• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Did you specify that before? Because I think that would've made it way less divisive if we knew that (or it was spelled more clearly) in the first place
The original intent of keeping Twitter content locked behind linking the account still stands but I should of clarified more on that issue in my post. Sorry about that.

As well, I have no intent to include a Twitter character due to a request by Twitter and Nintendo/Sakurai/development team still have the priority on executive decisions. We are agreeing (or disagreeing) to this particular package and any other requested content is deemed outside of this package. Therefore, it’s up for us to decide wether to allow it to be included or not.

(To make matters more interesting, I had an unaffiliated to this project person act as Twitter.)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The original intent of keeping Twitter content locked behind linking the account still stands but I should of clarified more on that issue in my post. Sorry about that.

As well, I have no intent to include a Twitter character due to a request by Twitter and Nintendo/Sakurai/development team still have the priority on executive decisions. We are agreeing (or disagreeing) to this particular package and any other requested content is deemed outside of this package. Therefore, it’s up for us to decide wether to allow it to be included or not.

(To make matters more interesting, I had an unaffiliated to this project person act as Twitter.)
Is it safe to assume that this deal will have no effect on the status of Non-videogame content in this project?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Important question: is Twitter planning on making a Twitter game? If that's the case, we MIGHT be safe...
Not that I know of

The tournament is the only downside I see to Twitter content getting in, that and the Jack Dorsey costume - but frankly that's way too ridiculous to get angry over, especially when you consider Smash is a giant ad as is.

Now I think about it, if my vote won... would we be mandated to add a PlayStation rep?
That would depend on the conditions of such an agreement as each company is different. Like my previous point, I don’t intend to have us include characters that are typically in unavailable outside of launch content/dlc.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Is it safe to assume that this deal will have no effect on the status of Non-videogame content in this project?
That is correct and we are still not allowing for non-video game content. That being said, it does open up a precedent though so we need to be careful.

I meant in this hypothetical scenario.
I know and I was as well :)
There isn’t any Twitte game that is in the works that Nintendo is aware of

Now, I’m not sure if Twitter is open to negotiations but we might as well try to pitch some ideas on how to make this content more appealing to both marketers and consumers as, I feel, a good amount of fans might not like this. It could be bad publicity for both companies.

To the thread,

Without removing the content, what would you recommend as a way to skirt their requests to make it more appealing and acceptable but also keeping our end of the bargain? This is of course if we agree to this deal.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
No offense, but how would a freaking VERIFICATION BUTTON work as a spirit? I feel like Larry the Bird would work, but I’m not sure about the others. And also, would the Jack Dorsley Mii costume work like a normal Mii, or would he be like Cuphead and Sans (with the Mr. Dorsley Mii costume being a cartoon version of himself).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That is correct and we are still not allowing for non-video game content. That being said, it does open up a precedent though so we need to be careful.

Now, I’m not sure if Twitter is open to negotiations but we might as well try to pitch some ideas on how to make this content more appealing to both marketers and consumers as, I feel, a good amount of fans might not like this. It could be bad publicity for both companies.

To the thread,

Without removing the content, what would you recommend as a way to skirt their requests to make it more appealing and acceptable but also keeping our end of the bargain? This is of course if we agree to this deal.
Some ideas:
Disabling the Twitter Mii costumes from Quickplay, public arenas, and shared content. I don't know if using them in online friend battles would be allowed though, but I assume not

Including the Twitter Spirits in a new "Promotional" tier where they are just battles and no purpose other than that, only appearing in their own sector of the Spirit list and as such don't factor in to the total Spirit count. This would allow us to do more licensed Spirits, a la Splatoon's licensed Splatfests.

Don't tell players in- or out-game that the Twitter content exists, and simply have it be considered a bonus for signing up rather than a promotion for signing up.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
No offense, but how would a freaking VERIFICATION BUTTON work as a spirit? I feel like Larry the Bird would work, but I’m not sure about the others. And also, would the Jack Dorsley Mii costume work like a normal Mii, or would he be like Cuphead and Sans (with the Mr. Dorsley Mii costume being a cartoon version of himself).
I mean The Smash Ball is a spirit. That is not the most Far-fetched idea.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

To the thread,

If I read the post before correctly, I think what you said about making it only for people who connect accounts is a great start. It avoids forcing 4th party material into the game and only exists for those who want it to exist.

That being said, I'm still on the fence a bit. I think one compromise that could be made is that instead of using the exact names of twitter and Jack Dorsey, maybe we can make them just references to them instead? Like keep the likenesses and pay them for that but instead rename them to something different? I feel like going the wink wink nudge nudge route wouldn't be a bad move here

Otoad64

Smash Lord
EDIT: Hold on, I thought of something and needed to get it out before I sleep.
What if we decline to negotiate with Twitter and, as a result, they purposely try to keep our game from getting too much advertisement on their platform? (i.e. shadowbanning Smash fan accounts, hiding Tweets made with the Infinite hashtag, etc)
Just something to think about.
Twitter's not that petty

are they?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If I read the post before correctly, I think what you said about making it only for people who connect accounts is a great start. It avoids forcing 4th party material into the game and only exists for those who want it to exist.

That being said, I'm still on the fence a bit. I think one compromise that could be made is that instead of using the exact names of twitter and Jack Dorsey, maybe we can make them just references to them instead? Like keep the likenesses and pay them for that but instead rename them to something different? I feel like going the wink wink nudge nudge route wouldn't be a bad move here
Given how obscure a piece of trivia the "Larry the Bird" name is we can keep that. Jack could be changed to "CEO costume" perhaps?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Given how obscure a piece of trivia the "Larry the Bird" name is we can keep that. Jack could be changed to "CEO costume" perhaps?
Yeah, I think that would be a solid plan. We could probably change the retweet spirit to resmash and the verified to the confirmed smasher maybe? Guess I'm not crazy about the latter one but mostly just throwing ideas out there

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think that would be a solid plan. We could probably change the retweet spirit to resmash and the verified to the confirmed smasher maybe? Guess I'm not crazy about the latter one but mostly just throwing ideas out there
Verified is a generic enough term. Retweet could be changed to "Repost".

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'll change my vote if if we go with renaming the costume to CEO Outfit and making it a more generic costume but with a Twitter themed flair.

Because it makes it a Twitter themed Mii costume while also seeming less narcissistic and more timeless.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
OK if I make an unsolicited suggestion for a job? Inspired by their absence from Otoad's stages image, I think it'd be fun to try to degenericise Big and Small Battlefield - basically choosing a theme that isn't just Battlefield, whether it be a new original theme, or something from an existing game.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Finding some way to have the Jack Dorsey Mii Costume not actually be called Jack Dorsey would go a long way. I think a good compromise would have a Mii called Jack Dorsey be downloaded to your Mii list when linking your twitter, but the actual costume pieces being called CEO suit and Goatee, or something along those lines. Not sure we really need twitter cuff links or anything like that, it would make it harder to use for other Miis if it had twitter specific references. Not really sure how a Larry the Bird costume would work, since the bird isn't remotely humanoid.

I think having only the Larry the Bird spirit would be fine too, as the other two aren't actual characters. (I know there are other inanimate objects as Spirits but just because there's precedent for their inclusion, doesn't necessarily mean we should).

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Finding some way to have the Jack Dorsey Mii Costume not actually be called Jack Dorsey would go a long way. I think a good compromise would have a Mii called Jack Dorsey be downloaded to your Mii list when linking your twitter, but the actual costume pieces being called CEO suit and Goatee, or something along those lines. Not sure we really need twitter cuff links or anything like that, it would make it harder to use for other Miis if it had twitter specific references. Not really sure how a Larry the Bird costume would work, since the bird isn't remotely humanoid.

I think having only the Larry the Bird spirit would be fine too, as the other two aren't actual characters. (I know there are other inanimate objects as Spirits but just because there's precedent for their inclusion, doesn't necessarily mean we should).
Maybe The Larry the bird Mii costume could be a hat that looks like the Bird is resting on the Mii's head?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

I think having only the Larry the Bird spirit would be fine too, as the other two aren't actual characters. (I know there are other inanimate objects as Spirits but just because there's precedent for there inclusion, doesn't necessarily mean we should).
Making Larry a Mii Costume seems pretty simple, we just go back to the Twitter vault and use the 2009 design. Obviously the proportions would be off, but that didn't stop Cuphead's tiny left non-gun hand.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Maybe The Larry the bird Mii costume could be a hat that looks like the Bird is resting on the Mii's head?
I really like this idea. It could also be combined with the Jack Dorsey mii head (Or CEO head or whatever we decide to call it) since a bird on top would be relatively unintrusive, as it doesn't interfere with the Goatee.

Looks like the decline option is now leading, It could still go either way at this point. :ultgreninja: not anymore
Also I should have the Barista reveal trailer done tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I really like this idea. It could also be combined with the Jack Dorsey mii head (Or CEO head or whatever we decide to call it) since a bird on top would be relatively unintrusive, since it wouldn't interfere with the Goatee.

Looks like the decline option is now leading, It could still go either way at this point. Also I should have the Barista reveal trailer done tomorrow morning.
I personally think we should go with Larry The Bird for the head and a CEO Costume body without a head You can add a goatee in the Mii maker you don't really need a Mii Costume for that, And for the CEO costume body we keep it generic but add very subtle Twitter theming like have it be blue or add a small pin on the lapel, something that adds small theming to make it look in tune with the prompt but it also keeps it generic for customization.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I love how the Twitter stage of all things turned out to be the choice with the most discussion and potential repercussions.

To give my two cents, I voted yes despite loathing the idea of non-videogame content in Smash because, hey, that's potentially four more characters we're able to include. If Sakurai said during a Direct "we're adding these costumes and Spirits as part of a deal with Twitter that allowed us to include more fighters" I think I'd be alright with it. Knowing that it's completely optional and seeing that you guys are coming up with pretty solid ways to make it look less egregious makes me lean on the side of keeping my vote as is. But with it being 12-11 as of this writing, that's quite the pressure.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Accepting such an offer that just screams "narcissism" from a company as big as Twitter themselves, one that constantly gets tangled into political matters no less, is surely one way to make your game soulless.

The Twitter stage should've been enough content to promote your big platform, a platform that honestly doesn't even need advertisement anyway. I can only see this just devolve into them wanting to force more promotional Twitter content in our game in the long run.

I don't want to feel like a sellout. So unless there's no way to be able to explore or renegotiate other options, that's going to be a no from me.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well it’s at a tie but I’m glad of the discussion that this has generated.

I will be contacting the Twitter office to negotiate perhaps something less intrusive. One idea I liked was calling it the CEO costume (business suit with a Twitter pin) with facial hair resembling Jack.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm keeping my vote, because I'm still worried that Twitter will interfere with our project now that they're involved legally. Even if it doesn't feel as sellout-y now that we know about the linking account thing.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Voting is now closed.
We are still currently tied for our decision regarding to agree to Twitter’s conditions or to decline it. The poll will remain open for 13 more hours so please weigh the options and make your final pick by then. If we continue to be split down the middle, I will inform the thread of our next step. Prior to that, feel free to provide a compromise or possible negotiation in regards to the content. As I said earlier, it seems the biggest issue is the Mii Fighter and one work around it to get Twitter to agree with a CEO outfit instead of the actual Jack costume. If we all agree to that, we can bring that to Twitter and see what they have to say.

With that out of the way (and to something exciting), here is our next newcomer!

Jill Valentine Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto 32
Nemesis T-Tyrant Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom 17
Chris Redfield @Commander_Alph 6
Leon S. Kennedy Golden Icarus Golden Icarus 23
Ethan Winters cashregister9 cashregister9 1
Claire Redfield Jomosensual Jomosensual 1

It goes without saying that Jill Valentine is one of the most popular characters in RE and Capcom in general. Her appearance has changed drastically throughout the series as her abilities so it will be interesting to see what we come up with! I will be posting the next job shortly so please stay tuned!

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
just woke up, and i still think the retweet button being a part of smash is funny. sorry everyone.
in other news, this will be our dlc

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
First off, Twitter is open to negotiations after lengthy discussions with related departments in terms of limiting or altering the requested content. However, there was a warning that negotiations could result in a significant reduction of financial backing by Twitter. Please keep this info in mind on your discussions and how you vote.

Job #70: Submit Jill Gameplay and Moveset Proposals

Jill Valentine from Resident Evil will be second third-party character, fourth Capcom character, and our fifth female character after Octoling, Stylist, Ashley, and Medusa.

Like Barista, I want to provide a basis on how to develop the character but I want to keep it more open-ended to allow for creativity.

Jill Valentine “Has a particular gimmick/character skill that pays homage to her home series”

Please provide this character gimmick along with her her gameplay analysis, standard attacks, speciaks, Final Smash, and any other important moveset info. Also, please indicate which version of Jill it is - especially her appearance.

Finally, what’s an appropriate character color for Jill?

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Job 70

I'll start with the design since that feels like the easiest one to go with. I propose we go with the remake version as shown below as Capcom was apparently a big fan of it. Of course, her other designs could be used as alts.

For color I'd say go with a light blue as she is constantly wearing that somewhere on her outfit

Overall Jill would be a middleweight character. Her air game and jumping would be solidly middle of the pack with slightly higher than average speed.

For a gimmick I was thinking she could do a weapon change that effects her side special and much like Min Min, would effect her smash attacks as well. Her Down-B would bring out an inventory menu allowing you to scroll through the various guns used in RE3. These would be:

Samurai Edge- Generic projectile fire. When used as a Smash attack it comes out quickly, close to Min Min's Ram Ram
Shotgun - Very powerful up close, does very little from far away. Getting hit by this Smash attack would result in similar impact to the megawatt if up close.
Grenade Launcher - Quickest gun to fire. Also can aim this one with on screen crosshairs when used as a special. Acts as a normal ranged Smash attack with some burn effects.
Rocket Launcher - Not great close up, very powerful from far away. A more difficult Smash attack to land but if done successfully has a lot of damage and knockback to it if hit from a distance. As before, the farther away the Smash attack is from Jill the more power it has. Also inflicts burn damage

All these guns have some cool down on them, representing the inventory system from the games.

Rest of the moveset:
Up Special - Grappling Hook. Functions close to Jokers as it can be used to grab the stage but is also viable for combos
Neutral Special - Grenade. Functions close to Snake's grenade throw

Dash - running swipe with her survival knife
Tilts - Up is an uppercut, side is a kick to the head, down is a legsweep

Air attacks I don't really have a preference on at the moment. Either will come back to this and update later or will default to someone elses ideas on it

Final Smash - Jill take the gun she uses to finish off Nemesis from the RE3 remake and fires it across the stage. The range is quite large and results in a big knockback.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'll need to take some time to do some research, but I think the best course of action would to give her an ammo mechanic for each special, and maybe the smashes and aerials too. Basically, she'd be like Robin, but with modern weaponry rather than fantasy swords and spells. I'd also like to avoid moves that are basically "Cram six different moves into the neutral special." Those just feel overly clunky; One move for one special works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom