• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swanky's Sideshow: Diddy Kong Video Arkive and Kritique Thread

didds

Smash Lord
http://www.twitch.tv/fluxwolf/b/518759981 More footage! Critique and what not are all welcome. Heck, you can even tell me I suck and give me zero advice!

first: start of video, part is cut out. It was a super goofy match with silly item gimps.
second: 3:07
third: 7:40
fourth: 17:50
fifth: 57:20
sixth: 1:15:55
seventh: (doubles match): 2:28:12
eighth: (doubles match) 2:31:03
ninth: (doubles match) 2:48:05
tenth: (doubles match) 2:52:36
eleventh (doubles): 2:58:17
twelfthhththt? (doubles): 2:58:15
13 (doubles) : 3:02:01
14 (doubles): 3:06:46
15th: 3:11:03, dumb suicide
16th: 3:16:27
17th: 3:22:33
thanks guys, kind of a long list, I think I'm getting more consistent. I find that I take awhile to warm up though.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Okay guys, I went to my second tournament. Big Eastern Washington regional, Montana and central Washington and Idaho attended, 50+ players, this time Chip was there. If you don't know who Chip is, he's amazing, and Eastern Washington's best kept secret, because he never travels outside of Washington and rarely even goes as far as the west side, so no one hears about him. He beat Bladewise in January and I don't believe he's lost to anyone in Melee in this region except SilentWolf and Bladewise in the last year as far as I know.

It was Chip's first time playing PM, but he won the tournament anyway. I lost two sets to take 5th, one to Jamnt0ast's Mario (who took 2nd), which was a respectable loss (puts me 1-1 with him) and one to Artifice's Peach.

The set against the Peach makes me cringe when I watch it. I repeatedly fail to punish shielded smashes and get punished for the attempt and generally show that I have no idea what I'm doing there.

I'd really appreciate some critiques. Here are all the sets I recorded against ranked Melee players for Eastern Washington, in the order in which they were played.

vs Kamaji (Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJBw_RkWi4

vs Jamnt0ast (Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzq6wtYOVvA

vs Artifice (Peach)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w0vf2SLVeI

Bonus (from earlier in my bracket):
Vs Mr. Dr. Jacob (Kirby/TLink) from Idaho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Oi_lZS1NE

I could really use some refinement vs Mario and a huge playstyle overhaul on Peach.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

lokt

Smash Cadet
@ Praxis Praxis
I only watched the peach video, so I'll comment on that.

http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=3m53s: this should be a free edgehog.

When Peach hits your shield, you don't know how to respond: see http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=5m54s, http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=1m27s
Try to start using wavedash oos and rolling. In the clips above, you release your shield after the arial(shield grab?); never do this. Peach's shield pressure involves jabbing once after her arial attack, downsmashing, and straight up grabbing if they expect you to hold shield; single jab is the safest and most commonly used option. You can shield grab this after the jab if you predict this.
I think you really need to improve your oos shield options,you need to start using wavedash oos and glide toss oos(as a defensive option) if you have a banana. e.g., at http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=4m6s, when peach whiffs her bair, you could easily wd oos and reset the situation. There are other times where you get stuck in shield also, rewatch the video for that.

For ledge options, try to mix it up and use invincible wavelands --> shield. I feel that you are predictable with side-b from the ledge or an attempt to edge-cancel up-b.

That's all I have, for now, I tried to be objective and only comment on specifics since one can play Diddy in many different ways. I personally prefer to stay grounded, focus on movement and stage control w/ bananas(you had the opportunies to pluck them since peach is such a floaty character). But do whatever works for you, and just focus on gaining experience with the matchup.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Artifice's Peach looks like my melee peach in double lol. Float>bair to Dsmash, throw turnips just because
He does A LOT of float Bair> dsmash, if he float aerials your shield just roll or Glide toss away.
Jabbing vs peach is a bad idea, you'll get CC-dsmashed.
Air dodge/wavedash/zgrab to pick up some of his turnips once in a while, it does't hurt to take a free projectile if he throws it at you when he isn't pressuring you.
Don't try extended juggles on peach, or at least respect the nair. Combos on peach are pretty limited, I really like side-b slap>dair>fallling nair/bair in this MU. following up juggles with AGT ups are nice too.
At around the 2 min mark you got a grab against her on PS at like 160. PS2 still has PS1's low ceiling (It does, the only difference is in camera) so Up-throw kills peach pretty early on that stage. And as I type this you do it right afterward lol
refreshing ledge infincibility is risky vs peach because you'll get dsmash like what happened at like 2:30. What Lokt ^ said above about ledge wavelands is really good, Ledge jumps are really strong as well.
If a peach whiffs a dsmash, Go for a Dair punish. Its a good option because you can SH it and hit her head, avoiding most of the dsmash hitboxes. It also combos into like everything.
edge guarding Peach is different, I'm not sure how familar you are with Melee peach's recovery (Is it a lot like brawl peach's? I honestly don't know) but your goal is first to wrack up percent while she is off stage, and your secondary objective is to get her below parallel to the ledge, which makes it a lot simpler. I like to Arch banana toss's in her float path, if she doesn't back up you can bair/fair her, if she does then you just gained a little bit of ground and some decent pressure.
Trading with her nairs isn't great when trying to kill her offf stage, but if you trade a fair for her nair its definitely in your favor. edit: you did this at like the 3 min mark
Combo enders you are looking for are the usual, but I find its a lot better to go for Dairs at mid percents instead of fairs, because honestly you'll get a lot more off of peach if you have her in a tech chase situation as opposed to her recovering. Just be wary of wake up d-smash, and d-smash on platforms.

Oh, and DA at low percents will just be CC>dsmash. So can fsmash.
Dsmash>side step > dsmash is 100% a thing you have to be aware of, make your punishes on dsmash fast and efficiently because you'll just eat another one of they predict your specific option. If you read the side-step and don't act, just side-b.
Recovering low vs peach is super free for her, she can just z-drop a turnip and grab ledge. Alternatively she can Float out and nair you. Early up-bs and aiming really high are your best bets.

ONE MORE EDIT: If you're ever in a situation where you landed the side-b but already double jumped, try to do the jump>up-b or jump> WL down >smash. You'll get more off of it than just attacking and not following it up.

I have like zero mario exp, but what I do know is that if Mario FH fireballs near you, try to Glidetoss under him and throw up. Its a useful tool in the MU imo, didn't watch the vids though :s

Banana Pulls off stage are good edge guarding tools in that MU too.

I would have a Match vs a Wario to show you guys but I didn't go Diddy at our last tourney. Relationship johns, ****ty day, etc, Just wanted to press buttons so I went Fox in both brackets

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Thank you guys so much, these are fantastic critiques and everything I was hoping for.

It's painful to review the Artifice match as I clearly had no idea what I was doing. I started resorting to a ton of dash attack spam because it seemed to be the only thing that was working, and I used a lot of side-B's because I couldn't figure out how to space. It's cringeworthy. I needed this help.

@ Praxis Praxis
I only watched the peach video, so I'll comment on that.

http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=3m53s: this should be a free edgehog.

When Peach hits your shield, you don't know how to respond: see http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=5m54s, http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=1m27s
Try to start using wavedash oos and rolling. In the clips above, you release your shield after the arial(shield grab?); never do this.

Peach's shield pressure involves jabbing once after her arial attack, downsmashing, and straight up grabbing if they expect you to hold shield; single jab is the safest and most commonly used option. You can shield grab this after the jab if you predict this.
Some of these are shield grabs, some are nairs OOS. I have a really bad tendency to accidentally shieldgrab when trying to nair OOS, because I am holding shield and press X+A. If I do it too fast, the game performs a jump cancelled grab (because L+A right after X) instead of a nair OOS. In Brawl, doing the same inputs would simply buffer the nair OOS rather than shieldgrabbing. Either way, both nair OOS and shieldgrab are the wrong options, so I'll work on this.

What should I do in this case, assuming I'm not predicting a jab-grab? Just hold my shield through the ariel, jab, and dsmash, and then wavedash away without punishing?

I think you really need to improve your oos shield options,you need to start using wavedash oos and glide toss oos(as a defensive option) if you have a banana. e.g., at http://youtu.be/4w0vf2SLVeI?t=4m6s, when peach whiffs her bair, you could easily wd oos and reset the situation. There are other times where you get stuck in shield also, rewatch the video for that.
Thanks, I'll work on this. You're right that I don't wavedash OOS enough.

For ledge options, try to mix it up and use invincible wavelands --> shield. I feel that you are predictable with side-b from the ledge or an attempt to edge-cancel up-b.
Just to validate, when you say invincible waveland > shield, you mean grab the ledge, release, jump, and waveland very quickly? Does the invincibility last all the way until the shield comes out or will I still eat a dsmash if it's happening as I'm wavelanding?

Thanks much :)

Artifice's Peach looks like my melee peach in double lol. Float>bair to Dsmash, throw turnips just because
He does A LOT of float Bair> dsmash, if he float aerials your shield just roll or Glide toss away.
Jabbing vs peach is a bad idea, you'll get CC-dsmashed.
Air dodge/wavedash/zgrab to pick up some of his turnips once in a while, it does't hurt to take a free projectile if he throws it at you when he isn't pressuring you.
Don't try extended juggles on peach, or at least respect the nair. Combos on peach are pretty limited, I really like side-b slap>dair>fallling nair/bair in this MU. following up juggles with AGT ups are nice too.
At around the 2 min mark you got a grab against her on PS at like 160. PS2 still has PS1's low ceiling (It does, the only difference is in camera) so Up-throw kills peach pretty early on that stage. And as I type this you do it right afterward lol
refreshing ledge infincibility is risky vs peach because you'll get dsmash like what happened at like 2:30. What Lokt ^ said above about ledge wavelands is really good, Ledge jumps are really strong as well.
All good observations.

If a peach whiffs a dsmash, Go for a Dair punish. Its a good option because you can SH it and hit her head, avoiding most of the dsmash hitboxes. It also combos into like everything.
Ok, here's a question. What do you do once dsmash is hitting your shield? I tried doing bair and fair OOS several times, like at 3:36, or 7:00. It only worked if he tried to grab or attack after the dsmash- every time he did dsmash to spotdodge my fair or bair OOS would whiff.

Was I doing it too late? Should I just WD or roll away every time?

edge guarding Peach is different, I'm not sure how familar you are with Melee peach's recovery (Is it a lot like brawl peach's? I honestly don't know) but your goal is first to wrack up percent while she is off stage, and your secondary objective is to get her below parallel to the ledge, which makes it a lot simpler. I like to Arch banana toss's in her float path, if she doesn't back up you can bair/fair her, if she does then you just gained a little bit of ground and some decent pressure.
Noted. Nope, Peach's recovery is nothing like Brawl. Brawl Peach has the smallest second jump in the game, and it's very quick with no DJC. She actually has less recovery range, though she's got a much longer Peach Bomber to make up for it, but the tiny second jump makes her godlike in getting back on stage because her moves all autocancel in Brawl, so if Peach gets the ledge in Brawl she can just hop on stage with an invincible autocancelled fair (and Brawl's fair's hitbox is way in front of Peach with the range of Marth's fair, so it's extremely hard to punish this).

I think Melee Peach has a harder time actually getting off the ledge, but I don't know what to do once she's there. I also forget that she can't throw out aerials during her second jump because of Brawl.

When I play as PM Peach I do pretty well onstage (though I whiff a ton of fairs), but I instantly kill myself offstage because I jump my aerials and accidentally DJC when trying to recover. The completely different air game is why I have a hard time understanding PM/Melee Peach.

Trading with her nairs isn't great when trying to kill her offf stage, but if you trade a fair for her nair its definitely in your favor. edit: you did this at like the 3 min mark
Combo enders you are looking for are the usual, but I find its a lot better to go for Dairs at mid percents instead of fairs, because honestly you'll get a lot more off of peach if you have her in a tech chase situation as opposed to her recovering. Just be wary of wake up d-smash, and d-smash on platforms.

Oh, and DA at low percents will just be CC>dsmash. So can fsmash.
Oh, this is my worst thing. There is no crouch cancelling in Brawl so I never think about it. So I go for jabs and dash attacks at low percents all the time. I need to work on being aware of CC.

Dsmash>side step > dsmash is 100% a thing you have to be aware of, make your punishes on dsmash fast and efficiently because you'll just eat another one of they predict your specific option. If you read the side-step and don't act, just side-b.
Okay, so as I asked earlier, help me out on this- what's the best punish once a dsmash hits my shield? I'm too far to grab or nair, fair/bair don't seem to reach. If I predict a sidestep should I just drop shield and charge a dsmash? Or is there something guaranteed and light I can do (assuming no banana in hand)?

I definitely need to hold on to my naners more vs Peach.
Recovering low vs peach is super free for her, she can just z-drop a turnip and grab ledge. Alternatively she can Float out and nair you. Early up-bs and aiming really high are your best bets.

ONE MORE EDIT: If you're ever in a situation where you landed the side-b but already double jumped, try to do the jump>up-b or jump> WL down >smash. You'll get more off of it than just attacking and not following it up.
Wait, side-B Diddy Hump, press X then up-B...you're saying that works? And Waveland to dsmash?

Thanks so much for your help and answers guys, I really appreciate it. Going for second on our PR next update; I'm just behind Jamn's Mario I lost to there.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@ Praxis Praxis Yeah Side-b Hump is basically a footstool, so hump>instant up-b hits(I haven't been able to get the meteor hitbox though, only the horizontal ones) and hump>Airdodge down> dsmash/upsmash/grab are all frame traps, possibly guaranteed depending on the character's height and how fast you push the buttons.

Melee peach has a lot of trouble getting off the ledge, Pm peach not as bad because ledge jumps are a good option now. If you just stand near the ledge she doesn't have a lot of options, her best is like drop>DJ>Float cancel fair> things, but you can dash out/in of its range and punish accordingly (just don't get dsmashed). Just watch out for her umping from the ledge because she can float at any time during it and nair the whole time, etc.

Ill ask my Peach main friend on what to do against dsmash on shield and dsmash> side step. I'm used to be able to Jump OoS >dair shine and just shine OoS, lol I still don't know what Diddy can do lol. Staying in shield isn't a bad options, rolling behind isn't bad either but it just resets the situation instead of netting a punish. I'll ask him and edit this

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
"Fc fair > dsmash on shield: best response is light shield + shield tilt down or buffer roll away (preferred shield tilt + light shield). There's no safe offensive punish since fc fair > dsmash is safe. Sidestep > dsmash: best response is to hit her in the head with an aerial during dsmash or double jump to bait out dsmash"-- advice from Pat Combo

Light shielding doesn't exist so I guess just shield tilt down so you don't get shield stabbed and bufffer a roll away. Bait out the second Dsmash and punish it.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
"Fc fair > dsmash on shield: best response is light shield + shield tilt down or buffer roll away (preferred shield tilt + light shield). There's no safe offensive punish since fc fair > dsmash is safe. Sidestep > dsmash: best response is to hit her in the head with an aerial during dsmash or double jump to bait out dsmash"-- advice from Pat Combo

Light shielding doesn't exist so I guess just shield tilt down so you don't get shield stabbed and bufffer a roll away. Bait out the second Dsmash and punish it.

...I wonder if up-B OOS would hit her dress.
Probably not.

lokt

Smash Cadet
...I wonder if up-B OOS would hit her dress.
Probably not.
You can wd back oos. You won't get a guaranteed punish but you can easily make peach feel the threat of dash-attack/sideb and capitalize off of your positional advantage.

You definitely want to work on a few basic tech things. You miss alot of l cancels and techs. Learn to angle your up-b recovery to sweet spot the ledge.
You need to improve your fundamentals. Your actions are predictable; You are always rushing at the opponent and using dash-attack or nair and getting punished for it. I'd suggest watching some videos of high level players to improve upon this.

I'm hoping to get a few of my videos for critique soon, but I have no idea how to record them. Any advice on how I can record 60fps video with just a webcam and a cheap laptop?

Shoto

Smash Apprentice
You definitely want to work on a few basic tech things. You miss alot of l cancels and techs. Learn to angle your up-b recovery to sweet spot the ledge.
You need to improve your fundamentals. Your actions are predictable; You are always rushing at the opponent and using dash-attack or nair and getting punished for it. I'd suggest watching some videos of high level players to improve upon this.
Yeah, whenever I go up against someone who is tons better than me, I get nervous. The up-B is a good recovery really, but the last few times I used it, it seemed like I always fell short of the ledge which really sucks. I'll be going to another tourney soon, and I'll post a second video with your advice in mind. Thanks man :D

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm hoping to get a few of my videos for critique soon, but I have no idea how to record them. Any advice on how I can record 60fps video with just a webcam and a cheap laptop?
Are you planning on uploading to Youtube? Because it'd be useless to record at 60fps.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I need to get some critique vs Kirby and Sonic. I'm worthless against Sonic apparently- this is my first time ever fighting a Sonic (he had been practicing a pocket Sonic to surprise me with) and I was trying to figure out responses on the fly in tournament. Sorry for poor video quality, this is more of a crew house tournament.

Praxis (Diddy) vs MahBoi (Sonic) Winners Finals (No sound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEeAeoyPpt0

Praxis (Diddy) vs Phatty (Kirby) Winners Semi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAek1kuFk0

Praxis (Diddy) vs Phatty (Kirby) Losers Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nMrdMsH1Q

Alas, the first stock in the Winners Semi's was lost due to stream failure unfortunately, including mysuccessfully recovered offstage triple spike kill on Kirby (dair to jump dair to up-B).

Bonus match:
Praxis vs Nerfy, a very one sided tournament match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiUnwJ-Kck

Last edited:

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Disqo vs Hashtag
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oGPdzXCjk

Him and I already talked about the matches, and despite the stick differences the matches were pretty well played. He is the best diddy I've played against and he is far more experienced with the character.

There were small things I noticed he did that I did not that I was later doing that immediately opened my options as well during matches later that tournament.

All in all I think it was a good ditto..

Disqo 2gud, and i gotta catch up.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Disqo vs Hashtag
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oGPdzXCjk

Him and I already talked about the matches, and despite the stick differences the matches were pretty well played. He is the best diddy I've played against and he is far more experienced with the character.

There were small things I noticed he did that I did not that I was later doing that immediately opened my options as well during matches later that tournament.

All in all I think it was a good ditto..

Disqo 2gud, and i gotta catch up.
Nice job, I'm hoping to get my first Diddy ditto in in two weeks when Bladewise gets here, even if it's just a friendly :) I've yet to meet another Diddy PM player.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
It was my first time playing a ditto against a diddy THAT good. Disqo and I also noted that that match was very momentum based. Whoever got control of it first stayed in the lead.

He was the better diddy, and like I said, he was doing some things that I was not. What made it even more awesome is me seeing it mid play and thinking "that's awesome, why didn't I think of that?" lol.

It was probably the most fun match I've had in a long while.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Hashtag is probably the best diddy I've seen, as far as character knowledge experience goes. He's still learning some ins and outs of the game and other characters as a whole. But as far as I'm concerned, he has the most potential with this character than anyone else I've seen.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah hashtag has been getting really good really fast, he was on point on saturday even with being OoS (and out of practice?) for the month before.

I wish I had gotten to play you or really talk to you at all Disqo, but you and Hashtag got a lot of friendlies in so thats great. I would have tried to hop in or something but I was so dead, TOing after pulling an all nighter packing and cleaning my dorm room was a stupid idea. I'm just surprised I stayed awake the whole tourney. I think I got a few games in with Mac and Red.

If I'm ever in one of the carpools going to socal for an SSS or something we should get some games in so you can tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong lol. Its probably that I only practice melee and expect things to carry over to PM (and they do, somewhat) but then I have to re-learn nuances with diddy and apply things on the fly instead of actually having decent fundamentals.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Last edited:

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
At 1:53 He was clearly hoping to get a sweetspot fair out of it which whould have won him a stock.

7:20 is reason. He simply wanted to get Chillin in an edgeguard situation but failed said edgeguard.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Junebug like back throw a lot. Its a good throw if they DI away expecting the d-throw. For edge guarding, assuming they DI away because they don't want to get d-throw >faired, its better because they end it further and farther down.

at 7:20 and 7:36 Chillin did DI in both times, so a dthrow > fair would have been better for getting the stock. I think with that DI and that percent I sill would have up-thrown though. He wasn't at too high % and With the DI Up-throw Dair would have connected and beeen a better reset imo (Disqo, junebug and Joe have been doing this a lot and I'm starting to steal it vs fast fallers. Disqo in particular did it like 6 times vs K9 last time they played)

I still really like June's Item play, I just wish he wouldn't always pull out two bananas. his control with them and his use of them to catch people out of the air and continue combos is great, he just gets punished for always going for banana control before oppoent control (if that makes sense?) like in his set vs K9, Shawn won game 2 and 3 from just Bairing June as he jumped up to grab a banana on a ledge, catching him with no jumps and no DI.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Need critiques of the last two videos. We just had our big regional, here are all my matches.

Winner's quarters (vs G&W):
http://www.twitch.tv/breadnbuttergames/b/531818877?t=8h26m15s

Winner's semis (vs MK):
http://www.twitch.tv/breadnbuttergames/b/531818877?t=9h6m40s

Winners finals (vs Mewtwo): (I start this on game 3 because I mostly win games 1-2 through his inexperience with the MU)
http://www.twitch.tv/breadnbuttergames/b/531818877?t=10h0m30s

Losers finals (vs Marth):
http://www.twitch.tv/breadnbuttergames/b/531818877?t=10h32m01s

Also, if you watch the Winner's Quarters clip, I throw a banana at the commentators- IRL. :)

If you watch any videos, make it the last two- these are my losses and the ones I really need help on. The Marth match in particular is against our region's best player, Chip (who entered PM rather stoned).

This is my first time ever fighting a good Melee Marth, so I don't know where to DI a lot of his stuff including throws and it shows. Definitely need some help here.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You throw the peanut, then the banana, to be accurate to the AGT cancel. Oh actually, you should buy like some sort of potato gun that can launch the peanut

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
JPRyan04
Only got to tank one match on a good samus so i dont have as much experience as someone else, but people gave some good advice in previous post when I asked so will repeat what was said.
#1. You probably shouldnt fight samus on wario ware, probably a bad idea( assuming since yoshi story was bad choice for me). With that being said, the thing that stuck out first was that you dont really use bananas as much as other diddy players. granted tripping has been nerfed, they are still a good option for shutting down samus's zoning since they bounce off of missiles for a toss into agt. Combine that with peanuts, and you can force her to come after you.
#2. The samus player was in ice mode, and while the killing potential off fair increased, a well placed spot dodge or roll will completely get you out of everything but nair and zair, one of which she cant really use if you are zoning her. Ice mode hitboxes dont last as long, making the punish window longer.
#3. The last things noticed were more in the fundamentals. while her dash attack is a nice move, her grab is usually too risky for most samus players to pull out on the run, so it is generally safe to block or spotdodge and grab her to punish it. Also, in general you do not want to be stuck on the platforms, that lead to a loss in stock very early on one of your lives. and charging the up b or angling a little more will keep you from landing into a punish. To give you an idea, here is a vid of a friendly (at 2a.m) where i was going over how good diddy can set up tech chases. I would have videos of me fighting a really good diddy main & rob player, but a lot of the videos got messed up, except for some of the last battles of the night. Since i didnt practice chaingrabs & followups on fastfallers at the time of the video, you will notice a miss of the zero to death goodness, but there are still some subtle fundamentals like gt breversal agt edgeguarding & dash dancing. Apologize for the lack of sound, and please Keep in mind video two, an idiot yelled out he is doing upb helping my friend with the d.i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUaXcwryl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t-Uc99TKDc

Last edited:

JPRyan04

Smash Rookie
Premium
I wasn't aware of Samus's ice set hitboxes being shortened in duration. As for the stage selection, we chose random simply because we were playing between the end of the PM tournament and the beginning of Melee matches. We didn't want to spend too much time picking stages. As soon as I saw it was WW, I cringed :p

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else feel like ivysauar is a hard match up for diddy.

Heyseuss' ivy is really good and even though i won this set ( i usually don't win) I would like some critiques. I feel like everything ivy has hit's diddy just hard enough to combo the ever living **** out of him lol.

Hashtag Diddy vs Heysuess Ivysaur at 56 minutes into the video. I can't get the link to work right.

http://www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee/b/533220065?t=0h56m0s

Last edited:

Bellioes

Smash Lord
http://youtu.be/HcJYct2e6DY

Hey guys, heres a recent match between me and my brother (he mains Fox/Falco). Its not some high level gameplay or anything. All comments and critque are welcome. I know Im still a scrub with a lot to improve so dont go easy on me. And sorry about the horrible quality. Im working on getting a capture card for higher quality videos in the future. In the mean time, all I can do is record my TV screen.. :/

Some personal comments:
- I shield/roll way too much
- I feel my banana game is too straightforward.
- Though it was friendlies, the Fox was living to ridiculously high percents. Need to work on kill set-ups.

Theres are probably more which is why Im here. Anyways, enjoy and thanks for the help guys.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
What I saw is you need to Uthrow more at lower %'s, and finish off your combos with Fair more often. More Usmash is always good too, I saw a Usmash OoS which is nice.

Other than that, just keep playing and working on your movement options and fluidity. It'll all come in time.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Wednesday evening, Eagle Smash will be streaming the Hot Seat, again.

While the chair of the Hot Seat has not yet been accepted by Captain Salty, he is currently the one lined up for it.

Stop by and watch, chat with us, and give us your thoughts, starting at about 1600 / 4:00p.m, 2 July! Eastern

twitch.tv/eaglesmash

While I am not in the hot seat this week, Statesboro is in the development stages of creating a scene, and we hope to have everything set by the August 29, round robin during fall semester. I will be part of the large group of various players playing against captain salty, and it would be a big help if people could stop by and dropoff some advice for improving the stream.(This is a test so only gameplay and audio testing this time around) Please leave notes for the players to improve their play as it gives things to practice in free time. Criticism is greatly appreciated. I will post my fights later for my own separate critiques. Thanks in advance diddy forum.

Edit: captain salty (sheik) confirmed to be in hot seat. Each person gives him three different sets. I will probably go two sets diddy one set trying Lucas out. Don't be surprised if you see me trying to magnet glide with diddy a few times, tried to learn Lucas all in one day. Stop by and leave notes for the upcoming sheik main, and useful videos and I will pass them along. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Would like to thank all the spectators that tuned into the stream as well as people that tried to leave captain salty with advice. While playing, we all took times measuring combo game, zoning, teching, and footsies. And after reviewing footage, I believe he will make substantial progress. I will send a few of my matches on here later when I get the chance. One team battle combo shows why you should never miss a dair tech, and I went out of my way to show what the chain grab should look like in several matches.

What I learned: My camp diddy play style is way better and more reliable against Roy link dk mario and the entire (explicit) cast. I tried the aggro play style today and it just doesn't suit me at all. Gen eagle's link straight up bodies me in aggro play. If you have to fight him, take out the SD card and turn the match into brawl cause zoning is far less dangerous and more effective. Abstract don't know how you play captain diddy. What I noticed during the matches was that while diddy is versatile, its the popgun that makes his bananas an actual threat when zoning, and I think it gave a few ideas to upgrade the ADHD setup before SALT. Hitting lab again.

Last edited:

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well, I got some new matches from my second weekly. We had a stream set-up going but I was only able to get some friendlies in on the set-up.

http://www.twitch.tv/ssbmontreal/b/543915774

The first match I played starts at around 1:00 and is just a test for the stream.
The second match was a more serious and probably a better match to watch. It starts at around 10:20.
So yeah, all comments, critics and tips are welcome. Especially MU tips since I have almost no experience against almost all of the cast (my brother is all the practice I get usually and plays Falco/Fox/Marth exclusively).

Its a lot higher quality than my last post, thank God so please check it out guys! I really want to improve here.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
www.twitch.tv/eaglesmash/b/543895468
Since it is taking longer than anticipated to separate everything, I will post the times of matches and rank importance.
1. Zelda(CLD)vs diddy(BJS) first to 7. Starts at 7:57:44 . If you watch any matches these are the ones I need critiques on, there was no tanking or holding back to download opponent and find strategies before tourney. There was animosity in this set and we went at it, even his dog hated me and tried to mess me up in matches. We had to mute mike to contain the k9 popoffs. Salt was real. Play escalates after game 1

2. Sheik vs diddy 3 sets. Starts at 2:35:48. While I am trolling a lot in the match(not using kill throws no d.i etc), some of the chain throw followups setups and moving options are quite useful and I would like to have ideas of how to incorporate into my neutral game. And as a treat 2:55:48 has the meanest kill of the night with the day 1 lucas.
3.to someone with team experience, I was experimenting with team battle and these are when those matches started. 5:03first attempt and 6:44 the second attempt at teams. 1st attempt of teams there on dreamland, the combos after swallowcide on dreamland are kind of like bread and butters I was working on. Second attempt at teams game 5 is why you don't miss a tech vs diddy.

4. Also could you let us know any stream issues you come across, if you know of a way to fix it that would be great as well. Please review and hit me with your hardest critiques. I mean the very harshest you got if they are constructive. To give you some ammo, down b is my 4th favorite b move with diddy and down throw is tied for my second favorite throw. BTW not sure if it is on there, but the Zelda also won a match on FD with shield break to full charged forward smash before warioware.
Stream quality: x/10 Audio(is limited): x/10 Creativity: x/10 Tech skill: x/10 Combo ability: x/10 Adaptability:x/10 Survivability: x/10 Neutral game x/10. To give you an idea of what I mean along with suggestions to improve it. Please state times if you notice time skips.
@ Soft Serve Soft Serve , @junebug , @Seagull Joe , @ DLA DLA , @ Praxis Praxis ,

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
OK so from the feedback I have been getting, my greatest flaws are on ground game, non projectile game, and edge guarding outside of up b and peanuts. Since these are the easiest to fix in a reasonable timespan, a suggestion was made to watch a few old melee videos, and bladewise was considered one of the best diddy players without items. Thanks everyone for taking the time to review the twitch video(I know its more annoying than YouTube), and thanks to some of the wario mains for the extra air control idea options with footstool, I think that will be an intricate part of my combo game in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom