• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Assault and its competitive potential

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
tough choice
F zero is a fun and very challenging racer but people usually get turned away from it because it's too hard
Star Fox assault's multi player is almost on par with melee but thats just me
although if you don't have anyone to play with, there would be problems

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Star Fox assault's single player is a disgrace in gaming, comparable to the likes of Superman 64, the multiplayer however is a little above average and somewhat fun. However I would recomend F-Zero GX as it can be very fun if you get good at it and with the vehicle editor, the many racetracks, story mode and a large amount of unlockabables it is a much better game, and would last longer most probably.

Yaya

Smash Champion
While the Single Player is bad, it is nowhere near THAT Bad, it's below average at least.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
the multiplayer on assault was awesome.especially when you could have a jetpack
QFT

Having someone drive the plane and you sitting on the wihg with a jetpack was awesome! Then (on corneria, my favourite stage) I would jump and land on a building, from there start rocket launcing my friend/brother who was driving the plane :p

HAXage

Smash Rookie
hey guys, this is HAXage, organizer of the Revoleague for SFA, and the only reason i've signed up on this forum is to say that you guys are awesome; not only have you already seen how great this game could be, but you actually referenced OUR SITE (sfacorner.forumer.com)... *squee*

if anyone wants more info, i'm trying to finish a huge Advance Guide that I'll shortly post on GameFaqs (which you might want to read). again, thanks a lot for letting me know that other people care about this game. i'm out of town right now, but just got a Capture Card and will start filming ASAP.

DethToll

Smash Cadet
Others are way ahead of you, guys. Granted, it's a much smaller community than we are (I think it's just a couple of guys), but they exist.

http://sfacorner.19.forumer.com/
I'm one of the admins of this forum (Cac.) HAXage is the other. So yes, we exist on smashboards.
Visit if you please.

Yes there are more of us. Not on the forum though.

Although people who looked at the forum didn't mention it, there are some advanced techniques in SFA. You might know a few subconsciously, who knows. Just for the purpose of this topic the ruleset we use is vehicles off, wolf banned, demon launchers off, Sauria, Simple Map 5, and vehicle only levels banned, and 5 lives. We use pretty much the same slob pick stuff smash uses.

Also, Falco is top tier. Have fun with that.

DethToll

Smash Cadet
Evasion frames? If you know something the rest of us don't, then please, detail, either here or there.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure why I'm defending a tiny competitive scene for a game I don't play often, and they'll probably never read this. Oh, well.
Well, I'm going to eat my words now. :p

To the Revoleague people:

Hi guys, I'm the reason you got noticed. Thanks for quoting me in your announcement thing. :p I think I randomly stumbled upon you guys on youtube a long time ago and saw the forum, read around for a bit, thought that it was cool what you were trying to do, and just left it alone for a while. Then this came up many months later.

I'm actually not much a fan of SFA myself (I own a copy and my brother and I played it for a while, but never competitively, my favorite multiplayer mode personally was sniper only on Corneria), but I commend the effort you're trying to put into this, especially with games like Halo and Call of Duty and CS out there in the FPS market. Kinda like how I support the Brawl community here, but I generally stop short of actually playing the game because I don't like the playstyle. Good to see you're trying to give a game like this a chance. I don't know if one link from a smashboards topic would be enough to get national recognition that would make SFA's popularity explode, but hey, it's definitely a start. :)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Evasion frames? If you know something the rest of us don't, then please, detail, either here or there.
You know how characters can perform an evasive roll in SFA? You press either left or right on the control stick + L simultaneously to do it.

It basically helps you avoid Rockets once they are sent flying at you, and they can help you avoid certain situations.

Wolf:

Has the longest evasive move in the game. It isn't even a roll, it is literally a wavedash.

The duration of this gliding animation is encumbered by: Invincibility frames. You can't shoot him until he's done the move. Also, because his is so much longer than any of the other characters', it gives him a pretty big advantage.

He glide over mines, through certain bullets, even avoids splash damage from guided or auto-rockets. Its also impossible to snipe a dodge-happy Wolf.

DethToll

Smash Cadet
Has the longest evasive move in the game. It isn't even a roll, it is literally a wavedash.

The duration of this gliding animation is encumbered by: Invincibility frames. You can't shoot him until he's done the move. Also, because his is so much longer than any of the other characters', it gives him a pretty big advantage.

He glide over mines, through certain bullets, even avoids splash damage from guided or auto-rockets. Its also impossible to snipe a dodge-happy Wolf.
He isn't invincible at any time during the dodge, but I'll definitely agree with you that he's broken for other reasons. Falco's is nearly as long, and Peppy's is just pathetic.

@talking_chicken obviously it isn't enough for immediate recognition, but I'm still impressed. It's mostly my fault for never recording/uploading my matches anyways.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
The Light House is a pretty populated area of the Smash Boards, and the idea of any Nintendo game with good multiplayer right now is sure to turn some heads. So, this may very well get some credit going for the game once people see how hard you guys have been working at making it competitive.

Anyway, this does fascinate me. I only know one person with a 'Cube, so I just rented the game, beat the campaign, and returned it. I didn't get to do as much multiplayer as I would like, but it looks really cool when I see you guys do it.

HAXage

Smash Rookie
@ talking_chicken:

you live in vancouver, bc according to your location? so do i and Cac (near it at least), which is pretty cool

@ Viroxor:

thanks for the compliments : P and make sure you watch my YouTube page because, as i said, I just got a capture card and am dying to try it out.

@ Dark Hart:

absolutely right about reversal weapons off, demon launchers are cheap and shouldn't be used. ever.

example of cheesy reversal weapon strat: pretend you're a noob and let yourself get KO'd four times (in standard Revoleague 5-point match) then unleash your fury with the launcher. cheap and banned in Revoleague play.

anyway, here's hoping you guys are interested enough in this game to play it more and maybe check out my upcoming Advance Guide on GameFaqs.

clowsui

Smash Legend
You have seven registered members; I think it's fair to say that that kind of ruleset is not very balanced at all given that only seven members will make a verdict on said ruleset.

Which is why, of course, we bring the rules discussion here!

(In other news, bump)

Moreover I still think that vehicles should be allowed in at least doubles play simply because it allows for interesting combat between the AR/LM/Ground - you need to balance all three simply because it's easy to get terminated if you just go AR the whole match with the LM...but if you decide to ditch AR to get Snipers/Homers/Missles then it's a whole different story because now the person has to rush to get AR to prevent easy pickings by ground weapons. Can you prevent their rush? Or will they perhaps stay in the LM and fight it out? etc.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
In fairness, there may be a small number of them but they've been playing this game competitively for years. They know the metagame of Star Fox Assault in and out, in fact, they are the metagame. If you think about it, the SBR come up with the recommended ruleset for Smash and there arent many SBR members.

clowsui

Smash Legend
But the thing about the SBR is that the people who got in there got in there because they have had competitive experience within a system that was established by a community.

Here we have a situation where competitive experience is limited due to the small number of opponents and a community that is awfully limited or is just not unified. We also have a system that was established by these people with limited experience in terms of community + opponents. I'm not trying to demean the skill of HAXage and co. but what I'm trying to say is that you can't present the REVOLeague as an established institution if it's composed of only seven people who decided one day to make themselves the official leaders of a competitive community. It just doesn't work like that -_-

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
It can only be done if Wolf is banned.
If it was possible,I'd main Falco and Slippy...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Kinda random, but has anyone else here done the Arwing-catapult trick (copyright)?

Someone with a Booster Pack stands on the tip of an Arwing's wing, then the pilot does a barrel roll in the opposite direction while the Booster Pack holder simultaneously jumps and holds the jump button. This sends the person flying super-high into the air. It's best used on Titania, where you can fly way above the big swirly cloud and get a nice view too. My brother and I randomly discovered it one day.

clowsui

Smash Legend
You don't understand: if we allowed Wolf, the game would degenerate into Wolf dittos. Wolf's Airdash is ridiculous, he has crazy dodge invincibility, has a big aim cursor, takes TWO snipers...anything else? >_>;

If we allowed Metaknight (which we have), we would not degenerate into MK dittos.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Competitive SFA is an awesome idea. I'm a metroid fan more than a starfox fan, but Assault had an awesome multiplayer despite the crappy single player. However, there are several things I would add to SFA to make it's multiplayer better.

-Blue Marine and Cornerian Fighter.
-Bill Grey, Katt, Panther, and Leon. 64 characters ftw.
-Add more depth to the stats. Give each character their own speed jump and crosshair size instead of splitting them into 3.
-Aquas, a REAL Zoness stage, Sector X/Y/Z and Meteor Field for dogfights, and Venom.
-Theme Music so you always know who's winning. Yes I got this from Rayman Arena, which was not too good, but the victory music system was sweet.

This idea was suggested about a year ago by local tournament attenders, and we have a tournament for Star Fox Assault every half year in three categories. And it works really well, even for singles.

Oh, while I'm on the topic of SFA, I've heard of a thing called a Demon Sniper. What is it exactly, and how do I get it?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Oh, while I'm on the topic of SFA, I've heard of a thing called a Demon Sniper. What is it exactly, and how do I get it?
It's a sniper rifle with a wider and more powerful beam that will kill vehicles (and even Wolf!) in one-hit. You get it by finding all the hidden flags in every level in one-player mode.

M@v

Subarashii!
i haven't played too much assault multiplayer, but I would definitely play. Also, Star fox for wii would have so much potential for online play and normal gameplay...but I just have a really bad gut feeling Nintendo is going to mess up the next star fox game bad.

Think about it..., Wiimote is the joy stick, nunchuck is your throttle. It would be possible with the wii motion plus that is coming out.

Online, imagine it.
20 or more people. Just like assault, you can choose your character. But instead of just deathmatch, you throw in CTF mode too. You have Mixed levels and Arwing/wolfen only levels. On the aircraft only levels, you choose your specific plane. Arwing, wolfen, cornerian fighter, the possibilites are endless. And since voice chat is being introduced with animal crossing, the possibility of coordinating attacks is there.

One thing about singleplayer for the next starfox: IT BETTER BE at least 80% arwing only, or the ground combat better be massively improved. Assault campaign could of been amazing, if it wasnt for some of the crappy groundlevels, plus the fact your on the ground more than airborne.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
i haven't played too much assault multiplayer, but I would definitely play. Also, Star fox for wii would have so much potential for online play and normal gameplay...but I just have a really bad gut feeling Nintendo is going to mess up the next star fox game bad.

Think about it..., Wiimote is the joy stick, nunchuck is your throttle. It would be possible with the wii motion plus that is coming out.

Online, imagine it.
20 or more people. Just like assault, you can choose your character. But instead of just deathmatch, you throw in CTF mode too. You have Mixed levels and Arwing/wolfen only levels. On the aircraft only levels, you choose your specific plane. Arwing, wolfen, cornerian fighter, the possibilites are endless. And since voice chat is being introduced with animal crossing, the possibility of coordinating attacks is there.

One thing about singleplayer for the next starfox: IT BETTER BE at least 80% arwing only, or the ground combat better be massively improved. Assault campaign could of been amazing, if it wasnt for some of the crappy groundlevels, plus the fact your on the ground more than airborne.

I think Nintendo would be smart enough to include GCC compatibilities.

-:bowser:Bowser King

majora_787

Smash Hero

Online, imagine it.

Well I hope they don't chAnge the MULTIPLAYER much other than fix a few things, add the Cornerian Fighter, the Blue Marine, more stages and pilots...

But I agree with single player. Also, all of the bosses were too easy except for the one on fichina.

But I enjoyed the sniper mission, it just ended fast.

M@v

Subarashii!
Gamecube controller, as said, wouldnt be a bad idea either. At the bare minumum class controller. But they should take a crack at the joystick/throttle idea. If it turns out to be crap, you will have the gc/classic controller.

Well I hope they don't chAnge the MULTIPLAYER much other than fix a few things, add the Cornerian Fighter, the Blue Marine, more stages and pilots...

But I agree with single player. Also, all of the bosses were too easy except for the one on fichina.

But I enjoyed the sniper mission, it just ended fast.
the ice level was the worst. So boring. The boss was easy, it was just that there is a time limit.

The aparoid queen can be tricky on hard, but it isnt bad at all.

LOVE the assault arwing design though.

Top Bottom