The day has finally come and indeed, Masahiro Sakurai has revealed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's final roster, information on Spirits, and even the future of Super Smash Bros. development.
To begin, the base roster has been capped off at 69 individually-numbered fighters, with the last two being Ken, as an Echo Fighter of Ryu from Street Fighter and Incineroar from Pokémon. Piranha Plant, the common enemy from Super Mario Bros., was additionally revealed to be an exclusive bonus for early purchasers of the game.
- “Hailing from the Street Fighter series, Ryu’s rival Ken joins the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster as an echo fighter. This Ken is based on his appearance in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. While he has some similar moves to Ryu, Ken is a slightly faster fighter and has a different shaped Hadoken.”
- “The final fighter to join the battle in time for the game’s launch is Incineroar, the advanced evolution of Litten, who made his first appearance in the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games. Incineroar uses pro-wrestling moves, culminating in an epic Final Smash called Max Malicious Moonsault, based on his Z- Move from the Pokémon games.”
- “The iconic enemy from the Super Mario series is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting “
We also received release date information for amiibo of the new roster additions.
- Inkling, Ridley and Wolf – Dec. 7, 2018
- King K. Rool, Ice Climbers and Piranha Plant – Feb. 15, 2019
- Isabelle, Pichu, Ken, Young Link, Daisy – 2019
Finally, information regarding future development in the form of DLC was announced. New fighters, stages and music will be released post-release, available in set. Each set, available for $5.99, contains one character (not at Echo Fighter), one stage and several music tracks. A Fighter Pass is available for $24.99 and contains five yet-unannounced sets. If you purchase a Fighters Pass you will also receive an in-game outfit based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2from December 7th. Finally, if you pre-purchase the digital version of the game with the Fighters Pass in Nintendo eShop or on Nintendo.com before 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 6, My Nintendo members will receive 425 bonus Gold Points, or double the usual amount. The bonus points will be issued on the game’s launch day. Downloadable content will be coming to the game through February 2020.