• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
But... Its... So easy to see. Just duck, let go, press L/R. Really. Let go first, and just press L/R. Have a friend spam neutral B on the ground. If you have a turbo controller, go get some elastic bands. That's how I did it.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I would like to see people actually use this in tournament. Doesn't matter how easy or hard it is to do. If it's useful, it will catch on.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Its hard to do it on command. I can do it consistently once I've got it down, with the turbo controller shooting at me. I was saying how "seeing" the tech is easy. Not performing it in-game. I guess performing it in-game is like trying to implement SHFFL aerials for the first time. It takes getting used to.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I used it just last weekend in tournament play, it is admittedly much harder to implement in a match than to just to in training mode etc, I think i was only getting about 50% of them back at them.

And yeah, the timing does get a bit harder once they start firing below standing laser height, you might lose 1 or 2 frames in which to do it in.

Drecker

Smash Ace
I've gotten so used to powershielding **** that when I play Fox I forget to Shine projectiles back sometimes, real talk.

It gets me ***** sometimes, but whatever.

Jigglypuff community: What is your opinion on the current Puff/Samus matchup? I hate Jiggs dittos and my Falcon / Fox get abused by other Puffs.

GSUB

Smash Lord
I've gotten so used to powershielding **** that when I play Fox I forget to Shine projectiles back sometimes, real talk.

It gets me ***** sometimes, but whatever.

Jigglypuff community: What is your opinion on the current Puff/Samus matchup? I hate Jiggs dittos and my Falcon / Fox get abused by other Puffs.
If Samus is not your main, expect to get *****.
In my experience against Samus, all I need is nair on-stage, and fair/bair when off stage.
AutoCancelled-Nair to anything ***** Samus On-Stage.

idea

Smash Master
seems easy for puff. i don't think samus has much of an answer to bair and shield spam. (cause what's she gonna do, GRAB you?)

fair is good too, cause i don't think samus can get past bair except by nairing before it comes out...and fair + aerial mobility kind of beats samus' nair.

she also doesn't have any great rest punishes. not sure what % fully charged fsmash or charged shot kills jiggs, but it's not something i find myself worrying about in matches.

and there's the rest her out of shield on dash attack thing. really easy to do.

and the edgeguarding is supposed to be really easy (haven't played our resident samus main in a while =P). basically you jump out and get in the way and samus can't really do anything about it. you can fair her or just allow yourself to get hit by her bomb...hahaha.

on the other hand, hugs does pretty well against mango's puff. i think i remember seeing a set of them recently. not sure how to account for that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Samus is terrible vs Puff. Samus is mostly WD back --> moves and Puff has absurd aerial movement to counteract the WD back part, and priority through the bulk of Samus's ground moves. Samus can't compete in the air, either, because of Puff's better aerials and aerial mobility.

Samus also can be shield-gayed pretty hard by Puff. Almost everything she does to Puff's shield can be punished, and sometimes this means free Rests for Puff.

Learn how to Puff ditto or get better with Fox.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
seems easy for puff. i don't think samus has much of an answer to bair spam.
This applies to a lot of the rest of the cast too haha....

Marth is very hard, almost as hard as for imo.. If he lands a grab, you can get killed at really low to high percents depending on DI. After 100+, he has trouble killing you, but Marth usually won't let that happen.

According to Mango, any fox will beat a puff unless puff is real good. Just learn the uthrow uair timing and you're set.

If you want to try Marth, just fair and grab spam.... adapt after you get those two down.

lol @ tickytoc's advice. Holding down is my favorite strategy in this game.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Hungrybox I just saw some of your team sets at Gigabits. Your ledge hop Dair -> jump pound edgeguard is very interesting vs Ganon. Why not just let go of edge -> Pound?

idea

Smash Master
Fox is better as a character and for Puff. Puff has no answer for proper Fox camping and onstage fighting.
I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, he's fast and stuff.

Hungrybox I just saw some of your team sets at Gigabits. Your ledge hop Dair -> jump pound edgeguard is very interesting vs Ganon. Why not just let go of edge -> Pound?
link?

sounds like a spur of the moment thing. dair maybe cause the ganon was below him and he was running out of invincibility...pound cause...he was being really careful not to get caught in ganon's up-b? or maybe just 'cause he felt like it.

but i don't think it really matters vs. ganon =P ganon is hilarious offstage vs. jiggs. just TRY to miss him.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
For clarity I don't think that camping = auto-win for Fox or anything vs Puff. I think Puff's too good for it to do that much.

But I don't think she has an immediate, proper, safe answer for it. Except maybe Bair.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I agree that Puff can't be camped to death all four stocks by Fox. And can't you just Nair right over him? It closes the space, and it auto cancels.

HBox's Dair -> Pound thing didn't look like a mistake, because he did it several times. But I think Ganon made it back most, if not all the times he tried this. If they can tech the Pound, its still okay, because its a free Bair for you, correct?

Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syds5w1B1Vs and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gpQMgeYkOI

By the way, just a random question, in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaJD4R4GSso (GF of Gigabits), on the last match at DreamLand, how was the music changed? Was it edited? Because it came out of nowhere and seems to have been in sync with everything else. But I've also heard of alternate sound tracks for stages.

idea

Smash Master
fair enough. you have to stop fox before he's started hitting you, pretty much. keep him unstable.

either that or hope he approaches and stuff.

edit: ohh, okay, i think i see what you mean. i didn't watch the whole video, but i saw him do dair fsmash, and yeah, that was probably why, so that the ganon couldn't tech it. and the dair is to position him for further edgeguarding.

might also be just to get them out of the way since it's teams. meh.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
KirbyKaze is a pretty cool guy. Plays Fox v Jigglypuff and doesn't intimidated by nairs.

I always thought if you use it correctly, it can be really good.

idea

Smash Master
It can be okay once fox stops being able to crouch-cancel it. Knock him over - jab reset - rest. Or as a mixup in general. You could do that thing mango does, nairing their shield then landing far enough away to bait a grab (and hit them when they miss).

Not sure if you can actually nair-grab or not, before fox can shine. Seems possible, if hard to time.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Depends on when you nair. If you nair late, fox can usmash you before it comes out, and if you nair early, fox can do what GSUB said....

nair is really useful full hopped. You kinda just float above their head and fox can't really do anything other than wait or run away.

idea

Smash Master
nair is sort of useful if you...if you're to the right of fox, do a "C" arc with it and land a little in front of him. i THINK you have time to see if you've hit him (then grab) or if he's shielded it (then float out of grab range). not a terrible way to get grabs. i'm imagining this on a fox, by the way. fox is probably the only character you need detailed matchup knowledge for =P

or you could go for nair - jab reset - rest, which starts working somewhat when he's at high enough percent to get knocked over, but i dunno when that is.

hmm...i like nair vs. falcon when they're attacking me.

Tamoo

Smash Master
buut zelda gets absolutely ***** by jiggs >.<

Also, I too love coming from above on a fox and nairing but landing out of range, just out of their usmash range so if they jump into it, you have a chance to follow up. If they dont jump, you just land safely out of range.

I do this a lot against laser spamming falcos too.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
1) Idea: by the time you can jab reset rest, I'm pretty sure its better to just charge an FSmash on them. It hits them out, and chances are they're far enough out to have to come from under. And we all know how easy that is.

Plus, if they DI the jab (not roll from it, though), you can still reach them with your FSmash. Its easier than to try to get them with your rest.

2) I did the PS thing against Falcon's stomp, and grabbed him, DThrow, platform tech chase away rest. :D

idea

Smash Master
1) Idea: by the time you can jab reset rest, I'm pretty sure its better to just charge an FSmash on them. It hits them out, and chances are they're far enough out to have to come from under. And we all know how easy that is.

Plus, if they DI the jab (not roll from it, though), you can still reach them with your FSmash. Its easier than to try to get them with your rest.

2) I did the PS thing against Falcon's stomp, and grabbed him, DThrow, platform tech chase away rest. :D
meh, fsmash is good too. not nearly as cool...but it could be better against fox if they would have been able to kill you after respawning.

one time i did dthrow techchase dthrow techchase dthrow techchase rest on the bottom of yoshi's story...and it wasn't recorded. this was even worse cause they started recording stuff a few minutes later.

techchasing is so fun with jigglypuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom