything besides using spores in one turn. This should mean something, like it had some "pre-cast" if you will. Meaning that it may take some time UNTIL his spores PRODUCE the substance to then throw them. And no, ivy cant use 3 spores at the same time. Only if he was magical, or he expelled a bit of each one.
We aren't basing this off of game mechanics. For example, because it is impossible for Rayquaza to fly, he couldn't fly in his matchup. Ivysaur could easily release a cloud spores as he wanted at any time.

I see no reason he couldn't use 3 spores at once.

Another fact it that in pokemon games, the powder sometimes missed. Lets then think about it:

Why does a powder that can theorically be "aimed" miss? Well maybe the pokemon can just run and not be caught with it! Wait? No, then the powder will never hit, so yeah, no that....

WOW. HOLLY C***ALONE, MAYBE HE CANT AIM THE POWDER! Yeah thats right folks. Maybe ivy just throw it out there and hopes for the best, cause if you see, his spore is always aimed upwards, and in fact ive never seen he moving it, except if if stays on two legs or such.
You're still basing your arguement on game mechanics. In reality, Ivysaur's spores would linger in the air around him.

And the fact that pokemon have a "pseudo-stamina" should give a advantage for yohsi as well :D!
*facepalm*

EDIT: I'm going to compose a list of weapons each has access to.

Ivysaur
- Toxic spores (ranged, harmful if inhaled)
- Biting (melee)
- Claws (melee)
- Sludge Bomb? (ranged)
- Ramming attacks (melee)

Yoshi
- Biting (melee)
- Tongue (short ranged)
- Kicks (melee)
- Arms (melee)
- Ramming (melee)

I don't think Yoshi's tail would make a good weapon. It's very short.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter anymore, Zook. We're disagreeing, not only with people who think Yoshi would win, but with the creator of the thread. So, either way, I see two things happening here. 1. It'll end up being a tie, though I disagree with that. 2. Yoshi wins, which I also disagree with.

A judge should never play a part. A judge should just stand back and watch, and the end results be what determine who wins and who does not.

gm jack

Smash Lord
People also seem to be forgetting that Ivysaur has his vines. At a most basic level, they can slap Yoshi around the head if he gets too close. Otherwise, Ivysaur, could potentially trip Yoshi and then bind his legs, while attacking in other ways. Of course, they probably won't be strong enough to pick Yoshi off the ground or completely immobilise him for long, if at all. However, the range should allow him to put massive pressure on Yoshi while trying to trip and entangle Yoshi.

Moozle

Smash Champion
People also seem to be forgetting that Ivysaur has his vines. At a most basic level, they can slap Yoshi around the head if he gets too close. Otherwise, Ivysaur, could potentially trip Yoshi and then bind his legs, while attacking in other ways. Of course, they probably won't be strong enough to pick Yoshi off the ground or completely immobilise him for long, if at all. However, the range should allow him to put massive pressure on Yoshi while trying to trip and entangle Yoshi.
They have been saying that the vines aren't able to be used, but I think that they definitely should at least be allowed to be used at their smallest extent. Taking them away is basically taking away his arms. If we say that they only reach like 2 feet (which I think is more than reasonable) would they be seen as tentacles? I think this is only fair.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Folks, understand a certain idea of science. Once it's shown to exist, something ALWAYS exists.

It may be redefined due to lack of presence in some circumstances, and you may not understand it, but if we see a ball at 10-o'clock eastern standard time precisely 5 inches from the southwest corner of my house, the fact of that observation is always there.

So, if we have an official source that shows him having teeth, then Yoshi has teeth. Now the question is, "why hasn't he shown teeth in the other shots"?

The easiest possibility is that they're retractible.

Top Bottom