• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Jobs: 1955-2011

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
They were.

The idea of hijacking planes and flying them full speed into skyscrapers as as suicide bombing terrorist act was genius and it's probably one of the most successful if not the most successful act of terrorism of all time.
The only act of terrorism that comes to mind as having more of an impact is the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They were.

The idea of hijacking planes and flying them full speed into skyscrapers as as suicide bombing terrorist act was genius and it's probably one of the most successful if not the most successful act of terrorism of all time.

That is innovation.
That's actually incredibly true, in a twisted way.

That said, I'd like to point out that only on the internet can a topic go from Steve Jobs died > the 9/11 attacks were innovative.

Honestly, I don't see why either side is getting too much of a stick up their ***es though. You don't like Apple? Okay, cool...the death of Steve Jobs has no effect on Apple's current position anyway, he wasn't even CEO when he died. And just because you don't like Apple doesn't mean there aren't people who do, and it doesn't mean that there aren't products by Apple that are good. You like Apple? Okay, cool...feel bad for the fact that he's dead, remember him, but don't act like Jesus just got shot.

Call me a douchebag but I always hate how somebody dies and then for the next week you hear about nothing but their death, and when anybody says anything not perfectly nice, people get angry about respecting the dead. I told my friends last night, when I die, I don't want people running around being like "Oh he was the greatest person ever!" because I wasn't. People are so worried about not hurting other people's feelings that they can't even stand honesty when the person isn't even alive to hear what you're saying.

And that's my blunt honesty for the day.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Why do you think you know this? Do you know how much work it takes to do what he did? Do you know how difficult or hard he found that work to be? Do you know how he treated his employees? Do you know Steve Jobs? Do you know what his IQ is? I don't get how you could say things like this unless you know him personally or have studied his life extensively.
I can say this because I've watched interviews on him where he discusses this, and I've watched a documentary on the start of the computer industry (essentially). I know enough to be able to say that Jobs worked really hard on Apple when he was in charge the first time around, and certainly when he came back.

I mean...it's public information...

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Second of all, I don't think anyone in the thread has suggested that apple products have had no influence in the computer world.
Seriously. Saying "the products/technology sucks and is overpriced therefore it has not innovated or had influence on culture at all" is....well, ********.
And this (^) was in response to your post:

Apple computers are overpriced and mediocre.
iphones are overpriced and mediocre.
ipads are overpriced and mediocre.
MAC OS is just...just terrible.
itunes is one of the worst programs I have ever had the displeasure of having on my hard drive.

The only decent piece of technology that came from Apple was the Ipod, and there is absolutely nothing special about it. At all.

As for whether something influencing culture makes it innovative.... LOL please.
Countless things influence culture that are not innovative at all.

Which brings me to this:

I am pretty tired of people treating their opinions like they are objective facts.

ANYWAYS, I was just trying to say what LT was saying (albeit more nicer).

frotaz37

Smash Lord
lol come on Glowworm, it's pretty safe to assume that somebody who states their views on the value of a material object is speaking from their perspective alone. Unless they straight up say that their views are objective (which actually happened in this thread, but not from me), why would you automatically assume that they think they're stating facts? All this does is increase the chances of starting a flame war, or increase the chances of some person feeling the need to say "Well that is your opinion!!!111", neither of which are beneficial to the thread.

But you know, even if I had said "I think" before each of those statements, I doubt the responses I got would have been any different. I often do include such per-fixes in my posts, and it usually doesn't have much effect on whether or not people get mad and start flaming.

Also Teran (our resident expert terrorist) is right, using the 9/11 attacks as an example of something that isn't innovative was a terrible example on my part, because I suppose one could view them as innovative and it'd be hard to argue with that perspective. That being said, I still don't think that something that influences culture deserves to be instantly labeled as innovative. There are so many things that influence culture that would be hard to call innovative, like say...diseases and natural disasters...or iMacs ;)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
"I think Apple products are mediocre" is fine. "I think Apple products are mediocre and therefore Steve Jobs did not innovate during his lifetime" is objectively wrong. You are entitled to your opinions but when you begin making factually incorrect assumptions with your opinion as the premise, it is simply wrong.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The only act of terrorism that comes to mind as having more of an impact is the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
We called that the lighting of the powder keg back in history class. :3

Speaking of that analogy, looks like Jobs kicking the bucket has relit the old Apple debates and I find it pretty hilarious.

I mean, I have my opinions, but heh there's no use flogging a dead horse AND a dead man.

:3

frotaz37

Smash Lord
"I think Apple products are mediocre" is fine. "I think Apple products are mediocre and therefore Steve Jobs did not innovate during his lifetime" is objectively wrong. You are entitled to your opinions but when you begin making factually incorrect assumptions with your opinion as the premise, it is simply wrong.
Read the part of my big post where I explained why innovation is something that is completely dependent on perspective. You're still going on about facts when there is no way "Steve Jobs innovated during his lifetime" comes anywhere close to being a fact. It's not possible to be objectively wrong about something that holds no objectivity to begin with.

Best thing Steve Jobs did, imo, was form Pixar. Love them movies :cool:

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Best thing Steve Jobs did, imo, was form Pixar. Love them movies :cool:
I'm going to throw a few things out there since you obviously have spite due to regurgitated knowledge you've probably read somewhere. Look at you! Being influenced by some random individual. Lololol.

There were some interesting things about Steve Jobs besides his miniscule dark side.

- He was adopted.

- He used to walk 7 miles to a place that gave out food once a week.

- He was of course a visionary, regardless of how you see it. He still had a dream, and he carried it better than most people.

- He wasn't like most CEO's who worked under a nice salary per year. He actually came to work for 1 dollar per year, and lived off the money from the shares. (I honestly forgot most of the terms they've used. You get the idea.)

- He is the sole reason why Apple wasn't run into the ground.

That being said..

Frotaz, learn to form a logical argument instead of using left-overs from something you had read that contradicted Steve Jobs' side that we know and love. Right now, you're making yourself look really ********. Lol.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Steve Jobs didn't found/form Pixar.

also, lol at AV telling someone to form a logical argument about something.
Didn't he? From what I understand, he bought the company that would later turn into Pixar. I know he had something to do with it. I'm not really an expert on such things though.

And AV is just mad because he was PMing me nonsense and I vehemently told him off.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, he bought the company out well before they had made anything of substance, so it probably could be argued that he had something to do with their early films. I know he was an exec producer on Toy Story.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Just thought I should say that Steve Jobs introduced the first computer with a GUI in 1984. That in itself was a major innovation for computers. Microsoft even began using this format in order to make their Operating Systems more accessible. It's the reason why computers are so easy to use nowadays.

RIP Steve Jobs

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Well, he bought the company out well before they had made anything of substance, so it probably could be argued that he had something to do with their early films. I know he was an exec producer on Toy Story.
Roger that. For a second there I thought my brain had betrayed me. Although...it may have already done that years ago.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I thought you were done with this thread, frotaz. Never posted in here before, but just saying.

if you're done, you're done bro. lol

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Just thought I should say that Steve Jobs introduced the first computer with a GUI in 1984. That in itself was a major innovation for computers. Microsoft even began using this format in order to make their Operating Systems more accessible. It's the reason why computers are so easy to use nowadays.

RIP Steve Jobs
This is what I was trying to say, and what john! said, and was pointedly overlooked by frotaz. But whatever. The man was great, whether or not you liked his products (and I don't own anything from Apple).

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I thought you were done with this thread, frotaz. Never posted in here before, but just saying.

if you're done, you're done bro. lol
:cool:

This is what I was trying to say, and what john! said, and was pointedly overlooked by frotaz.
The first computer with a GUI was by Xerox. Why are you saying I am overlooking things when you yourself said this? You're condemning me for not addressing a point that you already proved wrong.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
The first computer with a GUI was by Xerox. Why are you saying I am overlooking things when you yourself said this? You're condemning me for not addressing a point that you already proved wrong.
Yes. I did say this. But Apple introduced this GUI to the market, not Xerox, and they were the ones who essentially brought it to Microsoft's attention, as well. I'm saying that you overlooked this because you seem to not acknowledge Apple's strong influence and innovation in the early years of the computer industry.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Yes. I did say this. But Apple introduced this GUI to the market, not Xerox, and they were the ones who essentially brought it to Microsoft's attention, as well. I'm saying that you overlooked this because you seem to not acknowledge Apple's strong influence and innovation in the early years of the computer industry.
I really don't know what to say other than...are you just not reading my posts? I have stated MULTIPLE times that I am not suggesting that Apple/Steve Jobs had no influence on the computer industry. He did have influence. His company had influence. I have also stated my stance on the concept of innovation...so why would I acknowledge something I don't agree with?

Also, from what I understand, Steve Jobs wasn't even the lead designer for this GUI you seem to want to give him so much credit for. This all goes back to my original point. Steve Jobs seems like he was a business man who was very innovative when it came to marketing and PR (and ripping people off ;)), not some great inventor who is solely responsible for changing the world of computers.

T_T

I am not overlooking anything.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
:cool:

Xerox did create the first GUI, but Steve Jobs was the one to put it on the market with the Apple Lisa in 1984. It's true that Steve himself didn't create or design the GUI for Macs, but he was the one who pushed his team to develop the computer centered around a GUI. This made computers easily accessible to general the public.

So yeah, he wasn't all that innovative so I see why you don't think he is. I kinda agree that he wasn't all that innovative, but I respect what he did for the world of computers.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I really don't know what to say other than...are you just not reading my posts? I have stated MULTIPLE times that I am not suggesting that Apple/Steve Jobs had no influence on the computer industry. He did have influence. His company had influence. I have also stated my stance on the concept of innovation...so why would I acknowledge something I don't agree with?

Also, from what I understand, Steve Jobs wasn't even the lead designer for this GUI you seem to want to give him so much credit for. This all goes back to my original point. Steve Jobs seems like he was a business man who was very innovative when it came to marketing and PR (and ripping people off ;)), not some great inventor who is solely responsible for changing the world of computers.

T_T

I am not overlooking anything.
Um...fair enough, I suppose. I give him credit as far as the idea to incorporate it into his computers. And he isn't solely responsible for changing the computer world, but he did do so to a measurable extent. And it's not as if Jobs simply ordered people around or anything. He was a programmer, and did work (but that's not completely on topic).

I always thought Steve Jobs was an *** while he was alive, and that he released really bad products, but people never insulted my character over it. Now that he's dead though, every time I mention that I thought he was an ***, it turns into this huge debacle over how much of an insensitive douche bag I am, because I can say "such things" about Steve Jobs.

Apparently I need to have more respect for the dead, but nobody cared when I said that same thing to others when Osama died.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I always thought Steve Jobs was an *** while he was alive, and that he released really bad products, but people never insulted my character over it. Now that he's dead though, every time I mention that I thought he was an ***, it turns into this huge debacle over how much of an insensitive douche bag I am, because I can say "such things" about Steve Jobs.

Apparently I need to have more respect for the dead, but nobody cared when I said that same thing to others when Osama died.
That's because the man organized a suicide bombing that obliterated an entire building and made another one collapse, killing thousands

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that baws over 9/11, but the fact that every american hates him for that is the reason why nobody would say anything if you said **** about Osama when he died. Hell, I heard in several places, people were actually out partying that Osama had finally died. I mean, at least Jobs revolutionized the way we lived for the better (I swear to God the iPhone is not a piece of ****ty technology, compared to the Android, the iPhone is like a mill times better imo and OSX doesn't suck **** either, you people hate it because it can't play games right) by being the man to introduce commercial computers into our homes. Hell, all the great movies we have today such as the entire Toy Story series, or hell, everything that Pixar has ever made wouldn't have been possible had Jobs not helped kick start the company into fame. Like for real people, the man didn't just make computers, he made helped make Toy Story and without him the movie wouldn't have been made, and out entire generation wouldn't have gone without Woody or Buzz

For people to say that Jobs was completely worthless during his life is a complete lie considering he did so much for us

The point is that a death is a death, and whatever accomplishments the person made during his lifetime should be irrelevant when people tell me to respect the dead because "death is a very serious/tragic thing". Both died, and one should be criticized when mocking both of their deaths instead of just one.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Exactly.

That someone died should not stop someone from speaking their honest opinion about them. To play faux-emotional over it, especially to the point of attacking people who don't blindly masturbate the recently deceased, is for absolutely nothing beyond a vain attempt to broadcast yourself as an empathetic person.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Exactly.

That someone died should not stop someone from speaking their honest opinion about them. To play faux-emotional over it, especially to the point of attacking people who don't blindly masturbate the recently deceased, is for absolutely nothing beyond a vain attempt to broadcast yourself as an empathetic person.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311569

Hey PRoom, this might benefit you.

Edit: I was sad when MJ died because he was going to do a concert in London AND I WAS GOING TO GO :mad:

Top Bottom