• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

idea

Smash Master
hmm...i think the "do you want to turn around" part is near the beginning of jiggs' jump. try jumping and moving horizontally after waiting for longer than you had been. and practice in training mode till you don't have to think about it.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
You gotta turn your DI around to the other side, to do an empty jump. You'll face the direction you're holding. It's easier to just B-air imo, though.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
he could still go low and up-b =P i think one of the reasons it can be hard to edgeguard marth is cause jiggs can't refresh invincibility very quickly. marth can often wait you out with side-b's and floatiness.

the jumping out with aerials stuff rarely works for me cause marth's fair is faster than those aerials, so i have to make it look like i'm not about to fair him. i guess you have to make the marth think he has to wait offstage to be safe, and then grab the edge once he's wasted some time/possibly jumped.

but mostly, i don't really know how i edgeguard him...i just kind of make it up as i go. i do whatever i can to try to grab the edge, but beyond that i guess i'll have to take note of it next time i play europhoria. doesn't help that that guy's good at recovering in general.
You can refresh invincibility frames by pressing down, jumping, and singing (Up B). You grab the edge faster, and you can restore your invincibility frames that way. Its nothing near as fast as a Spacie's ledgestall, but it works.

If you know they have to come in hugging the wall, just do a rising pound. Rising because it increases your chances of landing it. Chances are, they'll be DIing up, or in, because they have to press Up B, and this gives you a free Bair to their face. You can bait them to hug the wall by jumping out, on top of him. Normally (from my experience), they'll wait, and go under you, or jump and Fair you. Just make sure they don't Fair you.

And yeah, I should take note of what I'm doing against Europhoria too lol.

idea

Smash Master
You can refresh invincibility frames by pressing down, jumping, and singing (Up B). You grab the edge faster, and you can restore your invincibility frames that way. Its nothing near as fast as a Spacie's ledgestall, but it works.

If you know they have to come in hugging the wall, just do a rising pound. Rising because it increases your chances of landing it. Chances are, they'll be DIing up, or in, because they have to press Up B, and this gives you a free Bair to their face. You can bait them to hug the wall by jumping out, on top of him. Normally (from my experience), they'll wait, and go under you, or jump and Fair you. Just make sure they don't Fair you.

And yeah, I should take note of what I'm doing against Europhoria too lol.
you can indeed do that, but that is three things, and marth up-b'ing is only one thing. and it's probably faster than any one of those three parts. it'll work if he's far enough away, but if he is, you didn't really need to grab the edge yet anyway...although if that's how you were imagining it, then sure.

i'll have to try out the rising pound thing, though. that makes sense on paper...especially if they've already used their jump.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
you guys talking about edgeguarding marth? best way is just to use moves that go through his or trade such as n air or f air then if they go close again just hit them

otherwise yeah get frames, the instant sing edgegrab thing is pretty ****, in a tourney match I bthrowed marth then ran off, sing b air. It's in the european combo video haha

Most marths generally recover low against jiggz (+ not use their jumps) or air dodge when she gets close

Don't even play jiggz anymore >:

idea

Smash Master
haha, that means he only did one empty hop vs. armada (jumps - total aerials). guess you can't really psyche him out. and wait, 41 L-cancels, but 156 aerials?

you guys talking about edgeguarding marth? best way is just to use moves that go through his or trade such as n air or f air then if they go close again just hit them

otherwise yeah get frames, the instant sing edgegrab thing is pretty ****, in a tourney match I bthrowed marth then ran off, sing b air. It's in the european combo video haha

Most marths generally recover low against jiggz (+ not use their jumps) or air dodge when she gets close

Don't even play jiggz anymore >:
how on earth do you go through marth's fair? trading with jiggs' fair i can see, though.

and yeah, falcon is better, good choice =P

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
hit through marths up b I mean, loads of ways to abuse his ****ty recovery

and falcon ftw lol

mango don't know some things I know about puff lol, had to tell him **** before playing armada cause I thought he sucked against peach first :p losing to the pink shinobi on Mute city I kept pissing him off for weeks :D

idea

Smash Master

and falcon ftw lol

mango don't know some things I know about puff lol, had to tell him **** before playing armada cause I thought he sucked against peach first :p losing to the pink shinobi on Mute city I kept pissing him off for weeks :D
oh, okay, agreed. but i think his recovery is only a problem when he still has his jump.

and what'd you tell him?

strawhats

Smash Master

and falcon ftw lol

Money match mango in jiggz dittos. When the **** ensues, dont say i didnt warn you. lol

Nah but seriously im glad that you're considering coming to Pound 4

AprilShaw

aka Logan
haha, that means he only did one empty hop vs. armada (jumps - total aerials). guess you can't really psyche him out. and wait, 41 L-cancels, but 156 aerials?
There were multiple times where he did more than one aerial in a jump, and as you can see most of his aerials he either didn't land or auto cancelled :p

And, he had less than 41 L-cancels I think. There were 2 times where he spammed a bunch of SH N-airs back to back that I thought he L-cancelled, but looking back it looks like he auto cancelled them all.

What I liked was he used F/B/N-air all pretty much the same amount (he would spam a few between stocks or while recovering, in actual usage they were all within 2 or 3 of each other most likely)

Also I have a question for the Jiggs mains here. I play Smash a lot with people who aren't as good as me, nd once a week with people who are a good bit better than me. When I'm playing those who aren't as good, and I go Jiggs (I just picked her up a week or two ago again, played her like a year+ ago when I sucked lol) it always feels like I don't get any better/spam the same stupid things, and/or they get really frustrated and don't wanna play. But when I play with the people who are better than me, they all play Fox/Marth/Sheik/etc and I just can't keep up as Jiggs, so I lose and still feel like I learned nothing (since I have to wait for 2 more matches before I get to go again lol). Anyone else have the same situation?

In short, I love playing Jiggs but I hate making people frustrated and I can't keep up with those better than me. :( don't know what advice you could give but if any of you have any, it'd be much appreciated! xD

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Said I cant come to pound already but I'll come in the summer, I was just telling mango about doing b air to rest on peach more and he did it in genesis rofl. It's just **** against peach

Ur not even best jiggs in UK ;)
wut..? you still got a while to go before your jiggz is better than mine lol

GSUB

Smash Lord
YO TAMOO!!!

I just used your powershielding advice yesterday in tournament (I was co-host) against a Falco (The host) in Loser's bracket.

It confused the crap out of people watching, and him too. Especially when I would poweshield the laser back at him when it's already at the back of my shield. Lol. It wasn't too hard to do, and it was my first time ever trying it. You're right about it being a timing, but it's pretty simple.
Thanks! :]

Tamoo

Smash Master
Haha good to know!

Kirby boards weren't quite as appreciative of the advice >.>

Also, I was talking to InsaneCrazyGuy, and he was coming up with some really innovative uses of this powershield. Possibly broken uses if we manage to develop it fully. He was thinking about powershielding actual moves to rest. Dunno how easy this would be to pull off or how viable it is, but I thought it should be something I just throw out there.

shounenkel

Smash Journeyman
My gods mango how to i DI marth forward throw to forward smash, with puff, I've tryed uesing peach forward DI but still dont works >_< help me pls:ohwell:

idea

Smash Master
There were 2 times where he spammed a bunch of SH N-airs back to back that I thought he L-cancelled, but looking back it looks like he auto cancelled them all.

Also I have a question for the Jiggs mains here. I play Smash a lot with people who aren't as good as me, nd once a week with people who are a good bit better than me. When I'm playing those who aren't as good, and I go Jiggs (I just picked her up a week or two ago again, played her like a year+ ago when I sucked lol) it always feels like I don't get any better/spam the same stupid things, and/or they get really frustrated and don't wanna play. But when I play with the people who are better than me, they all play Fox/Marth/Sheik/etc and I just can't keep up as Jiggs, so I lose and still feel like I learned nothing (since I have to wait for 2 more matches before I get to go again lol). Anyone else have the same situation?

In short, I love playing Jiggs but I hate making people frustrated and I can't keep up with those better than me. :( don't know what advice you could give but if any of you have any, it'd be much appreciated! xD
if he fastfell the nairs, they were probably l-canceled. they should have been, at least. if he didn't, then they were probably autocanceled.

aand...you'd have to be more specific. try to pay more attention to what you and the other person are doing. uhh...take turns approaching them and letting them come to you. if the latter is pissing them off then consider going to them more often (friendlies, y'know).

think things like "okay, all this fox is doing is nairing at me...maybe i should wait for him to do that and bair him as he lands" or "he usually techrolls away from me, i think i can assume he'll do it this time" (and people often roll away from jiggs cause she's slow and defensive and stuff)

Also, I was talking to InsaneCrazyGuy, and he was coming up with some really innovative uses of this powershield. Possibly broken uses if we manage to develop it fully. He was thinking about powershielding actual moves to rest. Dunno how easy this would be to pull off or how viable it is, but I thought it should be something I just throw out there.
*insane carzy guy. it's definitely carzy.

that would indeed be good. powershielding is really good. hard, though, and that's the only reason it's not done more.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
My gods mango how to i DI marth forward throw to forward smash, with puff, I've tryed uesing peach forward DI but still dont works >_< help me pls:ohwell:
There's no general rule for it, but usually Marth will throw in the direction closer to the killzone (dthrow or fthrow). The main thing is to react very fast or know the grab is coming, otherwise you will be tippered. Also don't change your mind halfway through.... it sounds silly but I've gotten tippered a ton of times cause of that.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
That power shielding thing ***** vs Link/Y.Link... power shield bomb to rest/bair/fair/whatever xD

if he fastfell the nairs, they were probably l-canceled. they should have been, at least. if he didn't, then they were probably autocanceled.
They weren't fast fallen, I'm pretty sure. Youtube quality is meh though so I'm not 100% sure either way and I don't feel like going back and checking all his aerials again xD

aand...you'd have to be more specific. try to pay more attention to what you and the other person are doing. uhh...take turns approaching them and letting them come to you. if the latter is pissing them off then consider going to them more often (friendlies, y'know).

think things like "okay, all this fox is doing is nairing at me...maybe i should wait for him to do that and bair him as he lands" or "he usually techrolls away from me, i think i can assume he'll do it this time" (and people often roll away from jiggs cause she's slow and defensive and stuff)
The problem is these people are just too **** fast. One of them, has beaten top players and took a game off M2K's Marth lol. I can keep up if I'm playing my other chars (Fox/Falco/Marth) but I'm trying to switch to pretty much just using Falco and Jiggs... and I don't even really know what to work on with my Jiggs.

Hopefully I'll get some matches recorded this coming Friday though, which would be really helpful lol

Edit: This is a tech skill vid of one of the guys I'm talking about lol, from 2 years ago. He's gotten better xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_1WVZFOE8E&feature=related

idea

Smash Master
oh, okay, i have that problem too then. raynex's fox is really really fast O_O

basically what i do there is play pretty defensively and make stuff up as i go. you can't, like, out-attack fox. you have to somehow avoid him and get him during his few moments of weakness. bairing/fairing/nairing above his head before he has a chance to jump is useful.

and i've been very gradually picking up falco too...i like switching to falco, and laughing at how much easier it is to do everything. laser laser grab dair dair bair grab edge dair. you die once you get hit a few times, but until then, hehe. (by the way, with falco, try lasering more...again, can't hurt)

but i'm not the best person to give advice about this, especially since he keeps beating me <_<

by the way, m2k's marth in tournament, or friendlies? kind of a big difference.

edit: and with marth...i usually DI fthrow above and toward him at low percents and away at high percents or when i feel like it. i should be DIing it away and down at high percents but i always forget the down part.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
DI Marth's throw away if he won't tipper, in if he will. Its basically knowing when you'll have to eat it. But then if he knows you're doing this, he'll B/Dthrow, and you'll have to just guess.

And the powershield thing... Don't the attacks have to be coming from over your head to PS it? I can't think of any practical uses of the PS -> Rest. Although, a hilarious use would be to PS a Falcon Punch -> Rest :D.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
oh, okay, i have that problem too then. raynex's fox is really really fast O_O

basically what i do there is play pretty defensively and make stuff up as i go. you can't, like, out-attack fox. you have to somehow avoid him and get him during his few moments of weakness. bairing/fairing/nairing above his head before he has a chance to jump is useful.

and i've been very gradually picking up falco too...i like switching to falco, and laughing at how much easier it is to do everything. laser laser grab dair dair bair grab edge dair. you die once you get hit a few times, but until then, hehe. (by the way, with falco, try lasering more...again, can't hurt)

but i'm not the best person to give advice about this, especially since he keeps beating me <_<

by the way, m2k's marth in tournament, or friendlies? kind of a big difference.

edit: and with marth...i usually DI fthrow above and toward him at low percents and away at high percents or when i feel like it. i should be DIing it away and down at high percents but i always forget the down part.
In tournament :p

And yeah idk. I'm just slow with Puff. Probably 'cause I'm still new to playing her xD

idea

Smash Master
nah, he can often wavefsmash and get you anyway. often, if not always, up to some high percent. it can just be hard for the marth to time it at lower percents.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Maybe not ground moves so much but more shffled arials that come your way. Those should be powershieldable
Powershielding Falco/Fox/Link style N-airs isn't too hard, or any sex kicks really. Noticeably harder than lasers though lol xD but not as hard as straight up powershielding.

shounenkel

Smash Journeyman
There's no general rule for it, but usually Marth will throw in the direction closer to the killzone (dthrow or fthrow). The main thing is to react very fast or know the grab is coming, otherwise you will be tippered. Also don't change your mind halfway through.... it sounds silly but I've gotten tippered a ton of times cause of that.
thanks but i just DI up from his throws now it works now but sometimes it still gets me lol, thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom