• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Practice spacing your Fairs and stuff so you can eat Firefoxes easily and don't need to think about your positioning when you go to gimp them.

idea

Smash Master
can't do much by yourself...jiggs isn't all that technical. i still say her l-cancels are awkward, though. maybe work on shffling.

and you could try like...you vs. fox at lv. something-where-he-isn't-constantly-jabbing, and just keep hitting him with things for as long as you can.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
oh yea? thats cool. i play puff. my boards name is villain, but in game i go by "Darc". look me up on youtube, my matches are legit. (sorry i get cocky at times)
darc, look at this.

I would have sent it in a pm, but I was too lazy.

GSUB

Smash Lord
space backair
late backairs
bait her into your crouch by doing things that would make her want to grab you
don't get hit by needles
if you're standing under a platform, you can utilt her before she can drop down fair you (you have to know beforehand she's gonna do it though, and do it early)
scare her from going where she wants by predicting where she is going to go, and going there first, then punish her reactions

Kira-

Smash Champion
Flame Kira's Puff and tell me how bad it is

Hi I main Sheik so I need to learn.. what do I NOT do what I SHOULD be doing.

Watch any video in any order you want, I'd rather have you watch one that you WANT to watch so you're actually interested and paying attention to it. Also matchup advice is cool.. I really have no idea how to play any matchup with Puff. So here you go:

Spoiler tags show who wins

Winners Finals
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 1.2 Dreamland
close match, I lost
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 1.3 Dreamland
I won!
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 1.4 Stadium
Got ***** mostly

Grand Finals
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 2.1 Battlefield
lost
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 2.2 DK64
won 3 stock
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (Peach) 2.3 Battlefield
won
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 2.4 FoD
lost
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 2.5 Dreamland
won the set!

Set 2
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (ICs) 3.1 Yoshi's Story.. bad idea lol. Last combo is nuts
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (Fox) 3.2 DK64 - WARNING hardcore camping
lost
Kira (Puff) vs Fly Amanita (Sheik) 3.4 Stadium
lost

Some more specific questions:

- How can I get more rests?
- How do I approach Sheik?
- What to do to get out of IC grabs and Solo Popo grabs?
- Should I use dair more?
- Should I use different moves in certain situations? Example?

idea

Smash Master
wow, grand finals? didn't zhu go to that? well done =)

yeah, i have basically no experience with ICs either. in theory: they rely on grabs, so stay in the air a lot...and don't go above them much since their upair is fast and your dair isn't. and supposedly resting nana is pretty good...makes sense.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
hmm...yea, true.

btw Kira, why did u Counterpick like Brinstar, Pokefloats, Mutecity, or Rainbow Cruise.
oh and wow, u beasted through lucky too. good job!

idea

Smash Master
If fox spaces an upsmash on your shield is it possible to jump out and rest him in time?

Also, i wish jigglypuff can up tilt oos.
if it is possible when he spaces it correctly then i say it's not worth the risk. it would be like a 1 or 2 frame thing. maybe 3 =P not much.

if he misspaces it though, and ends up pretty close to you, then yeah it's definitely possible.

DJMirror

Smash Master
This is Kira

btw Kira, why did u Counterpick like Brinstar, Pokefloats, Mutecity, or Rainbow Cruise.
oh and wow, u beasted through lucky too. good job!
Pound 4 rules means Stadium, Cruise, Brinstar, and DK64 are the only counterpicks.

Brinstar was banned. And I dare you to counterpick Rainbow Cruise against Fly =) Too many have fallen prey to that bait.

wow, grand finals? didn't zhu go to that? well done =)
Zhu lost to Fly in winners and Alex19 in losers. So I didn't have to play him. It was a relatively small tournament. At the time, the only ranked players there were Fly Amanita, LuCKy, Zhu, and myself. Also LuCKy went all Falcon in our Winners Semis set. So he was gracious that day =)

Also I watched Mango vs Chu at RoM2 and Pound 4 about 3 times each. So I kinda knew what I was doing against ICs. I think I mainly need help against Peach and Sheik.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
GSUB rice didn't really space that hit that well.

I'm asking if it's possible to hit fox when he just barely hits your shield with the upsmash.

But if hungrybox says yes I'll just trust him >_>

idea

Smash Master
I think I mainly need help against Peach and Sheik.
with puff?

ehh i don't wanna explain these again in detail X_X

peach: bair a lot. and peach can't punish rest very well so it's more safe than usual (but harder to combo into too). unless she dash attacks you--just jump out of shield and rest.

sheik: crouch a lot. she can't grab you when you crouch...at least not in the way she's used to spamming it, you have to do running grab or something...i dunno, but the end result is that crouch is really safe and good against sheik. do that + bairs/fairs basically. also to edgeguard, get her offstage, grab the edge, when she up-bs onstage rest her in the lag.

be really patient with both matchups. (lol what a surprise)

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Peach is just a bunch of bairs. It's a spacing game. Just watch out for fair.

Also Peach can trade better than Puff imo, so try (edit) NOT to get inside of her after a fair or a bair. Unless you're confident enough that she can't nair you.

The crouching thing against sheik is iffy. Some sheiks just won't grab you unless they're sure they CAN grab you. Just try to abuse that you can out prioritize any of sheiks downward moves. She'll camp platforms and that's when you need to hit her. On her way up you can catch her with upairs. One upair is all you need sometimes. Uptilt works if you can bait her to try and hit you on the ground.

Watch out for that fair. Sheik only attacks you when you're in the air. So if you whiff a bair or anything she can punish most of the time if you don't space it that well.

Most importantly. Be gay. If you have her off the stage you want to grab that ledge. Sure you can try and hit her with bairs but make sure you grab that ledge. You can rest her recovery pretty easily unless it's crew battles.

The above strat is always the norm for most people. So you might be able to catch some sheiks off guard if you try and hit them instead of grabbing the ledge. Some sheiks will predict the normal getup on the ledge and try and go directly for the ledge(I really don't know how to say it LOL) so try rolling on the ledge to give you the extra time to make her seem silly and dead.

Whenever you feel overrun by any of any characters moves you should always just get your ground back and start bairing until you're in a position to attack/mixup. Don't just run at them after getting hit by something thinking you can punish their lag. Most of the time they'll predict accordingly since that option is so obvious.

Please critique my advice if you don't agree with anything. It's a learning experience for me if you do. Plus most of my strats are in theory since I mostly auto-pilot my matchups.

Also ICies is lol. I got the lead against Vanz one time and just decided to camp the top platform the rest of the match so I wouldn't get grabbed. I felt gay, but I was laughing inside.

Edit: Hungrybox you're so dumb with your jab rest ****. I still don't even have the balls to try it in friendlies

GSUB

Smash Lord
OH SHIIII
THATTTTTTTTTTTT
Ahahahahhahah

I love that...
I use it, and I have to give props to Hbox for it, because I copied it from him n_n

jab'n their shield, they think you can't follow up so they jump out or try and grab, lolololol
makes people look at you with an angry WTF face and ragequit matches, ahhaha.

straight up jumping into someone's shield then jumping and resting right after is pretty **** too :)

idea

Smash Master
thanks for vindicating my understanding of matchups :bee:

i might have agreed with you about crouch, but every time i play kirbykaze he tells me to crouch more and never stop crouching. and he also tells me to do things like fair his shield and just crouch. i mean it's not like he can dtilt out of shield, right <_< so i can see why that would be scary for the sheik. and sooner or later it could bait a grab.

Oh not that jab rest ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1uf82YPrE#t=3m55

This jab rest ****.
holy **** what

that's so dumb :laugh: i've gotta try that.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
yea, i tried that on Spaceballs with puff. How does H[_] do it, Its not that easy.

stackOverflow

Smash Cadet
Ya, darc, i really appreciated your advice, because everyone always just says crouch against sheik and then i played tope and got *****. He only went for grabs after needles and stuff and made me look stupid everytime i crouched. There are still times to crouch in that matchup because you can crouch much more than her grab, but i think crouching is overrated. If mango was ever on these boards anymore, im pretty sure he'd say "only noobs duck with puff".

idea

Smash Master
crouching vs. sheik isn't so much a strategy on its own as it is a rule of thumb. ask yourself, why would i ever want to stand up straight =P

it also lets you auto-crouch cancel her aerials and get fsmashes and grabs and stuff. the latter works better than it sounds...jiggs' fsmash is surprisingly strong.

other than that you have to be really careful with aerials. i like to use fairs once she's near the ground, but you can also try to bair above her head in a way that is mostly safe, but still close enough to catch her if she jumps. sheik's jump is fast, so you have to be bairing before the sheik even tries to jump.

come to think of it though i guess i mostly crouch and fair and make it up as i go. but bair is probably better in this matchup cause of range. i think i'm just more fair-oriented in general.

darc said that you want to get below sheik...well, she wants to get below you, too. either directly above or within the angle that needles will hit you. so...don't let that happen. i expend a good deal of my energy in that matchup just trying to avoid needles. they lead into more damaging things.

pretty much every character in this game is vulnerable from below. the only sort-of exception is falco. but if you've ever tried falling on someone with dairs repeatedly you'd know that doesn't work either. also please don't go try that =P

also i think it was implied, but you have to wavedash around a lot while crouching. crouching in place doesn't work <_<

edit: i think most of those were just m2k missing on his own. you can duck fox's grab, though, you just need very good timing. that would be down to very few frames too. i remember once vanz explained that the initial part of crouch is lower than the rest, so you need to crouch exactly as he tries to grab you. (but if you fail, upthrow and possible upair...)

Kira-

Smash Champion
Thanks for all the advice =) I think attacking Sheik when she first jumps is a pretty good opening.

Also.. can you crouch IC grabs?

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
You can't normally.

You might be able to the way you can duck Fox's grab, but I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't be that daring against ICies though. Too scurred.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Glad it helps :D

Wow I just said "try to get inside of peach"

I mean try NOT to get inside of peach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom