• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It doesn't really feel like selling out TOO much to me. It's just a bit of extra Twitter content, if Twitter were a game it would probably be considered under-repped if anything! The idea of more non-game tech rep also opens the door to Clippit which is good in my book.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I think reaching out for other partnership is better, I mean considering the stage is like Miiverse the only downside is that it did not have the same charm, idk if the stage feature handdrawn picture like the old Miiverse did or just random image and hashtag.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'd say if we want to do a tournament, a sponsership from Twitch or Redbull would be much better and more well-run. Twitter would probably turn on items and spam their logo everywhere.
Unless, of course, us humble Developer Partners planned them out...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I have some important news.

As you know, we partnered up with Twitter to include a stage called Twitter that requires players to connect their personal Twitter account to unlock the stage. It functions much like the old Miiverse stage with tweets, hashtags, and mentions from the personal account as well as accounts the player follows or is followed by.

We decided by voting to not include a Twitter universe and make it purely within the Smash universe umbrella. This decision was notified to Twitter’s appropriate departments and Nintendo’s department of marketing.

However, we received this email from Twitter’s own CEO, Jack Dorsey...

From the contents of this letter, it seems we have two possibly options. To accept their proposal to include said content into the game or decline it. Doing so would mean we get to keep the Twitter stage as well be able to include more content thanks to their monetary package. This also means we can proceed forward with a Twitter-sponsored Infinite World Circuit tournament. We would be able add the dates, locations, and notable players who would be attending as well as events included at the tournament.

With this monetary package, we can include two more characters, a first and third party, plus probably an echo or two as well as affiliated stages. Agreeing with this proposal will lead to us having to include this content though.

We could always explore other ways to get promotional partnerships with other companies other than Twitter should we decline but we would also lose the Twitter stage.

Please see the above poll to determine if we will proceed with this partnership or decline it.
Important question: is Twitter planning on making a Twitter game? If that's the case, we MIGHT be safe...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'd say if we want to do a tournament, a sponsership from Twitch or Redbull would be much better and more well-run. Twitter would probably turn on items and spam their logo everywhere.
Unless, of course, us humble Developer Partners planned them out...
The tournament is the only downside I see to Twitter content getting in, that and the Jack Dorsey costume - but frankly that's way too ridiculous to get angry over, especially when you consider Smash is a giant ad as is.

Now I think about it, if my vote won... would we be mandated to add a PlayStation rep?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
It doesn't really feel like selling out TOO much to me. It's just a bit of extra Twitter content, if Twitter were a game it would probably be considered under-repped if anything! The idea of more non-game tech rep also opens the door to Clippit which is good in my book.
including a Mii costume of the Twitter CEO doesn't sound like selling out to you?

also, technically doesn't :ultrob: open the door to Clippit?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I mean you could literally make a mii Jack Dorsey lol, we don't really need his head or outfit considering he doesn't have any consistent clothes that is "iconic", it just wreaks narcissism.
You have a point with the outfit and narcissim, but the head...

Even if you're the type to use eyebrows as eyes or what have you, this beard would be impossible to replicate. There's plenty of charactets who could benefit from that beard.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Ooh this is definitely tough. Putting a Jack Dorsey mii costume is definitely pushing it. One on hand its easy to take the characters and ignore the consequences of including non video game content, but I dont think this will be the final negotiation with Twitter if we decide to negotiate with them. Perhaps they don't allow a future character since it doesn't represent Twitter's brand image. I think I'm gonna have to vote against the deal to maintain Smash's magic, despite the fact that is essentially already a massive ad lol.

I wouldn't mind an "official Jack Dorsey Mii" which is used in advertising, like the Iwata and Reggie miis were in the E3 trailler, but if anyone is going to get a named Mii costumes of themselves it should ones that have video game history like Tony Hawk.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
You have a point with the outfit and narcissim, but the head...

Even if you're the type to use eyebrows as eyes or what have you, this beard would be impossible to replicate. There's plenty of charactets who could benefit from that beard.
I mean it's rare for Smash to add facial hair considering even the Arthur mii costume doesn't have one, there's still a lot of character who has that small Gandalf's beard. example (I also doubt we're going to get a Sony rep):

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I didn't say it isn't selling out, just that it's not as severe as other examples of game tie ins. Dole in Monkey Ball, anyone?
nah this is way more severe imo, that's just sticking a logo on collectables, this is phsically adding content that would otherwise be absent. This just feels way more in your face

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
nah this is way more severe imo, that's just sticking a logo on collectables, this is phsically adding content that would otherwise be absent. This just feels way more in your face
The thing is, should we add this Twitter content, it wouldn't be in that your face and impossible to avoid. 3 Spirits, two costumes, one stage, a bit of marketing material - that is admittedly a lot but there's over 1000 Spirits, 107 stages and 134 costumes. It's not much more than Electroplankton or Nintendogs' representation.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It's more better if we swap out Twitter with Twitch, at least that platform focuses on gaming and it would be fun if there's a Fortnite Ninja mii costume or mii costume based on Twitch's partner program.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
The thing is, should we add this Twitter content, it wouldn't be in that your face and impossible to avoid. 3 Spirits, two costumes, one stage, a bit of marketing material - that is admittedly a lot but there's over 1000 Spirits, 107 stages and 134 costumes. It's not much more than Electroplankton or Nintendogs' representation.
solely representation wise you may have a point, but we don't know how else it will affect the rest of the Infinite product. Twitter will undoubtedly get a segment in a direct, and may even demand space on the box art for the twitter logo. Twitter has to have something to gain out of this, and they would benefit the most by aggressively advertising their presence in the game.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
solely representation wise you may have a point, but we don't know how else it will affect the rest of the Infinite product. Twitter will undoubtedly get a segment in a direct, and may even demand space on the box art for the twitter logo. Twitter has to have something to gain out of this, and they would benefit the most by aggressively advertising their presence in the game.
All this seems very hypothetical, I know how capitalism works but generally in-game product placement is kept out of advertising. There's no Mercedes on the MK8D box, there's no Dole on the Super Monkey Ball box, and there's no Skittles on the Darkened Skye box. I imagine Twitter would advertise their prescence through Twitter itself, not Smash.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Having the guy appear in a trailer is one thing. A full on costume is another

I'd rather break our Video game rule with someone like Tony Hawk, Not a guy who doesn't have any initiative to ban bigots or abusers on his platform, but bans people for making fan-art, I know he isn't the entirety of Twitter but he is the CEO and he calls the shots.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
All this seems very hypothetical, I know how capitalism works but generally in-game product placement is kept out of advertising. There's no Mercedes on the MK8D box, there's no Dole on the Super Monkey Ball box, and there's no Skittles on the Darkened Skye box. I imagine Twitter would advertise their prescence through Twitter itself, not Smash.
The Mercedes content in Mario Kart is admittedly a good point, and something I forgot about. However, I think theres a distinction in that Smash has a Sakurai stated rule that there will be no non video game characters, and is the only official rule hes acknowledged afaik. Whether a Stage, Spirits, and Mii costumes crosses that is up to interpretation I suppose, but even if it doesn't it certainly puts a crack in the door, a door I'm not sure I want opened.

Regarding the point that the concerns I raised are hypothetical, thats true but I think there's reason to be wary of them. Twitter wasn't satisfied with just a stage, which would have been enough to cement them in the game, and be used in advertising material. They demanded we add the Twitter universe as well or no dice. If they are willing to axe the whole stage just for the lack of a logo/universe, I think there's reason to believe they may push more demands later to maintain their payment and involvement with Infinite.

On a side note I'm glad the vote is pretty even, despite the fact that I'm strongly on one of the sides. its suspenseful.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Having the guy appear in a trailer is one thing. A full on costume is another

I'd rather break our Video game rule with someone like Tony Hawk, Not a guy who doesn't have any initiative to ban bigots or abusers on his platform, but bans people for making fan-art, I know he isn't the entirety of Twitter but he is the CEO and he calls the shots.
To avoid drama I think we should treat corporations as generally friendly and with best interests in mind but very greedy, I don't want corporate politics coming into our hypothetical Smash game.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Perhaps they don't allow a future character since it doesn't represent Twitter's brand image
This right here, I believe, is the best argument against Twitter's negotiation. I can live with fans being upset over a stage or even a Mii Costume. But something affecting our very fun and engaging Super Smash Bros. Sequel Project-especially not allowing certain fighters-would be really annoying.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
To avoid drama I think we should treat corporations as generally friendly and with best interests in mind but very greedy, I don't want corporate politics coming into our hypothetical Smash game.
I do agree, but the Baggage that comes with a decision like this is always there. It is different for this project than something bigger so I don't really know the best decision for this project. I would normally try to avoid situations like this entirely but that is nearly impossible.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
it's basically Twitch's mascot for the partner program because in the context of Smash it actually make sense because Smash X Twitch and laso "partner"ship.
Ah, that makes sense. Having a Mii for a game-focused streaming platform sounds pretty reasonable, especially since it's a general outfit and not based on a specific person.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'll keep my vote as it is and hit the hay for now. I'm excited to see what path we take here.
EDIT: Hold on, I thought of something and needed to get it out before I sleep.
What if we decline to negotiate with Twitter and, as a result, they purposely try to keep our game from getting too much advertisement on their platform? (i.e. shadowbanning Smash fan accounts, hiding Tweets made with the Infinite hashtag, etc)
Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This right here, I believe, is the best argument against Twitter's negotiation. I can live with fans being upset over a stage or even a Mii Costume. But something affecting our very fun and engaging Super Smash Bros. Sequel Project-especially not allowing certain fighters-would be really annoying.
The only character I could see them rejecting is Porky since he's supposed to be a negative perception of capitalism, which even then could be easily avoided by using his younger EarthBound depiction.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please keep in mind that this content would only be available for those who decide to link their Twitter account to the game so adding a Twitter character would be against the policy of the game as it would restrict said character to those who have an account and decide to link it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Please keep in mind that this content would only be available for those who decide to link their Twitter account to the game so adding a Twitter character would be against the policy of the game as it would restrict said character to those who have an account and decide to link it.
Did you specify that before? Because I think that would've made it way less divisive if we knew that (or it was spelled more clearly) in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom