• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Base Roster, amiibo and DLC Announced

Thumbnail.png

The day has finally come and indeed, Masahiro Sakurai has revealed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's final roster, information on Spirits, and even the future of Super Smash Bros. development.

To begin, the base roster has been capped off at 69 individually-numbered fighters, with the last two being Ken, as an Echo Fighter of Ryu from Street Fighter and Incineroar from Pokémon. Piranha Plant, the common enemy from Super Mario Bros., was additionally revealed to be an exclusive bonus for early purchasers of the game.
  • “Hailing from the Street Fighter series, Ryu’s rival Ken joins the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster as an echo fighter. This Ken is based on his appearance in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. While he has some similar moves to Ryu, Ken is a slightly faster fighter and has a different shaped Hadoken.”
  • “The final fighter to join the battle in time for the game’s launch is Incineroar, the advanced evolution of Litten, who made his first appearance in the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games. Incineroar uses pro-wrestling moves, culminating in an epic Final Smash called Max Malicious Moonsault, based on his Z- Move from the Pokémon games.”
  • “The iconic enemy from the Super Mario series is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting “

We also received release date information for amiibo of the new roster additions.
  • Inkling, Ridley and Wolf – Dec. 7, 2018
  • King K. Rool, Ice Climbers and Piranha Plant – Feb. 15, 2019
  • Isabelle, Pichu, Ken, Young Link, Daisy – 2019

Finally, information regarding future development in the form of DLC was announced. New fighters, stages and music will be released post-release, available in set. Each set, available for $5.99, contains one character (not at Echo Fighter), one stage and several music tracks. A Fighter Pass is available for $24.99 and contains five yet-unannounced sets. If you purchase a Fighters Pass you will also receive an in-game outfit based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2from December 7th. Finally, if you pre-purchase the digital version of the game with the Fighters Pass in Nintendo eShop or on Nintendo.com before 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 6, My Nintendo members will receive 425 bonus Gold Points, or double the usual amount. The bonus points will be issued on the game’s launch day. Downloadable content will be coming to the game through February 2020.

Last edited:
Robert "Sephazon" Maloney

Comments

People are freaking out about the plant but Sakurai's always been looking to pull weird choices out of his magic hat of nightmares at least once per Smash game. Did everyone forget Jigglypuff?

People are freaking out about the plant but Sakurai's always been looking to pull weird choices out of his magic hat of nightmares at least once per Smash game. Did everyone forget Jigglypuff?
This changed the fabric of Smash; I understand I'll have to get N or get out. This is the first generic faceless enemy fighter, granted it looks cool. This was a big blow to people who were expecting more ballot characters, but alas, don't expect anything, but holy hell was I disappointed.

Of course, it's also easy to go around slapping everyone's back, loving everything about the game.

Every pokemon except Mewtwo is technically a generic character, as well as Yoshi
I was aware of that; I hate to create a double-standard, but that applies to nearly every Pokémon. And I'm pretty sure there's a singular Yoshi that's been with Mario throughout.

ABout the DLC. WIll it be like we get character set passes PER SEASON/YEAR like how Street Fighter adds 7 characters a year to their game or are they going to stop at only 5 DLC characters and DLC support would end by Feb 2020?

I would legitimately want to see the roster going up to 100 and want the game's longevity to be longer by adding new characters and balance changes to the meta?

But Im asking too much, arent I? :( Sakurai needs a break after all.....

...is this place nuclear yet?

I still foresee [record-breaking] amounts of salt... at least I got what I wanted, a single player adventure mode... even if it IS standard Kirby fare... ANYONE who has played Kirby for years will know exactly what I'm talking about...

primary thing that bugs me about the reactions so far is that NOBODY figured out the Spirit Battles concept (I think Alax started to put two and two together near the end, but not quite). It's basically roleplaying with the existing roster (presumably in lieu of Event Matches)! For Instance, Dr. Hal "Otacon" Emmerich originally designed Metal Gear REX, and later built a few other machines to help out Snake... Megaman's throw is Gutsman's special weapon: Super Arm, and Owain is deliberately theatrical in Awakening (explaining why is spoilers, though).

.....primary reason I picked up on it was because a) I'm a bit of an amateur fanfic writer at heart (when I get around to putting keyboard to document), and b) I had a similar idea of certain characters being represented by fighters in the roster, such as Revali using Falco's form in battle through a mini trophy... the spiritual aspect didn't occur to me, though

Last edited:
Sakurai went to the flower shop and saw piranha plant and was like “eh, why not?” And that’s why piranha plant is our next fighter

I was pleased by this Direct...
Ken easily looks like the best echo.
Incineroar looks fun and is probably going to be my main
Piranha Plant looks like a fun joke character
Spirits looks amazing
The adventure mode looks dope
If anyone was bummed out by it, then you all set your expectations too high...
We already got so much, like all of the veterans returning, as well as fan requested newcomers...
Let Sakurai do his own thing for once...

Last edited:
ABout the DLC. WIll it be like we get character set passes PER SEASON/YEAR like how Street Fighter adds 7 characters a year to their game or are they going to stop at only 5 DLC characters and DLC support would end by Feb 2020?

I would legitimately want to see the roster going up to 100 and want the game's longevity to be longer by adding new characters and balance changes to the meta?

But Im asking too much, arent I? :( Sakurai needs a break after all.....
As of right now, all we know if we are getting 5 characters within a package set (stage and music) plus Piranha Plant. Anything besides that, it’s all speculation. If I was a betting man (which I’m not), I would say we are getting just five newcomer DLC....and Piranha Plant.

So Piranha Plant is coming with a new stage huh... So we will have a total of 109 unique stages.

That's interesting...

And just like that, the dumbest argument against Bandanna Waddle Dee has been thrown out the window.
I love it.

I am perfectly content with what's available in the game. The fact that the dlc won't be echo fighters means my precious skull kid and crash can still have a decent chance, and I'll be fine if they don't get in since there's already so much. Piranha plant is honestly very fun for a joke character, and I loved the presentation of Ken and incineroar. One of my worries is the online play tho, I don't want to potentially land in a casual item game when I'm looking for something more serious if that's even an issue that pops up

SSB4 players: "Wii Fit Trainer is the weirdest and most out-of-place character ever introduced!"

Piranha Plant: "Hold my glucose."

Last edited:
One thing I really appreciate is that we have confirmation now of at least 80 characters in this game. 74 up through Incineroar and Ken, 75 is Piranha Plant, plus the 5 unknown Fighter Pass NEWCOMERS (no echoes). Piranha Plant seems really dumb to me but at least it's not taking the place of one of the 5 fighters to come. Gives me hope for Skull Kid and Crash Bandicoot still which is enough to keep my hype train alive. Plus, that adventure mode looks really fun.

And just like that, the dumbest argument against Bandanna Waddle Dee has been thrown out the window.
I love it.
Toad too.

God knows how often that “generic species can’t be in Smash” argument was used against Toad for the past 15+ years.

The generic species argument is stupid. Due to Pokemon, generic species have been not only a part of the game but they have been unlock-able or downloadable content since the beginning of Smash Bros. Meaning we have had to go out of our way to play a generic species every single time and people have done so with enthusiasm. lol Welcome to the fight PP. I certainly don't think I'll be spending much time with you but I'm sure you'll be more fun than Koopa Jr.

He didn’t really have much choice in the matter. With the limitations of the 64.

She got really lucky she has a bodystyle like Kirby

But before you ask no I’m not mad with the finale roster. Just disappointed on The order.

Like Ken should of been the guy to show first and with the new concept of echoes.

Ridley and K rool should of been the last two

Last edited:
im actually happy with the plant im when do you get to play WITH A FREAKING PLANT in a fighting game i mean sure he's in instead of shadow or issac geno or even waluigi i mean i'd love to have waluigi but he didn't put him in he put a joke character and im ok with that he's done this ever game jiggs pichu rob wii fit trainer the 1 abomination but done hate the man ecause your favorite didnt get in waluigi didn't but im cool he did a great job every character every stage adventure mode he even put ridley in the game im mean I GOT FREAKING KING K ROOL ITS BEEN AGES FINALLY he put a lot of work into the game so be happy with what u got done hate him cuz theres no geno or shadow be gratefull for his work be happy

I think a lot of people forget that smash has always had a joke/wtf character; Puff was 64's, Pichu was Melee's, ROB was Brawls, Wii-Fit Trainer was Smash4's, and everyone's favorite plant is Ultimate's joke character. I'm hoping we get another season pass but I understand them wanting to leave the roster at 80.

Last edited:
I will say right now that any argument against at Bandanna Waddle Dee has just been destroyed with Piranha Plant.

"Goomba with a hat" means nothing if they're letting in Goombas now.

I will say right now that any argument against at Bandanna Waddle Dee has just been destroyed with Piranha Plant.

"Goomba with a hat" means nothing if they're letting in Goombas now.

We still need an actual Goomba; it's the most-iconic Mario enemy.

#GoombaForUltimate

Last edited:
I was already mostly sold on the game when they announced every fighter was returning, but now that Adventure mode is FINALLY returning, I don't care who or what else gets announced. They could announce a literal plant as a playable character, and I'd be okay with it.

Oh wait...

Can we get some Smash fanart of it, pretty please?

Absolutely crushed that Shadow isn’t in. I thought he was in for sure with the emphasis on echoes, Richter got in, Ken got in, his assist trophy was absent from sight until the last direct... gah I’m butthurt.

I’ll buy the game and I’ll love it but I don’t think I’ll ever really get over this disappointment during this games life span.

While some people may consider yesterday's Smash Direct to be rather underwhelming, for the most part, I was focused more on finding out about the new game modes, and to see what would be happening to the custom special moves. I will say that seeing the custom specials be limited to Miis only was quite sad, and sure was a major downgrade when compared to how Smash 3DS / Wii U handled its fighter customizations.

I have to admit that that Direct was better than I expected (I went in fearing the Grinch to be real, that leak contained litteraly not a single character I even rometly cared about). So trading those for Incineroar and espaceially the Piranha Plant, characters from series I love, brought joy to my heart. The absolute nonsense of the PP made it even better - I never knew I needed it so much before I saw it.

Now let's hope Bandana Dee gets in the DLC and nigh everything I wished for would be real.

Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Monty Mole, Wiggler, King Boo, Chain Chomp, Cheep Cheep, Dry Bones, Hammer Bros., Lakitu, and Magikoopa (Kamek), for Smash. ;)

I thought after a day to digest everything that I wouldn't be as upset, but here am I more angry than ever.

Hopefully Break the Targets & Board the Platforms can come back, Sakurai is a unpredictable monster.

Last edited:
This was a 0/10 for me; no redeeming qualities: too long, boring characters, slashing fan favorites left and right with Assist deconfirmations. It had that signature soulless Kingdom Hearts feel, instead of doing something fun with these properties... like they're scared to have fun, and even the scarier thing is I know people are gonna argue the plant was the fun part.

Even World of Light looked boring and forgettable, and the song really didn't fit what was going on (another weird Kingdom Hearts similarity).

Like I honestly think they've reached their creative pinnacle with Smash, and all they can do is keep making characters; there's no reason why they can't do a Subspace 2 where the characters visit actual areas, like the Mushroom Kingdom, Kongo Jungle, Dream Land, etc. - like you're taking these famous characters and having them visit generic areas why? When you have permission to use their own locales.

This Direct somehow just worsened the game, after the first two presentations were amazing.

Admittedly the Piranha Plant looks cool, but why? "Because Sakurai is an unpredictable madman" :glare:

Last edited:
Not
I have to admit that that Direct was better than I expected (I went in fearing the Grinch to be real, that leak contained litteraly not a single character I even rometly cared about). So trading those for Incineroar and espaceially the Piranha Plant, characters from series I love, brought joy to my heart. The absolute nonsense of the PP made it even better - I never knew I needed it so much before I saw it.

Now let's hope Bandana Dee gets in the DLC and nigh everything I wished for would be real.
Oh, and don’t forget Mach Rider. We all want him really. Keep your fingers crossed people!

Top Bottom