• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros: Metagame - VIDEO AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD!!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I loved the Pokemon section.

It had the best music (IMO, I liked how fast paced it was compared to the others) and my friends were in it ^__^

Good ****, Axe and Taj.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i still say giga and raynex were the more entertaining parts of the video.

i also ate cereal while watching.

i enjoyed the video,respect the maker for his work, but what i will say is this.

i did not find while watching this video, that i said to myself " Wow, here is the entire metagame of this character, summed up in these 8 clips."

and this to me, with the title "Metagame" failed to deliver what was expected from it. to me a least.

This saying, i did find the video enjoyable, and well done, im just not sure it actually managed to capture the metagame of this amazing game we all play, and im not sure anything really can, aside from the things that happen when no ones looking. no cameras recording it. the amazing combos and weird things that happen at sleepovers at 4:00 in the morning.

The metagame of Smash Bros Melee is most likely impossible to capture in one video.

But kudos to trying Gimpy.

;off topic, this is the only post i have made with no spelling errors....i think.

Elen

Smash Lord
It was a really great video Gimpy. I found myself at a lot of points saying to myself, "Why did I neglect to show Gimpy this, or that." I enjoyed it a lot though, and it was really well put together, especially considering how quickly you did this. Thanks for all your time and effort :]

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
hey gimpy guess what
this is like
legendary
and should/will go into the smash books of the ages

gimpy is like the john lennon of smash

Buggy793

Smash Rookie
Smash book of the ages... lol
I just saw the vid today.
Nice stuff in there, Gimpy!

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this to make it awesome! (Yeah, I totally just stole that line from elen two posts above this one :p)

Milos

Smash Lord
LOL i never once said darkrain was west coast, u just interpret that i did.

East coast flashy? nah u must have the dullest brain in the nation. Yeah east coast is hella pro but they do the same **** most of the time. MANGO is flashy and entertaining. RAAAAAAPE.

Yeah, m2k is metagame king, with like 2 chars, congrats.

If you wanna go watch m2k go to itsbme's channel and watch I AM ROBOT.

Seriously, quit being close-minded about east coast since you live over there.

also

get off jman's d!ck, ya he's good but he still needs to go to more national tourneys for your statement to make sense.
the dullest brain in the nation.

I don't want to log on to smashboards just to be bothered by some 13 year old flamer who can't short hop and plays ganon cause he's strong. (i don't care exactly how accurate that is, you get the point) mango is ****, but flashy? opinionated so w/e. i'm probably more technical than mango, not to say he wouldn't jv 5 stock my *** every match, but i definitely never miss a waveshine, lmao

watch his set vs ss, he shines after every nair and misses the waveshine every time.... his spacing is sweet though.

but WC tech skill overall is pretty wack. like, WC spacies can do very technical things, but it's useless **** like reverse waveshine jc shine double laser. how are you going to beat anybody with useless techs.

im done discussing this, when somebody tells me i have the dullest brain in the nation it's just </argument>

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you're talking about the one on Yoshi's Story, then no, that's Mew2King edge-cancelling into a bair.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
When it comes to the vid itself, it was quite scarce in effects and some combos got a bit cut off right as the finishing blow was dealt, which is too abrupt and distrupts the flow.
some of this was taken directly from combo videos that ended the clips SUPER early - i always hate that but there was just nothing i could do with most of them T-T

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
This is pretty pathetic. I mean all of you who are *****ing and probably haven't made a single video in your life but think you really have the right to complain. If you believe the video was that terrible or there was **** about it you didn't like you can gladly make your own [sarcasm]I'm sure it'll be better than this [/sarcasm].

It seems though that a lot of the complaints are comin from certain clips not featured in the video or someone wanting one of their own clips in the video and it didn't show up, pretty childish if you ask me. Now granted I had one in there but I was shocked because I didn't believe out of all of the top level foxes out there that my clip would be featured but that does not mean I wouldn't have enjoyed the video any less if it wasn't in there. A lot of the combos that I saw in the video were not in any combo videos. I love M2K and all but I've seen his **** in one too many videos so I thought it was cool to show the styles of other Marths out there same with a lot of the other characters.

Enough ranting from me I just feel that it's pretty sad that Gimpy put a lot of effort in this video as a gift to the Smash community and all yall did is just moan and groan about it but you can't please everyone I guess, oh well :confused:.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shut the **** up. you don't have to be the best to critique something, otherwise the best would never get better.
aside from that this video's purpose is to be awesome, not perfect, so some things aren't as good as they could be. still pretty sick though.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
shut the **** up. you don't have to be the best to critique something, otherwise the best would never get better.
aside from that this video's purpose is to be awesome, not perfect, so some things aren't as good as they could be. still pretty sick though.
For one you're a *******. Two of course the video isn't perfect, I never said it was but there are people out there who believe the video to be bad. And I haven't heard anyone really intelligently critique this video yet, just bash it or otherwise I would go with what you were saying so go suck a ***** kthxbai.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The brawl remix of Corneria music is hands down the best music in the movie. I enjoyed everything except for the post 90's music.

bobson

Smash Lord
WHY DIDN'T YOU INCLUDE <MY FAVORITE CLIP> OR MORE OF <MY FAVORITE PLAYER> THEY ARE CLEARLY REPRESENTATIVE OF THE METAGAME GIMPYFISH I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THAT I BET YOU DID IT JUST TO SPITE ME I RATE YOUR VIDEO NEGATIVE FIVE STARS

On a less-stupid note, this is the only combo video I've ever watched where I didn't have to mute the sound because some terrible obnoxious song came on. I was a little disappointed by the inclusion of Brawl music as I've totally exhausted that soundtrack by now, but you did use the don't-play-on-neutral-stages songs that a lot of people haven't heard, so it works.

When it comes to the vid itself, it was quite scarce in effects
Thank God for that. I watch combo videos for the combos, not the lights flashing to the music.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i hate hate hate hate hate effects driven videos lol

WHY DIDN'T YOU INCLUDE <MY FAVORITE CLIP> OR MORE OF <MY FAVORITE PLAYER> THEY ARE CLEARLY REPRESENTATIVE OF THE METAGAME GIMPYFISH I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THAT I BET YOU DID IT JUST TO SPITE ME I RATE YOUR VIDEO NEGATIVE FIVE STARS

hahahahahahahahahaha

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think what people fail to realize is that if they included only clips from recent matches they would have nothing of anyone below Luigi.

While it may be true that the clips aren't at all representative of peak level gameplay... peak level gameplay for the majority of characters never sees the light of day. In a game that's matured this much, can you honestly tell me the name of a good Yoshi that would place? Hell, forget placing, I'd be willing to accept making it out of pools at FCD.

Anyone who says Svampen or Fumi will be beaten unconscious and disemboweled when they wake up.

Samochan

Smash Master
And I haven't heard anyone really intelligently critique this video yet, just bash it
*starts coughing real loud*

And bobson, adding in more effects doesn't make the video suddenly blink in your eyes like chistmas lights, effects are there to boost the video and not hinder it, so if one adds effects it needs to be done carefully and skillfully. Transitions are always good, for example.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
While it's true that the clips shown and the players shown in the video aren't all necessarily representative of the peak of the "metagame" for that char, it doesn't this is a bad combo video.... at all. So stop bashing it.

To be fair though, it was hyped up as the greatest combo video ever that would show the absolute peak of the "metagame" (that had been reached) for every char. It didn't live up to that, but amazing vid nonetheless.

Also, picking clips for a vid like that would be really hard, require tons of research and time. Choosing between the clips to be representing these chars would be even harder (ESPECIALLY when people are submitting clips, and undoubtedly forgetting more "important" clips then the ones they are submitting). It's to hard/impractical to realistically make.

I wasn't expecting it to be as great as it was hyped up anyway, things are (pretty much) always hyped to be better then they end up being. I don't have a problem with that.

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
when I watched the "special thanks" and saw GOD in big letters I had to imagine God seeing this video and going like "woah this is awesome"

Yeah, really fun video. It wasn't perfect (could have benefited from a little more variety in editing and better extended music loops but it was really great to watch) and you definitely accomplished a lot all by yourself (well, that and all the people whose clips you asked for ;P)

So thanks for making this. It was cool.

Jack of Blades!

Smash Journeyman
when I watched the "special thanks" and saw GOD in big letters I had to imagine God seeing this video and going like "woah this is awesome"
Lol, me too sorta. I got this mental image of God playing smash with Gimpy all casual.

Good video, all those combos are pretty sweet. My favorite part was the Falcon and Mewtwo parts.

Transient

Smash Cadet
I was surprised by the lack of M2K footage. I sent Gimpy at least 3 or 4 links of which the entire match was M2K pulling off ridiculous combos. One of those was the Falcon uair - uair - uair - YES! combo, which I am very glad got into the video, but hardly anything from M2K's Marth or Fox. However, this is Gimpyfish's video, and considering that he is in college, I am amazed by the fact that he got this done in the amount of time that he did and the quality of the video.
6 / 10

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Go Gimpy and Make SSBB (Super Smash Bros. Betagame) XD

Btw. the Vid is great :D

The best were the fox and falco scnens (Said by a CF and m2 main ^^) but everything is awesome, the editing is not that special, but I think the ingame scenes speaks by themeselves ^^

Gimpy for Prez :D

I showed this to a friend (kind of new, doesn't know much beyond wavedashing and SHFFL's) and he was all "H0LY ****!" I'm really glad you didn't add a lot of editing, otherwise it would've distracted him from the ****. XD

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I was surprised by the lack of M2K footage. I sent Gimpy at least 3 or 4 links of which the entire match was M2K pulling off ridiculous combos. One of those was the Falcon uair - uair - uair - YES! combo, which I am very glad got into the video, but hardly anything from M2K's Marth or Fox. However, this is Gimpyfish's video, and considering that he is in college, I am amazed by the fact that he got this done in the amount of time that he did and the quality of the video.
6 / 10
To be honest, I thought it was a little silly that the Falcon uair-uair-uair-up b was in because Magus explicitly said that he was answering the phone during that time. It just looks super goofy. Plus there was already G1G4's clip of combo into up b.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
To be honest, I thought it was a little silly that the Falcon uair-uair-uair-up b was in because Magus explicitly said that he was answering the phone during that time. It just looks super goofy. Plus there was already G1G4's clip of combo into up b.
G1G4 is not good.

I mean, I love him to death IRL and stuff. But he's not good.

Mario section took way too long imo. I mean, granted that it's 6 characters between Mario, Doc, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, Bowser, so donating a minute to each of them seems about fair for the purpose of a combo video that's supposed to be about representing the characters but like... idk. A heavy amount of it is, I suppose, the nature of the characters. All of them suck, for starters, except Peach. And Peach's combo game is very... limited.

In fact, it's not just Peach. Most of them have an overall limited combo game. Most of their clips had heavy chain grabbing in them. Or elements of chain grabbing. It certainly doesn't help that some of the Mario clips, for instance, are extremely similar to the Doc clips; they're made to be that way. And in a combo vid it's not easy to outline the differences between the characters.

The super long Eggz edgeguard, for instance, with the ridiculous overkill, I think was a good idea. It's at 5:25 in the Mario segment on Youtube, I'm not sure where that is in the complete video though. Having said that, I thought that was a really good clip for showing how dangerous it is to be offstage vs such awkward (but versatile) edgeguarding. It's also very different from the other Mario / Doc clips, which were basically the same.

The repeated Chain Grab --> bunch of Uairs --> Fair by Doc, or the repeated Chain Grab --> bunch of Uairs --> F-smashes by Mario got stale quickly. I think more clips like that edgeguard one, or splitting the style of clips and showing more combo oriented clips with Doc and more edgeguard oriented clips with Mario, would have shaved off some time (the song didn't need to loop from its mid-point) and kept it more fresh overall.

If time was a concern, there would have been more room for characters who actually can combo / tech chase vs good DI. Like Darkrain's Falcon ;)

Also, needed more Cort.

The opening clip was a good choice.

Probably my least favourite section because of the length of the duration. There wasn't a plethora of super ridiculously jaw-dropping combos either brimming with intricate originality and precision to justify it being so long. My first watch-through I skipped to the next section... only to find the song had been looped somewhere and sat patiently through the 2 minutes.

Fortunately I was rewarded by some cool stuff near the end, notably the Dair --> Uair --> F-smash (I think?) combo on Kirby and the Eggz edgeguard, but on my second watch through (deciding to watch the entire section to make sure nothing was missed) it occured to me I really didn't lose anything I hadn't already seen in the minute and a half (or whatever) I shaved by skipping the first time.

Top Bottom