• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Base Roster, amiibo and DLC Announced

Thumbnail.png

The day has finally come and indeed, Masahiro Sakurai has revealed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's final roster, information on Spirits, and even the future of Super Smash Bros. development.

To begin, the base roster has been capped off at 69 individually-numbered fighters, with the last two being Ken, as an Echo Fighter of Ryu from Street Fighter and Incineroar from Pokémon. Piranha Plant, the common enemy from Super Mario Bros., was additionally revealed to be an exclusive bonus for early purchasers of the game.
  • “Hailing from the Street Fighter series, Ryu’s rival Ken joins the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster as an echo fighter. This Ken is based on his appearance in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. While he has some similar moves to Ryu, Ken is a slightly faster fighter and has a different shaped Hadoken.”
  • “The final fighter to join the battle in time for the game’s launch is Incineroar, the advanced evolution of Litten, who made his first appearance in the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games. Incineroar uses pro-wrestling moves, culminating in an epic Final Smash called Max Malicious Moonsault, based on his Z- Move from the Pokémon games.”
  • “The iconic enemy from the Super Mario series is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting “

We also received release date information for amiibo of the new roster additions.
  • Inkling, Ridley and Wolf – Dec. 7, 2018
  • King K. Rool, Ice Climbers and Piranha Plant – Feb. 15, 2019
  • Isabelle, Pichu, Ken, Young Link, Daisy – 2019

Finally, information regarding future development in the form of DLC was announced. New fighters, stages and music will be released post-release, available in set. Each set, available for $5.99, contains one character (not at Echo Fighter), one stage and several music tracks. A Fighter Pass is available for $24.99 and contains five yet-unannounced sets. If you purchase a Fighters Pass you will also receive an in-game outfit based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2from December 7th. Finally, if you pre-purchase the digital version of the game with the Fighters Pass in Nintendo eShop or on Nintendo.com before 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 6, My Nintendo members will receive 425 bonus Gold Points, or double the usual amount. The bonus points will be issued on the game’s launch day. Downloadable content will be coming to the game through February 2020.

Last edited:
Robert "Sephazon" Maloney

Comments

This changed the fabric of Smash; I understand I'll have to get N or get out. This is the first generic faceless enemy fighter, granted it looks cool. This was a big blow to people who were expecting more ballot characters, but alas, don't expect anything, but holy hell was I disappointed.

Of course, it's also easy to go around slapping everyone's back, loving everything about the game.
He have some faith in the Pirahna. After all, everyone thought Sakurai had gone mad, adding Captain Falcon, Fox, Ness, Mr Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Pit, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt Duo. This is where Sakurai shines, making characters out of faces with little source material to go off. Bear in mind that, at the time of SSB64’s release, Fox had never really been seen out of an Arwing, and now he’s a posterboy Smash character!

He have some faith in the Pirahna. After all, everyone thought Sakurai had gone mad, adding Captain Falcon, Fox, Ness, Mr Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Pit, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt Duo. This is where Sakurai shines, making characters out of faces with little source material to go off. Bear in mind that, at the time of SSB64’s release, Fox had never really been seen out of an Arwing, and now he’s a posterboy Smash character!
This is half true; no one cared about any of this at the time of Smash 64 since it was a new game. It makes sense for Ness and IC's to be fighters, Pit was a heavy request for Brawl and I think everyone was on board with DHD; there's just something different about this plant from the rest.

This game started off like Melee and finished like Brawl, and now we are stuck in the weird middle again.

The only thing hype about this Direct was the Vince AT.

This was a 0/10 for me; no redeeming qualities: too long, boring characters, slashing fan favorites left and right with Assist deconfirmations. It had that signature soulless Kingdom Hearts feel, instead of doing something fun with these properties... like they're scared to have fun, and even the scarier thing is I know people are gonna argue the plant was the fun part.

Even World of Light looked boring and forgettable, and the song really didn't fit what was going on (another weird Kingdom Hearts similarity).

Like I honestly think they've reached their creative pinnacle with Smash, and all they can do is keep making characters; there's no reason why they can't do a Subspace 2 where the characters visit actual areas, like the Mushroom Kingdom, Kongo Jungle, Dream Land, etc. - like you're taking these famous characters and having them visit generic areas why? When you have permission to use their own locales.

This Direct somehow just worsened the game, after the first two presentations were amazing.

Admittedly the Piranha Plant looks cool, but why? "Because Sakurai is an unpredictable madman" :glare:
Need I remind you of everything they done for this one game alone for just the price of a regular Switch Title? Well too bad, here I go anyway -

They have brought back & freshed out of all the existing fighters along with given us a really varied roster of unique newcomers, have put in additional characters through a new classification, have graphpylu updatted & tweaked all stages, a huge variety of new creative Assist Trophies from a mixture of new & already-repped Series, given the composers free range to compose any tracks from a list consisting of throusands, AND finally, have given thousands of characters that basically had zero chances to get into the game as playable, a boss, AT, or even just a background element, an active role thorugh new equipable Spirits that boost your Fighter capabitlily, of which they are primarily obtained through winning against them in a theatrically-themed match against the Fighter that most closely represent that character.

Regardless of what you think, you have to admit that this is pretty insane amount of effort & content Sakurai & his team have put into this one sole game, & the fact they’re planning to begin developing DLC as soon as they can after launch really just shows the amount of passion that this team have for this entry & the fans. So please don’t be a ungrateful preissmist & just appreciate what we have ended up receiving & the amount of work that was put towards this, regardless of whatever way a character have gotten in since atleast they have been acknowledged. This game was made to be the Ultimate game for the fans remember.

Need I remind you of everything they done for this one game alone for just the price of a regular Switch Title? Well too bad, here I go anyway -

They have brought back & freshed out of all the existing fighters along with given us a really varied roster of unique newcomers, have put in additional characters through a new classification, have graphpylu updatted & tweaked all stages, a huge variety of new creative Assist Trophies from a mixture of new & already-repped Series, given the composers free range to compose any tracks from a list consisting of throusands, AND finally, have given thousands of characters that basically had zero chances to get into the game as playable, a boss, AT, or even just a background element, an active role thorugh new equipable Spirits that boost your Fighter capabitlily, of which they are primarily obtained through winning against them in a theatrically-themed match against the Fighter that most closely represent that character.

Regardless of what you think, you have to admit that this is pretty insane amount of effort & content Sakurai & his team have put into this one sole game, & the fact they’re planning to begin developing DLC as soon as they can after launch really just shows the amount of passion that this team have for this entry & the fans. So please don’t be a ungrateful preissmist & just appreciate what we have ended up receiving & the amount of work that was put towards this, regardless of whatever way a character have gotten in since atleast they have been acknowledged. This game was made to be the Ultimate game for the fans remember.
I'd pay $80 for the game, but the only thing I'm going to remember is that this Direct was the Ultimate letdown.

I'd pay $80 for the game, but the only thing I'm going to remember is that this Direct was the Ultimate letdown.
How was it a let down? We are just spoiled with characters. Sakurai himself said not to expect too many fighters. And an ADVENTURE mode was announced. AN ADVENTURE MODE!

D
I enjoyed the Smash direct but it didn't wow me. Like the E3 and August ones, Ken and Incineroar were great glad their in. Enjoyed all the modes, plus Spirits looked cool.

Language options that's lit fam. Ugh I hate myself for saying that. Assist trophies. Yes Isaac, and Black Knight are out. But they look cool and I'm glad their in in some form.

Finally last four points Piranha Plant, Yes it confuses even me, but thinking back it's Sakurai he pretty much said forget all your theories and your guesses. Your getting a freaking plant as a character never try to guess what I do again and deal with it. It's a WTF character like Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer before it. Fine by me. As far as DLC let's keep expectations in check, we might not like who gets added. Yes Bayonetta Ryu, Cloud, and Corrin I'm looking at you. Even though I'm glad their in.

Finally World of Light looks great loved the voice acting and of course Kirby would survive. Sakurai loves his babies.

Was it great no but I enjoyed it, now let's wait for the game and play. And yes DLC means more speculation and leaks. So strap on the ride's not over yet this rollercoster still going strong.

Those are my thoughts can't wait to play and see who DLC is even if. We don't like who it maybe, considering a fireball spitting Venus fly trap like plant thing, got in. You never know who will get in Goku might actually be a possibility oye. Doubt that will happen. But anyway that's all shot the game look forward to the DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was it a let down? We are just spoiled with characters. Sakurai himself said not to expect too many fighters. And an ADVENTURE mode was announced. AN ADVENTURE MODE!
Obviously the characters were not fan requests (one of them made me have to stop expecting characters forever), it was hard to tell what was going on in the story mode, the thing dragged on forever... this was a very Wii U-era Direct.

Sakurai's greatest troll:

Keeping Waluigi a complete secret until launch. The direct is actually just a clever misdirect.

Obviously the characters were not fan requests (one of them made me have to stop expecting characters forever), it was hard to tell what was going on in the story mode, the thing dragged on forever... this was a very Wii U-era Direct.
Yea, but it wasn't the "Ultimate Letdown." I can see your point about the characters not being fan requests (but hey! at least we got Piranha Plant )and it being hard to tell story mode. But, there were many good things in the direct as well. I wouldn't say it was the "Ultimate Letdown" I would say it was mixed or more in between.

This was a 0/10 for me; no redeeming qualities: too long, boring characters, slashing fan favorites left and right with Assist deconfirmations. It had that signature soulless Kingdom Hearts feel, instead of doing something fun with these properties... like they're scared to have fun, and even the scarier thing is I know people are gonna argue the plant was the fun part.

Even World of Light looked boring and forgettable, and the song really didn't fit what was going on (another weird Kingdom Hearts similarity).

Like I honestly think they've reached their creative pinnacle with Smash, and all they can do is keep making characters; there's no reason why they can't do a Subspace 2 where the characters visit actual areas, like the Mushroom Kingdom, Kongo Jungle, Dream Land, etc. - like you're taking these famous characters and having them visit generic areas why? When you have permission to use their own locales.

This Direct somehow just worsened the game, after the first two presentations were amazing.

Admittedly the Piranha Plant looks cool, but why? "Because Sakurai is an unpredictable madman" :glare:
Clearly you were 100% hoping on the grinch too hard like many others, too bad. While I wanted it to be true too (Isaac and Banjo) it was simply a dream roster too good to be true for base especially.

Great direct if you had realistic expectations tho, but yeah different ordering of the newcomer reveals could have hurt that sting to grinchers but tbh, we never really end with anything SUPER HYPE.

I love plant.

Last edited:
Clearly you were 100% hoping on the grinch too hard like many others, too bad. While I wanted it to be true too (Isaac and Banjo) it was simply a dream roster too good to be true for base especially.

Great direct if you had realistic expectations tho, but yeah different ordering of the newcomer reveals could have hurt that sting to grinchers but tbh, we never really end with anything SUPER HYPE.

I love plant.
I was not expecting the Grinch leak, I was expecting a good Direct.

"Great direct if you had realistic expectations" - who the **** was expecting the plant? It was a horrible Direct if you had realistic expectations; God forbid they give us one character in the final blowout that people actually wanted.

The newcomer reveal order was horrible; it pretty much went in the complete opposite direction it should've: this should've been the E3 showing (for at least the characters), but even the modes and stuff looked jank.

6.5 newcomers, and one of them is a ****ing plant; at least let us know who the DLC is and stop torturing us.

Last edited:
Why are people acting as if Sakurai attacked them personally? He said that they were going to slow down reveals and there's still DLC to be put in. Also who gives a **** about piranha plant being added it's hilarious and people should be happy that there'll be at least one new fighter before actual DLC.

Why are people acting as if Sakurai attacked them personally? He said that they were going to slow down reveals and there's still DLC to be put in. Also who gives a **** about piranha plant being added it's hilarious and people should be happy that there'll be at least one new fighter before actual DLC.
Because there's only 6.5 newcomers and one of them is a WASTE; I certainly took it as a personal attack to those who wanted Geno, Isaac, etc., though it can certainly be redeemed with good DLC.

Edit: Like Sakurai is aware of what is going on; he couldn't even reveal K. Rool without throwing shade at fans.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you.
Because there's only 6.5 newcomers and one of them is a WASTE; I certainly took it as a personal attack to those who wanted Geno, Isaac, etc., though it can certainly be redeemed with good DLC.
People like you have to honesty remember that the Piranha Plant Fighter is an additional post-launch Fighter that they’re making for FREE, not for a profit. Nintendo is a buinness so having a character that many wanted available for free was going to just be loss potential profit, so it make logical sense to have the free character be one who they knew wouldn’t make alot of cash. It’s just happen they chosen to make it be one of the ironic Mario enemies that lacked an active presence within any Smash Game. It’s just a fun wacky addition available for free so it ain’t going to cost anyone anything as long they registar their Smash Ultimate Copy to a My Nintendo Account before Jan 31st.

Also, I would like to state I ain’t personally attacking you Dan, it’s just so happen that you posted whist I was amidst of originally making this post in respond to Nogood...& now you.

lol acting like the plant took some pipe dream characters spot...I can agree the reveal order could have been better, ending on Ridley or K.Rool or even the Belmonts would have been hype, but it's not Sakurai nor the plant's fault that you guys got your expectations so high for nothing.

Plant is unique and was a surprise, and again took no one's spot, stop acting like entitled children haha hes extra!

Last edited:
My only problem is with the lack of stadium. Now what’ll I do when I’m bored? Why is this smash suddenly the worst in terms of actual modes? Where the hell is target test and homerun contest, and what’s this about all star just being fighters you’ve unlocked in one endless match? Just stupid. Let me rehash the missing modes right here:
-Target smash
Homerun contest
Smash Run
Events
Trophy rush
Good all star mode
An adventure mode that doesn’t seem like a hassle

This changed the fabric of Smash; I understand I'll have to get N or get out. This is the first generic faceless enemy fighter, granted it looks cool. This was a big blow to people who were expecting more ballot characters, but alas, don't expect anything, but holy hell was I disappointed.

Of course, it's also easy to go around slapping everyone's back, loving everything about the game.
There is always DLC that sakurai confirmed. P.s. the plant isn't apart of it, he is just extra dlc.
Still hoping for Geno. He is my most wanted so i hope he is dlc.

Every pokemon except Mewtwo is technically a generic character, as well as Yoshi
uhhh did you forget about pikachu the literal face of pokemon and lucario who has been in multiple movies and games and as well as greninja who was given its own special transformation in the anime and game

uhhh did you forget about pikachu the literal face of pokemon and lucario who has been in multiple movies and games and as well as greninja who was given its own special transformation in the anime and game
Like I said, every pokemon. it doesn't matter if "in the anime" something happened. There are hundreds of pikachus, lucarios, and greninjas in the games. So no, I didn't forget about them :)

There are lots of Greninja but there is actually only one Greninja in the entire pokemon world that can become Ash-Greninja so while he is the same species as the others, he is actually not totally generic in that sense. Pikachu, Pichu, Jiggz, Lucario, Incineroar, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are all completely generic unless we have a way to confirm the origins of any of them with absolute certainty.

Edit: Like Sakurai is aware of what is going on; he couldn't even reveal K. Rool without throwing shade at fans.
And .... People like you might be the reason why Sakurai is killing off your wanted characters, you said he is aware, isn't he? Stammering like a child wont get your most wanted characters to be added in the roster. Get off your high pedestal and just hope for a good dlc, I heard that there is a possibility ATs will receive a "promotion" and spirits DOESN'T deconfirm your characters. The Plant is a good punishment and a lesson for ungrateful lards that this is Sakurai's game, he is the master.

For the mean time, I hope you'll be haunted by the number of Piranha mains in the game. And I have the feeling he is top 10 :3c

And .... People like you might be the reason why Sakurai is killing off your wanted characters, you said he is aware, isn't he? Stammering like a child wont get your most wanted characters to be added in the roster. Get off your high pedestal and just hope for a good dlc, I heard that there is a possibility ATs will receive a "promotion" and spirits DOESN'T deconfirm your characters. The Plant is a good punishment and a lesson for ungrateful lards that this is Sakurai's game, he is the master.

For the mean time, I hope you'll be haunted by the number of Piranha mains in the game. And I have the feeling he is top 10 :3c
I would be honored if Sakurai learned English and read one of my posts; we've been through a decade of him ignoring fan requests (save Ridley/Rool) so I don't even care at this point. It's clear who this guy is, and he doesn't cater to fans.

I'll probably try the character.

D
I'll say this,

Any backlash as a result of this is due to how things got revealed, not because the roster itself is lacking. The Direct was meh though, it certainly wouldn't have sold me if the August Direct didn't.

Because there's only 6.5 newcomers
Don't straight up ignore the Echoes. They might rip a majority of their movesets from another character, but that doesn't rule them out as newcomers.

We got 11 newcomers for base roster.
-Inkling
-Daisy
-Ridley
-Simon
-Richter
-Chrom
-Dark Samus
-King K. Rool
-Isabelle
-Ken
-Incineroar

Then not to mention we also got every character from Sm4sh as well as Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Young Link, Pichu, and Wolf to return.

Need I remind everyone being super pessimistic that we had 58 fighters in total in Sm4sh INCLUDING DLC, and with Ultimate we're sitting at 76 when you count Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Charizard separately? 77 if you count Piranha Plant.

That's 17 more fighters than Sm4sh had at the END of it's life cycle.

New main if its good, calling it rn.
I can't believe one of the most annoying enemies in Mario is an official fighter but Waluigi got left out still. Oooooof. I mean he does have an L on his hat but did they rly have to emphasize it lol

Last edited:
Piranha plant is the first character in all smashes to dissapoint me. I still have no idea why they decided to put it in the game. At least it looks like fun to play.

Well, if you paid attention to the world of light trailer you would have seen that the map is based on the games. There is a town made of Nintendo hardware for god's sake.

It's funny to see comments like yours. We get a game wit 76 playable characters, hundreds of stages and featuring almost every single character in Nintendo's history, and yet you are like "0 out of 10. Didn't give me what I wanted, so it's bad"...

It's funny to see comments like yours. We get a game wit 76 playable characters, hundreds of stages and featuring almost every single character in Nintendo's history, and yet you are like "0 out of 10. Didn't give me what I wanted, so it's bad"...
Yup; you don't have to like everything you know, and no one needs to be grateful for a video game.

And if you actually read what I posted, I said the Direct was a 0/10, not the game in general. E3 was a 10/10 and August was a 10/10.

Top Bottom