• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
I remember seeing Mango SDI upwards at Pound 3. The more inputs you get the better.
This is why I asked the question.

I've been trying to get consistent when I play my friend who plays fox and I was watching the the clip from pound 3 and thought it looked like he SDI upwards.

Also, I'm slightly confused with what people are telling me. I'm hearing DI one way and then SDI the other way.

Are you telling me to DI the throw and then SDI the hit?

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I thought that fox's position would also factor in to which direction to DI.

If he throws up and you DI right, and he runs a little bit but is slightly on the left side of you, wouldn't it be better to SDI right again because if you SDI left you would get hit with the stronger part?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
No I think the point is assuming that you DI the throw, fox will have to run before his two jumps, making him travel slightly sideways while he's uairing... not sure so I'll have to try this out sometime.

idea

Smash Master
This is why I asked the question.

I've been trying to get consistent when I play my friend who plays fox and I was watching the the clip from pound 3 and thought it looked like he SDI upwards.

Also, I'm slightly confused with what people are telling me. I'm hearing DI one way and then SDI the other way.

Are you telling me to DI the throw and then SDI the hit?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217426

Di throw, SDI the first hit of up-air, yes.

If he throws up and you DI right, and he runs a little bit but is slightly on the left side of you, wouldn't it be better to SDI right again because if you SDI left you would get hit with the stronger part?
i'm not sure if you can smash DI the strong hit or not, but even if you can, this is never gonna come up =P

assuming you can and assuming they did learn to position it this way, then it should still be okay to DI in the direction they came from, cause then you'd be SDIing the strong part away from fox and not even getting hit by the weak part.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
To make it simpler, when Fox looks at you this way (>>) when he grabs and throws up, you DI this way (<<) and when he hits you with the Uair, because of the angle he's coming at you, you would SDI this (>>) way.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Jiggs on Kongo Jungle 64: Y/N?

Personally, yes. It's too much fun for me. It's my counterpick if DL is banned. I don't feel confident enough on Brinstar :(.

idea

Smash Master
assuming they hit you with the weak hit, yes.

and...i don't really like kongo 64. but i know of some jiggs that do. i think it's better if you play more campy =P

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Kongo Jungle for that Magus' double stick DI :D. So good.

What do you guys think of YS? I'd take all the characters I can think of right now to YS, except for Sheik/Marth. I feel more comfortable spacing there, and edgeguarding happens a lot.

Also: How do you get out of shield pressure vs Falcon/Falco/Fox? I know vs Fox you can jump back -> rising pound. With Falco, you can sometimes rest OoS, and vs Falcon I have no idea. My Puff vs Falcon is bad, so I need advice other than crouching and not getting grabbed. I hear that a lot.

idea

Smash Master
i like taking fox's to yoshi's story when they camp me, which is often. otherwise i'd probably try dreamland or maybe battlefield. i've never really liked jiggs' counterpick stages.

and...how does falcon shield pressure you? you could probably crouch...or wavedash oos? or throw out uptilts. lol. it might be better to just shield less.

falcon is one of my favourite matchups =D it seems like everything you have beats his moves. especially nair. nair can beat his dair FROM BELOW. what is that bull****. all he really has on you is speed.

but then, we don't have any top level falcon mains around here, so i don't get a lot of serious practice vs. him. but...all your moves beat his, pretty much =P so maybe take note of what he's doing specifically and i'll see if i can think of something.

Xyless

Smash Master
I finally used my old Jiggs main in a Melee tourney today (instead of Mewtwo). Got 3rd in my pool, but sadly didn't get any further. I should've practiced with her more than Mewtwo, since she's a better character to practice L-Canceling.

wheeee

Xyless

Smash Master
Why thank you, good sir. If only I could draw like those Pokemon (it looks so simple, but it's still difficult), I'd make a Mewtwo and Jiggs and add them to it.

Actually, now that I think about it, the only two Pokemon I haven't played a lot of are Lucario (freaking bad Mewtwo "ripoff") and Pikachu. Even my Pichu got a lot of playtime back in the day :)

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Brawl... O.o

My Puff is plateau-ing. Help.

My Spacies matchup is fine, but my matchup against Falcon is pretty bad.

Does anyone know much about stage control vs matchups?

Also, I need help vs Doc.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Yes... I hear a lot of things for the Falcon matchup, but I can never seem to get any better at it. When I follow those "hints and tricks," I just play with a different playstyle. It doesn't make me more effective than I regularly am.

Except for the baiting tactics (empty hop, autocancel'd nair -> crouch in front of their shield). That's always too good.

idea

Smash Master
i guess...try approaching/comboing him. if that doesn't work, spam bair. but don't go too high up. it's pretty easy to run under jiggs with falcon.

and if you're spamming bair, also crouch a lot, cause that severely limits his options.

try playing falcon against someone else's jiggs and pay attention to what works for both of you.

Smash Master
I noticed you have in your matchup guide that you should be liberal in resting Peach because she can't punish it effectively. What I do against a missed rest is throw a turnip in the air, roll back and charge an up-smash. If spaced well the turnip hits you right into the semi-charged upsmash sweetspot, killing at like 60ish. Can you smash DI out of such a tactic?

Desh

Smash Ace
You're relying that you get a lucky turnip pull? You realize the turnips have different knock back/damage and stuff right?

and a turnip his can be smash DI'd... or just di.d

Maybe even cc'd. lmao.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, i have a feeling jiggs can use the turnip hit in different ways to avoid getting hit into the sweetspot. even without doing that it seems to be hard to set up consistently.

alternatively, use bair and don't get hit by turnips.

Smash Master
It's not hard. Stand next to jiggs. Throw turnip up. Roll behind. Wavedash forwards and charge upsmash. It works with every turnip from generic to stitchface, but I'm sure I haven't seen all possible DI's. It hasn't failed for me though. Also, you have to push jiggs a little bit after the wd.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I remember reading about doing turnip throw up, then charging up/down smash and either sweetspotting, or letting the dsmash hit multiple times with the help of the turnip, but after playing 1.5 years, I have never seen either work a single time
Not that I don't believe you, but are you sure it works on people as opposed to CPUs?

The worst that's happened to me is being faked out into CC'ing a dsmash

Smash Master
We'll, I don't play Peach often, but when I do come across that situation, it's never failed. I'll be around humans tomorrow, so I can ask them specifically to SDI away or something.

idea

Smash Master
The worst that's happened to me is being faked out into CC'ing a dsmash
yeah, don't CC vs peach. (except below)

edit:

try holding down

turnips are weak

if you can ground yourself from like sheik's dair to like 40 you can probably just cc the turnip

i'm pretty sure the dual d-smash at low percent is better, d-smash --> descending turnip --> another d-smash hit it's like 40%

and high percent idk if it works legit but f-throw --> descending turnip --> nair / uair seems better because you time the turnip to hit just as you release from throw so they can't di it much at all and then ko with uair if they fail or add more damage with nair and possibly kill

JJfox

Smash Cadet
I sometimes struggle with a basic element of the game when I play Jiggs - following up attacks. I'm so used to trying to space my ariels (e.g. hit into their sheild then retreat) sometimes when I actually hit them and send them off the stage, I can't follow up with a WoP and they return to the stage a lot easier and I don't get the combo in. Is there any way i can get better at reacting to where my attacks send opponents and being able to combo better in general? Is it just confidence?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
If you land a hit and end up retreating, it's most likely because you make your style of spacing into a habit, and you fall back on that habit without thinking. Real spacing is conscious, fast reactions to your opponent's actions, which I can't really do...
But basically just react when you see the hit connecting and stop DI'ing back. You don't need to be that fast to react.

Desh

Smash Ace
dont play for a few weeks .

Then when you play again, you might stop playing with those bad habits, and just play how you know you should.

S'what i do.

Its like rolling habits, i notice sometimes i play really stupidly, and continuously (just usin an example)
roll in towards marth, or tech in from his fthrow.

and i keep gettingpunished. Its just how i was reacting to the situation (Not thinking at all) . Just an immediate reaction.

So you're probably used to poking, and when you get off stage and hit someone, you retreat, and go 'oh ****. i could have _______' .

idk if this makes sense. But its what works for me to get rid of dum habits.

JJfox

Smash Cadet
Thanks man. "Real spacing is conscious" omg, that is so effort, how to the really good people just seem to own while turning around and talking to people behind them and eating cake? Has conscious spacing become unconscious for them? If so that's unfair:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom