• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

voorhese

Smash Master
you know what i just thought of, if i have to forfeit because i cant make it to purdue(in the 24 hours), then right after someone challenges me, and i forfeit, then i challenge them..... if they cant come to monticello i win by default this rule doesnt make sense to me because of this, and its not fair to say all matches must be at purdue so.... i think matches should be asked either in advance (if a date cannot be held then you re-schedule), or spontaneously if at the same place

well i guess if i cannot make it to purdue for like 4 weeks, then everyone just throws me to the bottom of the list, and b/c i cant challenge them right after, and the next person can challange me right away, its more or less impossible to keep my spot, you should make it so someone who has lost their last match should not be allowed to be challenged, until they try to avenge themselves the next day (or challenge) this would stop people who cant make it often to from always being at the bottom

any thoughts?

'Fro

Smash Lord
you know what i just thought of, if i have to forfeit because i cant make it to purdue(in the 24 hours), then right after someone challenges me, and i forfeit, then i challenge them..... if they cant come to monticello i win by default this rule doesnt make sense to me because of this, and its not fair to say all matches must be at purdue so.... i think matches should be asked either in advance (if a date cannot be held then you re-schedule), or spontaneously if at the same place

well i guess if i cannot make it to purdue for like 4 weeks, then everyone just throws me to the bottom of the list, and b/c i cant challenge them right after, and the next person can challange me right away, its more or less impossible to keep my spot, you should make it so someone who has lost their last match should not be allowed to be challenged, until they try to avenge themselves the next day (or challenge) this would stop people who cant make it often to from always being at the bottom

any thoughts?
It's not gauranteed that the person who challenges whoever's above you will actually win that challenge. I see where you're going with this, but I woudln't be too concerned. Also, you can go ahead and win back your spot whenever you're here.

voorhese

Smash Master
It's not gauranteed that the person who challenges whoever's above you will actually win that challenge. I see where you're going with this, but I woudln't be too concerned. Also, you can go ahead and win back your spot whenever you're here.
lol yah but it will just be kind of gay to play 12 people everytime i show up, (i would have to do on my own time), but i guess if i have to play a lot of people it will help in tourney play anyway ;)

goosefactor

Smash Lord
OMFG

Voorheese, I'm going to make it my job to see to it that the person below you challenges you, and then when you forfeit, I will see to it that the new person below challenges you. I will rinse and repeat this process until you are at the very bottom, and everyone will laugh and make fun of you (no offense, Rexolis).

Jayford

Smash Lord
OMFG

Voorheese, I'm going to make it my job to see to it that the person below you challenges you, and then when you forfeit, I will see to it that the new person below challenges you. I will rinse and repeat this process until you are at the very bottom, and everyone will laugh and make fun of you (no offense, Rexolis).

=0 Goose is mean!

voorhese

Smash Master
OMFG

lol i knew it would be you, ur just mad because you cant see limitz's sister

_kSo_

Smash Master
OMFG

theres a difference between rexolis and voorhese

walter (rexolis) plays this game like .002 times per month
walter plays cornerback for purdue
walter is black

voorhese plays this game [always]
voorhese fails english
voorhese is a fuckin' voorhese

which is why it would be much, much funnier to see the voorhese voorhese himself to the bottom

And yea, we may just have to take you off the rankings for this purpose. After all, your presence at recent tournaments has been sub par, to put it lightly. Don't worry, you'll still be on the honorable mentions list.

voorhese

Smash Master
theres a difference between rexolis and voorhese

walter (rexolis) plays this game like .002 times per month
walter plays cornerback for purdue
walter is black

voorhese plays this game [always]
voorhese fails english
voorhese is a fuckin' voorhese

which is why it would be much, much funnier to see the voorhese voorhese himself to the bottom

And yea, we may just have to take you off the rankings for this purpose. After all, your presence at recent tournaments has been sub par, to put it lightly. Don't worry, you'll still be on the honorable mentions list.
oh yah i challenge you, come to monticello by 8:35 tommorow, or i take your spot....and if this isnt private enough, i will be sending this same message to you via PM =)

also whats english?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mr. H, stop making people think that you're actually decent at pokemon.

You're so bad lol

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
all i have to say is...

falco has a better matchup vs fox than fox does lolll

draco i challenge you next ssbo.

Ok I have a question. Say I challenge Draco and Alan challenges me, what order and precedences do the challenges have? If I beat Draco then could Alan still challenge me? If I lose to Alan can i still challenge Draco?

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
Hey, all. Great tournament. Shoutouts:

Me: For showing up instead of playing magic.
Jay Hart: For getting a date (Better luck next time), and for driving my tv over, and for carrying it himself rather than letting me help.
Jay Zifer: for giving said tv a place to spend the night.
Anthony: for playing friendlies with me.
Voorhese: ****in voorhese
Jon: Just kidding. You lost, bringing shame and humiliation upon our entire family.
Fro: sorry for snapping at you after I lost to George.
George!: for organizing the tournament
Everyone Else: for being there

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
10:49:21 PM) LWoodyard08: and who is fro and why is the term "fro'd myself" thrown around so much
(10:49:29 PM) George: fro plays sheik/samus
(10:49:35 PM) LWoodyard08: idk all these people
(10:49:36 PM) George: the term fro has been around along time
(10:49:41 PM) George: cunning kitsune is the original fro
(10:49:47 PM) George: fro is just called fro because he had an afro
(10:49:50 PM) George: but now he has no fro
(10:49:54 PM) George: so he is no fro

'Fro

Smash Lord
Hey, all. Great tournament. Shoutouts:

Fro: sorry for snapping at you after I lost to George.
No worries. I'm trying to get you out of a funk due to the fact that I recognize your mindset quite a bit. You've shown now that you've got what it takes to pull through. See, this is what we were trying to do a few posts ago: Help you out. Our crew is one that fosters improvement and competetive mentality. Utilize that as well as you can. I know I did and still do so.

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my mindset is one of the biggest issues I have right now. I can't play well at all unless I'm concentrating 100%. If I miss something, my game goes downhill and I start getting frustrated, which leads to more missing, and in extreme cases, random violent outbursts. I feel like most of what's holding me back is mental at this point.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
draco i challenge you next ssbo.

Ok I have a question. Say I challenge Draco and Alan challenges me, what order and precedences do the challenges have? If I beat Draco then could Alan still challenge me? If I lose to Alan can i still challenge Draco?
That's a good question, George, and one for which I have been contemplating an answer since the idea for the PPR first arose. The simplest answer to this is that challenges are "first come, first serve," that is, the challenge which was first issued takes precedence; all subsequent matches go off of the result of that challenge in accordance with the one-rank rule. For example, if you challenged Adam before Alan challenged you, you and Adam would play your match and report the result as soon as possible. If you then defeat Adam and move up to #6, Alan (currently #8) can no longer challenge Adam since he is now more than 1 rank ahead of Alan (unless Alan makes the challenge on an SSBO day, in which case he could challenge 1-2 ranks ahead of him as per the "SSBO Challenge" rule if Adam is present).

If for whatever reason agreement cannot be reached as to which challenge was issued first, the challenge involving the highest-ranked players will be played first.

Edit: Adam, that's perfectly alright.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
That's a good question, George, and one for which I have been contemplating an answer since the idea for the PPR first arose. The simplest answer to this is that challenges are "first come, first serve," that is, the challenge which was first issued takes precedence; all subsequent matches go off of the result of that challenge in accordance with the one-rank rule. For example, if you challenged Adam before Alan challenged you, you and Adam would play your match and report the result as soon as possible. If you then defeat Adam and move up to #6, Alan (currently #8) can no longer challenge Adam since he is now more than 1 rank ahead of Alan (unless Alan makes the challenge on an SSBO day, in which case he could challenge 1-2 ranks ahead of him as per the "SSBO Challenge" rule if Adam is present).

If for whatever reason agreement cannot be reached as to which challenge was issued first, the challenge involving the highest-ranked players will be played first.
One thing being, I had thrown out a challenge to Fro awhile back before George tossed out his challenge to me. Please check Page 548.

'Fro

Smash Lord
One thing being, I had thrown out a challenge to Fro awhile back before George tossed out his challenge to me. Please check Page 548.
Oops....Just checked back, and this is true. Well, I won against George, so nothing was affected in the long run. If I understood Anthony correctly, until we're next at a tournament, am I not to accept challenges from whoever's no.7 until Adam and I play our set?

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Ahmed, this one may be a case of extenuating circumstances. On the one hand, it is true that #7 would be too low in the rankings to challenge you in the usual sense. However, since Adam's presence is not guaranteed to be all too frequent, I also do not think that it would be fair to the others if you were granted immunity to lower-level challenges simply because of the nature of the circumstances of the ranked players around you. Go ahead and sort this out amongst you three; I'm sure that you all can come to a mutual agreement on this.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Ahmed, this one may be a case of extenuating circumstances. On the one hand, it is true that #7 would be too low in the rankings to challenge you in the usual sense. However, since Adam's presence is not guaranteed to be all too frequent, I also do not think that it would be fair to the others if you were granted immunity to lower-level challenges simply because of the nature of the circumstances of the ranked players around you. Go ahead and sort this out amongst you three; I'm sure that you all can come to a mutual agreement on this.
All right, then. I'll take it up with everybody involved and see what we'll come up with.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
This challenge system stuff, did you guys make this up or did you get this from somewhere else?

/curious

I've always seen rankings simply based off tourney results and shiz.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master

DracoFox

Smash Ace
If it makes you feel better. I WILL be in town of that weekend for the tournament regardless, unless something comes up with the cleaning part of my 2nd job. I'm trying to get the 10th off mainly though. My mom's bday is on the 11th. Thus that means i have to be in town no matter what. Challenges will be handled. And Kit, if you don't mind, I would like to take on both of my challenges against Fro and George that weekend. I know it'll go against the 24 hour period rule, but I do not see it as a problem if Fro is still one rank above me when the time comes. If this is a troublesome for you, you know how to get a hold of me Kit.

BunBun

Smash Master
So I have a question for you Fox and Falcon players;

Alright, you're playing a match and it's all going great, until your opponent gains the momentum. In some way, he increased the flow of your match to a speed that is out of your taste. Which do you consider the optimal choice: Slowing the match down by whichever tactic you possess, knocking the opponent off beat, during which you take control, or would you rather speed up the flow of the match to stymie your opponent's momentum, but not quite gain full control until your opponent falters, during which you take control?

I know this has a TON to do with personal preference, so don't look at it as me asking 'what should I do?'
I'm asking each of you, what do you find yourself doing, and why?

Top Bottom